Grey Ghost 14-Sep-21
Treeline 14-Sep-21
StickFlicker 14-Sep-21
Shug 14-Sep-21
Mike Ukrainetz 14-Sep-21
Willcz 15-Sep-21
CFMuley 15-Sep-21
14-Sep-21
Question , After stalking into range of your deer that is bedded what does everyone do? 1. Wait until he stands? No matter how long? 2. Wait and if he doesnt stand toss a stone to try to get him to get up and hope he doesnt run? Heading back out on a Mule deer hunt again this year and just wondering what you all do. Thanks Mike

14-Sep-21
If wind is good. Wait for him to stand no matter how long

14-Sep-21
Patience kills…

14-Sep-21
Just ask Randy Ulmer...wait.

14-Sep-21
Wait!

14-Sep-21
Wait. Too much to go wrong by adding other variables.

14-Sep-21
Since I’m generally above or behind I raise up and shoot him. He can’t duck, bolt, or hardly move in his bed especially if he’s sleeping. Why wait till he’s up and aware of everything

14-Sep-21

whipranger's embedded Photo

14-Sep-21

This buck was bedded and let me get to 19yds I’ve shot several the same way

14-Sep-21

My buddy shot this buck bedded last weekend. You can see the arrow just hitting the buck
My buddy shot this buck bedded last weekend. You can see the arrow just hitting the buck

14-Sep-21
Sure, if there is a viable shot, absolutely take the buck in his bed. But assuming there is no clear shot, I'm a fan of waiting and letting the buck rise naturally.

14-Sep-21
Whip....looks like your bud spined him. That is actually a very cool pic with the deer and your buddy's shadow in the same photo.

14-Sep-21
Surprisingly he didn’t spine it but that’s what I thought too when I saw that pic but he has a pic of it running away

14-Sep-21
Whip, the picture makes it look like that buck was bedded in a hole. Pretty awesome!

14-Sep-21

This would be a time when there is no clear shot

14-Sep-21
I have seen the rock technique work, especially if you can heave it beyond the buck, so his attention is diverted away from you. That was a favorite technique of my Fahter's when we rifle hunted together. Since I was a baseball player with a good arm, he'd have me chuck rocks as far as I could off of the north facing hillsides of scrub oak bedding areas. The deer would often spook uphill right into our laps. I wouldn't recommend it for a stalk with a bow.

I'd rather wait and let them stand to stretch, or shift positions out of the sun, on their own while un-alerted.

Matt

14-Sep-21
Agree with Paul. Shoot as soon as you have a clear shot!

I am usually stalking bucks bedded in the willows or tall sage. If I can get to an angle with a clear line to the lungs, I take it.

Most of the time I have to wait them out. Sometimes that can be a long, hot endeavor…

14-Sep-21
Smarba, was going to say the same thing. Wait.

14-Sep-21

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Wait…

14-Sep-21
To add to the initial question when the buck starts to stand up do you immediately draw your bow so you are hopefully at full draw when he finishes standing or do you let him stand up, stay hidden and then draw when he looks away or starts feeding or scratching out his bed?

15-Sep-21

Willcz's embedded Photo
Willcz's embedded Photo
Willcz's embedded Photo
Willcz's embedded Photo
Only if you can pull it off. First shot in the brain paralyzed him and I we just wanted to make sure he was staying put. Quick 2nd shot was high and back and he kept breathing, right where he was. 3rd shot finished. First arrow to the brain actually broke when his head finally dropped.

Otherwise it can be a long wait.

15-Sep-21
I would have a real hard time recommending a brain shot to anyone. Pull that shot a little bit and you have a deer running around with an arrow sticking out of its face. My buddy had a 10 yard shot at the back of a bedded bucks head a few weeks ago. He thought about it, but decided to move for a better angle. He ended up bumping the buck, but the buck stopped at 40 yards and he made a perfect double king shot. Dead buck 60 yards later.

• Sitka Gear