orionsbrother 25-Jan-22
'Ike' (Phone) 27-Jan-22
Royboy 30-Jan-22
orionsbrother 30-Nov-22
Treeline 30-Nov-22
17-Sep-21
STAY TUNED

17-Sep-21
It seems that the term "bucket list" has not been around that long but for some, it can provide goals or objective or acts or accomplishments that one would like to do before one dies. The movie, The Bucket List, staring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, written my Justin Zackham in 2007 was of that nature.

Hunters surely can produce a list of acts, or accomplishment that they would like to do before the Grim Reaper, shows up. How about a Dall Sheep hunt in the NW Territories, an Alaska moose hunt, or a trip to far off Africa.

I had thought that a bow hunt for a Dall Sheep might top my list, right after winning the Power Ball Lottery and then taking Tricia a trip around the World. I might have done that back in the day when I was working and could afford the Dall Sheep hunt, but work got in the way and now retired, I have more free time but lack the finances.

I have been fortunate to have killed the Colorado Big Eight Species with the Compound bow although I killed my very first deer in 1962 with a recurve bow and then a few after that, In 2010 I killed my very first PY White Tailed deer with the stick and later a few turkeys, a couple of geese, more that a dozen yard rabbits, and one or two more White Tailed deer.

Since being in Colorado since 1991, I have killed 13 elk with the compound bow and last year I missed a bull with the Great Plains recurve bow as I had a nock malfunction on a bull at 20 yards. A week later I used my compound bow and killed a bull at 21 yards. Oh Well.

So before this elk season started, I looked into the bucket and saw that the goal of killing a bull elk was still on the list. I needed to do something positive about that. Started practicing in earnest, added a fast flight string to the 55# bow, purchase a dozen of Gold Tip Traditional arrow which I would add a 175 grain, vent less, VPA broadhead.

One Sept 1, I hiked up to elk camp in one of Colorado's wilderness area, for the hunt that would begin the next day. At the age of 81, I was just as excited to be bow hunting as I was on the day I killed my first deer in 1962 and like that hunt almost 60 years ago, I had a stick in my hand and my bucket list goal on my mind.

17-Sep-21

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul with first deer 59 years ago
Paul with first deer 59 years ago
First Colorado bull elk in 1989. Moved from Ohio to Colorado in 1991.
First Colorado bull elk in 1989. Moved from Ohio to Colorado in 1991.

17-Sep-21

The day before the season, I looked at my 40# back pack and wished I had an elevator to get me to camp 2 miles up hill, at 10,200 ft, and a gain of 1100 ft in elevation..
The day before the season, I looked at my 40# back pack and wished I had an elevator to get me to camp 2 miles up hill, at 10,200 ft, and a gain of 1100 ft in elevation..
2 hrs later, almost there
2 hrs later, almost there
and when you get to camp, make camp. Same spot I have been camping at during 4 other elk seasons.
and when you get to camp, make camp. Same spot I have been camping at during 4 other elk seasons.
No surprise, lack of snow pack, left many streams with out water. I found this seep 500 yards from camp draining into the dry creek bed.
No surprise, lack of snow pack, left many streams with out water. I found this seep 500 yards from camp draining into the dry creek bed.

17-Sep-21
Having fun for sure Paul--------->

Good luck, Robb

17-Sep-21

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Best of luck Paul. I carried my longbow opening week. Didn’t kill an elk but had many close calls.

17-Sep-21
Got a feeling we are gonna get a to see Paul check one off the list…

17-Sep-21
Man I hope so!

17-Sep-21
Always love your hunt recap threads Paul, looking forward to this one for sure!

17-Sep-21
It is only September 17 though................(grin)

17-Sep-21
Here we go again…….with another great adventure! Anxiously following, Paul!

17-Sep-21
Definitely one of the highlights of the year on Bowsite. Thanks for your contributions Paul - over the top good. Now get on with the rest of the story :-)

17-Sep-21
I was hoping it was Paul's thread when I opened it. This is your year Paul! cant wait for the rest of the story.

17-Sep-21
Can't wait to read this one!!!

17-Sep-21
Good luck Paul, I will catch up when I get back from my own adventure.

17-Sep-21
Good luck! Hoping you scratch this one off the list this year!

17-Sep-21
Go get em Paul! You are an inspiration and one tough dude!

17-Sep-21
Ole guys rock. I don’t know but a few still going at your age but sure do fear being left on the porch in a rocker. Good luck.

17-Sep-21
You are an inspiration, doing what you are doing at that age. I’m 10 years behind you and hope I can do that when I’m 80.

