Grey Ghost 19-Dec-21
KHNC 20-Dec-21
DeerNut 13-Jan-22
WYelkhunter 18-Jan-22
bigeasygator 18-Jan-22
11-Dec-21

Missouribreaks's Link

11-Dec-21
Yes, in all kinds of ways. Some good, some bad.

11-Dec-21
Let’s Go Brandon…

11-Dec-21
Let's go Brandon and all who voted for him.

11-Dec-21
Drive 2000 miles to hunt, getting 20 mpg. That's 100 gallons. An extra $2/gallon = $200. What did the out of state license and tags cost? That new dozen arrows? New release?

"Hunting esp if you’re going out of state is a disposable income endeavor." _Exactly._

11-Dec-21
I believe there is more than the cost of fuel. As one example, the cost of some new vehicles have increased by an average of over 30%.

11-Dec-21
"Brandon" merely takes orders.

11-Dec-21
Wouldn't know, haven't bought 'new' since 1986. If you just got to have a new $80,000 truck, don't piss and moan about fuel cost.

Back when I traveled more I drove a 12 mpg full-size gas pig, and drove 400 miles 4-5 weekends during hunting season on VT. Would regularly burn 10 gallons every Sunday morning to go fishing. Cost of gas never slowed me down. But you can bet the truck was second-hand.

(And yeah, I get that used trucks are priced high these days. Looking to replace my '07 with 197000 miles on it...)

11-Dec-21
Effects everything. Not just hunting costs, spending more at home means less for out of state hunting. Fuel goes up EVERYTHING goes up. Food, everything. Shipping is insane right now. Not increases of 5 and 10%.... Some cases 200%. It's not just this cost and that cost goes up, it's compounded, one thing on top of another that goes on top of another. Sucks, mostly because it didn't have to be that way nor get that bad. Like telling a kid not to play with something, quit messing around, you're gonna drop it and break it.... and he says "naaaw it's be fine, I'm having fun! (and me and my rich buddies are getting richer....)" People were warned. People didn't care. Pump me some more of that free money for..... doing nothing. Not a damn thing.

Watched Biden's female Chucky sneer and mock reporters for being upset "they weren't going to get their treadmill in time for Christmas" or some such. This is the glaring disconnect, this is the snide lie. A self centered myopic person might see it like that, but while you will certainty survive a bit of minor disappointment in your life..... the person selling treadmills loses his business, his home, maybe his family. Good job. Lets Go Brandon.

But they know this. It's baseline evil. They. Don't. Care. Literally if it hurts the country it furthers their plans. People will not accept what they want and have planned if things are going great. Only if the country is burning down around you will you accept what they push. "You will own nothing, you will have nothing. And you will like it." Word for word.... surprisingly not a direct Orwell quote....

11-Dec-21
You have to wonder about those who voted for, and continue to support this agenda?

11-Dec-21
Seriously DanaC gas averaged 93 cents a gallon in 1986. With inflation that's about $1.60 in today's money and most are currently paying around 3 dollars or more a gallon. Guess you'd have been driving half as much or working more to pay for gas either way less hunting.

11-Dec-21
Scoped Crossbow's are through the roof.

11-Dec-21
Just sold my last truck: a 2001 with 248,000 miles on it. Driving a 2016 now. So I drive them until the wheels fall off. However, I HATE to pay $4 for anything , when it should cost $2.

Just like a Democrat to scoff at people who can be finally priced out of something. There IS a final straw on costs where people just have to say: can’t do it. It’s not the $200, it’s just the final straw. They aren’t all guys who drive fancy new trucks.

Being able to enjoy an out of state hunt is certainly from discretionary funds. But normal guys used to be able to swing it. But between high tag costs, and gas and other cost of living increases, ect, many of those guys have been priced out of that great experience. But hey, I can still afford it, so who cares about those guys.

And just in case you wonder: “Is Tx one of those guys who can’t afford to any more? NOPE! I am fixing to retire with more than ample discretionary funds to hunt and fish anytime I want to. But I have friends that have come to that final straw.

11-Dec-21
Charlie, that was a good one! Thought bou would have said something like that.

11-Dec-21
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

11-Dec-21
Charlie, if there was a “Like” button on this forum I would have clicked it on your post! Lol

11-Dec-21
" Scoped crossbows are through the roof "

That is because of demand by former bow and arrow hunters, not so much because of inflation taxes.

11-Dec-21

DanaC's Link
"However, I HATE to pay $4 for anything , when it should cost $2. "

The idea that gas 'should' cost $2 a gallon is mistaken. The market sets the price and right now there are a ton of factors involved. The idea that it's because of one man is silly.

Seems to me that partisans on both sides like to use the President as a punching bag for the state of the economy, but it ain't that simple. (And yeah, I still despise Trump, but that's not an *economic* position.)

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-are-gas-prices-so-high-right-now-3-reasons-2021-10

11-Dec-21
Cuz your a gun hunter at your core.

11-Dec-21

DanaC's Link
Or look at prices from the viewpoint of the retailers -

11-Dec-21
Inflation does not discriminate- it affects everyone and everything.

11-Dec-21
The impact will take some time to "catch up". By Sept of next year, the impact will be realized.

11-Dec-21
It's a mess but I don't blame Biden. He is basically a place-holder that's signs stuff and reads the teleprompter (the latter duty is getting harder). The people behind the scenes are to blame. It's a massive issue that has to do with market confidence, Covid shutdowns, creating/spending money we don't have, local & worldwide security concerns, and a lack of positivity on a hundred fronts.

