Paul@thefort 19-Jan-22
t-roy 19-Jan-22
Paul@thefort 20-Jan-22
cnelk 20-Jan-22
Rgiesey 20-Jan-22
Paul@thefort 22-Jan-22
16-Jan-22

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Hunt 12, January 11th. Chase nor I got a TREAT this morning. Hunted from the blind near the garage looking east. Saw 50-60 geese but no takers.
Hunt 12, January 11th. Chase nor I got a TREAT this morning. Hunted from the blind near the garage looking east. Saw 50-60 geese but no takers.

16-Jan-22

Hunt 13, January 14, Hunting from the other blind, at the far end of the pasture looking back towards the house. I like this blind as I can see a lot better, geese being around
Hunt 13, January 14, Hunting from the other blind, at the far end of the pasture looking back towards the house. I like this blind as I can see a lot better, geese being around
Geese flying early, just got set up and in the blind, here they come.
Geese flying early, just got set up and in the blind, here they come.
Great, they land within bow range at 25 yards.
Great, they land within bow range at 25 yards.
Single pin adjusted to 25 yards, draw, release, WACK, Goose number 13 for the season.
Single pin adjusted to 25 yards, draw, release, WACK, Goose number 13 for the season.

16-Jan-22

I line Chase up on the goose, he see it, "dead bird, fetch!
I line Chase up on the goose, he see it, "dead bird, fetch!
Off like a rocket. I think he likes this stuff.
Off like a rocket. I think he likes this stuff.
Chase makes it look easy. Over hundred geese retrieved.
Chase makes it look easy. Over hundred geese retrieved.

16-Jan-22

Dead goose to hand. Good boy, Treat time!
Dead goose to hand. Good boy, Treat time!
A little later, more geese coming in, but 30 yards away.
A little later, more geese coming in, but 30 yards away.
I wait as they walk towards the decoys. OK, 25 yards, I shoot and get a lot of feathers. Geese gone, end of the day. A good day.
I wait as they walk towards the decoys. OK, 25 yards, I shoot and get a lot of feathers. Geese gone, end of the day. A good day.

16-Jan-22

Hunt 14, January 16. As I am setting up the decoys this morning, I glance over near the pond and see this mule deer looking in my direction. Wonder what the deer is thinking?
Hunt 14, January 16. As I am setting up the decoys this morning, I glance over near the pond and see this mule deer looking in my direction. Wonder what the deer is thinking?
Geese flying late this morning and destinations elsewhere. Five or six of these flocks pass by without a look.
Geese flying late this morning and destinations elsewhere. Five or six of these flocks pass by without a look.
It was late in the morning when I hear goose behind the blind. I call and they tumble in, but 50 yards away. Need to get closer, Snow = lost arrow.
It was late in the morning when I hear goose behind the blind. I call and they tumble in, but 50 yards away. Need to get closer, Snow = lost arrow.

16-Jan-22
If Chase could speak he’d be saying geez dad I’m getting older can we go for ducks next time?! Great thread Paul!

16-Jan-22

they seems suspicious, stood their ground, milled around for awhile.
they seems suspicious, stood their ground, milled around for awhile.
later they put their heads together and it seems as if they debated moving closer to the other "geese". "should we or not!" they pondered.
later they put their heads together and it seems as if they debated moving closer to the other "geese". "should we or not!" they pondered.
Well, here they come, closing the distance from 50 yards to 21 yards. A mistake or not?
Well, here they come, closing the distance from 50 yards to 21 yards. A mistake or not?
Yep, a big mistake!
Yep, a big mistake!

