Boreal 28-May-22
APauls 28-May-22
molsonarcher 30-May-22
APauls 30-May-22
Ambush 30-May-22
mooseslayer 01-Jun-22
Alexis Desjardins 02-Jun-22
08-May-22
Im going to attempt this semi live hunt thing. We are hunting with Sleeve Lake Outfitters in Manitoba. Myself and my dad are here for the week, and the first hunters in for the season. We are headed into camp today, currently about 5 hours away. Evan was gracious enough to offer us to hunt on our first evening in camp, which is not normally a hunt day. We are excited to say the least, and I will update as often ax i can.

08-May-22
Good luck.

08-May-22
Good luck!

08-May-22
Good Luck Evan and your guys this spring have a safe one.

08-May-22
Good luck..keep us posted!

08-May-22
We just got all settled in to camp. Everyone here on Evans crew is super nice. Getting teady to head to the stands shortly to take advantage of a gorgeous day and hopefully put a bear on the board.

08-May-22
Remember the old saying don’t kill on the first night what you would pass on the last night or something like that

08-May-22
Good luck! Hope to see some pics soon bud!

08-May-22
From the stand. The bait im sitting wasnt really hit last nite. There were some pretty rough winds and rain so maybe the bears here will be extra hungry tonite.

The bait pops is sitting at was pretty well hammered.

No bears seen yet, but man its good to be bear hunting again.

08-May-22
Following. Good luck!

09-May-22
Good luck, Matt!

09-May-22
Thanks guys. Back at camp now. Pretty uneventful evening for me. I only saw 1, last years cub.

We are tracking one pops hit tonight first thing tomorrow. I will update as soon as we confirm either way.

09-May-22
Good luck on the recovery, hoping to see some hero pics tomorrow!

09-May-22
Good luck! Just under 2 weeks and we are headed north also. Can't wait!

09-May-22
Good luck! Hope the bear has been recovered!

09-May-22
Good luck!

09-May-22
Good luck guys! I hope you found you found the bear this morning.

09-May-22
Did pops hear or listen for a death moan? Hope he gets a recovery.

09-May-22
Hoping for the best. The overnight wait sucks, but is sometimes necessary.

10-May-22
did pops did find the bear

10-May-22
After a bunch of looking on all of our parts, we did not recover the bear. We didnt have much to go on for a bloodtrail, but did find a bed with some blood in it. We could not find any further sign to indicate which direction he headed after several hours of searching.

10-May-22
Good luck Matt. I am sure your dad is bummed but it happens to everybody at some point. Have fun!!

10-May-22
Yes it’s tough losing them for all parties especially with this late spring with slow bear movement.

10-May-22
Yeah, it sucks to loose an animal but always keep in mind that nothing goes to waste in nature. Your dads loss is another creatures gain. Keep the faith.

10-May-22
Bummer, but agree with the others. It does happen and will not go to waste. Best wishes going forward!

10-May-22
Thanks guys. I can tell you that the crew here did everything they could to help us make a bad situation better, and we feel confident that wherever this bear is, he is unrecoverable. We were thorough and spent plenty of time in the pursuit of the bear. Everything was handled first class and these guys know their stuff.

10-May-22
Curious if he used a mechanical. Those things are money on bears even with marginal hits particularly if the shot is back.

10-May-22
How about a tracking dog? Are they allowed?

10-May-22
No tracking dogs allowed here. It was a mech, but not alot of penetration due to an unseen branch deflecting the arrow.

11-May-22
We had a decent break in the weather yesterday, and I saw 1 small bear last evening. Hoping for a better sit this evening. These guys are working their tails off for trying to get on bears that will cooperate.

13-May-22
How did the rest of the hunt go?

13-May-22
This is like a Connecticut live hunt.

13-May-22
Looks like the bears are not that active yet because of the late snow. I believe some outfitters in MB do not have hunters until next week?

Last time I hunted there I had 9 different bears visit the bait site I was on the first night. Can’t wait to get back!

13-May-22
Very cool! Keep the updates coming. Sucks losing an animal but it happens.

13-May-22
Well its been a grind guys. I havent seen a bear the last 2 nites. They are going to move me to a new spot for tonight and hopefully my luck changes.

