Razorsharp123 19-May-22
Razorsharp123 19-May-22
Pete-pec 19-May-22
Ace 19-May-22
Ron Niziolek 19-May-22
orionsbrother 22-May-22
WV Mountaineer 22-May-22
19-May-22
Courtesy of the pandemic, supply chain and some other circumstances, I’m now working in a new place. Good group of people, but a cross section of urban populace. Not one single hunter.

As we are getting to know each other, I’m answering questions and trying to contradict the urban “profile” or stereotypical pop culture portrayal of hunters.

One of the guys was talking about his dog, a large breed puppy, that quickly destroys any chew toys. I mentioned that elk antlers make pretty good, long lasting chews. He was interested. I said I could use some for my wife’s puppies too.

My buddies were out of sheds, so I reached out here on Bowsite. Ike was the first to respond and was very generous so we worked out a deal. Several other guys were kind enough to offer as well.

Ike shipped the antler pieces to my coworker at work. There was an entertaining level of interest in the box by all of the employees. Almost everyone had to handle the antler pieces and ask questions. We divided them up, giving some pieces to another guy with a dog.

Everyone was impressed that a check was sent to Ike to cover the shipping and more than he had requested and there was still savings compared to PetSmart… because of a website called Bowsite. I told them it was a pretty good deal for everybody except PetSmart.

I had been in a mood to make some of my chili and thought I’d take the opportunity to have multiple beneficial impacts.

These “concrete walkers” were expressing interest in hunting. It’s never bad for an “FNG” to offer up some food. I felt like making chili. The grocery store finally had habaneros.

I made a large batch of elk and whitetail chili and brought it to work.

It went over very well. Lots of questions. Lots of interest the process. A Middle Eastern guy couldn’t get over the fact that the meat in his bowl of chili had been packed out in my backpack. One of the design ladies commented that her “mind was blown” by how good it was and that she’d never look at a deer the same again.

I just kind of let it run its course. None had ever eaten any venison before. The adventurous tried some and made the pitch to the hesitant. “You gotta try this stuff!!”

Only one guy had one bowl. Everyone else went back for more.

It’s not going to change the world, but Ike’s elk antler pieces and some chili may have helped alter some misconceptions about hunters. We might’ve scored some points.

It doesn’t always work this way, but it’s worth trying.

Short bloodtrails!!

19-May-22
Thanks!

19-May-22
Good work!

19-May-22
Excellent, you done real good!! Thanks.

19-May-22
Well done, Rick!

"Baby steps" ;^)

19-May-22
Fantastic. Good stuff guys

19-May-22
Nice, well done!! A few points are always better than no points.

19-May-22
Some folks just don't love good chili. ;l-)

Well done.

19-May-22
Mmm….chili….I’m making chili this weekend

19-May-22
When I was in an office location, for years each spring I would take 30-40 pounds of burger to a local smokehouse and have a variety of things made. When I got it back I would bring in a large tray of the various meats, summer bologna, german frankfurter, ring bologna, sweet sticks, hot sticks and coworkers would bring in crackers, mustards and sharp cheese. I would be sure to cut everything into bite sized pieces so if they didn't like it there wasn't much waste. This went over very well with a lot of people trying venison who had never had it before. Some would not but for the most part all would at least try it. It was so popular that even today, if I stop in, people ask if I am bringing it in. I've done chili too and taht was also a big hit. Any way we can spread the joy of venison also provides a positive view from those on the fence about hunting.

19-May-22
Outstanding all the way around. Kudos Rick and Ike!

I like to be happy. Reading and hearing about good things makes me happy. I'm a pretty simple fella.

19-May-22
This made me smile. Nice work, Rick!

19-May-22
Good job! I used to bring in some kind of venison dish to our Christmas party “potluck”. Everyone at work knew I was a hunter and I would try to bring something different each year. Usually somebody would ask- “what animal did you bring this year!” ;-)

Everyone enjoyed it except the vegetarian...................but after seeing everyone enjoying it over the years, and me explaining that everything I kill gets eaten or put to use, she came to accept hunting.

19-May-22
I like to believe most folks are reasonable, and when you do something positive and constructive like above, it really has a good outcome. Great job going out of your way to spread a positive light on hunters and hunting!

19-May-22
Nice job Rick..

19-May-22
Great job guys!!

19-May-22
Awesome work and fun to read! Good job man!

19-May-22
Great job promoting hunting and educating those people. Many people who don’t hunt are only exposed to the “Cecil the Lion” trophy hunting crap that the antis spew. I find most of the “Outdoor Programming” on TV today does more harm than good.

19-May-22
Says a lot that you would take the time and interest to introduce them into your world... made me smile also, nice gesture.

19-May-22
Nice work!

19-May-22
Great story!

I do the same thing here with friends in a huge metro area. Everyone is always surprised that venison doesn't taste gamey (or whatever they imagined in their heads).

As you said it will not change the world, but it will change a few minds at a time.

19-May-22

19-May-22
I was waiting for the finish: Then the guy says well I've got 200 wooded acres full of deer. Would you mind taking me hunting if I let you hunt there?

19-May-22
Nice job Rick! Tasty food is always a great way to start a few conversations and maybe begin to change some minds. a Sportsmen's Advocacy group I'm involved with has a Game Tasting we do at the (state) Capital (well when Covid doesn't have it closed).

Also, when I teach a Firearms or Bow Hunting Certification class, we have cooked Venison chili, or Bear Hotdogs, Moose Stew, or Pheasant Marsala for people to taste. Even though this group is much more hunter friendly, we still have a lot of people saying things like "wow I never knew bear tasted that good". Use the phrase: "Field to Table" and you'll attract the attention of some who never would have paid attention otherwise.

We should Never miss an opportunity to paint hunters in a positive light. My Girlfriend has her own medical practice, she put her full mount bear right in the waiting room. That gets a lot of comments and starts a LOT of conversations. We recently hung up my Moose shoulder mount, and brought in a mounted pheasant. What surprises a lot of people is that we have had almost no negative response, despite the fact that all of this occurs in a suburb of NYC, in a very liberal area. SPREAD THE WORD!

19-May-22
Good on you, Rick!

22-May-22
Yeah, like Ace said. Spread the word.

I’m not changing the world. I get it. But especially those of us that live in urban, non hunting environments… if we can counteract the Anti crowd in our corner of the world, maybe we can shift perception a little.

Have fun!!

22-May-22
This is why hunting persists. Most aren’t against it until given enough reasons to be. So, it helps to reinforce its value by showing and sharing with people the most obvious rewards of doing so.

You won a few for the home team Rick.

• Sitka Gear