HDE 13-Jan-22
DonVathome 14-Jan-22
Norseman 14-Jan-22
jimss 17-Jan-22
HDE 17-Jan-22
sticksender 17-Jan-22
Airborne 17-Jan-22
13-Jan-22
I posted on MM and no responses yet so I will try here.

Utah issues 10% of elk tags to NR's. How many total tags does it take for NR to get 3 permits? 33 total tags?

I have seen units with 32 total tags (for a specific hunt, not total tags) issue only 2 NR tags - I would think it would have been 3?

13-Jan-22
10% doesn't mean for each hunt code. It's 10% across the board for a quota. That's why some hunt codes don't even offer a NR tag.

13-Jan-22
Gotcha, I figured it was like that. That makes sense, a few NR tags might in units with, for example, 8 total tags, so NR get a tag but in a unit like I mentioned it rounds down to make up for it.

13-Jan-22
Hey man that's just Utah math. That extra tag you saw missing probably went to the Expo or SFW auctioned it off.

Sorry, my new years resolution was to be more positive. I briefly fell off the wagon there.

13-Jan-22
"That extra tag you saw missing probably went to the Expo or SFW auctioned it off."

Probably more true than you realize. There is a specific unit for LE antelope I want, but no non-resy tag available...

13-Jan-22
As mentioned for sure NR tags go to Auctions-

It was a smart political ploy by $FW to avoid any in state backlash from Utard hunters.

So you will see many less NR allocations across the board than the total 10%. That’s why the NR draw odds are low…

13-Jan-22
aaaaahhhhh I forgot about Expo & SFW

Now it makes sense. gggrrrr so many units that could have 2 NR tags but only have 1 and obviously it is not a max points tag.

I am sitting on 20 points. In 222 years I have missed exactly one application Utah 18 years ago. I also tried for AR301 once. Wish I could have either of those back:)

IMO 1 more/less points makes a 5 year difference getting a tag.

13-Jan-22
Listen to Randy Newbergs podcast. He started rattling off the number of NR tags available vs number of applicants. (Utah). Not a pretty picture.

13-Jan-22
^^^^ NM is even worse.

14-Jan-22
All the states are getting ROUGH. Not fronting app fees and CC apps killed NR odds over the past 15 years. Everywhere I look is night and day compared to 2000.

14-Jan-22
What’s the due date for putting in for Utah elk? Thanks Don’t want to lose my place in line ??

14-Jan-22
Utah is March 3rd

17-Jan-22
Utah has gotten a lot of criticism over the years because quotas aren't available until after the draw deadline. I actually answered a Utah poll earlier this winter in regard to this. For nonres it has been impossible to know which units will offer high bonus pt tags in any given year until after the draw deadline. For Utah res there are bonus plus regular draw tags available in just about every unit but for res it was impossible to know how many bonus pt and regular draw tags would be issued until after the deadline (they had no feel for potential draw odds).

I have something like 25 bison pts and many years they didn't even offer bonus pt tags for most seasons. Many years I guessed wrong and applied for units with 0 bonus pt tags. According to Utah they are going to allow hunters to change their unit choices starting in 2023 with change deadlines after quota numbers are known. This change will definitely benefit nonres and res applying for tags!

17-Jan-22
^^^ UT is about as dense slow as they come on this.

Publish the tag numbers before the app timeframe even starts, not after...

17-Jan-22
The statement that the expo permits and auction permits are deducted from the 10% non-resident allocation is intriguing.

I've never noticed that to be actual fact though.

Possible that I'm missing something, but a quick check of the 2021 draw report, posted on the UDWR website shows that NR's get at least 10% of the total LE permits issued in the public draw. That's after deducting CWMU public draw permits, which NR are ineligible to draw, by rule.

Last year their stats show that NR's received 10.6% of the total (non-CWMU) LE permits issued in the public draw:

17-Jan-22
Funny how long lies can hang on. When the expo was proposed to the residents years ago it was said that expo tags were going to come from the NR pool so it wouldn't hurt resident draw odds and would give a resident a chance at a NR tag if you participated in the expo. Residents were on board of course. Come to find out that was a big LIE. NR's have had and continue to have 10% of limited entry tags. The expo has taken none of that away from non residents--A more appropriate view is the expo takes tags away from all of us that do not participate in that event.

Good data posted by sticksender

• Sitka Gear