ElkNut1 26-Oct-21
Treeline 26-Oct-21
ElkNut1 26-Oct-21
25-Oct-21

Royboy 's embedded Photo
After we jumped the herd they settled down and walked away
Royboy 's embedded Photo
After we jumped the herd they settled down and walked away
So I have a question about how you might’ve try to finish this stalk we did this year. So I’m a guide and I have a client with me a we spot this herd of elk (about 60 animals) and we watch them bed way down below us. It’s raining lightly and I think I can work with the light wind as it’s 7:30 am . We travel about 1 1/2 miles to get a around and below the elk and my plan was to sneak up to the edge and peek over and try to get a shot. When we get really close I spot a couple cows bedded right over the edge so we back off and come over about 50 yards to the side and I send my client in front of me and as he tops out he sees a bedded bull at 40 and to his left a calf at 20 that busts us and everything starts moving. We run forward a few yards and I spot a bull but I can’t get him in my rangefinder so I cow call him in an opening and the bull stops and my client sends it. He thought the bull was 60 or less but it was about 68 so the arrow drops under the bull. One cool thing is the illuminoks he used were so visible. Anyway wondering how others might have done the stalk .

25-Oct-21
Just like you did if I was smart enough to figure it out. Not sure how else to answer the question. The opportunity presented itself. The shot fell short of doing the deed. I think we have all been there. I don’t think it gets any better with 60 sets of eyes, ears, and noses.

25-Oct-21
Wondering if some would try cow calling or like a slow play or maybe bugle

25-Oct-21
If the calf didn’t bust you you would have been heroes. Any number of variables on other options. You almost had it…twice. That’s pretty good for archery

25-Oct-21
Thanks it was really a great try certainly one of my best stalks ever but still trying to figure how to get it done. One major problem is my ADHD kicks in to high gear and it’s very hard to make a decision with so many options running around in my head

25-Oct-21
Thanks it was really a great try certainly one of my best stalks ever but still trying to figure how to get it done. One major problem is my ADHD kicks in to high gear and it’s very hard to make a decision with so many options running around in my head

25-Oct-21
With all those eyes and noses, I don't think you could have done it any better...it was a solid plan.

25-Oct-21

25-Oct-21
Not sure why the duplicate posts

25-Oct-21
I personally would a slow played a little more. Had my client up on the lip and made some subtle elk noises below the edge to try to get the bull to come look. Breaking a few sticks Rollin a few rocks and my favorite pulling grass. Hunt

25-Oct-21
It's a great thought to slip in stealthily with good wind & hopefully get that needed shot opportunity. Issue is dealing with a hunter with most likely little archery elk killing experience since he is with a guide. --- Using Cow Calling at 100 yards or so is a Big Mistake on OTC Elk in your situation, why, because some of those elk would try calling you to the group; you as a hunter cannot come, they get buggered right there & move off! I would have considered doing this with the client.

Stay back from those bedded elk 300 yards or so, get the wind right & a GREAT Setup spot where any approaching Bulls/Cows cannot see source of calling without being in bowrange. -

Once setup with the wind/cover right you'll want to imitate as many cow sounds as you can  with two cow calls each or more, you guys will sound like a chorus of cows as you cast your chatter left, right & behind you. Even toss in 2-3 Contact Buzzes! (No Bugling) Change volume, pitch & tone as you make it sound realistic. Do this for 5 - 6 minutes, wind it up & wind it down. You can randomly toss out a cow call or two over the next 2 minutes letting other elk know you are still there.  Be mindful to have callers face each other 5 yards apart, this gives you a 360 view for those elk that show where you didn't think they would! Sit & wait. Stay FOCUSED!!! Most Elk will come in silent & show up within 20 minutes but wait for 45min!   Super deadly tactic! It will bring in bulls in most cases well over cows showing 1st! (A big mistake would be to do this at a 100 yards or so from the elk)

ElkNut

25-Oct-21
Hunt- I haven’t done any grass pulling but might have to add that to the repertoire. Elknut- curious why I wouldn’t do it real close to the elk? 300 yards was a ways out when I felt I could get pretty close

25-Oct-21
Be ready to kill him at 40 bedded before the calf blew out. Did he duck back down after the calf spotted him? Have an arrow ready, see bedded bull, kill bedded bull. As everybody else has said sounds like a solid encounter. In my experience when you get in tight you gotta be in kill mode. Hesitation doesn't kill. The perfect kill opportunity usually isn't perfect. Sounds like you did what you could as the guide.

