Bowfreak 19-Jun-22
11-Jun-22
Reps in this morning before it got to 90…I hate summer! Lol

11-Jun-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
No sounds nice it is 98 current in North CO

11-Jun-22
Shot early, while it was still cloudy. 3D tomorrow. 70's today & tomorrow, 80's next week. Still Spring here ;-)

11-Jun-22
F' me John in Greely?!? Damn...

11-Jun-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Technically it is in Greeley. Now it is 100

11-Jun-22
At about 1:30 pm, I had 102 on my home weather station here in Loveland.

11-Jun-22
Yes, only 90 in the shade.

11-Jun-22
Yep, started shooting before 6 this morning to beat the heat and wind. At least it’s much cooler here in Cheyenne. We topped out at only 92 and it’s all the way down to 90 now.

11-Jun-22
Shot a dozen arrows or so after work. Temps in the low 80's here in northern Ohio. Waiting for the Wyoming antelope draw results.

11-Jun-22

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Yesterday, 25 yards, broadheads, Hoyt Defiant Pro.

11-Jun-22
Nice group.^^^^^

11-Jun-22
I usually shoot 2 or 3 times in the entire summer, then make sure bow is still sighted in before I go hunt.

11-Jun-22
I shot at 7am this morning. Believe the temp was about 70. I shoot almost every day, getting ready for elk in September.

11-Jun-22
Not today. I was up at 4 am trying to get a start on getting things done before it got hot. I haven’t shot my compound in about a year. Mostly my longbow a couple of times a week. Not that big of a deal when a guy doesn’t draw tags or bow hunt maybe once every 5 years.

11-Jun-22
Yep. Gotta get up at 6 to beat the heat, but I shoot 3 or 4 times a week. Think it's 104 here today. Just put my new string on the bow. Getting everything dialed back in.

11-Jun-22
No. Haven't shot since 2017. Maybe a little in 2018 but can't remember.

11-Jun-22
62 and cloudy in the UP today,,,, Was in WI today, I think it was about 75,,,,,,, Yes I shoot all the time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I do not get excited shooting my compound, but I like it,,, have a new long bow coming, and I get excited about that

11-Jun-22
100 target sporting clays early then to the bay until 1pm to fish

And home just in time to see the temps spike

11-Jun-22
No shooting today. Doing battle with buckthorn. And poison ivy. Busted it hard all day. Just took a good shower to clean off any urishiol. Gotta pick bits of thorns out of my fingers, hands and forearms. Then fire up the grill and pull a beer or three out of the ice in the cooler. My 3D elk target is lying in the horseshoe pit right now.

I am REALLY glad that it’s not 100* here.

Sorry to let you down Ike. More work on Maggie’s farm tomorrow, but I should get some shooting in. Dogs are digging the elk antlers. The non-hunting guy at work is still talking about you sending them out. Thanks again.

11-Jun-22
Nice Frank, I shoot the same Bow…Actually have the Pro and Carbon Defiant, love ‘em!

11-Jun-22

BC's embedded Photo
BC's embedded Photo
Try to shoot a few everyday when grilling.

11-Jun-22
Thanks guys. Just think what I could have done with my eyes open:-)

FYI, before my bear trip I was shooting poorly, with the Pro and regular Defiant. I convinced myself I needed a new bow. (Wasn’t that difficult really.)

The problem was me. Since back surgery 6 years ago I sometimes get into poor posture when experiencing some unusual discomfort which affects my head alignment. Once I figured this out and took a couple of aspirins 30 minutes before shooting, my form came back. I shot this bow yesterday to prove to myself it was me.

I know most of you guys are pros compared to me, but for the guys who just read and never post, making sure you have the basics down and repeating them really will help get your arrows where you want them. At 63 you would think I would have this figured out, but I am still learning!

11-Jun-22
Dropped my bow off at shop for limb change. Then summer regiment will start.

11-Jun-22
Yup. Shot a 3D today. We have courses called Known Fifty that you can use a range finder with shots out to seventy plus yards. Some real bugger shots through brush and around trees. Tons of fun!

11-Jun-22

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
Yes

11-Jun-22
Wow!! Good looking bear!!

11-Jun-22
I worked today, with the heat here in LA, lower Alabama, I was too burnt out to shoot ...lol Congratulations on the bear!

