jdee 20-Nov-21
Shuteye 20-Nov-21
Woods Walker 13-Oct-22
goyt 13-Oct-22
fletch 13-Oct-22
Buckdeer 13-Oct-22
drycreek 13-Oct-22
13-Nov-21
Hey all, wife and I are looking at a side by side purchase around the new year possibly.

Looking for a deer hauler, and one I can push snow with. Ideally will have a winch and can fit in the bed of my Tundra (not a deal breaker if I have to get a small trailer).

Not wanting to spend 15k+

Was looking at the Polaris Ranger 500, haven’t used one before and am new to this stuff so not sure what to look for.

Which sxs’s do you like?

13-Nov-21
When I bought my Ohio ground it came with a Kawasaki Mule. I wasn't impressed with the looks of it, but I really like it now. It's simple, small and reliable. Depending on your bed size it may fit. Doesn't use much fuel, has plenty of power for me, and I've had 600lbs in the dump bed and didn't even feel it. I don't know how well it will plow snow, never tried that. They're not fancy, and not expensive. Might want to check it out.

13-Nov-21
I have owned all the major Japanese machines;all have been good.Have purchased four new Yamahas and currently have a 2016 Viking and 2020 Kodiak.They have been very good ,I use them for personal and busines;never a problem.About 2,000 miles per year.

13-Nov-21

ND String Puller's embedded Photo
ND String Puller's embedded Photo
Seen this on FB marketplace this morning. Seemed like a good deal, plow, cab, heat, & power steering. Probably sell quick.

13-Nov-21
I have a Honda Pioneer 700. It works great for plowing and hauling deer. I didnt care for the polaris belt driven system and opted for shaft drive and dont regret it.

In the current market your budget may be very tough to achieve. Availability is slso an issue. Add in a winch and a plow and you most likely wont find one for your budget.

Currently i can get several thousand more for mine than i paid for it. A good friends wife runs one of the major powersports dealers here and prices are still going up and availability down.

Good luck in your search

13-Nov-21
Kawasaki mule pro fxt

13-Nov-21
Im in Idaho and they're selling for a premium right now, and new orders are being promised 6 to 8 months out. I've been looking as well, but low and behold, my father-in-law sold us his 800 Ranger for a sweet family discount!

Parts are hard to get also. Do your homework, and if you don't mind traveling a bit, you'll find a deal.

13-Nov-21

Bowhunter09's embedded Photo
Bowhunter09's embedded Photo
I looked all fall. Nothing available in my area. Found a John Deere gator 2019 with 200 miles on it for 11700.

13-Nov-21

Mitch's embedded Photo
Mitch's embedded Photo
I was in the same situation as you and went with a Pioneer 520. I wanted the shaft drive, especially with using it to plow. It will fit in a truck bed without the plow attached. Haven’t had any snow to deal with, but have used it around the farm and have been happy with it so far.

13-Nov-21

JEG's embedded Photo
JEG's embedded Photo
How about a mini truck? This is the one I just picked up.

13-Nov-21

13-Nov-21
Talk to your local atv mechanic that you trust. Ask the mechanic what he would buy with his own money. Mine told me he would be broke if he had to repair Honda Pioneers so that is what I bought. It has been a good machine.

13-Nov-21
If it doesn’t have either a Honda or Kawasaki engine in it I am not owning it. Same goes for any small engine I owns

13-Nov-21
Jeg is that thing steet legal?

13-Nov-21

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Anything but Polaris. I’m a Yamaha fan and it’s been a solid machine. 10 year belt warranty, 600 lbs. cargo box capacity, and 2000 lbs towing.

13-Nov-21
John it depends we’re you live with mini trucks. In Mn it’s up to the county and my county it isn’t really clear from what I understand I can drive on the HWY shoulder. I’m mainly gonna use it on our land and the surrounding gravel roads so not to worried about it.

13-Nov-21
I’ve got a mahindra roxor and you can’t beat it. Small like a side by side and tougher than a pickup. Things a beast. And in your price range.

14-Nov-21

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
These can be flat towed, go about anywhere and can be a spare vehicle for cheap :^)

14-Nov-21

lv2bohunt's embedded Photo
lv2bohunt's embedded Photo
One of these might be stretching your price range but it is a fantastic machine.

14-Nov-21
That’s the exact machine I have lv2bohunt. I have 7,300 miles on it and it still runs great.

14-Nov-21
My son was extremely hard on machines, the Honda Pioneer was the best he ever owned. One major manufacturer actually bought theirs back so they didn't have to honor the warranty in the first year.

14-Nov-21

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I like my RZR2

It should handle a deer too

Robb

14-Nov-21
Thought this was about shotguns! Kinda' wondered why it was still up!

15-Nov-21
This may not be popular, but I bought an Arctic Cat 550 new in late 2011 and am really hard on it and our place is really rough old strip mine terrain. It has been just incredibly reliable. Starts every time and never lets us down.