16-Jan-22

So here is the rest of the story. The arrow strikes the goose low and back but does major damage, but the goose was able to fly away with the others. The flock heads west toward the big lake across the highway, passing the barn and then over the hill toward the highway, 300 yards away. I retrieve the arrow and notice a blood trail in the snow. Blood coming from the wounded and airborne goose. I gather up the arrow and Chase and I head for the barn and the direction the geese took. I can see the highway and then I see the goose just 20 yards from the road. It's head is up but sinking. I line Chase up, and off he goes, Goose number 14 for the season. Time, 10am. I head for home for breakfast and to feed Chase. Both well deserved. Fun stuff and thanks for following along. my best, Paul and Chase.

16-Jan-22
Great job Paul and Chase, and Paul, you can be sure he likes that stuff !

16-Jan-22
More awesome hunts. I would be happy to get one goose someday. Just haven't fou d a good place to try yet. But, havent looked that hard either.

16-Jan-22
I love to watch a trained retriever working and loving his job

16-Jan-22
That's a relaxing and productive site you've got there Paul! Lots of critters to watch and even the odd one to shoot at most days. You won't have much time to wait till turkeys! Then we won't have to wait too long for another story.

Congrats to you and Chase for keeping the spirit alive and flourishing!

16-Jan-22
Spike, I took Chase on what I believe will be his last duck hunt in late December when the split reopened here in the NW part of Colorado. NO ducks. Many of us believe the migration of ducks to Colorado has moved farther east into Nebraska because of the drought, and less corn being planted. Plus this years, the duck hatch, was very low in Canada and maybe even Wyo, and Montana. I remember 10 years ago, at the end of Nov and by Mid December, thousand of migrating duck would be over and in the corn field of eastern Colorado forced down by the freeze and snow. Not any more. And to make it worse, in NE Colorado during the 86 days duck season, there is a split for 19 days, (no hunting) starting in the early part of December, exactly when the major duck migration has been shown to come through. The CPW believes they have reasons, but we who hunt in that area for years, know better. Any way, I hope there will be a few ducks around for the new dog to be trained on. If not, a goose or two will just have to do.

17-Jan-22
More great stuff, Paul! Has anyone ever hassled you for retrieving one from that lake? I always wondered about that.

17-Jan-22
Lou, last year a goose made it to the big lake across the hwy, and died 80 yards from shore on the safe ice. I spoke with a guy walking his dog, told him the facts, and he allowed me come on the property, and send Chase to retrieve. Two years before that, an eagle beat me to it on the same lake. I know I am not even making a dent in the local goose population but having fun trying, and then there is Chase..................also having fun. OH, speaking of Mt. Lions, two grown cubs were seen crossing the goose pasture last year by the neighbor. That was the same time, an adult lion was spotted a mile away towards the Country Club.

17-Jan-22
Congrats on some fun sits. How long does the season last?

17-Jan-22
Great hunts and congratulations to you and Chase. He deserves all the treats he gets. I enjoy your posts and the pictures are amazing.

17-Jan-22
Keep it up. Great stories and pictures. Chase does not seem to have any trouble handling those geese, what does the average one weigh?

17-Jan-22
Great stuff...as usual! Congrats!!

17-Jan-22

Rob, the dark goose season lasts until Feb 13, ie, the day before Chase's 13th birthday on Feb. 14, Valentine's Day.

Dave, an adult Canada goose can weight between 7 and12 pounds. I have killed a few of the heavy ones, and that does give Chase an problem of hauling them back. Chase does not seem to have a particular way of carrying them. Sometimes, by the wing, or, neck or tail, or body.

17-Jan-22
You two are having a great season. Keep the stories and pics coming. We’re having a better duck season than we’ve had in years here in SE Louisiana. Maybe the duck migration has shifted East and South?

17-Jan-22
More great stuff Paul! What’s the most you 2 of taken in one season?

17-Jan-22
A rolling stone gathers no moss...keep rollin' Paul!

17-Jan-22
There is just something that can’t be topped about hunting with a canine companion.

