Stressless 06-Sep-21
Stressless 08-Sep-21
Ben farmer 16-Sep-21
Bow Man 18-Feb-22
TrapperKayak 18-Feb-22
Stressless 20-Feb-22
t-roy 20-Feb-22
01-Sep-21
I had clover planted in my food plot for several years & although I've treated the field with Imox the weeds won. So, in the spring I'm going to turn the field under & go through the disk, rake, & nuke the field. Because I've had clover planted for years, I'de like to plant something else for a season or two & then go back to clover. I can't plant corn or beans because the deer mow it down before it matures. So, I'm looking for suggestions as what to plant. I did a soil sample last year so I think I'm ok there. Any suggestions as to what I should plant? The plot is 3 acers.

01-Sep-21
Winter Wheat and Rye in fall/winter/spring, followed by a mix of sunflower, chicory, millet, sorghum, buckwheat, and beans in the summer. These plants will help build your soil and take up the nitrogen that your clover fixated. Your weeds love nitrogen and if you don't have something scavenging it up in a clover plot your weeds will show up and do it for you.

01-Sep-21
I'm curious (because I'm on like year 4 of my clover plot) but did you mow it at all to help maintain it and keep the weeds at bay? I had just built a mower and mowed mine. I've had the same problem that you've described trying to grow anything other than oats - the deer just mow it flat. The clover seems to be something that can withstand the browsing pressure that I get.

01-Sep-21
I wouldn't wait till spring,if you are going to kill it spray and plant winter wheat or oats

01-Sep-21
X2. I’d definitely kill now and plant a perennial with a cover crop.

01-Sep-21
With some amount of labor you get this going for a couple years. There's vids that show how to broadcast the seed and crimp with a 2x6 and rope. If it's 1/4 acre or under it should be very doable.

03-Sep-21
Thought-out the life span of my clover plot, I mowed it when the clover flowered out. Its too late in the year to replant at this time. There is still some patches of clover intermingled in the weeds & deer are still feeding on it. My deer season opens in a few weeks so replanting at this time will not work.

However, in the spring, I will turn the plot under and plant something. I'm just not sure what would be best....

Help pls...

06-Sep-21
Spray it with some Clethodim 2E Selective weed killer!

https://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=521&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp521&sc_intid=521&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-NaJBhDsARIsAAja6dNtLueWyyfTB2GyntH5RaJlI8XPTitn1wvIkSWsXgqlc0xprmcr3MEaAnybEALw_wcB

06-Sep-21

Stressless's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

C5ken - If you're plan is to kill it next spring in 7 months - Spray it today - right now, with 2qt/acre glyphosate and seed 150-200# cereal rye/acre and your perennial legume(s) of choice.

Never take a 'bad' plot into the season.

Kill it all, weeds and weak legumes. The following is a plot that was coming in very weak late summer '20 right about now. Thatch was heavy from killing the weeds and grasses but just run it over with a chain or light harrow or any drag - no disking.

This is the bottom winter of '19-'20 I took a bad into the season and that corner of the land just didn't draw movement like it should in '20-'21 I got in front of it and am taking a great plot into the season.

06-Sep-21

Bottom Plot, killed last fall, 200# or rye in Sep, frost seeded Clover/BFT/Chicory in early Mar - first cut was Wednesday cut to about 8" high.

06-Sep-21

06-Sep-21

I terminated the rye and other weeds 6oz per acre IMOX in mid- Apr. Worked like a champ.

This was just after the first cut in July of this year.

08-Sep-21

Current Bottom plot

16-Sep-21

18-Feb-22
Greetings. What is your current status? Did you follow Stressless advice?

18-Feb-22
No, all my advice is stressed.

20-Feb-22
Well, that Bottom Plot worked out for me.

This is bottom plot on 28 Oct '21 after I I worked to recover it as described above.

20211028-170901

This is the #1 Hitlist 'Dutton' walking up the plot..

20211028-175415

Dint run 50 yards I double lunged him at 18 yrds... in the middle of the plot. 34416

"The harder you work, the luckier you get"

20-Feb-22
Good stuff, stressless! Looks great. Congrats on your buck, as well.

• Sitka Gear