Saphead 20-Oct-21
Steve H. 20-Oct-21
grizzly63 21-Oct-21
BullBuster 21-Oct-21
Twinetickler 21-Oct-21
grizzly63 23-Oct-21
Twinetickler 23-Oct-21
10-Oct-21
We are in extreme upstate St.Lawrence co.recently have heard about an EHD outbreak in our area;certainly not good news.A number of deer have been found and the DEC notified.Not much can be done about it.

10-Oct-21
God help you guys. With two buck tags and six weeks of rifle season, now EHD? Sometimes I think DEC is deliberately trying to wipe out the northern herd.

11-Oct-21
EHD has been reported in 17 counties so far. As Pat stated, DEC are continuing on with their "anything but sound management" agenda. Extended hunting hours, early antlerless hunt prior to archery season opening dates, continuing sales of DMP's, and the "Holiday Hunt", all with EHD running rampant through the state. Cannot understand their logic at all.

11-Oct-21
Wildan2 - I have a hunting property in Dekalb Junction and have been scouting several places in St. Lawrence county in the last couple weeks and haven't seen any signs of EHD but maybe it is a small localized area. I had a farm for years in Nebraska and went through a severe EHD outbreak in 2012. I really hope this doesn't become a thing in northern NY, it is hard enough getting the bucks to 4 1/2 as it is.

11-Oct-21
The entire western half of ND has a severe outbreak. It's terrible! Our section of land REEKS of death. It's so sad....

11-Oct-21
No Mercy, what county is your section in?

11-Oct-21
I heard that it is in NE WY right now.

11-Oct-21
Terrible here in SD as well, especially the NW corner of the state. When I was there antelope hunting I stopped counting the bodies after awhile, it was incredibly sad. The silver lining for us is that EHD primarily affects whitetail deer. In the past the holes left by EHD in the whitetail population have allowed mule deer to make a recovery in those areas due to reduced competition.

11-Oct-21
Just sent in a report to MT FWP. I've been finding dead deer in the last week in Eastern MT and yesterday heard of two farms with over 150 dead deer on one and over 100 on another. My trailcams suddenly have no deer on them. Extremely sad, hope FWP suspends the doe tags for the area with gun season a couple weeks away. Last time this happened it took 4 or 5 years for the population to recover.

11-Oct-21
We had an outbreak last year in NYS, mostly in the Southern Tier. This year, it hit a month earlier, which has led a biologist that I had spoken determine that somehow, the parasite wintered here. Typically, after the first frost, the black fly midges, which carry the parasite, die off, and the spread starts from Southern States and in mud flats, where they breed. Since dead deer started being found in June, the spread of EHD has moved North, pretty much in line with the Hudson River. From Nassau and Suffolk counties, up to Oswego county, and most in between. My property is in WMU 4Y, in Columbia County. Between 4 farms and 10 private properties, including mine, over 4 dozen dead deer have been found. My cousin collected 11 in one day, 8 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. This is very bad, and the DEC has shown zero effort in any form regarding it, other then FINALLY issuing a statement last week, where over 1,200 dead deer have been reported statewide.

11-Oct-21
I feel terrible for you guys! So far, I haven’t heard of any outbreaks in Iowa this year, thankfully.

11-Oct-21
Found two in Central Missouri. I'm sure there are many more

11-Oct-21
Rock-we are in Grant county SW of Bismarck 60 miles.

11-Oct-21
EHD just found in Vermont.

12-Oct-21

montnatom's Link
more info on the eastern Montana outbreak. Nice to see whitetail doe tags immediately reduced from 4000 to 2000 due to the outbreak.

12-Oct-21
Thankfully here in NE Wyoming and W South Dakota temperatures have finally dropped. Plenty of snow. All the older bucks I had been seeing on my place are dead I think. Found 1 crows are telling me of more. No older bucks on any cameras for awhile.

13-Oct-21

No Mercy's embedded Photo
No Mercy's embedded Photo

No Mercy's Link
ND Game and Fish announced that people can send tags back for refunds today. So sad. My uncle found quite a few while combining corn earlier this week

14-Oct-21
You're right we did get a nice freeze and a bunch of moisture the last couple of days in northwest South Dakota so hopefully it will be over with for this year anyway.

14-Oct-21
So sad. How cold does it need to get and for how long to kill those midges? Anyone know? We had a good storm roll through most of MT last week, snow and freezing temps but not wicked cold. Hope it was enough.

14-Oct-21
SNH it just has to get below freezing.

14-Oct-21
We were in Broadus a couple of days ago and it was cold, windy and snowy the last couple of days. We finished up hunting and drove over to I-90 on Tuesday morning. Hit a lot of mush between Broadus and Lame Deer. It was slow going at first. Semi's who didn't chain up didn't get far heading up the hill to Ashland. Seen one sliding backwards downhill. They got a lot more snow after we left.

16-Oct-21

DanaC's Link
More on the Vermont outbreak

https://www.fieldandstream.com/conservation/ehd-confirmed-in-vermont/

16-Oct-21
Why doesn't it affect muleys? They have velvet antlers too. Isnt that the entry point?

16-Oct-21

ND String Puller's embedded Photo
3 so far at our place just died last week. One little buck and two does.

16-Oct-21

16-Oct-21
Thank you global warming…

16-Oct-21
Any "hooved" animals can be infected,has for some reason killed mostly does in our area or maybe we just didn't find the bucks.

17-Oct-21
We are getting hammered by EHD along the Clearwater River in Idaho. I found two dead including my third largest buck so far on my property. No stopping it with no freezing in sight. Hundreds of dead deer all over the place nearby. The draws smell with rot.

18-Oct-21
Over the weekend we did a more thorough look-we found 21 on a half section. 3 bucks and 18 does-all whitetails. Supposed to get down to 26 this week-thankfully.

20-Oct-21
I found a fresh one just before the storm hit. At 4,000 feet. I didnt think it would happen at that high of altitude. J It enters thru the nose I believe. I have never seen a muley or antelope die from it. But maybe they do. Always seems just the whitetail

20-Oct-21

Steve H.'s embedded Photo
Steve H.'s embedded Photo
About a week ago on the Powder River, south of Broadus, MT.

21-Oct-21
We had a pretty severe outbreak in western South Dakota a few years back and it really surprised me that we didn't find a single carcass while rifle hunting the area in Nov. We knew the deer were gone as there were very few left. Private controlled fields that used to have over 100 in them had maybe 10 left. The coyotes must have got really fat that year. We didn't even find any skulls or antlers. I do not believe that there was a concerted effort to clean them all up but they were gone.

21-Oct-21
The bears are feasting in my area. Put trail camera on a carcass but only coming in at night.

21-Oct-21
Grizzly how is it looking out there now? We are headed to South Central SD on the 6th hoping it hasn't hit there? Thanks for any intel!

23-Oct-21
The GFP page has a map on it of affected areas. I would guess its not 100% accurate but should give you an idea. As Dakota has pointed out, some areas out west got hit pretty hard. If I remember right, the southern area may have taken a hit but take a look and decide for yourself, I'm headed to Jackson and it doesn't appear bad there but it still has not recovered from the last hard hit. If nothing else, its still a vacation, right? Let us know what you see please. A guy I work with hunts in Douglas and he hasn't mentioned his in laws down there saying anything about it. Good luck.

23-Oct-21
Thanks for the update. I'll report back on how we do. Talked to the biologist yesterday and he said it's not bad, still seeing lots of deer. That was encouraging.

• Sitka Gear