Joey Ward 11-May-22
4nolz@work 11-May-22
4nolz@work 11-May-22
Pop-r 12-May-22
Beendare 12-May-22
10-May-22

KsRancher's embedded Photo
KsRancher's embedded Photo
I am in south central Ks. What kind of tick is this? It is really small and is all a blackish/brownish color with 4 small white spot spaced evenly along it's very far back.

I had rmsf 14yrs ago and WOW it was horrible. I had never heard of it before and I let it go way to long before going to the Dr. I am usually good at feeling them crawling on me and them not getting attached. But this one was stuck good.

10-May-22
Looks like a male deer tick

10-May-22
I would google tick identification! Then I would call my doctor and tell them you had a tick dug in. they can prescribe medication to prevent illness. It may sound like an overreaction, but I know a lot of people that have got really sick from ticks, and my buddies wife died from Lymes disease!

10-May-22
^Thanks. I almost wore out Google and couldn't find any that had the 4 white spots along it's far back. I will look up the deer tick and see if and what they carry.

10-May-22

DanaC's Link
Looks like a Lone Star Tick, as much from the body shape as color.

10-May-22

DanaC's Link
https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/rare-tick-disease-found-in-payne-county/article_14ee1140-04f2-11e5-966e-6b24d85953ee.html

10-May-22
Male Lone Star tick. Guaranteed.

10-May-22

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo

10-May-22
THATS IT!! Thanks Dana.

10-May-22
Last one that bit me in SC Kansas was kind enough to pass along Tularemia, be careful. Never been so sick in my life.

10-May-22
That’s the 7 legged subspecies of the Lone Star tick.

10-May-22
Be careful with the lone star tick. A bite from it can cause people to get alpha gal syndrome which causes them to be allergic to red meat or other foods that use animal bi products. I know someone who got it a year ago and it's changed her & her husbands life. Even the fumes from cooking red meat causes her to have a major reaction. Let your doctor know if you start getting sick after eating red meat.

10-May-22
Aint a deer tick.

10-May-22
59 can you get that without a prescription?

10-May-22
These damn things are making me want to not hunt. It’s so bad here they are around all year long it doesn’t matter if it’s 30 degrees out. How many diseases we up to about 20?

10-May-22
Check out Kris Newby's book, "Bitten - the secret history of Lyme disease and biological weapons". Really scary stuff. She also produced the Oscar nominated documentary on Lyme disease called "Under Our Skin".

10-May-22
You can if you live close to the Mexican border. Otherwise you will need a prescription

11-May-22
Take heed to the "stay out of the sun warning" on Doxycilin if they haven't changed anything. And I'm in no way saying don't take it.

11-May-22
Only entering the woods in the springtime with a permethrin treated suit. Be very dedicated once the suit is off to check for ticks, nymphs and larvae. No matter where you are.

11-May-22
You can get doxy without a prescription from canada, india, etc. As Hawkeye mentioned, you're not supposed to take it in the summertime if you spend time outdoors as it makes you sensitive to the sunlight... skin and eyes mostly. I can vouch for that. I have taken it in the summer, I'm just more careful about sun exposure now. If I wanted to ensure I didn't get infected immediately following a tick bite, I'd take doxy, or a good 'summertime substitute' for at least 10 to 14 days. Taking it for one day? Might as well take a jelly bean imo. Trust me, it's not worth the risk.

11-May-22
As Tony said --- permethrin or at least a good bug spray with high Deet content sprayed liberally on your clothes.

11-May-22
As said above , also take off your hunting clothes after each hunt at the car and shake them out. I spray heavy every piece of clothing and always take hunting clothes. Also, always run fingers through hair and shake. So far so good. Would hate to get that illness in which you can't eat red meat. And leave the possums alone, let them live, it's amazing how many ticks they can consume.

11-May-22
I won’t go in the woods except in winter with clothes not treated with permethrin. This morning I sprayed the clothes that I will be using on a Wy prairie dog shoot next week. Have not had a tick on me in years. I hate them sobs.

11-May-22
Wow....I'd never get anything done outside if I had to wear as much cream, spray, clothes, boots as some of y'all do worrying about ticks. They are just part of the outdoors down south. Bathe well, pick 'em off, move on.

Oh...and take 1 Flintstone vitamin every day. ;-)

11-May-22
This is a link url to an article on lone star/alpha gal

11-May-22
https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2022/05/08/lone-star-tick-bites-prevalent-missouri-can-cause-alpha-gal-meat-allergy-how-prevent-bites-deet/9679851002/

12-May-22
The same kind that we sometimes have hundreds a day of them on us. Certain areas are infested wirh them.

12-May-22
FWIW, This tick stuff is no joke. I have a Hunting Guide friend that has neurological problems and they traced it to a tick bite from 10 or 12 years ago.

• Sitka Gear