Aubs8 23-Sep-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
WV Mountaineer 10-Oct-21
22-Sep-21

8point's embedded Photo
She looks like she's on her last leg
8point's embedded Photo
She looks like she's on her last leg
Checked cams a few weeks ago and got pics of a doe that was in bad shape. It looks like she has 20,30, 40 ticks and flies on her. I suspect the flies are moping up on blood left by ticks. Sent pic's to DEC for their input..... Crickets. The pics are in 8S sometime from the end of June to the first of Sept., but the camera time stamp is out of wack.

22-Sep-21
She does look pretty emaciated. Sulfur blocks will help alleviate the parasites attscking her but could also be CWD

22-Sep-21
Could be just that her fawns have her drawn down, I've seen it before.

22-Sep-21
Nursing fawns was my first thought as well Jack.

22-Sep-21
Its pretty common to see ribs on does during the summer but those ribs do seem more pronounced than typical.

22-Sep-21
I have a doe who looks very similar with the ribs showing. But she’s got twins and I figured maybe that was why she’s thin.

23-Sep-21
Any Instagram influencer I can tell you… A little lighting goes along way towards making those ribs look a lot more prominent than they really are…

I have been kind of surprised at how lean the deer I have been seeing lately have appeared to be, but the way the acorns are dropping, I expect that to be a pretty temporary situation.

They’ve gotten along for millions of years without our assistant or input, so I don’t see much point in worrying about it…

23-Sep-21

8point's embedded Photo
8point's embedded Photo
Here's another pic. I have pic of other does in the are with twins and those does are in great shape. I can't imagine any healthy animal tolerating that kind of infestation. This gal is in trouble.

23-Sep-21
She does look rough but deer are hardy.

23-Sep-21

23-Sep-21
I would bet on her making it and putting on some weight this fall. Too bad there is probably no way to know for sure.

23-Sep-21
Don’t know if she’d rub it but you could try a Prozap bovi rub.

23-Sep-21
Deer are skinny in the summer. They won’t start adding fat until fatty foods like acorns, beech, beans, etc…. Become available to them. It’s why no food plot or bait pile will compete when the hard mast is available. Fat content is key this time of year.

With all that, the doe is obviously sick. I’m betting she is a goner.

23-Sep-21

Keefers's embedded Photo
Keefers's embedded Photo
Here’s one a friend told me about early this year and I went down the road and took this picture plus a video of her . She was a mature Doe and very pretty face on her but back bone and ribs looked really bad. She died right there that night and was almost picked apart by noon next day .

23-Sep-21
I think she's going to be fine once the mast begins to drop and soft mast is ready and she fattens up.

If you look at her rump, her hip bones aren't showing, and the vertebra aren't as pronounced as those in Keefers post.

My bet is she'll be ready to breed in a month or two.

23-Sep-21

Aubs8's Link

23-Sep-21

Aubs8's Link
Recently read EHD in NY

10-Oct-21
Good thread

10-Oct-21
Ttt

• Sitka Gear