onX Maps
first rifle unit 61 colorado
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
oregon338 16-Sep-21
Ucsdryder 16-Sep-21
BTM 16-Sep-21
16-Sep-21
unit 61 first rifle oct 16th to 20th. Talked to trapper some time back - like to chat again if can. Anyway, plan on getting off the roads and boots on the ground. Will be scouting 4 days before opening day. I've killed several elk in archery and rifle. Couldn't wait for an archery tag so let the lead fly! Looking to glass and walk the ridges. Anyone hunt here recently or last year? Several areas I have identified to scout for the elks sanctuaries, any issues with off road camp spots? using a side by side to get off the main roads? looking for a mature bull and have fun with my brother (shirpa) Ha Ha. thanks Jerry

16-Sep-21
Pm sent

16-Sep-21
My buddy is in there right now. He is struggling to find anything much over 300. He is going from bugle to be will to bugle looking at bulls. He is hard-core, putting in the work and the miles. There are too many elk in that unit! He has seen one good bowl north of 320 but there were so many cows and satellite balls around it that it was nearly impossible for him to get close. I haven’t heard from him in three or four days, he’s in there until Saturday.

16-Sep-21

BTM's embedded Photo
BTM's embedded Photo
BTM's embedded Photo
BTM's embedded Photo
Just got back from the first ten days of archery deer. Temps in the 80s every day. Never saw a buck, but was close to several bulls. (Still need a few more points for them!) Lots of bear sign, so have a plan to get meat out of the woods quickly.

• Sitka Gear