txhunter58 10-Nov-21
JohnMC 10-Nov-21
Paul@thefort 10-Nov-21
JohnMC 11-Nov-21
Paul@thefort 11-Nov-21
25-Oct-21

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
So yesterday when out hunting mid day driving from one spot to another, I spot this Bald Eagle. I noticed he has bands on legs. So I snap a few photos. This morning I put them on computer and zoom in on bands. I was able to read the numbers. So I hop on the World Wide Web and go to ‘Banded Bird Encounter Reporting’. Type in the information. Soon get the email I’ll put in second post.

25-Oct-21

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Turns out it was banded in 1998. That would make it 23 years old. I’d been a senior in college at the time.

I guess they can live to be up to about 30 in the wild. I thought it was pretty cool that I could see it, photograph, read the numbers, report, and then get info back on when banded.

25-Oct-21
That is pretty cool.

25-Oct-21
That is cool

25-Oct-21
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing, John.

25-Oct-21
Way neat!!

25-Oct-21
Wow, that really is cool and I had no idea they lived that long!

Bald eagles are very rare to see here in Southwestern PA but there seem to be more and more around. I had a rare treat of seeing a mature bird on a jobsite near Waynesburg, PA a few weeks ago.

Merica!

25-Oct-21
Wow i had no idea they live that long too. Pretty cool

25-Oct-21
Wow i had no idea they live that long too. Pretty cool

25-Oct-21
That bird doesn’t look a day over 21

25-Oct-21
Cool

25-Oct-21
Cool

25-Oct-21
Pretty impressive your lens could get the band numbers! That's a cool story. It would be cool to know where it was banded at and far it moved from the nesting grounds.

25-Oct-21
You will probably get a phone call shortly wanting to know how you read number. Very cool

25-Oct-21
JL it does say it was in banded in CO but not specifically where.

25-Oct-21
That's super cool! Thanks for sharing!

25-Oct-21
Habitat when reporting it ask how number was obtained. One was photographed alive. So that is very much info they wanted to know. I marked other and wrote in shot at night with spotlight. ;) J/K J/K

25-Oct-21
Amazing

25-Oct-21
Super cool!!!

25-Oct-21
Really cool!

Hopefully someone will get the video of the FBI coming in to arrest John in a few days for being a wise ass ;-)

25-Oct-21
John...anyway to follow up with them and get the specific nesting location.

25-Oct-21
Way cool!

25-Oct-21
JL Possibly but have you ever tried to get additional information from the government?

25-Oct-21

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Here is a picture of the band zoomed in on. I had to piece it together with a couple pictures to get full number. He flew of at one point then re-landed giving be a different angle.

25-Oct-21

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Lets try that again....I got some random picture I have never seen before. How does that happen???

It is amazing how much a clearer a picture is on bowsite looking at a computer vs a phone. Or maybe I should say how unclear a picture on bowsite is when looking at it on a cell phone.

25-Oct-21
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

25-Oct-21
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

25-Oct-21
Thanks.

25-Oct-21
Very cool thanks for sharing with us picture quality is unbelievable Lewis

25-Oct-21
Bowsite automatically reduces resolution on the mobile side more than when viewed on a computer.

25-Oct-21
That is very cool! I had a close encounter with one in MO two weekends ago and that I was very lucky, but this is so awesome!

25-Oct-21
Very cool pictures.

25-Oct-21
That one has a set of hooks on it for sure.

25-Oct-21
That's supper cool. Thanks for sharing.

25-Oct-21

JohnMC's embedded Photo
Before or RAW image from camera converted to Jpeg
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Before or RAW image from camera converted to Jpeg
I'll show you all the magic of shooting in RAW and processing a picture in light room. This is the same picture before and after running it through lightroom. I am not a fan of wildlife pictures with things in them such as this electric pole and line. But sometimes that what you get.

25-Oct-21

JohnMC's embedded Photo
After editing in Lightroom
JohnMC's embedded Photo
After editing in Lightroom

25-Oct-21
Thanks for posting the pictures and the information.

25-Oct-21
That’s really cool!

25-Oct-21
Really cool !

25-Oct-21
Thanks for sharing the pic and info on the eagle.

25-Oct-21
That is awesome. Thanks for sharing. Now every time i see an eagle ill be looking for bands.

25-Oct-21
Thanks for sharing

25-Oct-21
Empty wouldn’t they be cool on the lanyard of your Bald Eagle calls! ;)

25-Oct-21
Pretty neat. Raptors all being arbitrarily protected is poor management. Of course I grew up reading Elmer Keith books :^)

25-Oct-21
That's pretty cool.... John, you have a link to the Banding site?... Thanks...

That's funny Glunt, I too luved Elmer Keith...8^) Wonder if he kept any of the talons...8^) Better yet, would have made cool fletching had he bowhunted...8^)

25-Oct-21

JohnMC's Link
Zbone that is it:

25-Oct-21
Seems like it would be pretty rare for a random photographer to get a photo of a band that could be read on a live eagle. I'd bet that they were surprised to get it. Good work !.......Badbull

25-Oct-21
Thanks John...