17-Jan-22
Paul, I have wondered if Chase is a one person dog. By that, I mean do you communicate at some level that nobody else can and therefore he responds only to you in certain ways? It seems that you two have such a great relationship that could be the case and the reason that he truly is a wonder dog? Bob

17-Jan-22
Bob, Chase is just a very smart dog and we have been companions since he was 8 weeks old. We have hunted duck, geese, and pheasants and I can not remember ever losing too many or just a few. I have entered Chase in Hunt Test trials and he qualified for his Senior Level and was working on his Masters, but when he lost his eye at the age of 3 years, he had some difficulty marking down birds, and doing blind retrieved in the water so I stopped doing trials. But as an above average retriever, great! So, yea, sort of connected at the hip and we both understand each other, well to a degree! Now, is he a one person dog? Other than Tricia, who he seem to like a lot because she is always more compassionate towards him, he does respond to my commands better and some of those "commands" might just be a stare, or finger point, or a louder voice, or a TREAT. One great attribute about Chase, he has always had the passion and drive of a great Labrador retriever to hunt and hunt hard and even today at 13 years, he seems like a puppy in the field, eager as hell, but how he take longer naps and can not hunt too long so these local goose hunts are ideal for him. I do believe I took him on his last duck hunt two weeks ago and I doubt any pheasants will be in his future. Sad indeed but he is my 6th Labrador and we do have a Lab puppy on order for July. Maybe he will be around for awhile but I would expect, not more than a year. The way we get over losing a dog is just, to get another one as we have planned. Then we start all over again, the process.

Greg, Two seasons ago, we killed and Chase retrieved 17 geese off this place. That season, I killed a limit of 5 one morning. Now last year, we got 4, missed 4. This is a better year for sure but things are slowing down as the geese are flying farther looking for food and not feeding too much locally and many if not all of the lake are froze over. I have until Feb. 13 when the season ends, we will get out a few more times.

18-Jan-22
Always the first thread I look for when opening BS. Another fantastic "partnership" hunt. Like all of us as we age, sleeping in a bit longer, a nap and a treat is always good thing - well deserved Chase! [and Paul :) ]

18-Jan-22
Chase is still doing great for his age. Thanks for these reports Paul!

19-Jan-22
Great stuff Paul!

19-Jan-22
Paul you and Chase can share my blind any day! Great pics!

19-Jan-22
Chase sure is getting lot's treats this season. :)

19-Jan-22
Paul, I was away from Bowsite while hunting in Arizona. The yard hopper threads were the first ones I looked for upon my return. Great job as always!

19-Jan-22
Well guys I was thinking about a goose hunt this morning, got dressed, fed Chase, opened the garage door, stepped out and slipped on the ice and fell on my ass. The rainy/cold mist of the night had places a thin layer of ice on everything. Yea, went back to bed and will wait for another day.

19-Jan-22
Even YOU need a day off, once in awhile, Paul! I’ll bet Chase will cut you a little slack, though.

What bow are you shooting? Looks like a Switchback?

20-Jan-22
Troy, the bow is a Mathews Reezen single cam. A friend sold it to me for $100 eight years ago. I replace the sight, added a drop a way rest, new string, attached a Tight Spot quiver. Seems to work ok. Actually it shoots better then me but has served me well. Right now I am "biting the bit" as I was going ice fishing today, 100 miles west of here but with the roads as they are, with some ice spots, I will wait for a few hours and then see. Thanks for the note.

20-Jan-22
Paul - they've been driving on Lake John - lots of ice. Better go today because lots of guys will be there tomorrow for the weekend fishing tourny

20-Jan-22
Paul, Fell on the ice in ND. Seems to me the ground is getting harder.

22-Jan-22

Hey Brad, caught these Friday b4 the fish contest. Sight fishing, in tent. fun stuff.
Hey Brad, caught these Friday b4 the fish contest. Sight fishing, in tent. fun stuff.
largest, 23.5 in, lost another one at size, good eats, turned back 8 smaller ones.
largest, 23.5 in, lost another one at size, good eats, turned back 8 smaller ones.

• Sitka Gear