11-Jun-22
Just showin’ off there, eh, Embry??

Not allowed. Full story required on that one!!!

I did shoot. Finished with an end that had 11 outta 13 inside the width of a 65cm NFAA bullseye from 68… one X that hit the X; 3 no wider than the 5-ring, 3 3s and 5 4s.

Still working on consistency with the elevation.

Felt pretty good. Haven’t been shooting as much post-op.

11-Jun-22
Nice...

11-Jun-22
Nice bear.

Epic crappie fishing today for me. Might shoot tomorrow.

11-Jun-22
I haven’t shot since I killed my elk last September. So many other things in life to do

12-Jun-22
"At 63 you would think I would have this figured out..."

At 68 the only thing I've figured out is that if I don't shoot 3-4 times a week my shooting turns to buckshot in a cylinder choke.

Back in my compound days I could pick up the bow in mid August and be hunt ready come October. Doesn't work that way with a recurve.

PS TEmbry, that is a *beast*! Congratulations!

12-Jun-22
Some time ago I practiced so much that I believe caused my " target panic", so I have backed off, only shoot minimaly and just near season... I limit my shots at game to 20 or so yards.

12-Jun-22
Yes. Still cold and raining in MT though. I can't believe the high temps in CO. Crazy

12-Jun-22

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Nice bear -

12-Jun-22
Just shot about 60 arrows this morn. About 65 degrees and no wind. It was perfect, the weather, not my shooting.

12-Jun-22
Been shooting most days, one arrow at 20,30,40,50 and 60 with broadheads. If all is well I stop if any one is not good I pull that arrow and shoot it from the distance it was first shot at. Funny a lot of times its my 30 yard arrow. Shawn

12-Jun-22
DanaC, you're right about that..I have to practice year round

12-Jun-22

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Shooting with a legend...

...and Bodie Turner's dad. ;-)

12-Jun-22
Got humbled this morning, started out okay but ran out of gas on the second loop. We shot (recurves) mostly from the 'hunter' compound stakes to get ready for next weeks' ASA shoot. Will be doing a lot of extra-distance practice this week. Probably get creamed anyway. ;-)

12-Jun-22
Been shooting everyday since May when turkey season was open here in NJ/NY area. Just switched broadheads to Slick Trick 125 4 blade, so I've only been shooting the broadheads for the last week to make sure they are flying well and sighted in. All good so far. Hoyt Carbon Defiant 34.

12-Jun-22
"Shoot ASA barebow, then you can take a rangefinder to lean on. Like all the kickstanders. "

My buddy shoots that style. I can usually guess within a yard or two anyway. But I don't gap or stringwalk so the information isn't so useful. It's either 'comfortable' or 'a long one'. I miss IBO where I could shoot 'senior trad' and not have targets past 25 yard ;-)

12-Jun-22
Why do so many guys put emphasis on posture and form? Standing on a narrow lock-on stand, stalking a buck, or perched on a limb, my form is never ideal. In fact, I don't even think about it. Especially if the buck just appears out of the cedars in bow range like the last two have. Years ago, I had to stay at full draw as a buck walked and stared at me as I maneuvered the drawn bow back and around the tree trunk in my face. My experience hunting with compounds is they shoot exactly where the pins are if they are sighted in.

12-Jun-22
Wait until mother arthritis has chewed your knees to powder and your ankles to jello. ;-)/2

13-Jun-22
Of course. I shoot everyday

13-Jun-22
Not sure when I'll get out again. Going in tomorrow morning for shoulder surgery. RC, Biceps Tendon and Labrum. Possible clavicle extension.

13-Jun-22
X-man, good luck! Hope they can get you back shooting again in time for hunting season if not sooner.

13-Jun-22
x-man,

Best wishes, prayer sent.

13-Jun-22
Thornton,

Back out to 50-60 yards and shift your level a full bubble and see where you hit. Put a fixed blade head on, induce massive torque on your riser and dig your string into your face and see where you hit at 20, 30 or even 40 yards and tell me that your setup always hits behind the pin. Obviously nobody does this purposely when we are shooting at game, but that is what can easily happen when we shoot from unorthodox positions and we are crapping our pants over a big buck.