Its not for lack of trying. This is my 3rd bear hunt, first time here, and ive never seen anything like it.

The bears are very inconsistent on the baits, and it seems like as soon as we show up to hunt them they vanish.

Spring is very late this year, and i dont think the bears are comfortable at the baits yet. The weather is not helping. Its been really windy, rainy, and we havent hardly seen the sun all week.

We are giving it all we got, and these guys are humping it every day trying to make it work, so i have no complaints. No one can control the bears but we are hoping one slips up tonite.

13-May-22
Hang in there, it will happen!

13-May-22
Keep after em and best of luck!

13-May-22
I’ve seen it happen last hour of the last day.

13-May-22
We are hoping that it does for sure today. Staying positive and trying a new site.

The guys coming in the next few weeks will have it pretty good with all the work these guys are putting in. The miles are racking up and there are more bears out everyday.

13-May-22
It’s gonna happen hang in there bud. Ignore bous bs comment.

13-May-22
Good luck!

13-May-22
Late spring up here this year, I feel for the outfitters and their clients

14-May-22
Well guys we tried like hell. I sat last nite in 20-40mph wind No bears were seen again

14-May-22
Wow. Sounds more like a lower 48 hunt than a Canadian hunt. Bummer

14-May-22
Unfortunately it don’t always go as planned. But you still got to enjoy a week hunting in Canada with your old man! A couple bears woulda been nice but still time well spent

14-May-22
From what I've seen/heard it's been a slow spring up there with no shortage of weather related issues. Tag sandwiches are hard to swallow but it was time well spent and that's what will be remembered.

14-May-22
Sometimes it is more about the time spent with friends and family than the actual kill. (a little frosting on the cake is always good too, tho)

14-May-22
How many hunters saw how many bears over the course of the week. Don’t hear many reports like this out of western Canada.

14-May-22
Many areas in Manitoba are having same issues this year.

14-May-22
Steve is spot on I am betting. Been up 5 years in a row before Covid and have been keeping an eye on the weather reports up there. Based on that, I expected a slow start and the risk of late weather keeping the bears denned up is why we always try for the last week in May. Some outfitters had to move hunters from the first week because of all the late snow.

What really sucks is having perfect weather in the perfect week and no hunters in camp seeing or harvesting bears due to an outfitter who just wanted your money. That’s not these guys!

14-May-22
I had a year like that in 2008 in Manitoba. Was a small fly in camp, with late spring and ice out. The outfitter pushed us back 2 or 3 weeks, I can’t remember for sure. When we finally got there, 6 guys in camp, and very few bears seen. I think 3 bears were seen all week. I was wounded and lost, 1 maybe 200# rifle shot, and I shot the only bear I saw the last night and we estimated his weight at 175#. We freshened the bait that morning and saw no sign of it being hit, so we went fishing and came back that afternoon to sit. There was fresh scat ( looked like a bad case of the runs) so we figured he was fresh out of hibernation. Sometimes the weather just treats you wrong.

14-May-22
Pops and i enjoyed ourselves even though we arent bringing home a bear. The guides did their jobs exceptionally well, but the bears didnt cooperate. The weather conditions were a far cry from ideal. We had more rain and wind than any other hunt ive been on to date. We only saw the sun briefly on 2 days. Definitely not ideal bear hunting weather. The main goal was to spend time with pops and we did that. No one can control the weather or the animals, and we are going back next year.

To the haters and people who werent in camp to experience it, take your siht elsewhere. You have no valid input and no reason to judge anyone since you werent there and didnt deal with the conditions we had.

14-May-22
Well put Matt

14-May-22
Thanks for the call Matt. We will try and make it happen at the same week next year at Sleeve Lake.

Robin will be in Columbus in June and I might be joining her later in Cleveland. I will let you know.

I will update this thread with Mike and mine hunts. Sorry it wasn’t better weather for you! Great attitude, and I expected nothing less than the efforts the team gave you. Thanks for sharing!

14-May-22
Good try bud. Really feel for MB Outfitters. Couple years of expenses and no clients and they finally get to go and have the worst winter/spring practically in recorded history.

14-May-22
Never had good hunting for bears in bad weather. Always enjoy the hunt/trip. The effort is always toward being successful but it doesn’t always work out that way. Next year! Thanks for the write up.

