Ursman 27-Sep-21
RD in WI 27-Sep-21
drycreek 27-Sep-21
t-roy 27-Sep-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
10-Sep-21

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
I was having a coffee on the front porch of my condo in Winter Park this morning when a silver fox ambled in front of me, not more than 6 feet away. it's the first one I've seen in Colorado, or anywhere for that matter..

The pic above is not mine. I didn't have a camera on me at the time. But it's exactly what he looked like.

I was just wondering how rare are they?

Matt

10-Sep-21
Never seen a wild silver fox, but have seen a bunch of pen raised ones, plus a bunch of varying shades of others, as well. I did see a cross fox for a few seconds, in Alaska. Deep, dark cherry red colored, with a lot of black on him. From my understanding, silvers and cross foxes are more common in Alaska and northern Canada, than anywhere else.

10-Sep-21
Thats odd..never seen one that color

10-Sep-21
Saw a gorgeous one on Kodiak. He looked like his fur was an inch longer than a prime winter coat here in CO.

10-Sep-21
Glunt,

This one was even more black than the pic I posted. The last 2" of his tail was pure white. Absolutely gorgeous animal. Legend says. seeing a silver fox is bad luck, but I felt privileged.

Matt

10-Sep-21
Lots of Grey's but never a silver. Grey's don't have the shiny coat. Around here they get out competed by Reds. Which are now out competed by Yotes. Pretty cool.

10-Sep-21

Huntcell 's Link
Interesting read on silver fox fur farming.

10-Sep-21

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
$4,400 reduce from $6,500

11-Sep-21
Used to see them occasionally in Littleton when i lived there...

11-Sep-21
Occasionally we have a black on near my place in central MT but the coyotes are hard on them.

11-Sep-21
Per the Web, Colorado is home to some pretty amazing wildlife. From bighorn sheep to bears, elk, and even moose, it's always exciting to spot an animal that's out of the ordinary.

On March 29, game cameras at Staunton State Park in Pine, Colorado, caught a glimpse of a silver fox – a sight that's far more rare than the red ones, although they are the same species. According to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website, there are genetic variations in foxes, resulting in four recognized color phases: red, cross, silver and black. While the red color is what's most commonly seen in the wild, foxes in all color phases can always be identified by the white tip on their tails (though hard to see in this photo). Silver foxes make up about 10% of the fox population and can be found in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia.

Read More: Silver Fox Spotted in a Colorado Park | https://retro1025.com/silver-fox-spotted-in-a-colorado-park/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

11-Sep-21

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
They are a red fox but color phase. Very beautiful fur. I’ve actually killed 2 of them. One I called in and arrowed

11-Sep-21
Beautiful ermine! Made a beautiful mount I bet

11-Sep-21
I had this one mounted

11-Sep-21

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
There’s usually one hanging around Chambers Lake during the winter while we ice fish. Looking for scraps of bait

11-Sep-21

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I had THIS mounted. Effing Bowsite pic program

11-Sep-21
Cnelk,

That one could be the twin brother of the one I saw. It was almost entirely black, with a very slight silver sheen, and the white tipped tail.

I routinely see foxes at our condo. I even trained one to feed from my hands once. But I'd never seen a Silver/black one. I hope he runs the same route this morning. I'll have a camera ready for him.

Matt

11-Sep-21
Not here in MA. Seldom see foxes, as someone mentioned above, coyotes are a problem for other species. I've seen one fox this year, and two bears. Handsome animals, those silvers are.

11-Sep-21
Usually saw color phases every August at Thompson Lake when I was opening Norpaq's caribou camp there. One August around the 20th we had an early snow and one stayed around camp for three days.

11-Sep-21
Where I live we have more colour phase then red. Probably 5 to 1. Had a silver sleeping under the overhang of my shed most of early spring. Lots of foxes near town where the coyotes are less. Can’t shoot them in BC without a trappers licence.

11-Sep-21

11-Sep-21
Well, like clockwork, the little guy showed up again this morning. Unfortunately, a car passed by and spooked him off before I could get pics of him. So, I've got a pattern on him. Tomorrow morning he may find a hot dog, of unknown origins, for breakfast. ;-)

Matt

11-Sep-21
Used to be lots of them running around Routt County. Used to be a fur farm with silver fox and they let them go when the went under. Still see some around because it’s in the gene pool. See cross fox too that are half black and half red colored.

12-Sep-21
Years ago while deer hunting, two foxes ran into the field I was overlooking and just chased and played out there for maybe a half an hour. One was red the other silver.

12-Sep-21
My little Blacky didn't show up this morning, but I did see a beautiful red. There was a lot of weekenders out and about, many of them with dogs, so that's probably why Blacky stayed under cover. I'm pretty sure they have dens in the willows behind my condo.

Matt

13-Sep-21
We used to raise red fox when I was a kid, and I got a pet silver pup when I was older... Have some video of him somewhere.... Had him all summer and we let him run loose... Eventually he started roaming further and further from the house and ended up getting hit by a car I was told... The guy I bought the silver pup from near Massillon Ohio had two or three litters of them at the time, but don't know if he still raises them, that was years ago...