17-Sep-21

thick stuff off of the meadows but the elk love it for food, water and shelter. One just has to figure out their patterns which I have done for the past 7 yrs. in this area
thick stuff off of the meadows but the elk love it for food, water and shelter. One just has to figure out their patterns which I have done for the past 7 yrs. in this area
So I planned on camping for at least two weeks in my high mt tent camp as I had hauled up enough food, etc.. A comfortable camp, in a shaded area, small meadow off the trail, protected by age old pine trees, from snow, wind and rain, trees that have never seen a saw. If one was going to hear a tree fall in the forest of old age, this was the place. (I have heard a few over the years).

17-Sep-21

With the lack of water in the nearby stream it did not surprise me that the small wet meadow/wallow where I had a tree stand set would be dry also. It was very dry but since I had kill a bull there two years ago, I would give it a chance as maybe a elk or two would wander through. I sat there for four day in the AM and PM with out seeing or hearing an elk and the trail camera confirmed no elk were passing by. They needed water!

17-Sep-21
This is good stuff for sure.

17-Sep-21
Certainly a dry year in the mountains! Betcha Paul has a backup ;-)

17-Sep-21
Glad I opened this one, will definitely follow it to the end! Good Luck Paul!!

17-Sep-21

Yep, had a backup plan for sure. A half mile away was another seep back in the dark timber and more important , there was water! Pictured. I had killed my bull there last year on Sept 17 with the compound bow. This time I sat there 5 evenings and never saw or heard an elk sound although there was evidence that a few elk had been there, but at what time, morn, afternoon, but not evenings, at least when I was there? I set up a trail camera there on Sept 9th, and after not seeing many elk the first 9 days, I would drive home for a week as the high temperatures were to be 10 degrees cooler and the elk rut should be kicking in around the 17th of Sept and for the next two weeks or so. So after nine days in camp without seeing much action, I gathered up a few items, left the camp there, and headed home for a week to return on Sept 14th., and hoped for more action, sight and sound of rutting bulls.

17-Sep-21

The following week went slowly but the apple trees in the yard were full of apples so I made a few gallons of skin on apple sauce. Did some yard chores etc. and then made plans to return for the final two weeks of the season. I would needed 10more days of meals, long underwear, a warmer jacket, and a different pair of boots--warmer and drier. All in all another 25 pounds to hike up to camp. I wanted a comfortable camp if I was going to spent the next two weeks there, and I was sure there would be a late September snow storm that I had to be prepared for.

So back up the mountain with a lighter pack, and for the next two weeks. I had the compound bow in the truck but it was not part of the plan this elk season unless I got desperate.

17-Sep-21
Tuned in! Paul never disappoints.

17-Sep-21

It took the normal three hours to hike up, but camp was waiting when I got there at noon, so now I had to wait until 5 pm to continue my elk adventure. I washed up, stored the items I had hauled up, shot my Great Plains bow, took a nap, had my evening meal at 4 pm,, dressed in hunting gear and headed out to set a big meadow and just watch and wait for the winds to drop and to allow the cool air to drain down hill to my advantage and then to advance to the back up wallow a few hundred yards away. I was excited to be back and with the stick in hand. It just felt good and normal. My thoughts raced back 60 years to the UP of Michigan and my first deer with a recurve bow. Hard to believe I was still doing this stuff but one only goes around once in life, so take advantage of all of your experiences, hopes, and items on your bucket list as this life you are now living is not a dress rehearsal for your next life.

17-Sep-21
Good luck Paul. Living vicariously through your adventures. Can’t wait to see/read the outcome!!!

17-Sep-21
Never! But I would continue to encourage you to get it done with the single string!

17-Sep-21
Great stuff Paul. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

17-Sep-21
Six PM and wind was slacking and I move across the big meadow and advanced up the trail to the wallow and my hide just 20 yards away from the water. On my way in, I continued to check the wind and the down hill cooler currents. I needed to get there when the down hill cooler current was in my favor. I arrived at the hide at 6:30 pm, allowing me one hour and 15 minutes to hunt before last legal shooting time. I check the trail camera and discovered that a bull and a cow with two calves, had visited the wallow the day after I set up up on Sept 9 but had not returned that I could tell. The time of their visit was mid afternoon. Well at least, there was a potential that I might see or at least hear an elk this evening but I only had less that an hour to make this happen. The sun was setting over the hill, a cool breeze was in my favor, I knelt behind a large pine tree trunk, my bow leaning against the tree ready to go. The time was now 7:15 PM