25-Oct-21
Very cool thanks for sharing. I'm on the coast in va lots of bald eagles here. I drive a roll off trash container truck & am always at the landfill. Kinda sad to watch such a majestic bird fighting with buzzards & seagulls for food scraps.

26-Oct-21
I worked on a ranch in WY and a USFW gal was camped out studying a pair of bald eagles. I stopped by one day and she was sort of frustrated. She had been sitting in a blind she made on the river almost all day for a few days trying to get pics of them fishing. I let her know they had been eating on a road kill everyday.

26-Oct-21
You sure wouldnt want to get grabbed by those talons.... dang!!!

26-Oct-21
Pretty cool, I wonder what their expected longevity is...and or how long they can live? Would have expected less, I'll do the Google.

Edit: A. Typically in the wild probably between 20-30 years. Some eagles in captivity have lived up to 50 years, but in the wild they would not live as long.

26-Oct-21
Great picture and story, thanks for sharing.

26-Oct-21
That interesting stuff right there, Thanks for sharing

26-Oct-21
Incredible!! Thanks for sharing

Btw, I’ve got some deer’s teeth I need you to take some photos of

26-Oct-21
Matt I don't think you are going to age deer teeth from a photo. Maybe you can catch them as fawn and put a band on their legs and age them that way. ;)

26-Oct-21
That's pretty cool. I have a bunch of bands from geese, but very few from ducks, and I've never seen a banded eagle (or shot one). If you were a senior in 1998, you are a punk ass kid though. Just kidding, love the photos; thanks.

26-Oct-21
Ben I was senior in college. High school senior in 95’

26-Oct-21
Very cool!

26-Oct-21
I stand corrected, you said senior in college. Well done.

26-Oct-21
I heard they taste like chicken!

Very cool, John!

26-Oct-21
I like the younger bald eagles. They have better flavor and aren't as tough.

26-Oct-21
If I get audited by the IRS and they initiate a cavity search,,,,,,, you know what happened.

26-Oct-21
That is really cool. Quite a few eagles around where I live in the last 10 years or so. Fun to watch.

I got on a new duck lease this year with some guys that don't know me. They were shown a picture of an ostrich I killed this year and said something like "What do you do with an ostrich?"

I said "Tastes just like bald eagle." Then I had to some explaining so they didn't take that as a real statement :)

26-Oct-21
Just saw one flying over town on my way for lunch ;-)

26-Oct-21

JohnMC's embedded Photo
Bring a crappie back to the nest.
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Bring a crappie back to the nest.
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Bring back what I think was a gizzard shad back to next.
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Bring back what I think was a gizzard shad back to next.
We have got lots of eagles around here especially over the winter and into the spring. Including several pairs that nest. These pictures were at a nest with a trail that go next to it and they are use to people enough that you really can get some cool photos.

26-Oct-21
That is really cool! Never knew that they lived that long. We are fortunate in my area to be seeing eagles pretty regularly the last few years. I'll never forget the first time I saw one about 10 years ago, so majestic.

26-Oct-21
I never knew they could live that long. I have a tree stand that is 150 yds from a bald eagle nest. I saw three from my tree stand the other day, and then saw two other bald eagles sitting near another nesting site on my drive home. 5 in one day, very majestic looking birds.

26-Oct-21
You are quite the photographer. Wondering what you are going to show us next. These photos are very interesting.

26-Oct-21
Badbull I have got a great collection of nudes of myself I could post them up. Maybe with what the score theme??

I post up quite a few on Instagram don’t worry no nudes, you can see some there. john_cannonoutdoorphotos

27-Oct-21
Great pic and better story! Thanks for sharing

08-Nov-21

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Just got this in a email. Looks like eagle was banded near Elevenmile Canyon reservoir.

09-Nov-21
That's pretty cool John, thanks for sharing...

09-Nov-21
I think I'm most impressed by John's camera being able to pick up enough detail to read the numbers on the bands.

Let's see, 1998, I was 37 years old and in the thick of my career when this bird was a hatchling. That's way cool.

Matt

09-Nov-21
Really nest No idea they lived that long either

09-Nov-21
Super nice.

10-Nov-21
Really awesome photos/info.

But the most impressive thing is John finished College in 3 years!

10-Nov-21
Txhunter - 3 1/2 years but did a double major and worked about 30 hours a week. And found time to drink beer and chase a few college girls. Good times!

10-Nov-21
John, I sent you two more PM. Paul

11-Nov-21
Another quick update. Paul Navarre tracked down/stalked ;) the Liza who banned bird in 1998. She said she would like to see pictures, so I have emailed her. Kind of cool conclusion to story. Thanks Paul for finding her.

11-Nov-21
My pleasure John. So that eaglet was in the nest when banded in 1998, and that tree/nest was very near Spinney Mt Res. Good trout fishing for the eagles.

• Sitka Gear