Bearman 06-May-22
scentman 07-May-22
Boreal 07-May-22
odoylerules 07-May-22
Novembermadman 09-May-22
Mule Power 09-May-22
LBshooter 09-May-22
06-May-22
That calf was going to grow up to be a 400'' bull that going to leave the NP and a bowsiter was going to kill in several years. Agree that it awesome stuff though.

06-May-22
I don't know how to explain it but I have a crazy hatred for grizzly and wolves killing elk. I know it's natural and they are predators just like us hunters but, I get an urge to shoot the bear and wolf to protect that elk. I know I would then have no problem shooting that elk on my own in a few years. I look at the Bear and wolf like antis pry look at me. Am I crazy or do others get the same feeling watching the video?

06-May-22
I get the same feeling. I'd shoot the wolf and bear to protect the elk as well. Then in a few years I'd shoot the elk. I think that's a normal response from a hunter. As a hunter we are competing with other predators for our prey.

06-May-22
I’m guessing that elk is screwed. That bear isn’t giving up easily.

06-May-22
I'd say that calf didn't make it. Cruel at times to see nature at work, but we have to remember that humans are the apex hunter.

06-May-22
You thought you were having a bad day....first the wolf chases you into a raging river, thinking you got away......Then a frickin grizzly chases your azz miles down river.. :( It is amazing any elk survive past their first year.

06-May-22
That stretch of hiway is completely high fenced to keep animals off the road. The only crossings are river bridges and a couple of wildlife overpasses. The predators have learned wait there or to corner prey up against the fence.

06-May-22
"This is epic chit happening here"... cycle of life, but this dude was short of enjoying a bucket of popcorn watching that Elk run for his life... the laugher really annoyed me, probably Biden supporters...;0)

06-May-22
I am weird about that stuff too. that grizz can go get something else to eat.

06-May-22
In nature, all predators willingly kill other predators if given an opportunity. Human predators are no different. It’s natural to feel that way. No matter what dufas suggests otherwise. And, there is nothing wrong with it. Especially since we set at the head of the table by design.

06-May-22
Animals are like liberals. No matter how hard you try, you’ll never get them to think like humans!

06-May-22
“It is amazing any elk survive past their first year.”

Normally - which is to say “in an ecosystem not devoid of predators” - about half do. But it’s OK, because a cow‘s reproductive output compensates for that over time.

But there is nothing at all ”natural” about creating a high-fenced hunting operation for the wolves and bears to exploit. That’s no more “natural “ or “balanced” than having zero 4-legged predators…

06-May-22
I believe we all, believers in Jesus and nonbelievers, have an understanding that this is not how it’s supposed to be. But one day when Jesus returns and sets up His Kingdom there won’t be anymore pain, death, or suffering. But for now we kill and eat our kill. “And the wolf will dwell with the lamb, and the leopard will lie down with the kid, and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little boy will lead them. “ Isaiah 11:6

06-May-22
Scentman, I’m with you. I would have enjoyed pitching the bike boys ass off the bridge. Is that a bad thing ? ;-)

06-May-22
They only kill the sick and old thou right

06-May-22
Sick, old, young & weak. Or whatever provides an opportunity. Young ones are especially easy prey, which is why we humans get overprotective around our offspring.

I seem to recall that dogs have been found capable of sniffing out health conditions in humans and diagnosing diseases before people have any clue that they have an issue.

So just because an animal looks “healthy” to us doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s not weaker/more vulnerable than the next. Makes perfect sense that a cursorial predator would be able to catch wind of the short-winded, doesn’t it?

When prey species have evolved to have the odds in their favor against all but the fittest specimens of their predators, you can bet your butt that they predators have evolved the ability to detect the least fit among their prey. That’s not to say that the predators don’t get lucky sometimes, but as a rule, the evolutionarily stable strategy is to minimize their energy expenditure and risk on every attempt…. Only humans make it a point to take out the best specimens they can find.

06-May-22
Enjoy seeing nature at work. Happens million times a day worldwide.

07-May-22
Corax, you have a knack for explaining the natural order... and I totally agree about the fence, that is unnatural.

07-May-22
Smart wolf, knowing how this plays out, heads down river to wait for the exhausted elk calf.

07-May-22
They’re so “happy” watching this but would cry if a hunter was taking an animal.

09-May-22
Another death caused by Covid in elk!

09-May-22
If that calf died it was due in great part to the fact that it expended half it’s energy being chased down by a wolf. I don’t like unfair fights so I’m rooting for the elk. Hopefully the bear saw the wolf downstream and ate him instead!

09-May-22
Nature at it's finest, and it's like the movie Shane. You'll never know if he died or not. One can assume that death took place but your just not sure.

• Sitka Gear