Boreal 06-May-22
Bearman 06-May-22
scentman 07-May-22
Zim 09-May-22
Kodiak 09-May-22
03-May-22

Bearman's embedded Photo
Bearman's embedded Photo
Got a story to tell. About (at the time) the P&Y world record whitetail. I started bowhunting when I was 12 I think. I knew zero people that did it. Dad bought a bow, arrows. He'd drop me off in the woods in the morning and pick me up after dark. (Drunk sometimes) lol. No treestands back then. 45 years ago. Anyway, when I was about 15_16, I caught wind that my great uncle Gilbert had shot a "HUGE"buck years ago. He only lived 20 miles away but was an extreme hermit and did not know him. Don't recall how but I had to meet him and hear/see that buck. I don't recall much of him telling me the how's about the hunt but he gave me the rack and brass plaque from the P&Y club. World record indeed.! Beautiful plaque by the way. My dad figgeted I stole it from him and made me give them back. I pleaded to him that Gilbert gave them to me but to no avail. I gave them back to him. About all I remember was Gilbert was "discussted" because of the publicity worldwide he had over that buck. Like I said, he was an extreme hermit. He could care less about a "big buck". As I got older, I met a guy that was in on that hunt. He was a young kid at the time. They were making drives along the Red River on the Minnesota side. Gilbert was a (poster) while some pushed the river bottom. This is about 2 miles south of Perley MN. The shot was in Norman County but was not a good hit and they trailed it along the riverbottom across County line into clay County. They got the buck turned back and killed it back in Norman. Rambling here I know (few beers) but he hated he publicity he got over that deer. He was a meat hunter. He had the rack/plaque hanging in his barn when it burnt down. Gone forever. He's long dead now and I regret not getting to know him better. One guy is still alive that was involved with that hunt but he's quit hunting (mid 80's). Gilbert also gave me the arrow he killed it with. Was a wood shaft with a WIDE 2 blade head. Still had dried blood on it. I shot a 8ackrabbit with it and it ran away. Never got it back. I'm typing this as I'm stranded at my cabin(flood) about 7 miles from where he killed that buck in 1953. I'd give both nutts to have that gorgeous brass plaque right now hanging above my head right now at my hunting cabin! For the written story, it's in Gordon Whittingtons book. "World Record Whitetails" page 110, "the MayTag Man" Lol, gotta add:, I wrote this because not everyone wants to be portrayed as a "big name".. Hope you enjoyed this ramble. Dammit, I actually OWENED the World Record Rack at one time.

03-May-22
Nice Story

03-May-22
Pretty neat family history. Thanks for sharing.

03-May-22
Hmmmm! Very interesting!!!

03-May-22
“few beers” lol.

Great story. Thanks for posting that!

04-May-22
Enjoyed that short story, thanks!

04-May-22
Cool story for sure! Yup could contact Pope and Young to see if maybe they could get you a replacement. Wonder if you could get someone to make a replica of the rack?

04-May-22
Thanks for sharing this history.

04-May-22
Cool story, but why would he get it scored, since he was an extreme hermit?

04-May-22
Great story, thanks for sharing it with us.

04-May-22
Thanks fellas. Good group here! Rattling Junkie, don't remember the details real well but I think it was Glenn St Charles that wrote Gilbert and offered to pay to have it shipped somewhere to get it scored. Vague memory of that though.

04-May-22
Great story, yup "couple beers" LOL. I remember my dad talking about some of the big bucks they used to shoot on the farm back in 50's & 60's (central MN). They always hunted for food - normally the antlers would go in the burn pile - occasionally they would hang one in the garage.

04-May-22
A good story is always worth sharing. Especially over a "few beers"! ;)

04-May-22
Bearman that's an awesome story thanks for sharing

04-May-22
Hey Scoot, I'm at my cabin now. Not to far from you. Hoping it dries up enough 2day so I can get out. Thanks guys .

04-May-22
Great story Bearman.

04-May-22
VERY cool story! Especially because he was one of your relatives. Thanks for sharing. You bring up some good points....................................I bet Mitch Rompolla wishes he wasn't "famous" now! ;-)

04-May-22
Pretty cool story. I have that book at home. I'll have to check it out.

04-May-22
Thanks fellas, Boreal, if you could, can you get and post a picture of the plaque? I borrowed my book to someone and it hasn't been returned and I forgot who it was. Lol.

04-May-22
Thanks RockyD. Scoot, I responded to you PM but I don't know if it went through?

04-May-22
Any chance you could post a better pic of the article so that we could read it?

04-May-22
If you want to meet some of these big names in person, better do it fast, they ain’t getting any younger. Many of them still attend Banquets and gatherings. Some of those mentioned attended the PBS Banquet in March, although for the first time neither Wensel twin was there. Since attending my first PBS banquet in 2000, I’ve been fortunate to meet some of the legends of bowhunting. If you can make it to the Compton’s Trad Rendezvous in MI in June, I know for sure that some of the big names mentioned will be there.

04-May-22

Boreal's embedded Photo
Boreal's embedded Photo
Here you go Bearman.

04-May-22
Hey Man, thanks a bunch! Is there not a pic of the plaque in that book? I borrowed mine out and can't remember who too? [Sigh] The rack aint nothing special score wise in today's standards but.... Dang I wish I still had the plaque. It was beautiful! Just drove within 1/2 mile from the kill site today. Kinda cool in a nostalgic kinda way.

04-May-22

Boreal's embedded Photo
Boreal's embedded Photo
No, there's no picture of the plaque. Other than the first one you posted, this is the only other picture of your uncles' buck in the story.

04-May-22
That last pic shows what a great buck it was. Great story, enjoyed it.

04-May-22
Tha ks so much Boreal! I do recall it dressed out at 268#. My dad's 82 now, think I'll go kick his ass for making me return it! Lol

06-May-22
That’s a real cool story. Thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity, what was the score of that buck?

06-May-22
Boreal, what'd it score?

06-May-22
164 3/8

06-May-22
Yep. 164. Thanks Boreal. Still, would sure like to have it back. He was such a recluse, if it wernt for me getting the book, I don't think anyone in my family would even know about it.

07-May-22
Great story Bear... what else could you do stranded in a hunting cabin but have a few beers reminiscing about a great hunt!

09-May-22
Nice old school read.

09-May-22

• Sitka Gear