Stringwacker 23-Jan-22
Bou'bound 23-Jan-22
bentstick54 23-Jan-22
Wideone 10-Feb-22
Hancock West 14-Feb-22
APauls 14-Feb-22
groundhunter50 14-Feb-22
21-Jan-22
I'm booked for a May 2022 bear hunt in Manitoba. I doing a dry run on the Arrivecan app and am confused with the 14 quarantine plan that must be entered. We are all staying at at a B&B as arranged by the Outfitter. It's unclear to me how everyone is housed (single occupancy/double occupancy etc).

Can anybody with experience with this aspect of Arrivecan offer any insight? Lastly, as a US citizen that will be arriving and departing by land....why can't I just leave the country if I catch it while in Canada? Are there checkpoints in Canada when leaving? On the US side, when traveling by land I'm under the understanding there are no pre-test requirements and you can't be denied entry as a citizen. I have to be honest, I do wonder if it all worth it. I guess I'm just saying looks like if you got covid on the bear hunt you could just leave and drive back to the US.

21-Jan-22
We have a couple of hunters at the border right now. They successfully crossed into Canada. One was picked to do a random test. Agent said best to do test at parking lot of customs. He's doing test now. International Falls Fort Frances crossing has a covid test drop box for those who are picked for a random test. They put the camp address as the quarantine address. If you get covid while here turn around and go home... you are allowed to leave and go home if you catch covid in Canada. Only check point is when you cross back into the USA. They ( US Customs ) do not require any tests but do require you to be vaccinated.

Don't fret, its easier than feared... It is worth it, Go and enjoy your Manitoba Bear Hunt!!

21-Jan-22
I hunted Alberta in November, we just entered the nearest hotel as the address that we would quarantine if we got covid. I was traveling by air though. Was actually pretty easy process.

21-Jan-22
Spike Buck, I'm pretty sure your recent vacation that took you through my home state was easier:)....... Thank for the confirmation on the ability to leave legally. It's the obvious solution when your 7 hours from the border. I guess what is throwing me is the app asking for more than an address (which I have one provided by the outfitter for the B&B) The app asking if there are high risk people there, medical staffing, and other members staying with the same arrangement.

It just seems like a long ways for three people from Mississippi to drive to provide the wrong answer and get denied entry. Once the Nat test comes back, the arrive can app is completed and verified by Canada, we are probably going to have just enough time to make it if we need travel with the same breakneck speed as Burt Reynolds/Jerry Reed did on their cross country beer run in the movie Smokey and the Bandit....minus the Trans-am:)

Specifically, can anyone share how deep of a dive do the agents often do on the plan? There's really no way to know half the questions the app wants you to answer.

21-Jan-22
They don’t look at it. Your outfitter should provide it for you and it is the same for you very client. A responsible outfitter will have a standard plan on the template required. Easy

21-Jan-22
I hunted Canada twice last fall. Crossed land border both times. Everything was seamless/easy. Yes, if you get Covid you can come home, but you need to put an address in the ArrivCan app. Pick one and go.

21-Jan-22

21-Jan-22
Ok...thanks guys; I'm feeling a little better. My outfitter wasn't aware of the ArriveCan quarantine requirement but after exchanging a few text, I have an address. The address doesn't match the B&B's name but I'm sure everything is legit. It does match a legit street address in the town we are staying.

The outfitter is very reputable and well known.

21-Jan-22
Stringwacker, I wouldn’t worry too much about the details. I know the border agents were even helping some people at the border to complete it properly if they screwed up part of it. We had 25 Americans come through in the fall, all with the nearby small town hotel on their app as the quarantine place. About half got tested at the border and then continued on with their travels or got handed a test to complete online as soon as they could and then drop it off at a purolator drop box. Some were advised to wait near the border at a city for the results if driving, none waited. No tests came back positive, some results took several days to get the back. Flying or driving all of my hunters said their wasn’t much hassle with it.

21-Jan-22
Are the test at the border being mentioned required even if you have a negative test proof within the 72 hour window to show them?

21-Jan-22
Random

21-Jan-22
Hunting for bears in may in BC. My outfitter emailed me a quarantine plan with all the info with my contract. Ask your outfitter. He should have those details.

21-Jan-22
We have 2 guys who just crossed. They both had a covid test each before arriving at customs. The Agent swiped their passport and Arrive Can App showed on his screen. He gave just 1 a random test to take in Fort Frances. Hunter did the random test where the nurse watched him on his device 2 hours ago. He then dropped the random test off at the drop off depot that was set up for those needing a random test.

They are all excited to get to camp tomorrow and begin hunting. Funny thing about it is that the results of the random test wont show up till after they are home.

22-Jan-22
Advice I give people is the address where their first stop is on their trip (hotel, camp, house, etc). Regardless of whatever you do, Arrivecan needs an address for it to process properly. Random testing happens just like spike buck says. Do the test within 24 hrs and you're set.

22-Jan-22
My Canadian fishing outfitter said to test prior to the 72 hour timeframe incase you have a false postitive or had covid prior without knowing. He had a guy who tested postitive 72 hours prior and had no syptoms. I guess testing a week or 2 prior and then again at 72 hours is a pain but it might be worth it to give yourself time to plan.