I SEE MOVMENT FROM MY RIGHT COMING FROM THE DARK SHADOWS 40 YARDS AWAY, AND ADVANDING TOWARDS THE WALLOW. A BEAUTIFUL 5X5 BULL STEPS OUT, HIS TAN COAT SHINING IN THE SETTING SUN, HIS ANTLERS HELD HIGH., NOSE SEARCHING FOR INTRUDERS. INSTEAD OF COMING RIGHT TO THE WALLOW HE DISAPPEARS BEHIND A THICKET OF DARK TIMBER AND IS MOVING AWAY AND AROUND. YES, JUST DISAPPEARED. WHERE DID HE GO? I AM SEARCHING, LOOKING HERE AND THERE. HOW HE GOT THERE 5 minutes later I DO NOT KNOW BUT, THERE HE IS, ONLY 20 YARDS AWAY AND STANDING AT THE WET WALLOW FACING ME. HE STRETCHES HIS NECK, RAISES HIS HEAD AND SENDS OUT A SHARP BUGLE, RIGHT IN MY FACE. THE HAIR ON THE BACK OF THE MY NECK STANDS UP. I GRIP BY BOW, (NOT TOO TIGHT), THE THREE FINGER TAB IS UNDER THE ARROW NOCK, AS I APPLIED SOME PRESSURE TO THE STRING. HE IS NOW FACING ME, HEAD DOWN AND DRINKING. I SHIFT OVER A FEW INCHES TO GET A BETTER ANGLE. HE TURNS TO LEAVE AND IS NOW SLIGHTLY QUARTING AWAY. THE GREAT PLAINS RECURVE BOW IS UP AS PRACTICED. PICK A SPOT. FULL DRAW. SMOOTH RELEASE. ARROW ON ITS WAY!

17-Sep-21
I don’t care if you missed. This is what all the work was for. That :10 of being completely oblivious to the rest of the world. This is already a successful hunt Paul.

17-Sep-21
Nail biter!! C’mon Paul! Type faster!

17-Sep-21
ohh boy!

17-Sep-21
It’s no time for a break Paul ! I’m wearing out my refresh button !

17-Sep-21
A second later, I see my arrow, up to the fletching, sticking out the side of the elk as he leaped forward and sprinting for the dark timber 30 yards away. It looks a little far back but the angle looked good traveling forward. I hear a breaking of branches and then a few seconds later a louder breaking of brush/sticks, tree limbs. Maybe this bull is just leaving the area quickly.

Because of the fading light, I move over to where he had entered the dark forest and found a few drops of blood. As I was standing there, I hear five loud moans that sound like a moo cow moaning. Wait, there are no domestics cows in the area. Maybe?????? I move forwards towards the sounds a 100 yards away, still gripping my recurve bow and at ready.

17-Sep-21
YES!

17-Sep-21
Contact! thats what I'm talkin about!

17-Sep-21

As I found him. Cold stone dead!
As I found him. Cold stone dead!
in one side and
in one side and
and out the other. 165 ft per second from a 55# recurve bow the arrow struck the bull in less than a second and surely did the job taking out a lung or two.
and out the other. 165 ft per second from a 55# recurve bow the arrow struck the bull in less than a second and surely did the job taking out a lung or two.
Bucket list item eliminated.
Bucket list item eliminated.
I searched ahead and see a tan shape and then antlers through the thick forest. Bull elk down and he only traveled 150 yards before succumbing to the sharp VPA 175 gr BH.

17-Sep-21
You are a great story teller Paul, congrats and now go write a book for all of us buddy!

17-Sep-21
Congrats Paul!

17-Sep-21
Woo Hoo!!! Way to go Paul!!!

17-Sep-21

ok, getting dark and time to get to WORK. I have every thing I need to process and bag this elk and I am a half mile back to camp.
ok, getting dark and time to get to WORK. I have every thing I need to process and bag this elk and I am a half mile back to camp.
decided to do a gutless method without exposing the guts.
decided to do a gutless method without exposing the guts.
What the field processed elk looked like the following morning. Retrieved the elk's head to later remove the antlers. I completed the job, hung the bagged meat in the trees and returned to camp by 1 am, yea, One AM, a very tired boy indeed.
What the field processed elk looked like the following morning. Retrieved the elk's head to later remove the antlers. I completed the job, hung the bagged meat in the trees and returned to camp by 1 am, yea, One AM, a very tired boy indeed.

17-Sep-21
Congrats Paul!! You are an inspiration!

17-Sep-21
Whoo Hoooo!

Pretty sure I heard that yell from Paul all the way over here!

Congratulations! You did it, and in STYLE! Great bull! Excellent recap!