15-Nov-21
Don't buy a Can-Am. I bought one brand new for my wife to use around the property to haul hay and grain for the horses. We put about 90 miles on it in the first year and the fuel pump died. Neither the dealer or Can-Am customer services would do anything for me, plus they wanted $800 for a new fuel pump. I ordered a fuel pump online and replaced it myself for about $80. I promised both Can-Am and my local dealer that I would spread the word on their terrible customer service and product support every chance I get. Two years later, I'm still keeping my word.

15-Nov-21
Those that posted pictures without mentioning the brand/model, aren't very helpful. I believe that the only one of these that are mentioned, that have any possible chance of going into the back of a Tundra as the O.P. mentioned (my 2013 is 49.5 inches between wheel wells), is the Pioneer 520 which claims to be 50 inches wide. It would be a tight fit, but perhaps workable. Otherwise, you'd need to build a platform over the fender wells. The Polaris Ranger and the Mules appear to be much too wide to put in a truck. The ability to carry it in the back of my truck is the reason I have stayed with a quad, versus a S x S, since I often tow a pop-up trailer so can't tow an SUV at the same time. Thanks to those that have participated in this thread I see that there might be available options out there now.

15-Nov-21
Honda Pioneer 700. The only negative I have found of the design is the "bed" sits fairly high off the ground and it makes loading deer a bit hard but it is an awesome machine. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. One of my buddies used to run JD Gators on their properties,,,, they've replaced them all with Honda Pioneers now.

15-Nov-21
My next one's gonna be a Pioneer.

17-Nov-21
If it’s on a white tail property go Electric! Super quiet drive to your stands

17-Nov-21
I think my buddy got an Intimatater electric utv and really likes it Lewis

18-Nov-21

Korey Wolfe's embedded Photo
Korey Wolfe's embedded Photo
For the money? Geo or Chevy Track or even a Samurai can't be beat.

My opinion.

18-Nov-21
"Thought this was about shotguns!" LOL

Thank you Woods, I'm not so alone.

20-Nov-21
I have had the worst luck with polaris my 2007 ranger 700xp was a belt blowing son of a gun. The 2013 midsize ranger was so low to the ground we called it the road grader if it made it. The 2015 ranger prostar 900 was clutch problems and the final straw was the 2017 ranger 900 that had clutch problems and a banging noise under load climbing sounded like a pistol shot in the morning climbing hills. On the other hand my 2003 yamaha grizzly 660 Quad still running strong and never a problem. Hmmm some times I'm a slow learner.

20-Nov-21
Had a Polaris 500 ATV. Was an electronic / electrical nightmare. Had 1300 miles on it . Traded in on a Honda Pioneer 500, 2 years ago. Same width and much easier for my wife and I to use on our property and for bear hunts . So far so good . Only downside was it did not have a box on back for hauling things . I made a nice box for it . I see they came out with a 520 that has a box already .

20-Nov-21
My neighbor, on his ranch has two John Deere gators one with 11,000 miles and the other has 17,000 miles on it. They ranch in tough country and elk, deer hunt for hire all season with those two gators. After seeing what those two gators go through and how they stand up I’ve been very impressed.

20-Nov-21
I have a Gator 550 and love it. It is two wheel drive, four wheel drive and you can lock the rear. It will go just about anywhere in the woods and across streams. You can tilt the bed but still difficult for this old man to get a deer in the bed. A pully helps. I have had three deer in it at one time on a couple occasions.

13-Oct-22
I was going to say a Rigby, but I guess not! ;-)

13-Oct-22
I also have a Kawasaki Mule Pro. It was in your price range a few years ago but maybe not now. Great machine. Lots of power 1,300# payload with 1,000# in bed. I am very pleased to have it.

13-Oct-22
Teryx 2 here. haven't had to do a thing to it, i did buy a new battery just because its 6 or so years old. A little old school, but it goes anywhere the big dogs go.

13-Oct-22
See what dealer you have close.Never wire money to anyone selling a ATV or UTV or anything else until you double check them.I like my Polaris Mid size 570.It sits 3 instead of regular 570.Mines a couple years old but when I got it I noticed all the other new ones were scratched and then they said that every color but camo will show scratches easily.Another thing I did and don't know if still out there is I googled rebates for a couple months and found 250.00 off accessories and a 6 month warranty ext.A back window is as important as a front windshield and roof.Throw some led lights on and a winch,don't forget led lights shining towards bed are also handy.If working food plot I would get bigger than 570.

13-Oct-22
I have a CanAm, and I’ve had zero problems. It’s three years old and has been used plenty. I even use it to drag my food plots. I had a 2009 Ranger before that and my son still uses it. I’d buy the one I wanted and had a close, reputable dealer and not pay any attention to who had what that failed. Any machine can be a lemon and any dealer can be a turd.

• Sitka Gear