Like others said, but a hotel in for your place to stay on the app. Our boader crossing agent didn't even ask for the app, he just wanted the printed paper of the negative test 72 hours before crossing.

Also, print a few copies of you vaccine card and carry them (or picture on your phone). You need that to get into most places when you go out to eat.

22-Jan-22
Wi…they don’t ask for the app, they have all the info already downloaded to their screen when you cross.

22-Jan-22
Kota that makes sense. Crossing into Canada and back home went smooth. I think the -20 temps helped speed up the process.

23-Jan-22
Regarding land crossings, are the checks via drive through or do you park and go inside?

23-Jan-22
I gotta figure this out. Land crossing in about a month to go to Winnipeg. I’m vaccinated. I guess I need an app too?

23-Jan-22
Yes Bake. You need the ArriveCAN app. Upload your passport, vax card and quarantine address.

Stringwacker…Most archery crossings will be drive through. Gotta go in if you have a firearm.

23-Jan-22
The political winds are changing. I watched Bill Maher (hugely popular liberal show host) tell Democrats the way they're treating Covid is stupid. Lots of liberals are saying enough is enough. Time to get kids in school, stop freaking out every time there's a variant, and learn to live with covid the way we've lived with just about every other illness.

Given that our liberal politicians are starting to realize this is a liability for them, I'm sure Trudeau is too. He's a politician of the worst order and he's aware this is going to hurt his party. I wouldn't be surprised if this is all but fizzled out by your bear hunt, and certainly by next fall, meaing; Covid will still be here, but the ridiculous reactions with masking and lock downs will continue to fade.

23-Jan-22
Find a quick test facility. My doctors office has results in 15mins but some still take two days.

23-Jan-22
So you have to have a shot and papers to get in?

23-Jan-22
Keep in mind that the Canadians will not accept the Antigen test for Covid that is on every street corner and takes 15 minutes. Canadians coming to the US can use the Antigen test (airlines) Go figure.

The way I got this figured is you have to have two Covid shots, a passport, a 14 day acceptable quarantine plan, and a negative PCP or NAT test...then make sure you get all this done and get to the border within 72 hours. Heck getting the test results back in 24 to 48 hours doesn't leave a lot of time if your far from the border land crossing. Also you have to complete the APP process and get the approval number from Canada within the 72 hour window as well.

Let's just say when your 72 hour window starts; you really got a lot to do in a very short period of time. Its just plain crazy to a southern boy.

23-Jan-22
We got 2 Southern Boys here right now from Alabama and they had no issues with the Random test and border crossing. Border crossing procedures are ridiculous but is what it is. If your not into the procedure for crossing into Canada then don't!! Give your Outfitter notice so he can book your spot with someone else. Many places in States you can go to enjoy a spring bear hunt till it all passes...

23-Jan-22
Spike buck, I know Stringwacker is very much wanting to go to Canada, and is just worried about having everything figured out correctly so he doesn’t misunderstand something and get turned away because he misinterpreted some of the requirements. I’ m in the same boat, I have a bear hunt that has been pushed twice already in Saskatchewan and want to make sure I have everything “ right” when I drive up. I hate to think of getting to the border, thinking I have everything needed, only to get refused entry because I missed something, or a test result did not come back fast enough. For some that have, or does deal with this on a regular basis, it doesn’t seem to be a concern. To some of us that have not dealt with it yet, well we just don’t want to screw up.

23-Jan-22
Rest assured if three of us hadn’t paid for this hunt in full two years ago; I wouldn’t endure the red tape. Since the the Arrivecan app says if you travel together you should all file on the same app together..... its like I'm worrying for three vs just myself. I'm worried about one person being denied while the others are approved sort of thing.

Frankly, I might forfeit the hunt yet either intentionally or unintentionally. I’m grateful for the outfitter to be able to honor the hunts for two years (he certainly has suffered more than the clients) while Canada was refusing visitors with a mandatory 14 day quarantine. He didn’t have to do that.

I guess in the end we should be grateful that the Canadian Government has provided the “how you can” of the present vs the “why you can’t” of the last two years. As Pat said, maybe the political landscape will be different by spring

23-Jan-22
Those bears ain’t coming to us. If you wanted em’ go get it em’!!!!!

23-Jan-22
That’s my plan.

10-Feb-22
Any new or different requirements for land travel to Canada since the last post here? Hoping to bear hunt in May.

14-Feb-22
I had covid on 1/11/22 which is within 180days of my trip. I had a rapid antigen test. If i had a PCR or molecular test i wouldn't need to worry about the test within 72hours of flying. They do NOT accept rapid antigen test to be considered recovered or for the test within 72hours of reaching the border. They claim the rapid tests aren't as accurate.

14-Feb-22
I would imagine by bear season all border restrictions will be gone. Or most of them. Federal Gov't is supposedly meeting to talk about them already. (But of course this is in no way related to the protests)

14-Feb-22
Good luck to all Canadian outfitters, your all our brothers and sisters,,,,, stay well

• Sitka Gear