17-Sep-21
I couldn't be more happy for a fellow hunter Paul! really glad you got to cross this off the list. I will be giving traditional tackle a go this year for the first time. My goal is any deer. When I grow up , I wanna be like you Paul!

17-Sep-21
Congrats Paul!

17-Sep-21

outfitter getting ready
outfitter getting ready
back up the mt an hour later.
back up the mt an hour later.
loading up processed elk, and then to camp to pack those items down also.
loading up processed elk, and then to camp to pack those items down also.
and then 4 hours later, back down to the truck, a cold beer, ice. Should be home by midnight.
and then 4 hours later, back down to the truck, a cold beer, ice. Should be home by midnight.
The next morning at 8 am, the squirrels woke me up with their chattering. Time to get up, break camp, pack everything in the duffle bag and then the large back pack. Hike down the mountain with my day pack and bow to the truck and then to the outfitter to horse/pack animals , to retrieve the meat and then my camp and then back down to the truck. Should make an interesting day but a very happy day.

17-Sep-21
Wow! Congrats on a well executed plan. You worked hard and deserve your well earned traditional gear bull. What a pretty bull also.

17-Sep-21
Congratulations Paul, you are an inspiration for sure

17-Sep-21
Have always had faith in you to get it done with the recurve!

Never a doubt in my mind, just had to get rid of those in yours;-)

So happy for you!

Well done all the way around!

17-Sep-21
Yea, all of the work that goes into elk hunting can be worthwhile if one keep all things into perspective. I love the physical challenge and the mental challenge of solo hunting. This bucket list bull was in great shape and yielded a lot of wild game meat and without extracting out the ribs. Tricia and I both like the ribs very much but I told her there was no room in the cooler. She said, you needed to get two coolers. I said, Then I needed to buy a bigger truck!

17-Sep-21
Always the best read on Bowsite....Congratulations!

17-Sep-21
Awesome! Way to go!

17-Sep-21
Thanks for the full recap Paul. Excellent as usual. Congrats on a great hunt and crossing an item off the bucket list of hunts.

17-Sep-21
Congratulations Paul! Like so many have mentioned you are an inspiration!

17-Sep-21

So there you have it, a story of the old guy, with a stick in his hand, a sharp arrow, and a very nice dead bull elk on the ground. Let the processing begin here at home. I have a meat grinder, sharp knives, vac packer and two freezers and time on my hands now that elk season for me is over.

I knew you guys would like this story so thanks for the kind words and inspiration.

Until the next time, my best, Paul

17-Sep-21
Perfect!

17-Sep-21
Paul you got great penetration. What was the arrow weight

17-Sep-21
Outstanding!!!!!!!

17-Sep-21
Once again excellent story and trophy. Congratulations!

17-Sep-21
Thanks for the story. Congrats.

17-Sep-21
Paul, You ARE The Man!

Outstanding recap and photos. Congratulations on killing a great bull with your recurve and checking it off your bucket list.

All my best, Jim

17-Sep-21

Jay, 575 grains total. The Gold Tip traditional 600 spine shafts are 9.9 grs per inch. THe 175 gr ventless VPA BHs are sharp and can be easy to re-sharpen and they fly well. The BH may have traveled between the rib bones but in any case , did the job. I was happy (and lucky) with the shot placement as the elk was turning and retreating.

17-Sep-21
The “Bionic Bowhunter” strikes again! Your hunt recaps are the best ! Thanks for taking us along!

17-Sep-21
Congratulations Paul... well one.

17-Sep-21
Awesome Paul! Such a fun read. Get's me pumped! My Dad and I are leaving Monday to go chase bugles. Congrats to you!

17-Sep-21
Absolutely epic! Congrats Paul!!!

17-Sep-21
Truly an inspiration! The best story teller on BS. Congratulations!

17-Sep-21
Awesome job and congrats to you.

17-Sep-21
Congrats Paul! Way to stick with it.

17-Sep-21
"At the age of 81, I was just as excited to be bow hunting as I was on the day I killed my first deer in 1962"

I passed this along to my 79 year old Father, who has a Moose draw this fall. He is heading out in a little over a week. He's just as excited for the experience as he was when he started hunting. I have friends who no longer have the drive for hunting and the hard work and dedication it takes to get the best of the experience. I don't understand that. My passion is as great as ever, if not more, as is my Father's. Great to read of someone who shows the love of wild places and wild animals. Thanks Paul, it was really great to tag along on the adventure!

17-Sep-21
Freaking amazing. Congratulations Paul! I want to be like you when I grow up

17-Sep-21
Congrats on a great adventure with a fantastic ending. Thanks for posting.

