Goelk 05-May-22
Jaquomo 05-May-22
goelk 05-May-22
goelk 05-May-22
Bearman 05-May-22
Jaquomo 05-May-22
Whatthefoc 06-May-22
18-Apr-22
If anyone used single bevel heads last year what did you think of them.

18-Apr-22
Yes. Been using them for a number of years off and on. Have killed at least 5 elk with them. They work if you put them in the right place. Blood trails are about like a standard double bevel - less than a 3 blade… I have had a lot of great performance with 3-blades like Snuffers and VPA’s and prefer them over any 2-blade for normal NA game.

18-Apr-22
FWIW, I haven’t seen any particular advantage to SB over double bevel.

The double bevel‘s make it really easy in my system of shooting every BH hunt arrow for groups ( making sure there is no spine or flight issue) then touching them up on V-shaped chock sticks and in my quiver.

18-Apr-22
They're o.k., but after trying them and killing a few animals with them - I think that the "hype" about them was somewhat overdone.

Also, I've been sharpening stuff all my life by hand, and I still don't like sharpening extra heavy, stainless steel, single bevel broad heads (completely by hand).

I prefer three blade broad heads for medium size big game like black bears, deer, and caribou, etc., and a razor sharp two blade for bigger stuff up to and including moose.

18-Apr-22
Yes. Been using them for a number of years off and on. Have killed at least 5 elk with them. They work if you put them in the right place. Blood trails are about like a standard double bevel - less than a 3 blade… I have had a lot of great performance with 3-blades like Snuffers and VPA’s and prefer them over any 2-blade for normal NA game.

18-Apr-22
They definitely save weight since your billfold is significantly lighter but the animal is not more dead.

18-Apr-22
Having used both, I'm back to double bevel.

They "twist" when they enter the body, which by simple physics, means more energy expended when they create the wound channel. I think it can affect penetration (just my opinion). I had a less than perfect hit on a bull elk, that I didn't recover, and it made me re-think the single bevel heads.

I'm sure for deer sized animals, they would work just fine, but I like to keep it simple.

18-Apr-22
Never shot an elk with one, but I did shoot a 180+ deer with one a few years ago. WOW, what a blood trail. the S shaped hole is a real factor. I don't know about on an animal the size of an elk if you would get a pass through. But that really depends on may factors. Like what you hit, arrow weight, bow poundage and all that. If you slip through the ribs, you'll get deeper penetration. If you hit the shoulder blade, well good luck. Put it in the right place, and you'll be happy. Good luck on your hunt. TMBB

18-Apr-22

dm/wolfskin's embedded Photo
They work great for me on Georgia hawgs with my longbow.

18-Apr-22

18-Apr-22
Worked great for me on the last elk I killed. I even hit him high in the shoulder blade shooting down out of a tree stand. Broadhead entered vertical, passed through the shoulder blade, exited horizontal just above the brisket. Blood trail was ok simply because he only made it about 25 yds before I watched him fall over. Lots of blood on the ground where he stood for a few seconds before tipping over. It was a 150 gr. SB Cutthroat.

18-Apr-22

butcherboy's embedded Photo

18-Apr-22

Exit side lung

18-Apr-22

Shoulder blade entrance

19-Apr-22
I used a 315gr (41L40 steel) broad-head from Bishop Archery. Total arrow weight was 940gr. Shot from a 68# Mathews, 28.5DL. Killed a Cape buffalo, A Water buffalo & a 500lb pig in Australia.. Got full penetration on all three. Shot distance was 22 yrds, 31 yrds & 53 yrds. In my opinion, single bevel blast through heavy ribs & penetrate great.. However, I only have experience shooting three critters

19-Apr-22
Shot an elk last season with a grizzly. No exit, lodged in offside rib. No blood but he didn't have time to leave a trail because recovery was 60 yds. Missed ribs on entrance, shaft snapped within 10 yards with 15 inch penetration (from a 48 to 50 lb draw). Head and remaining shaft "traveled" for remaining 50 yds before offside rib stopped it. I like the penetration a 3x1 single bevel head gets when shooting a bow of marginal draw weight. If someone gets adequate penetration and better trails from a multi blade head, keep using it. I am shooting double bevel heads at hogs and deer with same bow and a lighter ( 41 lb ) bow.

19-Apr-22
Hype

19-Apr-22
They are usually a beefier head. Which isn’t a bad thing anyway you look at it. Plus, the tip does bust bone better then a needle tip double bevel. Are they needed to better your odds? Not really. But, there are no negatives to a sturdier built head with a point that doesn’t bend over nearly as easily when hitting something hard.

20-Apr-22
I have (9) like new VPA, Double Bevel 2 blade, 200gr Bh's I'd make someone a great deal on! Also have (9) 200 Gr. field points I'll throw in!

I don't use them and have only shot one or two a couple times into foam.

20-Apr-22

Smtn10PT's embedded Photo
Maasai 200 gr head was heavily damaged but ultimately held together. No way would a replaceable blade head fared as well
Maasai 200 gr head was heavily damaged but ultimately held together. No way would a replaceable blade head fared as well
I bought into the heavy arrow and single bevel theory when I went after buffalo last year. I had a 780 grain (total) arrow and broadhead combo. I had some rest trouble right before i was leaving for the hunt and never got fully confident in my new setup. Long story short I hit a bull a little low and forward, and with an arrow that had less than perfect flight. He stayed with the herd for awhile but eventually lagged behind and was off by himself. If it was a bow only season I would have let him bed and stalked in for a follow up shot. Since it was gun season I ended it with a rifle from 100 yards. When we butchered the bull I was highly impressed with the damage that was done. I will use them again if i pursue an animal that size. I have tossed around the idea for elk as well.