25-Oct-21
Agree pulling grass is a good tactic as long as elk is within hearing distance. You must be very close to close the deal there. I've done it as well with a bull that was 20 yards away but behind cover, it worked!

Royboy, because if you use random cow calling too close to elk with that size herd especially it's very common for cows or bulls to call you over; you can't come!! This will send them packing after a nervous minute or so when you don't show.

Distance from them is key, they won't call you to themselves. You know the elk are there, get them or some to commit, preferably a bull. I've called in countless bulls over the years with this Tactic when I knew elk were nearby. It's just another option on Non aggressive elk. If elk don't show it's no big deal, they're still right there. If elk/bulls were showing rutting characteristics I would get 150-200 yards away & hammer them with The Threat, it's a killer tactic on aggressive elk. This was not your case.

Again, I suggest the calling because your client most likely wasn't a seasoned elk killer. That's a huge consideration over a seasoned elk killers instincts.

ElkNut

26-Oct-21
only suggestion here would be if you guide for a living consider leaving out the internet posts visible to the world that say your ADHD kicks in and you and it's hard to make decisions when you get into the action. clients don't need to know that. otherwise you did well to get a crack at it. the guy took a shot he was obviously not able to execute under the pressure and unknowns of the situation and that's not on you. he either was out of his element and should not have shot or was capable and blew it.

26-Oct-21
Royboy, In a nutshell I want you to know I feel you played the situation out pretty darned good! You got your client to 40 yards from a bull, the rest was up to him to execute, no guarantees but I'll bet he was pleased with the results to just have the opportunity!

Put Client on the bench of elk but just out of their sight as Huntman mentions; Client is 50 yards or so from the bedded bull, now you back up another 60-70 yards from client to a good tree for raking. Start with 3-4 cow mews loud enough for bull to hear, wait 30 seconds & start raking the tree for 30 seconds to a minute & repeat. Watch your clients demeanor, it will let you know when an elk is coming. This is as simple as it gets yet in most cases it will draw a bull in 1st over any cows coming & ruining the encounter. (No Bugling Needed)

ElkNut

26-Oct-21
This ^^^^

26-Oct-21
Lol Bou, I think my clients kind of got me figured out as soon as I meet them. I don’t guide for a living just do a couple archery elk hunts in September plus I’m almost 63 and not sure how long I’ll be guiding. And Paul yes I think that would’ve been a good thing to try and actually a few days later I did call a bull and a cow away from a bedded herd. The bull came to 50 with a branch in my hunters lane and the cow came to 5 yards from my guy trying to see me over the edge.

26-Oct-21
Hey Fred, looks like you had some great opportunities this year, way to go man! Gotta love elk hunting!!!!

ElkNut

26-Oct-21
Based on your description of the events, you did quite well to get in that tight with a guided hunter. Not a bad choice at all and it presented two opportunities. Well executed!

I will say that Paul’s tactics are very sound and offer the advantage of still being able to make another move. That tactic has put elk on the ground for me on more than one occasion. Both the soft approach with the distance cow calling and the secondary slide in and getting aggressive by challenging with a bugle.

Hunt’s tactics have put a couple of Arizona bulls on the ground for guys with me as well.

The more tricks you have up your sleeve, the better! Just tend to forget stuff that worked well at times as I get older…

26-Oct-21
Tavis, I agree 100%, Versatility & being able to adjust & adapt to multiple encounters in a whisper is what dictates yearly success!

What I'd like to know is what some feel is a Slow Play in their minds?

I have a Slow Play I've shared for a few years & am curious if it's something similar? Thanks!

ElkNut

• Sitka Gear