jordanathome 13-Sep-21
Beav 13-Sep-21
stringgunner 13-Sep-21
Ccity65 13-Sep-21
DonVathome 14-Sep-21
08-Sep-21

jordanathome's embedded Photo
My back decided to seize up today. Lucky I was able to get camp and myself out. Next 2 days are forecast highs in mid 80's sovI was planning a break anyway. Right now unclear if I can get back much less from bed to the toilet....no bueno. Them's the breaks. At least I had an opportunity. Now to rest and see if I recover in time, just wasn't feeling in love with hunting this year either. waaaaa

I will leave u with a pic of chipper Jones from last night's hunt.

08-Sep-21
dang... hope you feel better.. back pain is the worst

08-Sep-21
Back issues are no joke. Have had them for years, rest up. Hopefully youll be able to get back after them.

08-Sep-21
Plenty to of season left. Rest up for a week and then go give em hell.

08-Sep-21
Yuck. Hate to hear that.

08-Sep-21
Back issues suck! Most men will experience some sort of it. My experience was typical lower back. Weight-loss and hydration seemed to be the best medicine for me. My back has been 90? pain free since.

Don't drown yourself, but pound the water for a couple of days. It'll help those failing discs to render a little bit of cushion, thus taking a bit of the pressure off of those nerves.

08-Sep-21
Done’s pills? Ha! 5th of Whiskey and a good night sleep in your stomach does wonders. Good luck Jordan!

08-Sep-21
That sucks, hasn't even got decent yet. Get better

08-Sep-21
Hope you heal up quick and back at it

08-Sep-21
No one starts a thread titled Round 1 if there isn't another round.

08-Sep-21
Injury sucks. Especially when it affects what you’ve waited and dreamed about all year. Seems to be a thing with me too. Whether it’s sickness or tearing a ligament in my knee getting out of bed two days before the year long wait. I dunno , seems like living right should offer better results.

But, it beats being hooked upto chemo and missing the season altogether. Or, getting run over by a car and severally messing up your foot and ankle for the season. Or, tearing both acl’s and other ligaments, as well as meniscus in both knees, two weeks out from elk hunting. Etc…. I could go on but, I’d likely get po’ed once again pondering how this keeps happening.

Point is, do what you can, when you can. Because, just being happy to be there has a long list of reasons that make no sense sometimes. Better get busy living because watching ain’t no fun.

Last time out to Colorado, I caught a virus on the way out. Spent 10 days taking a drink of water or a bite of food, to deposit it within a minute or so. I was so weak and tired. But, I put 5-10 miles a day in until I found sone elk to hunt. Didn’t kill anything though. But, hey I got to drive 3700 miles, drink about 20 gallons of water eat less in those 10 days then I normally do in three days, and see some beautiful country.

08-Sep-21
Sorry to hear thar man. God's speed on your recovery.

08-Sep-21
Hope the back will allow you get back out there. As far a motivation goes, go read jsgolds Solo Colorado elk hunt thread. That should motive you to keep on trying.

08-Sep-21
Injuries are no fun. Thankfully, I’ve never had any back issues but I’ve been dealing with DeQuervains in my left hand since April. Not sure exactly what caused it but I have not been able to shoot my bow all summer, so I’ll likely not be able to hunt until blackpowder season.

Hope you can get healed up and get back out there for the peak of the rut.

08-Sep-21
Jordan,

I have followed your threads over the last couple of years. You need to kill an elk! See a doc, get fixed as best you can and get er done!

If not good luck next year.

I was pulling for you.

Rickm

08-Sep-21
Don't quit!!

08-Sep-21
Jordan I feel your pain. I had back surgery for a herniated disk. If you think it’s a spasm you should try one of those shock therapy gizmos, with the little stick on pads. My wife bought one for me fairly cheap and I remember saying what the heck is this little thing going to do? Well it has saved the day for me more that once! This is your year man, tomorrow is guaranteed to no one! Hope you get better fast!

08-Sep-21
Try some stretching.

08-Sep-21
So this was diagnosed as degenerative disc disease like 20 some years ago. The doc thought I must smoke as apparently that was a big contributor to this type of disc injury. Anyway, I had the 3 steroid shots and then decided to pass on surgery. It rears its ugly head 2-3 times a year......some worse than others. So we shall see. The back is not the real obstacle, it is my general loss of excitement, love for the chase. I knew this year was different and thought it would change in the mtns, upon contact, nothing really did it for me this year. I have no drive, no incentive to go. So it happens.........

