Mathews Inc.
Wtf was I thinking when I hung a stand??
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
cath8r 23-Oct-21
Guardian hunter 23-Oct-21
Aspen Ghost 23-Oct-21
Pat Lefemine 23-Oct-21
Dale06 23-Oct-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 23-Oct-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 23-Oct-21
70lbdraw 23-Oct-21
Paul@thefort 23-Oct-21
4nolz@work 23-Oct-21
Chief 419 24-Oct-21
Treefarm 24-Oct-21
cath8r 24-Oct-21
Slate 24-Oct-21
Hancock West 25-Oct-21
APauls 25-Oct-21
12yards 26-Oct-21
Fuzzy 28-Oct-21
Buffalo1 29-Oct-21
23-Oct-21
Hung a stand this summer on the edge of a suspected bedding area. I've seen deer head in this direction mid morning over the last few years and did something about it this summer. Climbed in 30 minutes ago and I'm not impressed. Too exposed.... it seemed perfect in July. Almost tempted to move it but the wind is right and gonna see how she goes.... but damn I'm annoyed at myself!

23-Oct-21
Just stay still. Let them go past you and then move to draw. I have a ladder stand 17 feet up in a sunken meadow that my boys kill good deer every year. It is unprotected by other trees. Just stay still

23-Oct-21
yes, put the phone away and sit still!

23-Oct-21
This is why I almost always pick my stand locations in the winter. Things look so much better in the summer.

23-Oct-21
Been there. Things change big time when the leaves fall. I’d sit it out and see what happens. Better sit still, and good luck.

23-Oct-21
Been there done that. However, have one stand on a “telephone pole” pine tree and my uncle kills from it every year.

23-Oct-21
Been there done that. However, have one stand on a “telephone pole” pine tree and my uncle kills from it every year.

23-Oct-21
Most of us bowhunt for the challenge...this just throws a twist to your challenge...it might pay off well!

Let us know how it goes!

23-Oct-21
If you feel too exposed especially if he sun is shining on you, but and the deer are coming from one direction out front, turn the stand 120 degrees, on the back side of the tree and use the tree as a blind/blocker from the view of the deer.

23-Oct-21
AFTER season mark the trails much more visible then.

24-Oct-21
^^^^What Paul said. Use the tree as cover. Rotate your stand and you won’t be so exposed.

24-Oct-21
That’s why I wear darn near snow camo. Nothing worse than a dark blob in an unprotected tree. I sat in just such tree tonight. I had an 8 point walk directly under me. My light-colored camo helps me blend into sky. Buck was only a 2.5 so he got a pass.

24-Oct-21
Thanks guys. Got skunked but it did start raining pretty good the last 2 hrs of the hunt.

24-Oct-21
And make sure you are using Scent Thief lol

25-Oct-21
What pat said.

25-Oct-21
That’s why I pick my tree a minute before I hunt lol. Always hunting most recent sign in the right wind. Sorry, just being an ass. I mainly do it cause otherwise my stuff would get stolen. But the other reasons are good too

26-Oct-21
I'm with APauls. Same story for me.

28-Oct-21
better a good spot in a bad tree than a good tree in a bad spot

29-Oct-21
Hecs suit, Ozonics machine & Dead Down Wind spray= guaranteed kill !!

Best of luck- just hunt the right wind and be still-good chance things will provide a positive outcome.

• Sitka Gear