17-Sep-21
That arrow is right in the sweet spot 9.9 GPP Another fan question? What was the bow in the Michigan UP picture

17-Sep-21
Great story, congrats on deleting one more item on your bucket list!

17-Sep-21
Awesome Paul! Congratulations!!!!

17-Sep-21

17-Sep-21
Congrats on a great season Paul!

17-Sep-21
Well done as always Paul! Congratulations!

17-Sep-21
Awesome story and pictures, Paul.

Congrats.

Always a treat to read your posts.

17-Sep-21
Out-freakin-standing! Great hunt....thanks Paul, for sharing.

17-Sep-21
Well done as always Paul! Congratulations!

17-Sep-21
Great job, Paul! You’re definitely an inspiration!

17-Sep-21
Fantastic story and hunt as always Paul!!

17-Sep-21
Always awesome. I share your story with my family every year. They all love it, wife daughter and son.

17-Sep-21
Paul, your age may be old but your spirit is young and strong. Your persistence, determination, and attitude are an inspiration and have been to millions of bowhunters that have passed thru the Bowsite all these years. Good things happen to good people and you deserve it! Great bull!

17-Sep-21
81 and you did this!?! You’re the man. This gives me a lot of motivation going forward. I started with trad equipment 4 years ago. This is my 3rd elk season and I’ve been really questioning why I do it instead of just using my compound. This story is the exact reason I do it. I leave on Sunday for a week. When times get tough and I’m frustrated, I’ll for sure remember your story and keep pressing on!

17-Sep-21
Darren, give your dad a strong hand shake and then a big hung for me. Tell him the best is yet to come. Good luck on the moose hunt.

Jay, the bow in the 1962 Michigan deer pic is a Ben Pearson, 45 #. Notice the "safe" way I carry the arrows attached to the bow. What did we know except from Fred Bear, back in that day?

17-Sep-21
Inspiring... God willing i'll be 80+ hunting like that.

17-Sep-21
Awesome Paul! I’m sure we’ll hear this story a time or two more!! Lol

17-Sep-21
That is awesome! I cant imagine doing that at 81!

17-Sep-21
Outstanding!! Thanks for taking us along, Paul!!

17-Sep-21
I can barley do it at 61 :^))))>

17-Sep-21
Congrats. An incredible accomplishment.

17-Sep-21
" As I was standing there, I hear five loud moans that sound like a moo cow moaning. Wait, there are no domestics cows in the area. Maybe?????? I move forwards towards the sounds a 100 yards away, still gripping my recurve bow and at ready."

Paul, I'm curious if you were able to follow much blood on your way to the sound or if you traced the blood trail the next day. I'm always interested in learning as much as possible about blood trails, performance of the broadhead and effectiveness of the hit location.

17-Sep-21
When I grow up, I want to be just like Paul.

Paul your are an inspiration and one of the most respected members of Bowsite. Congratulations and enjoy the fruits of your success.

17-Sep-21
Congrats and well done sir!! 81 years young and got it done with a one-stringer....how cool is that!!!! I'm just curious how you're gonna top that feat??

17-Sep-21
John, good questions. I did not follow the blood trail after I heard the death moaning which lead me right to the bull. The blood I did see was dark and not spraying out and I did not see any bubbles in the blood at first glance thus it was starting to get dark. If the bull had died 400 yards away and did not give out any death moans, this story may have not happened but then their might have been a good blood trail later as the elk ran away causing the wound to be more pronounced. It might also have been a liver hit as the BH traveled through the elk. I hit was a little high and the blood might have been bleeding internally which happened last year causing a very hard blood trail to follow, a drop here a drop there. I liked the performance of the 3 bld BH and I also use the 125 gr VPA with my compound bow. Elk are tough animals and having a good blood trail is a blessing. So is having them go down within sight.

17-Sep-21
Congrats Paul! You are THE MAN!

17-Sep-21
Absolutely beautiful and infinitely inspiring Paul! WTG! I will be sure to let Andy know you scored....again! :)

17-Sep-21
Fantastic story and hunt as always Paul!!

17-Sep-21
Congratulations Great story again

17-Sep-21
You da man, Paul!! A huge congrats on achieving your goal for this fall!

Any new goals on your bucket list in the near future?

17-Sep-21
Way to go!!! I can only dream to still be chasing these critters in the golden years....let alone being a solo killer with the struggle stick.... Congrats!

17-Sep-21
Congrats on a nice bull. I love to come out west and do hunts but they always seem so rushed. You re fortunate to be able to just spend the time in the woods and be patient. What are you using for your pad by the way.

