Fisher 21-Oct-21
wild1 21-Oct-21
Fisher 21-Oct-21
Fisher 21-Oct-21
Bou'bound 22-Oct-21
BullBuster 22-Oct-21
timex 22-Oct-21
11-Oct-21
If you were a mid 20’s single guy that was an avid hunter, where would you live? I have a possible career change that would allow me to live anywhere in the U.S. I prefer western states and am an avid mule deer and elk hunter. I’ve been strongly considering Wyoming or Montana. I currently live in the greater Salt Lake area, and although I really don’t mind it, I grew up in a small town and would prefer to move to something similar.

11-Oct-21
Mid 20 and single, I would be looking for does, :) you can always travel to hunt

11-Oct-21
Alaska!

11-Oct-21
Depends...do you still need to make a living? If so, you should definitely look for that work/play balance. I live in ID. The wages aren't the best but the outdoor opportunities are endless.

Make it count for you while you're free to do so!

11-Oct-21
Montana or Wyoming for me. Alaska is great but I like year round hunting . Good place to visit!! Best of luck. You want regret it!!

11-Oct-21
Swamp buck, I guess I should rephrase that to single by my choice. Haha I will have to travel for work occasionally, but the trips will be infrequent enough that distance to an airport isn’t all that important.

11-Oct-21
WY. No state income tax.

11-Oct-21
Hard to go wrong with WY, ID or MT.

11-Oct-21
Wyoming, for a much better tax situation.

11-Oct-21

Tilzbow's Link
Don’t just look at state income tax when considering where to live. There’s also sales tax, gas tax, property tax, car registration and so on. Each state gets your money at fairly equal rates, within a few percentage points, some just hide it better than others.

That said WY and Alaska are great choices. See link for a more expansive view of tax by state.

11-Oct-21
Wyoming

11-Oct-21
If I had gone to Cody Wyoming when I was a young single man, I would have never come back.

11-Oct-21
WY or MT for me.

11-Oct-21
Wyoming.

11-Oct-21
Now, keep in mind, Kanye West recently bought property in WY...why??

11-Oct-21
Generally speaking, what will give you the most ability to pursue your avid hunting dreams would be Living in the the State of Financial Independence.... so what ever will get you there is what I recommend.

11-Oct-21
CF: depends on what you know how to do?

11-Oct-21
Daniel or Pinedale, Wyoming .

11-Oct-21
Wyoming Wyoming Wyoming ! Those are my three choices. Hell, I wouldn’t have to be 20, just take 20 off of my age and I’d go. Hindsight is truly 20/20.

11-Oct-21
If I were to move from Montana, it would only be for Wyoming or Alaska. Now if I were young and no one to worry about, but myself, I'd be packed and heading for Alaska.

11-Oct-21
Alberta. And there isn’t even a close second

11-Oct-21
Zambia

11-Oct-21
Sundowner, you ever been to Pinedale in January? ;-) There are far more pleasant (relatively speaking) places to live in WY.

11-Oct-21
70lbdraw, his place is for sale I believe for only 11 million.

Wyoming

11-Oct-21
I live in Idaho, great state! But to choose all over my heart would be in WY! It still may be!

ElkNut

11-Oct-21
Too bad CO is what it is, but there is still some great hunting opportunity as a CO resident. Wyoming wouldn't be bad, the wind sucks.

12-Oct-21
If I were back in my 20's I would consider living in AK for a couple years, then move to either MT, ID, WY, or back to CO, would even consider WA for a couple years. Hunt as much as you can in what ever state your living in. If your job is that mobile I would try a couple of states.

12-Oct-21
Worland Wyoming. It is the least windiest place in the state.

12-Oct-21
Ne Oregon Wallowa county

12-Oct-21
Nanana, Alaska. From there I would be within driving range of everything that state has to offer.

12-Oct-21
Wyoming or Alaska

12-Oct-21
Does it come down to 'how much winter do I like'?

12-Oct-21
I wish I was in my mid 20's with the knowledge I have now. Check out Philipsburg, MT.

12-Oct-21
Vegas

12-Oct-21
Wyoming

12-Oct-21
Mid-20s and single? Dallas Texas, you need to be hunting the ladies. Flights are cheap out of Dallas.