Pic is the fractured upper part of humerus. Thats a lot of bone!

20-Apr-22

backwoods54's embedded Photo
backwoods54's embedded Photo
I,ve taken two deer with a single bevel.One a high strung whitetail doe. A Grizzly right hand single bevel from a left hand fletched 550 grain arrow from a 55 pound long bow. Arrow entered the lung cavity at 25 yds, the deer spun only to get the entire shaft from the lungs, existing the near the rear thigh and it into the femur bone, deer expired in seve ntyyards. The pic is the exit hole from the adbominal area. This hole is larger than a 12 gauge slug hole. What,s not to like of a single bevel.

20-Apr-22
PM sent to scarfinga

21-Apr-22
I use the paper sharpening wheels & single bevel are really easy to get wicked sharp with the wheels. Not saying I can't get a double bevel just as sharp just saying the single bevel is easier. This is why I shoot them.

21-Apr-22
Replied to PM.

21-Apr-22
They work but I believe a 2 blade with a bleeder or a 3 blade is just as good if not better.

22-Apr-22
Didn’t Pat do a test here years ago…shooting a cape buff bone after his hunt with a double bevel?

Seems to me he split bone with those….

22-Apr-22
I used single bevel in Africa on several animals. I was not impressed, and am back to double bevel.

24-Apr-22
If you are looking for penetration a bleeder is negating the reason to shoot a 2 blade.

I shot a big whitetail last fall with a single bevel straight down between the blades - he made it about 80 yards - looked like a bloodbath. In the top and out through the sternum. It was pretty impressive. The S cut was as described.

25-Apr-22
If you are looking for penetration a bleeder is negating the reason to shoot a 2 blade.

I shot a big whitetail last fall with a single bevel straight down between the blades - he made it about 80 yards - looked like a bloodbath. In the top and out through the sternum. It was pretty impressive. The S cut was as described.

25-Apr-22
I can't see or imagine how a 1/8" bevel on only one side of the blade would make a difference. In my own un-scientific testing, there was no difference including no S-shaped cut. The cut channels from both heads were the same, a slit if you will.

I have only killed animals with a double bevel, so there's that.

Broadhead threads remind me of engine oil threads on the various truck or car enthusiast sites. Arguments are made based on perceived benefits and what has worked best for that individual. I suppose that is how it should be.

01-May-22
I’ve killed a few deer with them out of my recurve. Including a couple shoulder blade shots and one through the humorous on a big Kansas buck. I mean broke it in half on exit. I loved how well they penetrated, but I hated the blood trails. If I knew I had to shoot through a shoulder blade, I’d probably continue to use them. But I gave up on them a while back because I just never saw the blood trails that I saw with two blades with bleeders or three/four blades.

I’ll admit though, since I had shoulder surgery a month and a half ago, and will be lucky to get to 60# this season, I’ve been debating on trying the kudu points with bleeders.

05-May-22
Yes, Cutthroat 150gr left bevel, taken a couple deer and my Colo. bull moose this last year. I'm impressed with the extra tissue damage done by the single bevel, the twisting effect really does a number on them, none of the kills ever went past 70yrds, so far. But like any broadhead shot placement is always going to be key.

05-May-22
I shot a mule buck a few years ago with a cutthroat single bevel 250 grains . He only travel about 50 yards. Massive blood lost to trail too. Shot placement always the key.

05-May-22
I shot a big bull elk with a 57# recurve and a 4 blade 125 grain Muzzy that only went 15 yards before toppling over. If I had shot him with a 250 grain single bevel I could tell the story about how he went down so fast because of the single bevel head.

05-May-22
Like I shot a big bull elk with a 57# recurve and a 4 blade 125 grain Muzzy that only went 15 yards before toppling over. If i had shot him with a 250 grain single bevel i could tell the story how he went down so fast because of the single bevel head.

05-May-22
Like I shot a big bull elk with a 57# recurve and a 4 blade 125 grain Muzzy that only went 15 yards before toppling over. If i had shot him with a 250 grain single bevel i could tell the story how he went down so fast because of the single bevel head.

05-May-22
I don't understand this topic? I've shot plain old Muzzys for 25 year. What am I missing? Hype?

05-May-22
Bearman, you can't possibly kill something with a broadhead designed 40 years ago. Impossible! I mean, no Social Media influencers or Cool Kids are using Muzzys now, so they must not work.. ;-)

06-May-22
Bearman - u can Google Ashby Report to read up on the benefits of single bevel. The physics of it makes sense to me, but not sure if it’s applicable to my style of hunting. If your deer are full of Cape buffalo bones, these might be the heads for you.

Single bevel is not a new technology - trad guys been using them forever. The application of them with compound bows is kind of a new thing, but I doubt it will make your deer any ‘deader’ than they are after you muzzify em.

For me, I shoot the same broadheads as Tiffany. I hate it when an arrow goes all the way thru - it gets my pink fletch all yucky. About 10” of penetration is plenty (that’s what SHE said). The mangled blades do their work as the deer runs away at Mach 1 - and if I find it, I post it on the bowsite.

• Sitka Gear