Jaquomo 16-Jan-22
Gunner GSP 16-Jan-22
t-roy 16-Jan-22
Gunner GSP 16-Jan-22
elkster 17-Jan-22
APauls 17-Jan-22
Inshart 18-Jan-22
15-Jan-22
https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting/bowhunter-arrows-whitetail-deer-missouri/

15-Jan-22

Grey Ghost's Link
I'll make it easier, Dana. Here's a clickable link. Of course, it wasn't shot with a X-bow, so it probably won't get the same attention as the "211" thread. ;-)

Amazing deer.

Matt

15-Jan-22
Beautiful buck! Congrats to the bowhunter on an incredible deer!

15-Jan-22
Haha Matt

15-Jan-22
Holy smokes! Congratulations to the hunter. Thanks for sharing.

15-Jan-22
How did he manage to shoot that deer? He's wearing an entire Sitka suit but an Under Armour beanie. One would think the deer would be able to pick him out hundreds of yards away.

15-Jan-22
Amazing story and well done perfectly executed by the bow hunter total congratulations to him and a magnificent animal.

As I read that and follow along with all of the trail cam photos and tracking that deer over multiple years multiple seasons multiple farms in multiple day parts I just wonder if that deer would’ve been killed by him 20 years ago without that type of technology. Or how much better his chances were today vs. then.

Clearly he knew because of the cameras when to go in when to stay out…….. where to go we’re not to go ……….and he was able to be very selective, based on the information he had, and to give himself the best chance which he executed flawlessly. He did great.

It just seems a little strange to have such intel to use especially when the whole history of the deer is told by remote cameras. for me this is an excellent example of using remotely gathered third party intelligence to significantly change the approach to hunting and removing some of the randomness and surprise of a major opportunity and eventually a major accomplishment

He was obviously a very smart hunter and highly skilled and executed with precision when the moment of truth came which all are to his credit. He did great.

my only question is with so much intelligence available to us using this model how much better are the chances of animals like this falling today versus many years ago. Information is power in hunting just like in all other aspects of our lives.

Even just knowing that animals like that exist on a particular property without ever having to see them in person can change how a person would look at other animals that they may have an opportunity to take. Now they pass on the earlier smaller animals maybe only because they know through photography only, and no personal experience in the woods, that better animals exist. So patience is practiced today when in the past tags would have been punched and people not even still in the woods.

So much is available these days for people who may not even take time to get into the woods to personally see the object of their pursuit or even any actual sign it may leave. Not only may one not see the animal they may never even see a track rub or scrape with their own eyes……..yet they know far more than at any point in the past a lot more about what that animal is doing, when they are doing it and where. Then they piece together exactly where there may be an opportunity to take advantage of it.

Today you hear about people talking about how important it is to stay out of the woods so they don’t educate animals where as in the past it was all about being there with them learning and observing in past the more time spent in the woods and scouting the better. Of course at that time there was no other way to do it since third-party surveillance didn’t exist

In the past may be the first time you ever saw the animal you took was when you took it because you never cross paths in the woods today you may know that animal well and never have seen him physically or been anywhere near it

Not sure how much we’ve gained or lost in that process.................but i am sure the odds have gone up as compared to years ago.

15-Jan-22
Bou’boud, you bring up some really good points. Obviously, the cameras aided this hunter but he had to have the skill to close the deal when the time came. It seems in this instance that everything just “came to together” at the right moment for the lucky guy.

As far as would he have been able to kill this deer 20 years ago, I would yes, absolutely if he was in a stand when the deer walked by. I’ve known a few hunters in my life who have consistently killed big deer without any help from technology. They all are skilled hunters, but one thing sticks out the most to me-they spend more time in the woods than most other hunters that I know.

15-Jan-22
^^^ and they can keep their cool and close the deal when the opportunity is presented.

But I do agree with Bou that this was sort of the electronic version of the big "team elk hunts" in AZ and NM. No matter, fantastic buck and congratulations to him for making it happen.

15-Jan-22
You could argue that every technological product that has come out in the last 25 yrs has made it a lot easier for millions of hunters. What would we do without the "cough silencer", or "butt out tool"?

15-Jan-22
Great buck, good for the hunter....PLEASE NO MORE POLITICAL BS ON THIS SITE, NO ONE CARES.... WE ARE HUNTERS, LETS MOVE ON,,,, STAY ON ALL THE OTHER MEDIA SITES YOU WANT, BUT THIS IS BOWSITE,... ALLI WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IS BOWHUNTING..... TAKE HOUR POLITICS SOMEWHERE ELSE

15-Jan-22
Those days are gone like the Quebec caribou hunts.