11-Dec-21
The CPI is real gimmick in calculation. Like grading on a curve.

The inflationary effects will gain strength exponentially as we go forward.

The Feds so far behind now i dont think they could taper QE or buy back enough bonds to effect it. This was done purposely. So, whats the fix? Raise rates by a few points and drive folks out off Wall St? Do that and Dems cant say “look at the markets” for mid terms.

Either way the folks in middle America are really going to feel it. No different now, at this point in time than putting a 15% tax on everything, your pay, durable goods, large end items….Everything. Could have been avoided if we had solid folks running Fed and Treasury but we have ideologues. Both Yellen and Powell are one world appeasers. None of their actions will affect these elite wealthy Democrats. They can effect great change buy effecting radical monetary policy and they are.

11-Dec-21
"None of their actions will affect these elite wealthy Democrats."

But I suppose wealthy elite Republicans will be massively inconvenienced? Will Trump have to order from the McDonalds dollar menu? LMAO!!!

11-Dec-21
Quite a few outdoor loving folks work in the oil patch, like myself. I know quite a few that are planning hunts and equipment purchases that were not able to the past couple of years due to the sector being down. Wages are up, unemployment is near record lows, and in many ways, the inflation is a sign of a hot economy. It’s not all doom and gloom.

11-Dec-21
That doesn't feel like rain on my back.

12-Dec-21
So let's look at it from a lower class perspective & food. I'd imagine a freezer full of venison is awful appealing to someone living on mac & cheese hotdogs & oodles of noodles. But on the other hand hunting has become expensive. If this extreme inflation rate continues could there be a repeat of the decimation of the deer herd like during the Great depression ??? Lots more deer now. Mostly all private land now. Game management in effect now. But the thought is interesting.

12-Dec-21
Doubt the herds will be decimated because food is needed, but I support those who need to kill a few extra to keep mouths fed.

12-Dec-21
I don’t know who Chris Hayes is and they aren’t Dem talking points, they are economic realities. As far as people not wanting to work and US productivity being low, the numbers don’t back that up either. Workforce participation is very close to pre-pandemic levels, unemployment is inching towards sub 4%, and we are starting to see gains in productivity and the subsequent increase in wages that accompany it (given the tightness in the labor market, I expect wages and productivity growth to continue to increase as well). We can talk about monetary policy too and how that has contributed to the issue, which is also part of the equation.

Back to the hunting piece, I imagine that more people will be substituting game meat for other proteins to save some dollars which is not a bad thing from a hunter recruitment and participation perspective as well.

12-Dec-21
Ok, $2 is a stretch, but I didn’t say Biden is to blame for $4 gas. That said, from closing pipelines down to other democrat policies, gas is higher than not has to be. And I admit that Trump is an a$$h0le, but I have little doubt gas would be lower in price and the economy would be in better shape without a democrat at the top.

But either way, that doesn’t change the fact that you can’t relate to those who have been priced out.

12-Dec-21
Big easy the oil patch in Oklahoma has laid off many people and most have taken pay cuts or at the least no raises or bonuses.

12-Dec-21
Will the price hikes keep enough hunters home that there will be leftover javi tags in southern Arizona come January?

12-Dec-21
Inflation never impacted my hunting back in the Carter/Reagan era, just adjusted to it by doing less with somethings so I can do more with the hunt, priority, had to take on extra jobs to do it. What is the downfall of hunting is the unrestricted technology and the decrease of hunting access that wasn't much of a problem in the past. Glad that I got to enjoy the golden yrs while going into the twilight of life. Feel bad for the youth that have the desire but lack of opportunity that were not born into wealth and land. As far as Biden administration, the ones that voted for him are the cause what is going on, The Road to Serfdom by Friedrich Hayek put this in more perspective. Enjoy the hunt.

12-Dec-21
The entire global economy was basically shut down for several months. Workers were paid trillions of dollars by their governments to stay home, and they haven't been willing to go back to work since. Meanwhile, consumers have a lot of pent up demand that producers can't supply due to the labor shortage, hence consumer product prices inflate. I think it's rather ignorant to blame the state of our economy on one person, or administration. But then, people have always thought US presidents have more influence on the economy than they really do, IMO.

Matt

12-Dec-21
LINK, that’s been happening for the last four years in the oil patch. I can assure you producers are much better off and job security is much higher now than it’s been over the last four years. I saw Devon energy is handing out $10K in bonuses to all their staff and Hilcorp just announced $75K payouts for all their employees. This is a far cry from the last four years. For context, I’d estimate that from 2016 through 2020 we laid off 50% of our department.

12-Dec-21
Spot on, Matt.

12-Dec-21
But of course that never stopped the anti Trump douche bags from blaming him for literally everything that they perceived was wrong with our country when he was in office. Its a simple fact their jerk is the current office occupier, so they and you will defend anything he does. Everything is a grey area when their(your) guy and party is in power. Its the nuances stupid.

12-Dec-21
BEG

When world oil prices dropped to less than zero a barrel what do you think would occur?

The President monetary is directly reflective of his policy issues. He picks treasury Fed chair people.

Low oil prices spur productivity in all markets. Just a fact. High oil prices make me plenty of money but i dont like it. I have low volume oil pumping investment that dont produce much profit until price spikes. I still think it hurts the US productivity potential.

So, with analogies like this you would prefer a 6$/gal because you will do well? Well that’s an original thought. No different from the elites who dont care a wit about massive inflation. As they can afford it.