Then years later while in Colorado actually ran across two red fox dens out in the eastern plains and both had at least on black pup in the litter.... Both litters were mixed with red and blacks... I think the silver/black phase runs natural in Colorado...

Furriers grade the silver shades, light, medium and dark or black (I think is how they do)... Was just at a arts and craft randevou type event called called Great Trails Festival last weekend near Malvern and a couple stands had a few tanned silver fox hides that I thought was very reasonable at $100 - $110… Heck, back in the day when we were raising them you couldn’t touch a silver/black hide in the raw for under 200 bucks, they were very expensive back in the day… But the prettiest red fox color phase I ever seen was a wild one locally here of the Cross Fox color….It was a pup of that year while in the winter deer hunting… An absolutely gorgeous animal… Only seen it the one time…

And then there was this crazy time I was getting my bow, and gear out of the vehicle to get on evening stand and here comes walking up the side of the road right to me was this full grown white phase red fox… He wasn’t an albino, but at least 90 percent pure white and had colored eyes and a little light brown/butterscotch streaking through him and the black spot on his tail… He walked right up to me 4 or 5 feet acting like he was looking for something to eat… I tried to get a hold of him but wouldn’t allow me close enough to touch him… After I tried to chase him a little he finally had enough and wandered off… I actually thought about shooting him at the time but was almost sure it had to have been somebody’s pet so I let him go…. Later I asked the landowner about him and he looked at me like I’d lost my mind...8^) He nor any of the neighbors had never seen nor heard of him at the time…. Looking back now, wish I would have shot him, would have made a cool tanned pelt...

14-Sep-21
we've got a black, and a red, fox running in our neighborhood these days. I finally got a pic. of the black from a far a few days ago. Cute little bugger. \

Neighbor has "ring" door bell pics. of the black also.

14-Sep-21
I used to raise them for fur and had a few tame ones. I had silver, burgundy, pearl, amber, artic marble, cross, etc.

One time a couple pups from a litter of 8 that were just several weeks old escaped as I was trying to give them worm medicine. I got all of them back except one. That fall, several months later, we were spotting for deer down in the state park below the house and saw that silver fox in a field of knee high grass... and when the light shined on him he lifted his head and had a mouse in his mouth. I was amazed and very glad that he survived. He was healthy looking, well filled out, and gordeous. He was in an area of the park that was closed to hunting and I never heard anything about him again after that, so who knows.

14-Sep-21
My girlfriend has:)

Seriously nope, pretty cool hopefully one day!

14-Sep-21
"I had silver, burgundy, pearl, amber, artic marble, cross, etc."

Yeah Jeff, I knew some of the fox farms were breeding different color phases and seen pictures... Also watch a nature program were some Russian scientist was breeding them for years for domestication... Can't exactly remember how many generations it took but they had bred them to the point the had floppy ears and curly tails and all different colors....

14-Sep-21

Zbone's Link
Here's a link to those Russian foxes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-EXeZXwO08

15-Sep-21

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
This is a "Cross" color phase of the red fox... I still think they are prettiest, even of all the captive bred morphs colors... This Cross color happens naturally in the wild...

15-Sep-21
So, turns out little Blacky has a sense of humor. I went fishing earlier this morning. When I returned, I left my wet wading shoes and socks on the front porch to dry out. This evening, I went out to bring my shoes and socks inside. Something of fox size had taken a dump directly on top of my socks. I'm starting to really like this little phucker.

Matt

16-Sep-21

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
My youngest Daughter refers to me as a Silver Fox as does the wife.

16-Sep-21
Zbone,

That is a gorgeous fox, Maybe my Blacky will breed with the Red I've seen in the same area and produce a Cross like that.

Matt

19-Sep-21
got a couple of distant pics. of the black here in the neighborhood, camera through my bino, so no the best. [url=https://flic.kr/p/2msdJJb][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51492541878_ebf2aee8fa_c.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2msdJJb]IMG_0198[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/156405073@N02/]Tim Richard[/url], on Flickr

19-Sep-21
Stunning! absolutely stunning!! Zbone!

Thanks for sharing!

So beautiful, wife could hardly believe its real.

27-Sep-21

Well, I finally got a pic of my little buddy over the weekend. At least I *think* it's the same fox.

I have a question for you guys who are more familiar with silver foxes than I am. Do their coats change significantly going into the winter? The one I photographed above has more silver than the one I saw 2 weeks ago. Both were in the same area behind my condo. Do I have 2 different silver fox neighbors, or could it be the same fox who is growing into his winter coat?

Matt

27-Sep-21
Could be two different foxes. But I think I’m winter they look a little more silver to me than in summer

27-Sep-21
they don't change color,

27-Sep-21
One is stealing duck eggs from neighbors yard.

27-Sep-21
Beautiful animal. I bet that fox is a little killing machine.

27-Sep-21

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
Can’t believe nobody posted this, sorry Troy. :-)

27-Sep-21
That’s OK, drycreek…I’m just rollin with the flow ;-)

10-Oct-21
Good thread

• Sitka Gear