Gunny 13-Jan-22
Ollie 13-Jan-22
Gunny 13-Jan-22
Buffalo1 13-Jan-22
Jaquomo 13-Jan-22
Ollie 14-Jan-22
Ollie 14-Jan-22
12-Jan-22
I was reading a post in the Wisconsin threads, and I came across a comment that got me thinking. I did not want to hijack his thread, so I started this one. It may have been brought up in the past, but I don't remember it.

Pete-pec wrote "I need some magnification, or wear my glasses more often (which I despise due to fear of glare)."

Thoughts on animals picking you out from eyeglasses, binos, monoculars, cameras, etc.?

I had to start wearing my glasses full time about 6 years ago, and I guess I never gave it any thought. Thinking back, that may have been how I've got busted when I thought I was doing everything to avoid detection.

12-Jan-22
just get anti-reflective coating on your lenses.

12-Jan-22
I've worn glasses my whole life, never felt they spooked anything I was hunting. But I'd go along with Ricky, buy no glare coated lenses if you are concerned with it.

12-Jan-22
Keep them in the shade and you will not have an issue. Wearing a brimmed hat helps.

I do laugh when I see the flat brimmers with their sunglasses over the brim of your caps. That is as good as putting a couple of mirrors up there to announce your presence.

12-Jan-22
I have anti reflective coatings on all my glasses, but they still reflect the sun. Just not as much. Hunting on the prairie, its impossible to always be in the shade, especially when the sun is a low angle and I'm having to work into it. I've done different "eye tests" from a distance and they can see that reflection. No way to get around it sometimes.

12-Jan-22
I always suspected the glare thing, but I tried to stay in the shade as much as possible anyway. This is Texas, no long sleeves for the first month and a half of the season usually. Arms shine like new money as well as faces and glasses.

12-Jan-22
Crizal Sapphire 360 UV is the highest quality anti reflective coating we use. Not cheap at all but what part of your gear is?

12-Jan-22
I had problems with monkeys and baboons seeing me in hides (I wear glasses). Got my lens anti-glare coated.

It worked, monkeys and baboon had a harder time spotting me in a hide. I’ve never seen or hunted any animal with a sharper eye than a baboon.

12-Jan-22
More of a question than a statement but I thought anti-glare was so that you did get glare looking threw them not so much to keep them from glaring when something see them. Maybe they do both???

I wear contacts mostly especially when hunting. But I feel I see better in glasses. I am getting close to need a visit with the eye doc. My glass are bi-focals which has been a concern with shooting a bow with glasses, this adds another thing to consider I guess.

12-Jan-22
John, I wear progressive lenses but had a pair of single vision made up for shooting. Zeiss lenses with anti-reflective coating. I believe I see better with glasses than contacts too.

12-Jan-22
Contact lenses. Laser correction surgery.

12-Jan-22
Been in glasses for 62 yrs and went through the good and bad with them, being a ground hunter I wear either dark shades or yellow depends on the light of course with a face covering. Just got cataracts removed and will still wear shades in bowhunting or in the woods just for eye protection, seems strange without wearing glasses but is nice. Take care of your eyes and enjoy the hunt.

13-Jan-22
Most of the time I stillhunt. I wear glasses and one of the basics for me when I do this, is to hunt with the sun behind me as much as possible. One of the other advantages of this set up is that when I do pause (which is most all the time!) I can be in front of the tree to be in it's shadow. Glare has never been a problem for me.

13-Jan-22
I hate wearing my glasses, but I like seeing.

Looking through a peep is the worst. My groups are definitely not as tight. I still shoot well, but the grouping is larger. I used to lay them in right next to each other now I've opened my grouping out to over an inch and a half. Also, with the focusing issue I sometimes find it difficult to acquire my target.

This new glare Ephinay has got me going through past hunts when I was busted, seemingly for no reason. In particular a few years ago I was watching a doe and fawn about 300 yards out across a combined corn field. Wind was perfect. They were feeding occasionally checking the area. When all of a sudden, the doe shot her head up and looked directly at me. She took off with her fawn. I couldn't figure out what happened. Now I'm wondering if my glasses sent her a signal flash.

Feel stupid I never considered this in all my years of hunting. Something new to think about for me.

13-Jan-22

13-Jan-22
I hate stuff in my eyes. Also, I wear bifocals. Does that work with contacts?

Every eye doc I've seen does not recommend Lasik.

13-Jan-22
I had lasik surgery. It was wonderful till cataracts happened.

I think a lot of lasik surgery depends on the quality of the surgeon.

13-Jan-22
Rocky, I got a pair of "computer glasses" to solve the issue you're talking about. Now with progressives, my eyes automatically "find" the right spot for whatever I'm looking at. For computer, I don't have to raise my head up and get a sore neck.

As far as Lasik.. everyone I know who has had it eventually had to wear glasses for something. A few have halos. I know they can do one eye for distant and one for close up, but then, what's the point? How does that work for shooting a bow? Would love to hear from some bowhunters who've gone that route.

I found contacts to be a PIA, and had problems with close-up blurriness. My eyes are corrected to 20/15 with glasses, so I'm ok with dealing with the downsides vs. having a laser shot into my eyes.

14-Jan-22

14-Jan-22
I had Lasic surgery about 15 years ago. Was tired of my glasses fogging up and dealing with rain on the lenses. Could not wear contacts full time since I worked in a lab with chemical vapors. I had my vision corrected for distance. I need reading glasses for close up. 20/15 distance vision. I needed a second treatment to additionally correct my vision about one year from the first which is not uncommon if your vision needs a lot of correcting. No more corrections or problems since then. I do not have the “halo” effect at night. The procedure did not take long although it was a very weird feeling and sensation when the made surgical incisions to roll the outer eye flap back. I am glad I had the surgery as it worked well from me.

• Sitka Gear