This is what occurs when you have montary policy from 2008-2016 whereby the Fed pumped an average of 70 billion dollars a month of QE into our domestic economy.

The Fed has been saying for a year now they would raise rates and have not done it. They will not as the the only thing Dems have is a strong market and they wont risk that for 2022 elections. We will all feel the pain of this fact.

With markets heavily over valued they can not risk a pull out in these markets. Then, then third leg would be pulled out from the stool. These are basic facts and understanding of economic principals.

While you cheer for you guys the elites are are crushing it and the Avg guy is getting crushed by it. This when the old adage “ guys vote their wallet” is an apt statement.

BEG you vote your wallet because extreme high price of Texas Intermediate while 85% of the nation struggles to buy bacon at $10/lb. We’ll see how that works for you come November next year. I find your reasoning well of center. There could be only four guys here on BS that could be so short sighted!

12-Dec-21
Oil prices below zero was a blip and a short term anomaly - the longer term trend is what has governed labor in the sector, and it hasn’t been pretty since late 2015 or so. The recent run up of oil prices is, in fact, a great microcosm for what’s happening with the broader economy. Supply has been tight due to a multitude of factors - pandemic, energy transition and societal pressures, and capital discipline due to the fact so many producers were burned during the last couple of price crashes. Demand is heating up thanks to a recovering economy, higher wages, more travel, etc. Put it together, and voilà, higher oil prices. Look sector by sector and there are similar stories.

Look at earnings. Look at the labor market. Look at wages. Look at GDP. With what is happening on both the supply side and the demand side, it’s no surprise we are seeing the price movements that we are. While it means we are shelling out more, the forces that are pushing prices higher are generally positive. Will they be perceived as positive from a political perspective? Probably not, and so be it. The economy is going to do its thing largely independent of who is in power.

12-Dec-21
Shawn Magyar (aka: Singlestring this go around)

Let me get this straight. You've bragged about making a killing on the stock markets during the pandemic. You've claimed your investments have allowed you to buy 2 new farms, and set your grand children up for life, financially. Now, you claim you "don't like it" when your oil investments do well, and you sympathize with the "avg guy" who is getting "crushed" by the same things you've capitalized on? You're a hypocrite, liar, and fraud, IMO.

Matt

12-Dec-21
BEG Disagree , read last.

We had a great Fed Chair for 30yrs. He lead us out of the dark days of Jimmy. His great leadership based on great Administration’s policy lead us thru ending cold war and out of massive inflation. If i recall it beat the Arabs trying to hijack us on oil.

If we had that today it would end in same result. We dont have that leadership and the bench is poorly suited.

Shaping monetary policy is not easy but getting it right over your biased points of turning and shaping it in a alternate direction at the top is like fighting with an arm cut off.

As you dont dispute my assessment i will assume you agree with the facts i have put forth. As to who hets what from whom in at the ground level in US oil production i will accept your statements.

I do know a little of this, my good hunt buddy has been a worldwide start up Engineer for Exxon for 40yrs.

12-Dec-21
If a person hunts with last years bow, instead of dropping $2,000. on a new release Hoyt (that they haven't even put hands on yet) that should cover their increase of expenses for the out of state hunt.

12-Dec-21
Some of the uptick in wages is from legislation relative to minimum and state wages. It's not all attributed to a boiling economy. As companies (firms) are forced to pay higher wages, price goes up on products, or, you lay people off. For those who are not experiencing a wage increase, buying goes down.

Regardless, the purchasing power of the dollar has decreased...

12-Dec-21
Have had my low volume investments for 25yrs.

I worked in dirt my entire life. You are very clearly a herd animal Matthew. What ive done as a dirt soljah to get where i am today is the American success story.

Attacking me for your herd mentality will not make up for your dusty life of follow in drag.

Covid really enabled me to extend my life situation. Retied at 44 , privateered with a rifle for a few years after that. Then, the greatest opportunity in 100yrs was presented to anyone who could rub a few brain cels together. Took my chance and it worked out. Took some liquidity and under Joe bought some real estate, sold some, paid my taxes and moved on.

Dont go thru the rest of your life bitter. Gravel is cheap! Just brought in 6ea 20 ton loads brought in and spead on my new place. Need pics?

Anything to add constructively to these Monetary points prescribed here to forth?

12-Dec-21
….

12-Dec-21
The simple truth is the US president has a limited ability to influence global economics. Other than perhaps domestic gas prices, my sense is most are giving Biden too much blame for current inflationary pressure. From my perspective it is a predictable outcome following the constrained supply chain due to the global pandemic and demand recovering more quickly than production.

This reminds me a bit of the economic recovery that happened when Obama was in office. To this day democrats credit him for it, but it was going to happen regardless of who was in office. If anything, the recovery likely would have been faster if we had a more business-friendly president in office.

13-Dec-21
Matt, I disagree. Biden's policies are inflationary. Giving free money to people not working plus his infrastructure and BBB plan. Trump was throwing out free money as well. I don't put it all on Biden but he's throwing gas on the fire. And wages always lag inflation so the very people the Dems say they always want to help, are worse off than under Trump.

Don't forget that hunting licenses might go up in price as well. Wildlife agencies aren't immune from inflation. They will need more $ as well.

13-Dec-21

Singlestring's embedded Photo
He did not there following the herd Matthew
Singlestring's embedded Photo
He did not there following the herd Matthew

13-Dec-21
It is odd how extremely high inflation is a sign of a strong robust economy all of a sudden. I have never heard of this in my 42 years until very very recently.