15-May-22
Good job Matt some people r having a bad day if they don’t have something negative to say.

15-May-22
Weather definitely plays a role in bear hunting. Can't control it. You have a great attitude.

15-May-22
Thanks guys. Alexis i hope your hunters coming in have a great hunt. Its definitely a tough spring and not the norm. Attitude is everything on a hunt no matter how it goes. I appreciate all the good comments from you guys.

Habitat will pick this thread up in a few weeks when he gets into camp and i am confident he will have a more normal hunt to share.

I cant wait to get back there next year and hope Franks crew saves a few good ones for us.

15-May-22

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
You are all class Matt!

We are getting excited. Built a dozen arrows today, Mike is coming over later this week to shoot together at my 3D bear target. Already eyeing the long term weather forecast. It might still be ugly!

16-May-22
Frank no worries! You guys will do fine! The weather has to improve. Mother nature cant stay cruel forever.

16-May-22
Molsonarcher, just in case you were referring to me as a "hater", I assure you I am not. I know SLO is a reputable place. I am just shocked that after 2 years of limited pressure that the hunt was that difficult. I don't blame the outfitter. It just reminded me of some lower 48 hunts where it is a struggle every time. Most of the western Canadian hunts I have had were slam dunks. I know weather can be a huge factor, I just figured it would be a feeding frenzy at each baitsite.

16-May-22
Ryan we thought the same thing. Ive never hunted in worse weather, or had so many inclement days on a week long hunt. There were still quite a few patches of snow around for the first few days we were there. If we were a day or 2 sooner i think it would have been different with the pictures we saw, but still would have had a bunch of weather to deal with, and only a few good days of hunting. I will not name any outfitter specifically, but i know while we were there 2 other camps sent all their hunters home without bears. At least my dad had a chance at a very good bear, and we enjoyed our time together and booked again for next year. I feel for all the outfitters up there this year. Having to move hunter for the first few weeks to next year even after they were booked for 2020. Not being able to get into the baits on time and get them going early hurt alot of them.

17-May-22
Worst spring ever for bear hunting, its still cold, bears aren't very active at all yet, it can only get better

17-May-22
I feel like when the switch clicks…..it’s gonna be non stop action

17-May-22
I'm headed up to Alberta on Sunday. Highs look to be close to 60 with lows around 40; hopefully it will be a good week. Sorry to her about the weather and other challenges after waiting 2+ years.

19-May-22

The long range weather forecast is looking very wet! Man, these guys need a break!!

Just got my new bow going up with me, a Hoyt RX7 Ultra in ugly green. Shoots 270 fps at 60 lbs. with 390 grain arrows. It is the sweetest shooting bow I have owned. This is the first 5 shot group at 15 yards with broadheads. The 60 feels so much better on the shoulders.

19-May-22
Nice shooting! Although I've been bowhting for 45 year, I've never been a great shot..

20-May-22
Black bears don't like rain, here in northern BC anyway. They just hunker down under a big spruce and snooze. But if it's been raining all night and then the sun comes out, it's golden!!

Late spring here too, with wetter, cooler temps than normal. The bears are out, but the numbers were down. Should really ramp up this week.

23-May-22
Thanks Bearman, but I am an average shooter at best sir.

Evan is really trying to take care of us. We are driving up Thursday and will start hunting Friday. He is trying to get us in ahead of all the rain predicted for next week, and the bears are finally hitting the baits hard.

Gear is packed, ArriveCan apps completed and we are excited!

This is Mike’s first ever bear hunt, and though he has traveled the world extensively, this is his first recreation trip into Canada. For me at least, there is something really special about heading north. I did at least 6 fly-in fishing trips with a good friend who has since passed away. I miss him dearly!

This will be special for me. I retire next May 31st so I am more relaxed about this trip than any previous ones. Praying for a safe, fun trip and asking for a couple of bears as well.

23-May-22
Waiting not so patiently to folliw along Frank. Also next year cant get here fast enuf!

23-May-22

Habitat for Wildlife's Link
Matt,

I can hardly wait. Both bows I am taking are sighted in, the link is where I compared them. I know the crew is working hard to make this a success!

23-May-22

26-May-22

Loaded down and north bound at 12:30 AM.