Otherwise a cool mountain town like Boise, Bend, Coeur d’Alene or Bozeman that has the ladies. You can always retreat to a shack in the woods in your 60s but you’ll never be in your 20s again.

12-Oct-21
Wyoming 100%

MT is headed in a bad direction IMO

12-Oct-21
I'd choose Colorado. There's a lot more to life at 20-something to be enjoyed in addition to great hunting. You'll find all of that "other" stuff more abundantly in Colorado than Wyoming (although I seem to get in plenty of trouble in Wyoming so....). Then move to Wyoming when you're 35-40.

12-Oct-21
Spent my early 20's in CO, WY and MT. Loved it

12-Oct-21
For where I am in WY all the 20 somethings leave, we have older folks and young families, kids graduate, then leave only to return to raise families later in life

Slim pickings for 20 something social life

12-Oct-21
Social life? I'd rather spend my time in the woods. I am considered an oddball though.....

12-Oct-21
Wyoming. There are women to be found everywhere, elk, antelope and conservative politics not so much.

12-Oct-21
Oooh well said Bowfreak^^^^^

12-Oct-21
Sheridan, WY but if you want a better chance at filling some "doe" tags also I'd choose CO for now. :)

12-Oct-21
Alaska offers opportunities no other state has - you can hunt Dall Sheep, Mountain Goats, Moose, and Grizzly and black bears every year as a resident there. But, knowing what I know now, I wish I had spent my 20’s somewhere in the Dakotas, near one of the Missouri River empoundments. Great deer and Turkey hunting, some of the best waterfowling, and the best upland bird hunting in the lower 48. Also, fantastic warmwater fishing opportunities, and fewer humans and urban sprawl than all of the “cool” mountain town states. And, you can always travel to hunt elk:) Poudre

12-Oct-21
^^^^!!

12-Oct-21
Scottsdale, Arizona area. Tons of good looking girls, and great hunting in the state and surrounding states. Nice houses are super affordable compared to NY/CA

12-Oct-21
Believe it or not, there are other things in life than hunting--shocker! I had a chance to move to MT when my family was young(wife and I were circa 30 and my twins were 2 yo). I turned down the offer and stayed here in KY and I am glad I did. My Dad ended up sick with cancer a few years later and subsequently died but I was glad I got to spend that time with he and my Mom and then was able to raise my children close to their grandparents. Life is short but that is something to think about......

12-Oct-21
Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it. As far as women go, I’m not that worried about it. Not that I’m not interested, but the couple times I’ve been up to Cody I was able to rustle up a little fun. Haha As for work, I currently am an apprentice plumber and I guide hunts. I have an opportunity to keep guiding, but have a gig that I can work remotely the rest of the year. I grew up in a small town and I just miss the environment. I like knowing my neighbors and people around town. Where I’m at now, everything just seems so fast paced and I can’t stand the crowding. I know there’s more to life than hunting, but I currently seem to hunt 100+ days most years and when I’m not hunting, I’m working to pay for my hopeless addiction or planning other hunts.

13-Oct-21
If I knew then... I'd have looked hard at the Finger Lakes area of New York.

13-Oct-21
If it's mainly about hunting opportunity, good to keep in mind that there are sooooooo many other species to hunt in North America besides deer & elk & pronghorn. For that reason, if given a choice, I wouldn't pick a western state, but rather the Canadian province of British Columbia. Seventeen of the NA 29 can be hunted there, more than any other state or province. Plus lynx, wolverine, bobcat, and wolves can be hunted/trapped. The wisest among us have already chosen thusly. If it absolutely had to be in the USA, then the next best choice is of course Alaska.

13-Oct-21

darktimber's embedded Photo
darktimber's embedded Photo
Wyoming is great! We have two seasons anymore; smokey summer and windy winter. Looks like we’re skipping fall again this year! You’d think after 20 years I would be acclimated to it!!

13-Oct-21
I was in the same boat as KY EyeBow, but everyone's life and needs in life are different. I went back to school for a career change, so got my degree in my mid 20's. My Dad passed with cancer around the same time and I'm glad I was able to spend time with him and family. I'm still around family with my kids and don't regret that one bit. Went to MT and WY last year and can possibly see myself there one day, but I would miss the saltwater fishing I grew up with too. I wish you luck and happiness wherever you end up.