The amount of inflation and how long it is lasting keeps catching the experts off gaurd.

I also keep hearing plenty of economist and financial experts talking about how many of the items used to measure inflation have been removed as metrics over the decades to calculate the year over year inflation. The number of 6.8 percent released Friday was very very high. I have heard several people claim if it was calculated the same way as it was 40,50,60 years ago, it would have been 15 percent.

Either way something feels pretty off when we are told inflation is under control and not going to be an issue, and it will be very short term and work itself out rapidly. Then the facts point to that being false, and now the narrative of high inflation is all of a sudden a positive indicator is being spread around all over the place.

Lots of things in this economy smell fishy to me.

I have dialed back any out of state hunting trips last year, this year, and the foreseeable future. I can have quite a bit of fun elk hunting Oregon, and if they ever reopen where I like to black tail deer hunt after the huge fires of 2020 in the cascades.

I have a 17 month old daughter, and the funds that used to go to extra hunting trips are being used for family vacations. My wife her and I relay enjoy traveling and doing hiking trips.

So not reducing spending, just shifting it.

My income varies monthly. I want to take advantage of the good times and pay off debt. Just need 3-5 years and to pay off all personal debt including personal home and investment property.

Personally I feel like this economy is like a stool with 3 shaky legs. It seems like one of them will break loose soon. If I’m wrong I’ll have paid all my debt off and then have the freedom to do anything. If I’m right the down turn won’t hurt me too much, and I’ll probably be able to capitalize on investments dip.

After I’m debt free I’ll resume out of state extra hunting trips.

13-Dec-21
12yards, while I agree with a number of your points my comment referenced the *global* economy. Inflation is high across the globe, and I don't think it is Biden's policies which are causing that.

Bowhunt, I personally do not think that inflation is a positive indicator for the economy and have not seen where anyone credible has claimed that. It is certainly a byproduct of a strengthening economy with a still-impaired supply chain, but not a positive economic indicator per se.

Just food for thought, but paying off cheap debt in an inflationary period may not be a good financial decision. If you are only paying 3% on money and the dollar is essentially devaluing faster than that due to the rate of inflation, it may make sense to take today dollars and invest them in equities (inflation hedge of sorts) and then use future dollars that are worth less to repay that debt. There is a qualitative value to becoming debt-free which I appreciate, but in terms of building long-terms wealth I think this a uniquely bad time to employ that strategy.

13-Dec-21
Are you suggesting that legislation that has not yet been passed has contributed to the inflation we have experienced?

13-Dec-21
Great Points Matt, and very valid.

I have had a couple times where my financial situation crumbled before my eyes basically over night, not due to anything in my control. Once when I was 20 and purchased my first home. Within weeks the company I worked for basically went broke, and I had to take a huge pay cut. This created financial situation that was extremely hard to make it through for around 4 years. In 2006 I started using the idea of cheap money you spoke of to develop some different real estate. Next thing you know the whole financial system melted down and real estate prices plummeted. These two very hard experiences have made me fairly cautious about getting over leveraged. It does feel stupid paying extra on a loans at 2.6 percent interest, but after lots of thought and number crunching it is a good idea for me.

I think about my finances a lot, and have gone back and forth on my plan. Everyone’s situation has tons of unique factors, and in my scenario paying off debt is good for me. I wasn’t meaning to imply that was the only option or that I can predict what will happen. I was just explaining how the inflation and broader economy was affecting my personal hunting plans

13-Dec-21
Shutting down pipelines and canceling oil leases (all the while green lighting Russian pipelines so spare me any environmental defense) have effects. Bare minimum effects on perceptions and investment confidence. Making oil cheaper to transport and easier to find brings down it's cost. Who'da thunk.

There are LOTS of things a president can do, if nothing else just stop being openly hostile to the sector... but they need to be done BEFORE things are already where they are. Foundational proactive things, not flipping a switch where there is none. This administration acts on nothing until it's too late and in full blown crisis/disaster mode. First chapter in their playbook is "Taking advantage of crisis to push your agenda" Chapter Two is "Creating Crisis". Funny we were a net EXPORTER of oil under Trump. Now we are on our knees to OPEC. Where did I see this before???

This administration came out of the gate as openly IN FAVOR of rising fuel and energy prices. Openly stated it was necessary so to "facilitate the move to electric cars and renewable energy" as Obama said.... "energy prices must NECESSARILY skyrocket". Necessarily because nothing else is competitive on a level field, it's not even close. So you artificially prop one up and drag the other down to level it. Now that people are pizzed and the polls turn the rivers red.... they claim it's not their fault, nothing we can do but beg OPEC and pump out our strategic reserves. Huh. Guess they could be right about one thing... there is one born every minute.

Inflation plus oil prices are compound multipliers, their prices literally go hand in hand as energy touches everything. Dumping piles of money (40% of all dollars "printed" in just the last year? wow) at the issue is just throwing gas on the fire... so to speak. As banks and mega corps have had unfettered access to what is essentially "free" money and used it to buy up real estate? I believe these are fixed rate loans.... they would profit greatly from inflation. As the common man pays dearly for it.