26-May-22
Safe travels and good luck on stand Frank! A big bear awaits.

Maybe start a new thread?

26-May-22
Thanks Rod. Matt, OP, said to keep it here.

Less than two hours from the border.

26-May-22
In Canada at noon.

26-May-22
We should get a Santa Tracker like they do each year around Christmas! But for Frank!

27-May-22
FYI, the border crossing was easy. Had to present passport and IDs, asked what we were coming in for, what weapons we had, the last time we visited Canada, then told to have a good stay.

It is Friday morning, we are rested. Will prepare for afternoon hunt. This is the only day for the next 5 with no rain forecasted. Flooding locally closed down route 75 south of Winnipeg adding an extra hour to our trip. Fields are flooded everywhere and this has had a huge impact on baiting and access.

Easy to understand the very challenging season they have had up here!

27-May-22
WOW! 2 years of COVID, now late snows and flooding...........................................I feel for all the outfitters struggling to make a living up there!

Well, make the best of it and hope you have some good luck!

27-May-22
Shoot a monster Frank! I know they are there, and you are going to have a great time.

28-May-22

Thanks guys!

The weather was great today, no rain. Everyone saw bears. I was fortunate to take a boar on the first night. This guy was around me for over an hour total combined time on two visits, 3 hours apart. He presented no shot opportunity the first time.

Sleeve Lake rocks! Thanks Evan and crew!!

Hopefully Mike will get it done before Anita’s first rate food causes more weight gain. Her cooking is delicious!

28-May-22
Congrats Frank! Great bear. Good luck to Mike!

28-May-22

28-May-22
Nice bear. Congrats! What did it weigh?

28-May-22
Thank you. He is only 148 but I am happy. They have pictures of an absolute monster on this bait and on the one Mike was sitting. Mike had a bigger one than this one come in and he passed on it.

Here is a picture of Evan, David and Cyril with my bear. They could not be more complimentary or helpful in getting the bear from woods to freezer.

Weather is much colder today with light rain. Everyone is back on stand.

Edit: picture would not load.

28-May-22
I have a number of good friends run outfits in MB. Man the giants have been falling this past little bit.

Best friend was guiding this past week his three clients shot 6’8” 6’11” and 7’2” bears weighed 300,360,380lbs. Great bears. Group went 6/6 which is a rarity because seems like half the guys that end up in camp wound and lose bears.

28-May-22
A nice one fell here today, a hunter from Australia took a rather large sow.

29-May-22
Mike had three bears visit yesterday. One climbed his stand and he had to kick him in the nose.

An absolute monster came in at last legal shooting light, but Mike elected not to shoot for fear of only wounding him. They have pictures of this bear at the same site several days in a row, he is huge and Mike is going back to the same stand today.

30-May-22
Two bears taken tonight. Mike took the monster he passed on yesterday!! Evan thinks he will push close to an honest 400.

A young new hunter, 17 year old Hunter took a nice bear 170 lbs.or so with his father in stand by his side.

Congratulations to two first time bear hunters on clean harvests with recoveries of 60 yards or less. Will try and post pictures tomorrow.

30-May-22
Way to go Mike! Now hurry up and show us already!

30-May-22
Congrats Frank! Hope you guys are having fun up there as I imagine you are.

30-May-22

17 year old hunter with his 247 lbs. boar!

30-May-22

Hunter with his father Paul.

We are having a great time, a good bunch of folks with a good crew. Thanks.

30-May-22

Mike’s brute.

30-May-22

30-May-22
Congrats Frank! No sense putting it off to the last minute.

Now you can relax and enjoy the camp life of the tagged out.

31-May-22
Major down pours and high winds yesterday kept bear activity to a minimum. The last three hunters saw a total of only 5 bears between them.

Mike and I are getting ready to head out at 5:30 this morning. Thanks for following along, and thank you Sleeve Lake for a wonderful experience, again!

31-May-22
Home at 8:15 PM.

Above, they saw 5 bears yesterday, but numerous bears on their first sit.

01-Jun-22

Another giant fell at SLO. Paul shot a monster yesterday afternoon. Congrats Paul!

01-Jun-22
Great bear Paul, and a beautiful coat no less!!

02-Jun-22
Nice bears guys.

• Sitka Gear