13-Oct-21
Central MA. Because I love New England and can be in mountains or at the ocean in less than 2hrs and there are lots of cool outdoor things to do outdoors and in. Plus I have 5 airports within 90' that can take me anywhere if needed.

I will say with confidence I'm the only person on Bowsite who thinks this choice is good ha ha ha!

13-Oct-21
If it’s a question of pure hunting opportunities and experience. One of the top hunting countries on the African continent would give you very useful hunting experience for anywhere else in the world. Perhaps become a PH for an established company. Although not easy, it can be done.

If US only Alaska or Wy

13-Oct-21
Cancun, Cabos or Puerto Vallarta are great places for hunting as well

13-Oct-21

7mm08's embedded Photo
Last night before additional snow and wind.
7mm08's embedded Photo
Well Wyoming is nice at times, but these past few days have been rough! No mule deer hunting as many roads are closed and many more, unpassable. Three days ago, I was hunting in a T-shirt. Today, my truck is stuck 10 feet from my garage, the neighbor is stuck in his drive, and a road grader was stuck on our road this morning. Forty mph winds and five-foot snow drifts!

13-Oct-21

7mm08's embedded Photo
7mm08's embedded Photo
Well Wyoming is nice at times, but these past few days have been rough! No mule deer hunting as many roads are closed and many more, unpassable. Three days ago, I was hunting in a T-shirt. Today, my truck is stuck 10 feet from my garage, the neighbor is stuck in his drive, and a road grader was stuck on our road this morning. Forty mph winds and five-foot snow drifts!

13-Oct-21

7mm08's embedded Photo
Another from last night. My driveway.
7mm08's embedded Photo
Another from last night. My driveway.

13-Oct-21
I moved from a small town in north Georgia to Missoula Montana in 1999. People back home told me I was crazy . Said he will be home after the first winter. 22 years later and still the best decision I ever made. You only live once. Chase your dreams!! Hunt

13-Oct-21
Poudre-I grew up in central ND. It's a great place to grow up and I still live on the Eastern Part of the state. The bird hunting and walleye fishing here is world class. The over the counter archery deer tags are awesome too. After that, the big game hunting severely lacks. We have antelope, but it takes almost 10 years to draw the tags now. Moose, Elk and Bighorn are once in a lifetime tags. Although the state is pretty conservative, the bigger cities (Fargo, Grand Forks, Bismarck) are changing rapidly. When I retire I am probably going to Wyoming....

13-Oct-21
Glad to see people completely underestimate Canada. Animals in Alberta are flirting with World Record quality in nearly every category, not to mention the abundance is ridiculous, no people, and acres of land. Sheep, elk, moose, mulies, whitetails, bears, fishing etc etc. Conservative place, wages are insane, no provincial sales tax due to oil $. I live in a decent place, but I have hunted there and it blew my socks off. The average hunter looks like Ulmer after hunting there. Small towns galore, or a couple major cities. Friendly people.

13-Oct-21
Apauls, you convinced me. Where should I live in Alberta

13-Oct-21
Apauls…Alberta is just ok.

13-Oct-21
I honestly hadn’t looked into Canada at all as I wasn’t sure about the hoops I’d have to jump through to become a citizen. I’m aware that the hunting opportunities are numerous just through some guys I follow on social media that live in BC. Maybe I should look into it a bit more. I know with Wyoming’s the winters are going to be terrible. I’ve been a little spoiled in Salt Lake with the mild winters the last handful of years, but I’m fairly used to harsh winters. Where I grew up, and lived until I was about 17, temps in the negatives were common along with a crazy amount of snow. I’ve spent a lot of time on the eastern side of the U.S., and I just don’t think it’s for me. I really appreciate everyone’s insight and recommendations though.

13-Oct-21
It's interesting that out of all the people who recommended Wyoming, only one of them actually lives there. There are reasons why it has the lowest population of any state. Don't get me wrong, I love hunting and fishing in Wyoming, but I'd hate the constant wind and harsh winters up there. For me, the rural areas on the front range of Colorado are pretty hard to beat, despite the general political environment of Colorado's big cities.

