Paul@thefort 30-Sep-21
smarba 30-Sep-21
t-roy 30-Sep-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
WV Mountaineer 10-Oct-21
26-Sep-21

Darrell's embedded Photo
Darrell's embedded Photo
Well, I shot right under a nice bull on my opening week hunt. Can't get him out of mind so I'm going to make the long drive today and hunt Monday & Tuesday and drive home on Wednesday. I'm hoping most will have given up by today. I know its a long shot but you never know!

Here's a game camera picture taken 40 yards from where I shot from less than 15 after pic was taken of a different bull. I was in the right place that morning. Had a stupid coyote walk in front of me at 8 yards while the bull in the pic (pretty sure it was him) and another were walking my way. Of course the coyote stopped, stared at me for about 15 seconds while I was thinking "Crap! You are going to ruin this aren't you." I should have just shot him as sure enough he whirled and ran right at the two bulls which of course stopped them. Without the coyote, they would have passed by me at 30 yards but when I had to cow call to keep them from leaving, they then had my location pinpointed and without seeing a cow, wouldn't come any closer. Ugh! Still an amazing morning and why I do this nonsense.

26-Sep-21
Good luck! I hope you are loaded heavy on the way home.

26-Sep-21
Good luck, Darrell. Hopefully you’ll get a shot at a coyote right after you arrow your bull!……If you’re gonna wish, wish big.

26-Sep-21
Another funny thing about the coyote is that the day after I got back a coyote walked through my back yard (we live outside of town on 5 acres) but unfortunately, my pistol misfired so I didn't get to get my coyote frustration out on him either. I definitely owe a coyote a broad head!

28-Sep-21
Seems like a long drive for a coyote...lol. But seriously, good luck with your elk hunt.

28-Sep-21
Good luck!

28-Sep-21
Just maybe the song-dog was a good sign for your future elk hunt. Think positive.

28-Sep-21
Good luck..hope you score

29-Sep-21
Go get 'em!!

29-Sep-21
Good luck!

30-Sep-21
Well, back empty handed but it was worth the trip. Heard lots of bugles. Called in a silent bull to 65 yards (5 yards on the other side of a private boundary) and had conversations with bulls all 3 mornings and both evenings I was there. I thought on numerous occasions they were about to come on over but unfortunately, they know their safe zone all too well and by this late in the season they weren't about to leave it completely. I also spent many hours sitting in the oak brush rather than my office and got a surprisingly amount of good work done. I picked up a 2# lawn chair from Costco last spring and it was well worth packing up to my ambush site. No cell service so no one bugging me allowed me to get through some material I have been wanting to work through for quite a while. I really need to move closer to the elk woods! I may do a write up during the dead time this winter. Had lots of interesting experiences this year and several close calls. Learned a ton about an area I plan on going back to after I burn my 16 points on 76 next year or the year after.

30-Sep-21
Spectacular! Glad you were able to make a good second run at them!

30-Sep-21
Good work Darrell. Learning an elk hunting area well is very important. Too many elk hunters spend way to much time, traveling and looking for the perfect Honey Hole and end up coming up empty handed. If the correct habitat, food, water and cover this there and one is seeing elk, even on occasion-- elk, stick with it and learn the area, ie, elk patterns, travel, food, and water sources. All it really takes in one elk in bow range.

30-Sep-21
Good for you for trying Darrell! Better to look back and think "I'm glad I tried" then "dang it, I should have tried".

30-Sep-21
Maybe you came home empty handed, but sounds like a very successful trip on all other fronts!

10-Oct-21
Good thread

10-Oct-21
Yep. That’s a great hunt and what we do it for?

• Sitka Gear