txhunter58 14-Nov-21
Sivart 14-Nov-21
txhunter58 14-Nov-21
Goat 16-Nov-21
Sivart 16-Nov-21
Mule Power 19-Nov-21
Willieboat 19-Nov-21
14-Nov-21
Can anyone confirm that this cooler will easily fit two bone in elk quarters?

14-Nov-21
Also, would someone be so kind to measure the actual height of the cooler? Want to make sure it will fit under my truckbed cover.

14-Nov-21

Grey Ghost's Link
According to Yeti's website, the 160 is 21-3/8" tall (see link). My 125 is 20" tall, and it barely fits under the tonneau cover on my Tundra.

2 cow elk hind quarters *may* fit, but I doubt a big bull would.

Matt

14-Nov-21
there are better coolers then Yeti and less $$$

14-Nov-21
Depends on how big the elk in question is

14-Nov-21
I haven't found a "better cooler" that has the dimensions that I need. I have an Rtic 145. Quarters barely fit. It's 34" long on the inside. Looking for a cooler thats around 36" long inside, and not over 22" high. (thats height of my truck bed.)

14-Nov-21
There are coolers for less money but not better. You may have to bone out the quarters.

14-Nov-21
Again, if anyone can confirm 2 quarters will fit in this model, let me know

14-Nov-21
We used a 160 on moose hunt, it fit a hind and shoulder in laid opposite each other. I also have a grizzly 175 and that had slightly more room.

14-Nov-21
If you are asking if it would hold 2, and only 2, REAR QUARTERS of an elk, it should. That might not absolutely work if you kill a really big bull, but it really isn’t that hard to bone out rear quarters. Once you try it you will see how easy it is.

Also, the problem with comparing between companies like Yeti and RTIC: Yeti measures the 160 qts on the outside of the cooler. RTIC measures inner capacity. So Yeti doesn’t hold 160 quarts

14-Nov-21
This is why I'm trying to find guys that have actually used them. I've found a lot of the measurements online aren't accurate.

14-Nov-21
So 95% chance it should work as you hope it will. If not, debone:

You don’t need a saw. Start by going at distal on the leg as you can and cut the tendons. Peel back, cut meat right against bone until you get back to the big knee joint.

Now starting at the the hip joint “ball” and on the INSIDE of the leg, cut down thru the muscle along the bone and then pull the bone toward you and cut around the back side of the bone. Keep repeating that method until you get to the knee joint and finish cutting meat away from the knee. After you have done it once, you can do a quarter in less than 5 min

Doing that you will def be able to fit them

16-Nov-21
Sivart I have 2 Yeti 160's. I can fit a front and rear quarter (bone in) along with a backstrap and neck meat in each. Essentially they will hold half an elk. Not room for a whole lot of ice but enough to get the job done. I can get you the measurements tonight if that is important. Last elk I had in there was a big 7x8 and it fit fine.

16-Nov-21
Goat, thank you. This is what I was looking for.

19-Nov-21
For what it’s worth I’ve been easily fitting a bone in front and hind plus backstraps into Igloo and Coleman 120s for years.

19-Nov-21
Mulepower x2

• Sitka Gear