In hindsight, I would have spent more time in South Florida in my 20-30s, if my work would have allowed it. I've grown to love saltwater fishing as much as I do hunting western big game.

Matt

13-Oct-21
New Zealand

14-Oct-21
Re Will "Central MA. Because I love New England..."

I live here too. The fishing is mediocre, the hunting is sparse, but the reasons you give are valid enough. And the 3-D shooting is good ;-)

(And, yeah, I get that the political situation is liberal af, yaddayaddayadda. If you find absurdity comical, it can be amusing.)

14-Oct-21
Grey Ghost, I did it the opposite way. I lived all over Florida in my 20s. FtLauderdale, Panama City, Jacksonville area.

Fresh water and offshore fishing. I can’t find a picture where I have long pants or shoes.

I was either fishing or diving. Thinking back. I wonder what my Mercury levels where:^)))) All I ate was fish and lobster. Talk about the Salt Life

15-Oct-21
I'm 22. Just finished college in May. I currently live in Connecticut. Plan is to make some money and get out of here within the next few years. Hopefully be able to move to Montana or Wyoming. Lots more game to chase, resident prices, and a lot less liberals. Counting down the days!

15-Oct-21
Altitude Sickness, what made you end up in Michigan of all places? :-)

I totally get the "Salt Life" reference. We had our first snow storm where I live in Colorado, yesterday. It made me so anxious for my Sanibel trip in about a week. Hopefully the tarpon will be migrating back thru that area when I get down there. If not, there's always snook, reds, jacks, trout, triple tail, grouper, sharks, a sun burn, and a buzz to be caught down there. ;-)

Matt

16-Oct-21
Definitely Newfie. Eddies Cove West up on the Northern Peninsula, drive up to Black Duck Cove and I can zip over to Labrador.

16-Oct-21

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
G.G. I retired from the Navy and went home. Michigan is a great state for sportsman also. I went Grouse hunting then within a week Salmon fishing.

16-Oct-21
Surprising no one sees the allure of Connecticut given all the live hunt action on the site

16-Oct-21
Anywhere except new England states, CA ,MD or NY.

17-Oct-21
Jack, there's a LOT more to NY than the Big Apple. Western NY is very nice, rolling hills, lots of deer, modest cost of living, people are friendly. Plenty of public land for hunting, plenty of farmland. Good fishing. And you're not far from western PA, plenty more to do there.

17-Oct-21
Dana,

We recently road-tripped thru north western PA and NY on I90 thru Buffalo, and you are correct, it's some beautiful country. It was my first trip thru there, and I was surprised to see all the grape farms in that area.

Matt

17-Oct-21
While doing my time in the USCG, I had the opportunity to live in numerous states (N, E, S, and W) and in PR. I grew up in Florida. IMO a lot has to do with where you've been and what your future plans are.

What you like when you're in your 20's might not be what you like when you're 40 and above. You also have to consider who/whom you might be marrying. The old saying we had for guys who married local PR (Puerto Rico) girls was, "marry the girl, marry the island". I knew quite a few guys who married local, got transferred back to the states and their PR spouse didn't/couldn't/wouldn't adapt to the US mainland side of life and left them. That same situation could apply to a future mate you marry in a small town.....you might find yourself also marrying that town and being "stuck" there.

I always liked the mountains and small town life so I'm biased. At my age and situation, I too am tax sensitive to any place I would consider moving to. Political winds is also a major factor for me too.

Money, taxes and politics aside and strictly looking at outdoor opportunities in the mainland US......Oregon and Washington would be top contenders. They have great salt and freshwater fishing....salmon, trout, steelies, crabbing, sturgeon, halibut, bottom fishing, etc. Hunting wise they have both elk types and Oregon may have Tules?? They have the three deer types, sheep, antelope, upland birds, bears, cats. Oregon has a lot of natural beauty to camp at. Although I lived there twice, I would never consider living there permanent due to the things in my opening sentence of this paragraph.