17-Sep-21
Troy, other than the bucket list of winning the Mega Lottery and numbers two is, taking Tricia on an Around the World trip, I still believe an archery hunt for a Dall Ram would be cool.

I have had a great year bow hunting, with a January Arizona Coues buck, three tom turkeys in Nebraska this spring, a nice Pronghorn buck here in Colorado on August 15th, and now this bull elk. The only other trip this year will be Nebraska for whitetail deer in November.

I will keep looking for that winning lottery ticket in the mail.

17-Sep-21
Simply the Best stuff on Bowsite, over and over. Well done, as always Paul!

17-Sep-21
Paul, as always, you are truly the inspiration that keeps me going. You are one tough customer that the youngsters can't really appreciate what you do at your age. Congratulations to one heck of a man! Bob

17-Sep-21
Congrats!!! A bowsite legendary and quite the story teller.

17-Sep-21
I don't know what to say other than it would truly be an honor to share a campfire and a few elk steaks with you.

Congrats, and thanks for your inspiration.

Matt

17-Sep-21
Well done sir, heck of a story right there, congrats!!!

17-Sep-21
Hard to believe I was still doing this stuff but one only goes around once in life, so take advantage of all of your experiences, hopes, and items on your bucket list as this life you are now living is not a dress rehearsal for your next life.

Amen.

Congrats, Paul! Another great story and another tremendous accomplishment.

17-Sep-21
Awesome, Paul! Truly inspiring.

17-Sep-21
Congrats Paul. You continue to amaze and entertain me yearly. You are the man!!!!

17-Sep-21
Atta a boy Paul. Inspiring for sure. Love those VPA's

Congrats.

17-Sep-21
Well done Paul, as usual!!

18-Sep-21
Outstanding accomplishment Paul! Congrats!!!

You never cease to amaze! A true inspiration for all bowhunters...especially us aging solo bowhunters! Thanks again for sharing your adventures!

18-Sep-21
I love it! Congrats brother.

18-Sep-21
I am still trying to kill an elk with a stickbow.

Killed with compound, ML and Rifle. Still no stickbow kill. But I’m only 61. So following the role model Paul.

I’ve got 20 years left to get it done.

18-Sep-21
Congratulations Paul, great recap of your hunt.

18-Sep-21
I am in awe. I am a fan.

18-Sep-21
Paul you truly are an inspiration, congrats Sir.

18-Sep-21
Heck yeah! Congratulations Paul on an awesome hunt. Thanks as always for sharing your story. What an inspiration you are to all of us "younger" guys (66).

18-Sep-21
Pretty dang impressive Paul! Every year you put on a show and get it done. Congrats on a dandy bull! Guys like you are rare. Well done sir.

18-Sep-21

18-Sep-21
Wow your the man!!

19-Sep-21
Amazing! Congrats.

19-Sep-21
Great story Paul! Thanks for sharing

19-Sep-21
WoW ! I am so impressed ! Super Hero are not only in Marvel’s movies

20-Sep-21
Congrats Paul!!! Always a great story teller but I think this was my favorite!!

20-Sep-21
Congrats Paul! What an awesome kill!

20-Sep-21
Congratulations Paul! You’re a machine. Great bull , pictures & story telling as usual.

20-Sep-21
awesome hunt and excellent recap, congrats to you

20-Sep-21
Way to go Paul! You are always an inspiration to this flatlander! If I could be hunting elk at 81 I will have lived an amazing life! Congratulations and thank you as always for the fantastic story telling!

20-Sep-21
Congrats Paul, I always had faith in you to get the job done. I am so glad you hung in there with your recurve and not bail out to use the compound bow when the going gets slow. Us recurve guys must always trust our equipment and have patience. I always look forward to your stories and adventures. Thank you for a awesome story.

20-Sep-21
Just when I think I can't be more amazed at your skill, dedication and passion for the hunt, you just take it up another notch!!

If I'm ever within a thousand miles of Colorado, I'll drive that thousand miles just to shake your hand. Truly a Legend.

21-Sep-21
Hey Richard, While I have always enjoyed all of my bow hunts with compound and recurve bow, the successful ones with the recurve bow stand out the most. Growing up with a recurve bow, long before the compound bow was developed, gives me a special attachment to the stick and I am glad I can still use one with success. As you know, there is something about having a Trad bow in your hand, that just seems natural. my best, Paul

21-Sep-21
Congrats Paul!! Look forward to your elk thread every year. Don't know how it took me this long to find it this year.

21-Sep-21
That is absolutely awesome Paul! You are amazing. So glad to see you still out there punching tags consistently. Looking forward to following along on your annual Nebraska whitetail hunt.