A side note as to what is in store, among things that government very much has control of..... CA just essentially made generators illegal in 2024. Just two years from now. As well as gas chainsaws, weedeaters, etc. A state that can't produce enough electricity right now..... rolling blackouts, etc. a grid pretty much maxed out.... making the unit you need to use in their self created emergencies (as well as independence off grid) illegal to buy. And touting the system they can't keep up with now as the answer. All the while China builds our batteries and solar panels...... naw.... no connection there.... but it is amazing how cheaply you can buy American politicians. I think it costs em more to buy NBA players....

As the Critical Drinker says.... "naaa, it'll be fine...."

13-Dec-21
"Now we are on our knees to OPEC."

Nonsense. We still import far more oil from Canada than we do from OPEC, 52% versus 11% respectively in 2020. And there are on-going expansions of existing lines from Canada that will provide more capacity than the cancelled pipeline would have provided.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=727&t=6

Furthermore, the first time the US was a net exporter of oil and petroleum products since 2011 was in 2020. 2021 marks only the second year the US has been a net exporter in the first half of the year. I'm not sure how you are concluding we are at the mercy of OPEC.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=49596

But, hey, if spouting misinformation is your thing, fire away. You do it quite eloquently.

Matt

13-Dec-21
That's Oil sands Oil. They have the most of this Sour Crude in world 175 Billion barrels at last estimate. Full of sulpher and heavy metals. In fact I think its highest in world and take the most refining. Nothing like Sweet.

If yer a Woke Democrat , the first thing after dumping coal will be to dump Bitumen Oil Sand Oil. You can be sure they will get to it as that stuff has Beau Coup carbon in it.

Then, you have a Canada that will be running for the US border too! Dem's will jump on that train as they’re already Socialists. Dems will take them as Oil Sand refugees and court them as potential new voter base.

13-Dec-21
Shutting down pipelines? How do you turn off a pipeline that was never built?

13-Dec-21
You really need to finish skewl.

We been piping C Stan oil for decades. Goes right to Illinois and Texas.

Not sure what your speaking too? XL?

XL with be finished or a new one to BC will be built for the Chinese. XL would be finished throgh Dakota’s much faster however.

13-Dec-21
“You really need to finish skewl.“

Oooooooooh the irony…LMAO.

13-Dec-21

TD's Link

13-Dec-21
The oil being slated for the Keystone is now just being delivered by rail. Cancelling the pipeline has done next to nothing with respect to changing the oil supply equation and permitting on federal lands has been essentially unchanged. While clearly not hydrocarbon friendly, this administration isn’t the reason oil prices are what they are.

13-Dec-21

TD's Link
And from this bastion of right wingers.......

Pipeline would greatly reduce oil shipping costs. That in turn reduces prices. Greenies don't want pipeline even if studies show it greatly reduces the chance of spills.

13-Dec-21

TD's Link
Aren't they holding up AK deals as well? NM leases too?

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/bidens-pause-oil-big-concern-mexico-75436359

14-Dec-21
Pipeline would greatly reduce oil shipping costs. That in turn reduces prices.

Likely not. It would improve producers margins, not lower costs. Producers and shippers do not decide what price they get to sell their oil for. That’s done on the open market.

14-Dec-21
Bowhunt, I can relate directly to your financial way of thinking. I went from milking cows in 2002 to framing houses and then in 2003 already started my own house building business (here in Mn it was booming) and built 22 new homes from start to finish. Competition was pretty fierce and cut throat for a sale but prices were profitable. I had on “elephant house “ where a couple bought too much while I built and couldn’t afford it so I had to basically remodel some of the inside and then finish the driveway and yard that was there deal for after the sale, all of which the down payment didn’t go far. In 2007 I had 1 house left and something made up my mind to back off and get out…wasn’t totally out and that house didn’t sell until 2008 to myself. With a personal mortgage on my own home, I bought the house personally to rid of the construction loan expense and salvage my credit. Paid 2 mortgages for about 9 months all while working other construction. Took over a year to start feeling a sense of recovery from that which I’m grateful for since there were A LOT of contractors who didn’t survive a month after the crash. My point is that you have to do what is comfortable for you with finances and it’s hard to get confidence back from being almost rock bottom. I’ve been slowly climbing in financial comfort and have done pretty well for my family and self but it’s always in the back of my mind as to have a good cushion for another time like that should come. I’ve focused extra money towards a 2.5 percent mortgage as well but wonder if it’s time to start paying the payment amount until we see what happens next.

This year was stellar for me and was going to expand my equipment inventory but things are more expensive fast (bobcats and Trimble instruments) and availability is months away. I have a hard time buying anything of big money because of the lessons learned in ‘07-‘08. Now I travel the Midwest doing custom jobs with a machine and can’t get a grip on any truth to the low unemployment rate. I see crews from 4 guys to 30 guys daily and they all could use more help. Some guys are there to put time in until layoff (I’m blown away by some who comment on the past winter off and how they didn’t want to come back from all the extra unemployment benefits) my blood pressure boils!!!! Especially when they wish it would come back for this unemployment season. I’ve never been laid off or drawn unemployment ever. I get it’s there for some people but way too many take advantage of it! I see guys on construction crews one day and then 2 weeks later I go to another crew and there’s a guy from 2 weeks ago, he told me it was better pay by a $1/hr. There’s big lack of loyalty nowadays as well. The best one I saw this summer was a crew of an owner, foreman and 4 (3 new hires) finishers and laborers on a Monday morning. Same company called 2 weeks later and go there and see 2 new guys. 2 of the previous 3 quit last week and the 3rd didn’t show up that day. People are always complaining that they need to pay their bills and even tell owners what they need to pay their bills like it’s there problem. Stupid floating in the air every where but the media doesn’t talk openly about that, or obesity, or heart disease. Just Covid and how great things are going. Every where you go there’s places hiring, every where, in all industries here. It wasn’t so 2 years ago so where did all the people go? Restaurant and bars are open Thursday afternoon until Saturday night because of staff shortages. Shelves are empty because of item shortage but also some signs up saying they don’t have adequate help to stock the shelves. Prices are getting insane at way too fast of a pace for me to think that anything going on right now is good. “All good things come to an end “ I hope not but I’m not blind to it like a lot of people are. My 2 cents…hang on to some funds and pay the bills you signed up for but be careful about giving more than the agreed amount and always supply the slush fund for hunting!