08-Sep-21
If you can get past the pain (ya...weakness leaving the body), maybe you need to take a breather for a bit and regroup, then hit it again. I've been burned out from hunting too much.....no desire to go thru the constant grind. It stopped being appealing. Nowadays I enjoy the alone time, the sunrises, the sunsets, the forest coming alive......the collateral things that come with the hunt. Make the most of your day afield because you're not getting yesterday back.

08-Sep-21
Bad back pain is no joke, hopefully you get good enough to give it another shot

08-Sep-21
Sorry to hear this, Jordan. You still sleeping in that hammock? My back is solid, but if I tried sleeping in that thing I'd be hurting too. Hopefully you can get past this and back in the game before the season is over!

08-Sep-21
Jordan, tighten up your man-bun and get back up there!

I just bailed from my new spot. It was decent for the first 2 days., but it’s been a sh!t show since. I’ve got a new plan.

What’s yours?

Matt

08-Sep-21
Dang, hopefully your back gets better. Also a little break may get your excitement going again. Being at home wondering if you missed that magical window each season when there seems to be bulls bugling everywhere, might be what you need.

Been reading your stories each season you post, and had you killing an elk this year in your odds thread.

Get a little break, head back out and prove me right!

08-Sep-21
Jordon as a fellow with a bad back prayers are sent. As a fellow who was 0-8 on his otc elk hunts I appreciate your stories every bit as much as the recaps from the successful hunters. I hope to see yours again my amigo!

09-Sep-21
Sorry to hear that. I have back issues and no ACL in my right knee. Usually neither keep me from doing anything I want or dropping into whatever blow-down ridden hell hole I hear a bugle in but they both let me know if I push it too much. As for the excitement, I get it. I have loved bowhunting all my life but there are a lot of bigger picture things screwed up right now and it has me less excited about getting out. No go on a hammock for me and my back.

Hope the back relaxes. I've done the crawl to the bathroom thing before. Was bad in my 30's, way better the last 15 years. A little space, even from things you love can be a good thing if the fire is dwindling a bit.

09-Sep-21
Hop the back gets better. But mostly I hope your drive returns because that is what really inspires a man to keep fighting and hoping and expecting that today is the day!!! A great quote from a movie “ There isn’t nothing like the sight of an amputated spirit. There is no prosthetic for that.” Good luck and hoping you make a return.

09-Sep-21
Back issues can be a ticking bomb. You just don't know when the go off. Hope you feel better soon.

09-Sep-21
It can sure be a head game at times! If you're not "IN" it mentally......would be pretty tough to keep pushing. It can all change in a second.....but not if you aint there! Good luck with whatever you decide Jordan. It's supposed to be fun!

09-Sep-21
Try some stretching.

09-Sep-21
Stretch those hamstrings!

09-Sep-21
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. So Lou, I hear you but the hammock was sleeping so well this year.....really had it dialed in and comfortable. Nope it wasn't that....I think I just tweaked it coming across the meadow after dark....I hate crossing freaking humpy lumpy meadows. It doesn't take much and I can never really pin point the triggers anymore, but once it gets sore I know I am in for a world of nasty unstable painful agony. Right now I can't put any forward pressure or I'm likely to faceplant in writhing pain.....gotta stay centered and vertical. This too shall pass.

My Plan right now is to alternate Ibuprofen and tylenol and rub in plenty of generic voltaren.......and drink lots of water.....maybe some vodka and bourbon. Sit here and work in a comfortable position and hope I can get back in the game physically and mentally.

I won't go back to my original spot. I'm done there. It is awesome but its just too much and all I can think about is if I delayed a day packing out....I'd be stuck back there like this......no thanks. I have a back up that will be easier on my back to hike around and hunt. I have a few spots I've thought about but never explored, which might get the ole excitement back in play.

Or I may retake up golf. LOL Or therapy.

I guess part of the struggle this year is being solo. My hunting buddies are all back in MO and not coming out to CO this year. I used to relish the solo adventure but not so much anymore. Not that I need someone to hunt next to me, its just nice to share plans, ideas, and recaps rather than living alone in your own head for days on end.

Best of luck to the rest of you. Matt, sorry your new spot didn't work out. FB Mtn is still worth checking out I think. If nothing else its kind of a fun 4x4 drive back in there and an interesting hike up to see what's what.