21-Sep-21
WOW! You out-did yourself again, Paul!(which is a very TALL ORDER ;-)

CONGRATS to a BOWSITE LEGEND! Well done sir!

21-Sep-21
Excellent, Paul! Congratulations!

21-Sep-21
I wanna be like Paul when I grow up! ;-)

Congrats Sir on a fine bull!

21-Sep-21
Always enjoy your threads Paul. This is another fantastic one. I couldn’t be happier for you.

21-Sep-21
Thanks for sharing your adventure. Truly inspiring.

21-Sep-21
Congrats Paul!

21-Sep-21
I've always appreciated your posts, but I especially enjoyed this story. Congratulations on taking that beautiful bull.

21-Sep-21
Great bull, Great BOWHUNTER

22-Sep-21

bull at wallow prior to shot
bull at wallow prior to shot
my hide is 20 yards across the wallow behind those pine tree trunks to the left side of the picture.
my hide is 20 yards across the wallow behind those pine tree trunks to the left side of the picture.

22-Sep-21
Great story Paul. Thanks for taking us along and congratulations.

22-Sep-21
I always enjoy reading about your adventures Paul. Thanks again & congratulations!

22-Sep-21
If those temps are accurate that sure makes for some sweaty elk hunting weather.

22-Sep-21
Dammit Paul, you shot my birthday bull!!! ;)

22-Sep-21
Well Jordan, Happy Birthday and I wish you the best. Paul

23-Sep-21
Great job Paul. Thanks for sharing.

23-Sep-21
Nice Paul! Congratulations!!

23-Sep-21
Fun hunt and I appreciate the nice notes. Paul

23-Sep-21
Congrats Paul! Nice bull and great photos and story! Kurt

23-Sep-21
Very nice congratulations!!

26-Sep-21
Hard to believe that the Colorado archery elk season is almost over. The 11 months in between the season just seem to drag on, but the 29 day season just flies by. Four more days to get it done. Actually I have killed two elk during the last few days of the season and I guess the good part of that is that I got to hunt the WHOLE season and just not a few days if successful early. So the question I have is, how many archery elk hunters have killed their elk during the last few days of the elk season?

26-Sep-21
Second to last day in Arizona 2011. Everyone else had given up and there was no one around.

26-Sep-21
Congrats ! Your hunt recaps almost make it seem not too bad to be sitting out another year out west ! Thanks !!

26-Sep-21
Charlie, there has been times during the archery elk season that I took a few days off here and there, and if unsuccessful at the end of that season, I would think back and wished I had continued to hunt and not taken days off., as one of those days-- I might have been successful. "never give up" just might be the answer to being more successful, as you experienced.

26-Sep-21
Tom had always called me "Last Minute Louie" because I seem to have a knack for dragging every hunt out to the bitter end. Elk, caribou, muleys, whitetail, doesn't matter. My last bull came with two days left in the season after I'd basically given up and started hitting spots close to home. Still four days in this season. I must suck as a hunter.

26-Sep-21
Congrats Paul!!! You still get better every year! Imagine what you’ll be like when you hit your prime!

26-Sep-21
Thanks Adam. After hiking back up that morning, killing the bull, and back to camp at midnight, then hiking down to the packer the next am, riding up and retrieving the meat and camp, back down by late after noon, and then driving home, the 5 hours, my PRIME was just about spent. Can't wait until next season. my best, Paul

26-Sep-21
Excellent work! Makes me want to dig out the recurve.

27-Sep-21
Pail, So far I’ve tried One week last year and one this year using a long bow for elk. Last year was brutal. Very few elk in the area. This year was the opposite. I had multiple opportunities but no luck. I’ll keep trying Paul.

27-Sep-21
When I grow up.... ;-)

As usual I'm late to find and read this, but I have an excuse. Great hunt Paul. The bucket weighs a bit less now, eh? You're always an inspiration to me and many others here. The body ages but the spirit driving it remains strong. I really like that about you. The mountains will make you old and young at once. KD

27-Sep-21
Kevin, Can't wait to hear your excuse. Bring it on. Thank you for comments. Just trying to keep the fire burning in myself and others. Keep strong, keep healthy, and keep the passion. Paul

27-Sep-21
Paul, just got back from OTC CO, saw your bull on the meatpole!

You are my hero !!

27-Sep-21
Finally got around to reading this. I was waiting for a morning when I could just sit down and read the whole thing.

I was NOT disappointed! You're such a great story teller, Paul. I really enjoyed it and a HUGE congratulations on killing a fantastic bull with the stick!

27-Sep-21

Jeffery, you have done well over the year and I hope Colorado did not disappoint.