15-Jan-22
ALLI WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IS BOWHUNTING

It’s not your decision to make. Even the owner of this site posts political threads. Perhaps you should read and comment in the threads that interest you, and ignore those that don’t.

Lou, I agree with you 100% on your last point. Electronic team hunting is a perfect way to describe it.

Matt

15-Jan-22
Call hunting a sport or a pastime or a lifestyle or an obsession if you like, but to many people it's a *business*. There's money in crossbows, trail cams, long range rifles and expensive optics, fancy clothing etc. etc.

This was a good bow shot and clean kill on a great deer. Would we complain if it was taken with a 30-30? (And no, I wouldn't have shared it here.)

I shoot recurve but have no problem with a good archer who chooses a compound. Nor do I have a problem with a gun hunter who uses the latest caliber wunderthunderstick. It's hunting, and I'm pretty sure nobody here is in the running for the Nobel Peace Prize...

15-Jan-22
Its a Mowa deer. Hiding in Iowa half the time.

15-Jan-22

15-Jan-22

15-Jan-22

15-Jan-22

15-Jan-22
Great buck!

15-Jan-22
Fantastic deer, and a great story. Even with the use of trail cameras to know the deer existed, to have the determination and drive to hunt that deer, the discipline not to over hunt it until the best potential opportunity came, if it came at all, and then be able to control your nerves to make a good shot, is still very commendable in my book.

15-Jan-22
I think T-roy passed that one up because of the broken brows.

15-Jan-22
I actually am running for the Nobel Peace Prize.

15-Jan-22
Nice buck regardless of weapon used....congrats to that hunter for being patient and getting a payoff.

15-Jan-22
Those days are gone like the Quebec caribou hunts.

15-Jan-22

15-Jan-22
Sometimes ya just have to read the room.

15-Jan-22
All I can think about when I see I deer like that is what does he net as a typical. I’d have had to let him walk. ;)

15-Jan-22
I agree Bou, The hunter used all legal technology to aid in killing that buck. I guess that’s an accomplishment, too.

Matt

15-Jan-22
Back to the deer - it is amazing how much a buck can "blow up" in a year or two. I have the left shed from my 218 muley from the two years before I shot him. He went from an average 160-170 buck to a world class buck in one year. Looks like this MO buck did too.

15-Jan-22
^^^^Agree , Lou. If the genetics are there, it’s pretty crazy how many inches they can put on in a single year. Lots of enjoyment and satisfaction, as well, in having a hand at helping them possibly reaching their potential, antlerwise, by letting them walk until they reach 4-5 years or older. Granted, that’s not an option for lots of guys.

16-Jan-22
Once in several lifetime buck, congrats to the bowhunter! I’m not jealous or critical of his use of trail cams.

16-Jan-22
Can we read a preview of your acceptance speech Lou?

(Please forgive me, I realize it would hijack this thread)

16-Jan-22
I love running trail cameras and seeing what's on my place, because I live so far away but I would be ok with not running them if the laws changed, I have to be honest I like the mystery of hunting somewhere and not knowing what will show up. I could see how cell cameras can/are abused and can be ethically questionable.

16-Jan-22
Elkster: "I would like to humbly commend the Nobel committee for presenting this prestigious award to a conservative for the first time in fifty years. At first I thought it must be a mistake, but then realized that, like Barack Obama and Albert Gore, I, too have done absolutely nothing to deserve this honor."

16-Jan-22
T-Roy. It also works in the opposite way. Neighbor on my Illinois farm is a real tree outdoors guy. He let an upper 160s 4 yo walk. Have Video, pics, sheds. Just right around 170” from the Shed. My buddy shot it this year. Maybe put a few inches on, that’s it...

16-Jan-22
Very true, Gunner. Sometimes they don’t put very many additional inches on, from one year to the next, for any number of reasons. The only way to know for sure what they’re going to grow, is to give them the opportunity.

16-Jan-22
Oops. Double post

17-Jan-22
Thats a fine, pithy speech Jaq!

17-Jan-22
What a deer! It's always amazing how many of these big monsters have verifiable brushes of death. Makes you wonder about the ones you don't know. This guy shot in the antler. If that guy could have hit what he was aiming at that buck would have been toast. My buck this year had been hit by a vehicle and still survived. Oh so close.

18-Jan-22
That is a very impressive deer, congrats to the hunter!

I Agree with Bou, about the use of trail cams. I wonder, without the use of the trail cams, would this hunter have shot "that specific deer"?

• Sitka Gear