Peco above mentioned Phillipsburg, MT. I've been there a few times now and find the natural beauty of that place outstanding. I was just looking at property there a couple of nights ago. It's a small town nestled in a green valley, lots of hunting and fishing there. I also recently became intrigued with Lewistown, MT. Another small town with some outdoor opportunity that isn't over-run with foreigners from the west/east coasts. For WY.....I liked the Dubois area. Alaska seems to have a lot to offer for hunting and fishing but the high cost and uncertainty of the petroleum industry would make me think hard about that. As the current political winds want to go green and get rid of fossil fuels....I think that would hurt or cripple Alaska's economy down the road as high fuel costs trickle down to the other industries.

Moving to Canada sounds intriguing but the possibility of paying dual taxes might be a concern. I would never give up my US citizenship. My bro who retired from doing US govt border work said it is way too hard to get it back once you give it up. If you could get legal, dual US/CAN citizenship....then maybe. I have a family relative who lives in Australia and that is a concern.

All of this is my opinion so take it for what it's worth....everyone will have their own views and likes/dislikes.

20-Oct-21

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
Housing costs may be a factor unless you make a *lot* of money. This chart shows what you need to afford a house. (Note that Hawaii is an outlier, CA, CO and MA are next most costly.)

20-Oct-21
That 'intersection' where IL, MO, AR, TN and KY all come together could be 'whitetail heaven' if you're inclined to hunt multiple states. Also remember that not all areas in an 'expensive' state are equally pricey. Get further from the big cities and prices go down.

20-Oct-21
You're not going to get anything close to "small town housing prices" within 100 miles of Salt Lake City. I would love to move to Wyoming, but for work, I need Fiber Optic internet and need to live within 1hr of an international airport. As a result I also live in Salt Lake City. Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for.

DanaC, I don't buy that chart 1 bit. My girlfriend sold her "starter home" which was about 50 miles from Salt Lake City, for $640k. It was a pretty nice place, but a hell of a commute. 4, houses north of mine in town which isn't that nice sold for $570k and this is probably about 1500 sq ft and this is not a "fancy" neighborhood. You'd need at least $100k/year of income on a 30 year mortgage (should be illegal to go that long) and the ability to choke down cat food to afford that, unless you also happen to have several hundred thousand for a down payment. These are actual sold comps since August 2021. I lived in Oregon for a few years and it's more expensive than Utah and am building a house in California which is off the charts expensive. it may be a good relative chart, but I'd add at least $50k to those #'s, at least in the states and places I've lived in and you wouldn't even be doing all that well, but you could do it.

20-Oct-21
Remember the job is important too. Once you make enough money you can hunt all you want, wherever you choose.

20-Oct-21
Missouribreaks….not correct on money alone. You need time to hunt as well. A very high paying job for a company (not owned by you) won’t necessarily have adequate time off to go on several out of state hunts each year.

20-Oct-21
Good chart Dana. New Zealand would be worth looking into. Lots to hunt. Great fishing. It kind of like Colorado / Wyoming surrounded by Ocean. Clean and not crowded. I considered it in my 40's but decided to stay in the states. Good neighbors are worth gold

20-Oct-21
My choice would be Alaska or Wyoming> Scott

21-Oct-21
My advice is move to Wyoming unless something better happens first!

21-Oct-21
Wyoming is WAY to windy and cold. I'd be looking at S/W Idaho or Northern AZ. Good luck!

21-Oct-21
My advice is to move to Wyoming unless something better happens first!

21-Oct-21
My advice is to move to Wyoming unless something better happens first!

22-Oct-21
Surprising no one sees the allure of Connecticut given all the live hunt action on the site

22-Oct-21
MT vs WY. Both are windy but I think WY is worse. If you also love fly fishing and bird hunting then MT gets my nod.

22-Oct-21
Doesn't fit your criteria but I absolutely love where I live. The eastern shore of va is an awesome place for a sportsman to live. The Atlantic Ocean & offshore fishing on one side the Chesapeake bay & inshore fishing on the other plenty of freshwater fishing in the middle. Great waterfowl hunting. Plenty of deer in fact a deer overpopulation problem. Great small game hunting everything except quail. & for being on the east coast cheap living thanks to the nature conservancy buying all the barrier islands. No big oceanfront development here. It truly is a sportsman's paradise. But no elk or mule deer here.

• Sitka Gear