MA-PAdeerslayer 09-Sep-21
wkochevar 09-Sep-21
lewis 09-Sep-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 09-Sep-21
RIT 09-Sep-21
WH1974 09-Sep-21
RIT 10-Sep-21
08-Sep-21
I have a question about how scent proof a Redneck blind is. I have deer spending all night in a food plot right next to a Redneck blind. My question is: If I would spend all night in the blind for the next mornings hunt do you think the deer would smell me in the blind? Thanks in advance for anyone with experience giving their opinion.

08-Sep-21
I own 3 and IMO they do a good job of cutting your scent down considerably but I have been winded from my blinds even when they’re sealed up - meaning all windows closed tightly and the rubber covers over the vent holes,

But I’ve spent far more time upwind of deer that never detected me. It might be worth a try.

08-Sep-21
You might need to run a dehumidifier in it if you are going to spend that much time sealed up inside an uninsulated hardwired blind. Assuming you would need to get in the blind before deer get there in the afternoon and staying all night you are talking about 15+ hours of breathing.

08-Sep-21
Or you could fill it up with stuff with your scent on it and leave it out there so they are used to your scent.

08-Sep-21
I always put my ground bind downwind of the trail I am watching. I also leave the blind there since it is on my property. The deer get used to the smell after a while. My wife hung one of my sweaty T shirts in the garden to keep the deer out of the kale. That worked for about two days and then they would come right out, even with the smelly shirt waving in the wind. Several years ago an old timer checked in a really big buck. He put a chair and a dummy holding a gun right on the edge of a corn field. Opening morning he moved the dummy and sat in the chair. He shot the big buck as soon as it got light.

08-Sep-21
Saw Eichler do it

08-Sep-21
I can see where they will contain your scent. Rather than having your scent blowing all over the place it will collect and build up inside of the blind. Clearly air has to get in and out of the blind or you will die once the oxygen is gone. As your scent builds up in the blind what escapes will be stronger and stronger. Scent eliminating sprays and good hygiene will help but there will be some scent in your breath. I would think that the less time spent in the blind and the fewer people in the blind the better they will work to control scent. Spending the night in the blind may allow every deer using the field to know you are there before it is light out. I would try having someone drop me off with a vehicle a couple of hours before light first. Deer like to feed right around day break and may come back if it seems like the danger left.

08-Sep-21
Add an ozonics in there

08-Sep-21
Seal it up tight, add an ozonics and go to your happy hunting grounds.

Aren’t those things like noise amplifiers? If you bump them or something? How are you sure you’re going to be quiet while sleeping? Do you roll around at night? Do you snore? As someone else mentioned if it’s air tight you’re dead. If it isn’t, some scent is leaving.

I’d do it to beat them there, but not if they spend the night around it. But that’s just one man’s opinion.

08-Sep-21
Which redneck blind are y’all using thanks Lewis

08-Sep-21
I am using the 5x6 predator. Thanks for the responses, if it was practical I would definitely have someone drive to plot and drop me off but its not an option. I don’t snore or move around a lot but I did have concerns about not making a sound through the night. I think I will try to slip in 1-2 hours before daylight and hope things settle down by shooting light. Hopefully I can follow up on this thread with a grip and grin

08-Sep-21
I use a cedar box blind and never get winded. Maybe the cedar helps cover my scent not sure.

09-Sep-21
I can't go to sleep anywhere without having to get up and relieve myself in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning. Unless you have a toilet in that blind , I don't think you'll be scent free.

09-Sep-21
WH1974, we use similar blinds in PA and we bust deer out going in to them in the fields all the time. If their Use to the blind they’ll come back shortly.

09-Sep-21
Not sure about the rednecks but don't most hard-sided blinds have built in vents? if so, add a carbon filter to them to help eliminate escaping scent molecules...

09-Sep-21
Are the blinds elevated or on the ground thanks Lewis

09-Sep-21
Most of Ours in PA are elevated. depending on the location. A few are on bases on the ground

09-Sep-21
Why would you want to hunt a food source in the morning? Specifically right in the middle of it. From your post with the grip and grin it doesn’t sound like you are shooting just any deer. Again a million different variables that I know nothing about but the hunter in me feels like there are better setups for the morning like between food and bedding.

I know nothing of your hunting situation but where I generally hunt entering a food plot or field first AM or under cover of darkness just flat out doesn’t work. It is the classic attract repel situation. It’s fine if you are looking to shoot does and young bucks. That setup is better geared towards evening hunts but you still run into exit issues. I find myself again wanting to be between bedding and food. In my plots the deer usually end up out in the open fields at dusk often times I find multiple beds right in the middle of the plots where the deer probably bedded on and off all night. As a personal choice I wouldn’t spend the night in the blind. Rather than bumping deer in the dark maybe think about going in after first light. The normal for me seems to hear a few deer in the dark and then 30-45 minutes after sunrise I start seeing deer filter back to their beds. If you did entertain at first light you could see the deer instead of blowing them out. Most deer stopping in for a bite before heading to bed. You might be surprised to find out how many deer stop in and hang out for a good amount of time. I don’t want any stand where deer like to hang out it’s just too easy to get busted.

You did say yourself they are spending the entire night in there. Might be a good way to clear the plot during shooting light for good.

09-Sep-21
RIT, I do agree that hunting a food source is very risky in the am. And I typically try not to do that, but there is several mature bucks that have come through the plot after daylight and I feel like I have a week or 2 before they will split up and go nocturnal until the rut and who knows where they will end up. One buck in particular(the biggest one) has historically left the farm mid September so I might only have days to try to get an arrow in him.

10-Sep-21
I get it Warren good luck I hope it works out for you. My take though is when they enter the plot they have to be coming from somewhere and when they leave they are also going somewhere. Perhaps an opportunity for a few lower impact stands. Let us know how what happens.

• Sitka Gear