Nick, you are right in the middle of some great WT hunting. Go get one.

Yep, fun hunt for sure.

27-Sep-21
Paul as I hope you know I have followed your posts for many moons. I’m a little late to the party on this one as we were traveling but for sure this journey did not disappoint.All I can say job well done and keep on keeping on,you are on my Mt Rushmore of bow hunting sincerely hope to meet you some day so if y’all get in the Volunteer state just come on we’ll leave the light on.Good luck Lewis

27-Sep-21
Lewis. Motel 6? I love it. You have a deal. Paul

27-Sep-21
Kinda but our backyard of 300 plus acres butting up to a 80,000 acre wma that is if you want to roam stay safe and good luck Lewis

27-Sep-21
Congratulations Paul!

27-Sep-21
Congrats Paul!!! You still get better every year! Imagine what you’ll be like when you hit your prime!

28-Sep-21
Congrats Paul I'll carry your pack next year

28-Sep-21
Thanks Paul for making me smile at work...again, you are the MAN!

28-Sep-21
Congrats Paul on a great bull and fulfilling one of your bucket list. As always great pictures and story telling!

03-Oct-21
Rick, Yes but only up hill! :)

John, If one can smile at work, my pleasure that I was the reason.

Craig, Thanks, I am sure I will see you shorty at the next get together.

03-Oct-21
Wow Paul, you are amazing in many different ways! Congratulations and best wishes for many more such bowhunting adventures.

03-Oct-21
This one makes my day. Your hard work and dedication never cease to impress me, Paul. Hat's off to you buddy.

03-Oct-21
Wow Paul, you are amazing in many different ways! Congratulations and best wishes for many more such bowhunting adventures.

03-Oct-21
“We are not worthy!” is a quote that fits here. As a young guy (66) who shot his first two elk with a longbow but switched to training wheels after multiple shoulder surgeries I stand in reverence and awe. You lit a fire under me that sent me to my man room to dust off the Black Widow and add one last bucket list item to challenge me. Have two sons who want me to take them every year , thank you for taking away my excuses!

03-Oct-21
Great story, maybe it's time to start thinking about Elk again, I've made 29 DIY trips before but at 73 and a flatlander I don't know. Antelope are a lot easier to get out. Congratulations!

04-Oct-21
Excellent work Paul!

BP

08-Oct-21
Awesome Paul! Congrats! Perfect

08-Oct-21
Congrats sir, your adventures are always a pleasure to read

08-Oct-21
Fantastic story! You're an inspiration to the rest of us.

09-Oct-21
Another one for the Bowsite “Library”

10-Oct-21
Good thread

10-Oct-21
Thanks Rick, I hope you wt season is going well. Paul

11-Oct-21
I'm a little late to the party on this one...great story, Paul! Thank you for sharing!

Lots of great hunting stories on Bowsite this year!

11-Oct-21
Aaron , yes, some good stories from guys we never knew existed. i am sure you have a deer hunt lined up shortly. Paul

12-Oct-21
Congrats on a great hunt

23-Oct-21
Dana, elk are very special and if you have not, I hope you get a chance to hunt them. Paul

23-Oct-21
Congratulations Paul! Thank you for sharing!

23-Oct-21
Congratulations Paul! Thank you for sharing!

23-Oct-21
Well some guys are good hunters and great individuals. Clearly Paul is one of those. A great man, wonderful ambassador for hunting. So happy for him. What a great adventure and thanks for bringing us along. Few people could spend a night out on the mountain by themselves, let alone accomplish what Paul has done. Looking forward to hearing about more of his adventures. Way to go Paul. Proud and so very happy for you.

23-Oct-21
Always enjoy a Paul read.. on to Whitetails!!

24-Oct-21
Always look forward to Paul's hunt. He is an inspiration to those of us getting up in the years.

27-Oct-21
Like others, I'm late to this party as well.

Very nice Paul.

I came home from CO empty handed but took someone who never hunted elk before. He had a couple "close" (as in 10 yards close) encounters and watching his eyes light up and listened to the excitement in his voice as he was telling how he was caught off guard with his bow across his lap, he could hear the elk chewing as it stood and stared him down --- it just doesn't get much better.

31-Oct-21
Bob, elk just know when you have the bow, "across the lap", as that is when they show up. Better luck next time. Thanks, Paul

25-Jan-22
TTT - enjoying revisiting recaps

27-Jan-22
Amazing...

30-Jan-22
Great story and bull

30-Nov-22
Pulling another good one up.

30-Nov-22
For sure another Classic! Congratulations again Paul! Well done!

• Sitka Gear