14-Dec-21

DanaC's Link
" Producers and shippers do not decide what price they get to sell their oil for. That’s done on the open market. "

Umm, not exactly

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/economics/08/determining-oil-prices.asp

14-Dec-21
In other news, the demand for Ford's new electric 'Lightning' full-size pick-up is so high they've stopped taking reservations for them.

14-Dec-21
Agree, we do not need more tankers on the road.

14-Dec-21
So this may be a dumb question, but why are we hauling dirty crude all over to refine it here? Why isn't Canada refining their own sh*? Who disposes of the leftover garbage after we refine it? Sounds like we're keeping Canada pristine while fouling our own nest...

14-Dec-21
Umm, not exactly

You just posted a link to an article that said exactly what I said. Exxon, Chevron, Chesapeake, Enbridge, Williams, and every other upstream and midstream company in the oil sector do not get to decide what price their products sell for. They are commodities, and their price is set by the market, not by them. So to argue the point that lowering the shipping cost of oil would lower the price of oil is likely not true. It *could* improve margins so that these companies make more money (which may or may not have an effect on supply).

While I am sure there are other factors that mitigate the cost differential to bolster your statement, I find it difficult to believe that the basis cost to the system would not be greatly decreased by the use of the XL vs trucking that same amount of crude.

It’s actually a bit more nuanced than that. Pipelines require large up front capital investments whereas rail and trucking do not. Pipelines also lock you into specific markets, whereas rail and trucking do not. Many companies are foregoing the use of pipelines for these reasons. Rail and trucking provide much greater flexibility from a market and contractual perspective with lower up front costs at a trade off of higher operating costs. It’s not as simple as “pipelines would lower cost.” And yes, the funny thing is that rail and trucking - which is what gets substituted for pipelines - comes with a much higher environmental cost as well - something the anti-pipeline people seem to not understand.

14-Dec-21
Shawn, do you have any useful Intel on the chip shortage?

14-Dec-21
So I'm curious. Do any of Biden's anti fossil fuel policies effect supply? I mean, is OPEC taking advantage of shackled US output by refusing to pump more thereby not increasing supply when demand is increasing so they can make more money on the same amount of oil?

14-Dec-21
Other than good.

14-Dec-21
I recall paying over $4/gal for gas under both team’s administrations in the past. This is just normal economics as usual to me.

Matt

14-Dec-21
When was it $4/gal under Trump?

14-Dec-21
Didn’t say it was, Orion. But there was life before Trump, as strange as that may seem to you.

Matt.

14-Dec-21
Luckily I’ve only paid over $4 per gallons under one administration in my lifetime. Bought my self a brand new dodge diesel crew cab in 2006, my dream truck. I think it was in late 2009 diesel was well over $5 per gallon. I was spending $600-$700 per month on fuel. Between that, and other maintenance stuff like ball joints and tires about to be ready for replacement I got rid of it that year.

Sold it for $25500 with 42000 miles, which was a lot for that rig at the time.

If I would have just parked it in a garage it would probably sell for almost $40,000 in a heartbeat today! :(

14-Dec-21
Paid $1.79 a gal for diesel last two years under Trump. Given our capacity to produce oil/gas there is no reason for fuel costs what they are today. The federal leaders of the country seriously need to be term limited and our current president/vp just ride off into the sunset.

14-Dec-21
I wouldn't call 8 years of obama life...

14-Dec-21
Obama enjoyed blaming his $4 gas on the financial crises. I’m not sure what Bush’s excuse was. The point being is we’ve been here before and survived, as we will this go around. Relative to other consumer products, gas is cheap, even today.

Matt

14-Dec-21
Gas wasn't $4/gallon under Bush either.

14-Dec-21
If you are low income, inflation is horrible for you. If you are wealthy with assets it’s mostly good for you. So it’s a huge negative affect if you are a low income hunter for all you liberals out there who pretend to be a champion of the poor. Like ole Biden.

15-Dec-21
Mike X2.

Stuff happens, and yeah we will "survive" if survival means you're still living and breathing. But when that "stuff" is literally CREATED to do this, then it gets personal. Very personal. And when folks finally get mad about what is being done to them.... suddenly the administration steps back trows their hands in the air and "hey hey hey... It's not our fault!" Then lay down a couple TDS cards becasue they are about out of racist cards. Next it's "there's nothing anyone can do". BS. When called on that.... finally threw in "you commoners just don't understand....." and always followed by "it's all for your own good."

Like Capt America said.... "Kinda FEELS personal....."

15-Dec-21

Matt's Link
Lots of ways to slice and dice gas price data and I know very little of the nuances around that market, but per the linked article the inflation-adjusted high point was in mid-2008.

15-Dec-21
"Gas wasn't $4/gallon under Bush either."