09-Sep-21
Best of luck to you Jordan no matter your decision. If up to it in a couple of weeks, drive out for a day trip with your bow and hopefully there will be more bugling and action to get your focus back. Take care of your back too.

10-Sep-21
Back n leg pain has been ugly all summer. cancer treatments have left me weak with what I hope is just a side effect, severe muscle pain. Was looking forward to just hunting deer behind my house this fall. Docs n I are going to be real friends asap. I envy you folks in elk habitat right now. Hunt as hard as you can as father time is sneaking up on many of us.

10-Sep-21
I hear ya on backs going out back in there. I was with a guy one time that shot a cow elk in the afternoon. First trip, first elk for him, we were pumped. So, we went up in and started cutting up the elk in the dark when we got up there. Got it skinned and about done quartering when I realized my partner was not to be seen? I said ahh, where are you? He raised his hand up from a laying position on the ground and said, "right here, my back just went out" I said, F--- no, not a good time!!! I had to help him off the mountain and get back to camp. I was going to go back in the morning and start packing it out as he went to town to get drugs for his back. He came back before I went out and said he rented a mule and a donkey for 50 bucks and they will be here shortly. So, it worked out, but could have been more of a Sh($ show.

10-Sep-21
better get the Tens unit and crank it up. Well worth the $30-$50

10-Sep-21
Hancock they are amazing!!!

10-Sep-21
I know what you are going through. This summer my back was really bothering me. I was working in the garden and had a heat stroke. I am a type one diabetic and have been taking four shots of insulin since I was 30 years old. I have to fight it not to walk bent over. On a doctor visit a month ago the results showed I was severally dehydrated and my kidneys were starting to show problems. I started drinking a lot of water per doctor's instructions and went back this morning to see the doctor. My kidneys are now in good shape and I am no longer dehydrated. Deer season is open but I plan on waiting until frost before I start hunting. The last few years I have only hunted with a crossbow and a single shot 50 cal. muzzle loading pistol and have killed all the deer I want. I did buy a Ruger ranch rifle in 350 Legend. IF pushed I can kill a deer with that. My crock pot has been keeping me in deer stew since last season. Getting old ain't for sissies but my dad killed deer when he was 96 years old. He would call me when he shot one. I would track it down, field dress it and take it to the butcher. The butcher wouldn't charge my dad since he had know him all his life.

11-Sep-21
I know what you are going through. I went ahead and turned in an AZ early archery bull tag because of back issues. I have a 2 day surgery, the first the 27th for scoliosis followed with a laminectomy the following day. The desire just wasn't there if I couldn't hunt like I wanted to. Good luck with the back issues. It can take the fun out of living.

11-Sep-21
Hang in there, Jordan! Back issues can sure suck the drive out of you, for sure.

11-Sep-21
My buddy Andy is still going strong on his EM tag around Estes but even he is finding elk have quit talking and disappeared from where he found them the first 2 days of season (when it was cooler). The back is more stable....still tender. I have found some new spots just waiting for better weather, some confidence in my back, and see if the old desire to hunt and adventure comes back online with me. Right now, just chillin with football on the tv and OnX on my laptop........also helping research a WY hunt for next year for a good hunting bud and that is always a ton of fun for me.

11-Sep-21
Hope it continues to improve and you can get back at it.

I hurt my back once and that was at least two times too many.

11-Sep-21
Jordan I got about the same planned for today. ER all night with my daughter turned today’s bear hunt into a stay at home and chill day. Also starting to look at areas in Wyoming as I started buying points there this year!!

11-Sep-21
Beav’s post for the win!!!

13-Sep-21

my buddy Andy is calling in bulls, yet to find the right one. I may have to join him and take his leftovers. lol

13-Sep-21

13-Sep-21
Get out there and kill one!

13-Sep-21
Those pics should be enough to motivate! Go shoot one!

13-Sep-21
Jordan, I do not know you, other than reading your posts but I am pulling for you, man. I, too, have never filled an archery elk tag. Yea, I've had my chances- this went wrong that went wrong, some were VERY close to guaranteed. So, as I guy who has not bow-killed an elk to another, get out there if at all possible. I have no elk tag this year, I'm living through everyone else. Besides, on the odds thread a while back I placed your success at 95%, if I recall. I still want to be right...

14-Sep-21
Ironically I just got back from a 9 day hunt with back pains. I stretched 30 minutes a day and it helped fyi. Getting old sucks.

• Sitka Gear