Mad Trapper 20-May-22
Quick Draw 1 20-May-22
kota-man 20-May-22
Ramhunter 20-May-22
Mathewsphone 21-May-22
Ramhunter 11-Jun-22
Ned mobile 11-Jun-22
19-May-22
I was very lucky and drew a Bighorn Ram tag here in Colorado this year for unit S-6 which is Pikes Peak. The sheep rut above treeline from 12,000 up to 14,000 feet. The hunt runs from November 10th to the 30th. The wind howls on Pikes Peak, so it is going to be cold!

I have all the gear I need for the hunt except for boots. I wear uninsulated Kenetrek Mountain Extremes today for all my Colorado hunts, but being archery only most of my hunting is in mild temperatures in September.

While I may have snow or not, I think this hunt may be similar to what many of you have experienced in Alberta on your Canmore hunts.

My question is, what boots and how much insulation have you used during these cold sheep hunts in Alberta?

Thanks, Todd

20-May-22
I used Kenetrek Mountain Extremes in 1000 gram and they worked well (but then again I got lucky and killed in the first 1 1/2 hours:)).

Seriously that’s the boot I use for super cold mountain hunts as crampons can easily be added.

Mark

20-May-22
If shopping for new boots, Look into either hard plastic, nylon or leather mountaineering boots with a removable liner. Scarpa, LaSportiva ETC

20-May-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo

20-May-22

I’ve owned and used the LaSportiva Spantik and loved them. Plus after the hunt you can join the band KISS with these boots :>)) All joking aside their great mountain boots. Scarpa makes a good boot in black.

20-May-22
Same as Mark Waktins. Hunted Dall sheep in AK twice in October. Kept my feet dry and warm.

20-May-22
Don’t listen to Mark. He didn’t hunt long enough to even get his boots wet. I am ashamed to admit that I spent a total of 39 days over 3 hunts in Canmore. One hunt we had temperatures dip into the minus twenty degrees F. I used the kennetrek mountain extremes with 1000 grams of thinsulate. Also took schnees pack boots with replaceable liners for the long sits. Changed the liners everyday to give them a chance to dry. I was suprised how well you can hike in them. But we were hiking in over a foot of snow. The guide wore them as well. Good luck on your hunt.

20-May-22
Another vote for Schnees pack boots, with replaceable liners, from the Canmore hunt. In fact, I was moving a pair of boots this weekend in the garage, and my wife asked "what's in that big box?" And I told her it was my Schnees pack boots that I'll need again on my repeat trip to Canmore. I kindly told her I was not throwing them out, or taking them to the Serving Center. That being said, I never had to travel really long distances in them, as I had another pair of boots for the long hike in. I mostly wore them for long sits in brutal cold. Depending on what your camping/pack-in situation is, having two pairs' of boots might not be an option. This past October, I bowhunted mountain goat in Colorado over 13,000 feet, in the snow, using Meindl Comfort Fit 400's. For later November, I would think you'd want to push that 400 up to 1,000.

20-May-22
X3 on the Schnees Hunter 2 pac boot. I have the 16” and prefer them to my Kenetrek’s. The removable liner is a huge advantage to keeping your feet dry and warm.

20-May-22
Mark shot his ram in crocs. ;)

20-May-22
Thank you all for your input. I’m pretty sold on my Kenetrek Extremes. I have theGrizzly pac boot, but can’t imagine that in the rocks I’ll be in.

Was really debating between 400 and 1000 thinsulate, and this input has nudged me towards the 1,000 - so thank you all very much!

Ramhunter

21-May-22
T - I love my kenntrek 800 .My feet don't get cold socks is where it is at . You know it's going to be 60 here in colo in Nov if you need help call

11-Jun-22
Thanks Brandon, I appreciate it!

11-Jun-22
I wore kenetrek 1000 no problem

• Sitka Gear