I guess it's true about your memory being the first to go. Or, is it just partisan denial? See Matt's link.

Matt

15-Dec-21
https://www.creditdonkey.com/gas-price-history.html It looks like it wasn't. Bush was also the last president that gas was under $2/gal as a national average.

15-Dec-21
Those aren’t inflation adjusted prices, Orion.

15-Dec-21
Hey Grey Ghost, your not reading the link correctly.

“ Note: Current dollars refers to the actual price at a given time. Constant dollars are adjusted for inflation, relative to October 2021. Sources: U.S. Energy Information Administration (prices); Bureau of Labor”

The link clearly shows average gas price was only over $4 per gallon for a very short period at the end of 2008.

The gray line is the average cost of gas across each year.

15-Dec-21
It's good to hear that there are some who don't seem to mind the rapid rate of inflation. I guess they are happy with it since they got what they voted for.

15-Dec-21
Inflation can happen for a few reasons. The worse is printing money without an increase in output.

Another is a shortage of supply causing an increase in price (Econ 101). This isn't nearly as bad because it signals an increase in employment opportunities to increase output. Increased employment is an increase in spending, circulating money in the economic engine.

15-Dec-21
Gas is not cheap today. I don't care how you justify it Matt. It's a burden to lower middle to lower class folks who the Dems love to say they are so worried about all the time. And it will lead to even higher inflation of everything else as the cost to produce and ship stuff increases.

15-Dec-21
"Hey Grey Ghost, your not reading the link correctly."

Umm, yes I read the link correctly. Orion claimed that gas was never over $4 under Bush, when it clearly was. I never put a time frame on it. Matt's link also clearly states that gas was over $5/gal in June of 2008 in today's dollars (adjusted for inflation).

But, hey, don't let facts stop your hand-wringing and doom and gloom attitude.

Matt

15-Dec-21
If things are so great right not, why have i watched the stock market and my mutual funds drop 5 damn days in a row? That hasnt happened since the covid shut down bs in early 2020. On track for 6 days in a row today looks like.

15-Dec-21
Grey ghost for the win!

No doom and gloom from me

I was just thinking of all the Obama 2008 signs and bumper stickers, but he wasn’t the president until 2009.

You are correct!

Crawling back into my hole now:)

15-Dec-21
"If things are so great right not, why have i watched the stock market and my mutual funds drop 5 damn days in a row? "

Which stock market are you talking about? The S&P was near all-time highs 3 trading days ago and it has more than doubled since the Covid crash lows. Sounds like you need to find some different mutual funds.

That said, I fully expect a correction in the near future. But then, I've been predicting that for months and they've just continued to climb. I've left a lot of money on the table when I went to about 35% cash last summer. At least I'll have fresh powder to buy the dip if/when it happens.

Matt

15-Dec-21
that "near all time high" was last week. Mutual funds also jumped every day during that time. The dow, nyse and s&p have done nothing positive since last Wednesday and MANY stocks have had a 5 day decline in mutual funds. I guess you have the unicorn fund that never decreases. I know that shit has climbed since covid drop. I was stating that a 5 day decline on my funds hasnt happened since then. Still up overall but im not in the business of watching prior gains disappear. Are you? If so, feel free to send me a few of your paychecks if you dont need them.

15-Dec-21
A few days or weeks proves nothing. In spite of the past week I'm well ahead for this year, does that prove that Biden is an economic genius? Unlikely!

15-Dec-21
If things are so great right not, why have i watched the stock market and my mutual funds drop 5 damn days in a row? That hasnt happened since the covid shut down bs in early 2020. On track for 6 days in a row today looks like.

You seem to be poorly invested then. Might I suggest a fund that indexes to the Dow, S&P 500, or Russell 2000? They are up 17%, 25%, and 10% respectively YTD as of today. Far outpacing inflation (even with the clawback over the last month).

15-Dec-21
I was stating that a 5 day decline on my funds hasnt happened since then. Still up overall but im not in the business of watching prior gains disappear. Are you?

If you’re worried about a dip over five consecutive days, id suggest looking at other investments or perhaps investing in the market at all isn’t for you.

15-Dec-21
that "near all time high" was last week."

It was at close on Monday 12/13 to be exact. Like I said, 3 trading days ago. Are you seriously fretting over 2 days of down markets? If so, you should stop paying attention, and go do something fun.

Matt

15-Dec-21
https://www.barrons.com/articles/stock-market-today-51639478810 You should pay more attention to what is going on with inflation.

AND to elaborate to the negative people on here about my investing strategies, there is a reason i am watching it close. I have a property i am closing on in mid January. I agreed to purchase with the funds coming from selling a mutual fund. Now it has dropped quite a few 1000 since last thursday! I am aware of how to invest. This shit is happening at time when i need to sell or not buy the property. You cant always just sit back in your fat chair and watch shit happen.

15-Dec-21
https://www.barrons.com/articles/stock-market-today-51639478810 You should pay more attention to what is going on with inflation.

AND to elaborate to the negative people on here about my investing strategies, there is a reason i am watching it close. I have a property i am closing on in mid January. I agreed to purchase with the funds coming from selling a mutual fund. Now it has dropped quite a few 1000 since last thursday! I am aware of how to invest. This shit is happening at time when i need to sell or not buy the property. You cant always just sit back in your fat chair and watch shit happen.

15-Dec-21

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
bigeasygator's embedded Photo
I’m not saying you shouldn’t pay attention, or it doesn’t matter. I’m saying that if you’re freaking out about the area of the graph I’ve circled and can’t tolerate the minor dips in a market that has been showing great returns over the short and long term then perhaps putting your money in the market isn’t the right place for your money.

15-Dec-21
KHNC,

Your link doesn't support your previous claims of 5 straight days of down markets.

Here's another tip. Trying to "time" the markets to make investment decisions almost never works out well.

I wish you luck with your property purchase.

Matt

15-Dec-21
I love pulling your strings, "dirt soljah". LOL. The only problem is, when all your post inevitably vanish, it gives the appearance that I'm responding to phantoms. Phil is giving you an unusually long grace period this time, before he cancels you for the 20-something time.

Well, looky there, the markets gained back all of the previous 2 days of losses today. Feeling better, KHNC? ;-)

Matt

15-Dec-21
"https://www.creditdonkey.com/gas-price-history.html It looks like it wasn't. Bush was also the last president that gas was under $2/gal as a national average."

It doesn't appear that the gas prices in that link are inflation adjusted, so not an apples to apples comparison.

15-Dec-21
"AND to elaborate to the negative people on here about my investing strategies, there is a reason i am watching it close. I have a property i am closing on in mid January. I agreed to purchase with the funds coming from selling a mutual fund."

It would have been prudent to have sold the mutual funds concurrently with entering into the land purchase contract if you were reliant on the sale proceeds to close the transaction. As stated above, if your financial strategy can't weather a few down days in the market it would make sense to revisit it.

15-Dec-21
Not sure they could actually raise rates, for very long anyway. It's a bad, dumb spot to be in.

15-Dec-21
And just like that, Shawn Magyar's posts vanish in thin air. I think my new nickname for him will be "Cancelled". LOL!!

RT, I disagree. I think the only way the Feds will reign in inflation will be to incrementally raise rates. They'll probably remain relatively low for quite some time, but I think a few small rate hikes in 2022 are inevitable. It will be interesting to see how the markets react. If history repeats, we'll see stock prices drop. Save up some cash. 2022 may be a good year to buy some equities, IMO.

Disclaimer: The above is not intended as financial advice, merely opinions from the author. Always consult your financial advisor about any investing decisions. ;-)

Matt

15-Dec-21
It's good to get an optimistic view point here and there.

15-Dec-21
Just a low middle class dummy here who never invested in any markets; but I did go back to a year ago this past Oct. and looked over my expenses then over two months and compared them to the last two months this year. Government says inflation is 6.2%. Pure bull$%^&! My simple figures looking at all areas of increase showed a figure of 13.2%. My checkbook doesn't lie but the dumbment does. No worries here; not invested and the wife is...in cash...

15-Dec-21
Why the heck does Shawn keep being cancelled. There are a lot of people on here that have said worse including that jackass Phil

Guess it's bowsites contribution to the new communism push

15-Dec-21
Fed announced today that they'll impose three interest rate hikes next year, and shut down bond purchases in March instead of June. Big investors liked that news, and we may see good runup for a couple days before some profit-taking.

Newfi, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but cash is not an "investment" unless you're stockpiling to buy in when the market takes a dip. Otherwise, you're losing money on that paper every day. Meanwhile the index has gained over 23% in the past 12 months. Might want to contact a good fee-only advisor and start fighting the inflation monster with that cash.

16-Dec-21
"No worries here; not invested and the wife is...in cash..."

As Jaq indicated, cash devalues in an inflationary economy - especially if its inflation is close to the 13.2% annual rate you referenced.

16-Dec-21
Guys... forgot that the wife is messing with that cash in her Charles Schwab accounts n tells me she's doing well... unless she were to pass, I am unable to slip some aside for another moose hunt. She is tighter than bark to a tree.

17-Dec-21
Bloomburg says spend all you have as fast as you can....... good info if formulating debate points for an arguing an elk hunt......

19-Dec-21
"Whats CF got to do with those."

Umm, they are owned by the same guy, and are subject to the same rules and moderation, perhaps? The BS main hunting forum has morphed into the CF, anyway, so why wouldn't you be banned from it, as well? You're like the little misfit kid in grade school who shows up to birthdays parties without an invitation, then cries when the parents make him go home.

Matt

19-Dec-21
The owner's chosen moderator has banned you over 20 times, Shawn. You were in the military, right? Certainly you understand the concept of a chain of command. Personally, I couldn't care less if you are banned, or not. You're a morbid curiosity for me, like looking at a bad car crash, when you know you shouldn't. Ultimately, your posts always disappear, just like a car crash does, so all that's left is an unsightly memory.

Matt

20-Dec-21
Grey Ghost "Well, looky there, the markets gained back all of the previous 2 days of losses today. Feeling better, KHNC? ;-)"

I sold my MF that day. So i at least gained a little back. Market has been down every day except that one, including today. Looks like i stopped the quick bleed just in time. Im sure it will make a comeback at some point, but my IRA funds are safely invested anyway.

13-Jan-22
You are all fucking fucking animal killers! You will burn in hell!

15-Jan-22
hunting is and pretty much always has been pretty cheap. chasing the best animals on the best habitat, all around the world, with all the latest greatest equipment, always has been and always will be expensive.

18-Jan-22
The ones trying to blame demand as a reason for higher gas prices are crazy. January 2019 gas was an average of $2.60/gallon. Today the average is $3.31/per gallon. There might be slightly higher demand now but not 29% more

18-Jan-22
That's not how supply and demand functions, WYelkhunter.

• Sitka Gear