14-Jun-22

14-Jun-22
Lift Run Shoot every day!!!

JK I'll pick up my bow mid August. It will shoot the same as it did last year. I find two weeks of shooting every 2-3 days gets me as good as I ever get which is plenty good enough IMO. Once a week or so throughout the season is enough to stay sharp. A judo here and there when heading out/in.

14-Jun-22
I really enjoy shooting my bow. Don't really see it as a chore at all. I like stretching out the distance and seeing where all my flaws are. I'm not a very talented archer so it's very challenging for me but I like the challenge and try to continuously improve.

Headed to TAC in SD in about a week. Hope I have enough arrows!

14-Jun-22
I've been shooting. Picked up another bag target last week, to have 1 setting out at 70. Just to humble myself. As for temps, we've been 70-80 degrees all June so far. Its been nice.

14-Jun-22
For about 2 hours. I think my shoulder is about to fall out

14-Jun-22
When yesterday was today I did.

14-Jun-22
Shot some this morning, my long game still needs work. I expect this weekends shoot will reduce my arrow inventory ;-)

14-Jun-22

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
Yes

Trying to improve everyday still.

14-Jun-22
9 arrows just now, 92 degrees out. Just received my second shingles shot yesterday, and was still feeling down. All shots at 25, then quit.

15-Jun-22
Bowfreak, I shot maybe 4 times last summer, drove to NM, climbed a windmill, and shot a pronghorn at 54 yards while trying to balance on a small platform and leaning around the pump rod while the dang thing looked at me. Not sure what you mean by a bubble? No bubbles on any of my bows. I may go back to shooting a recurve because compounds are like shooting a gun out to 50 yards.

15-Jun-22
Xman, I pray you have a speedy recovery.

15-Jun-22
Thanks for the well wishes. I slept most of the day away yesterday. They tell me it went well. 3.5 hour surgery, the RC tendon was a standard repair. They cut the end of the clavicle off to reduce pinching. The most significant repair was the biceps tendon repair. It's called "Open PROXIMAL BICEPS Tenodesis" Similar I guess to how a snapped Achilles tendon is repaired.

These are the dr's notes following the procedure: FWIW, I thought it was a fascinating read.

" I established my posterior viewing portal through a small stab incision in the soft spot and entered the glenohumeral joint with a blunt trocar. I established my anterior portal using an outside in technique through the rotator interval followed by a small stab incision anteriorly just lateral to the palpable coracoid. I then used a small probe through the anterior portal to perform my diagnostic arthroscopy. The articular surfaces of the humeral head and glenoid appeared healthy with minimal to no arthritis. The labrum showed a moderate degree of fraying. The biceps anchors showed a moderate degree of fraying and synovitis. I gently debrided the synovitis near the rotator interval capsule and tenotomized the biceps tendon from it's origin using a biter. I then moved the camera into the subacromial space and established my lateral working portal using an 18-gauge needle followed by a small stab incision and cannula insertion. I used a shaver to debride the abundant synovitis within the subacromial space as well as down into the lateral gutter. I identified a nearly full thickness rotator cuff tear involving the supraspinatus measuring 1cm from an anterior to posterior direction. The rotator cuff footprint was debrided down to healthy decorticated bleeding bone up to the articular margin. 1 medial anchors were placed percutaneously along the articular margin. The preloaded suturetape sutures were passed through the rotator cuff using a scorpion suture passer and fiberlink. I performed a speed bridge double row type repair by sequentialy loading each passed suture in to 1 lateral row anchor under the appropriate amount of tension to reduce the rotator cuff back to its anatomic footprint. This achieved an excellent repair of the torn rotator cuff. Attention was then turned to the acromial impingement. I used a 4.5 mm burr to perform an acromioplasty of the anterolateral acromion back to a smooth surface, using a bone block technique from the posterior portal and looking laterally. The majority of the overhang was along the lower aspect of the acromion, last anteriorly, as was noted on the preop MRI. This was therefore the majority of what was addressed. When completed, there was no longer an acromial impingement. I made a separate longitudinal incision in line with the inferior aspect of the palpable pectoralis major tendon just lateral to the axillary fold. Sharp dissection was carried down to the skin only and then blunt dissection was carried down to the level of the pectoralis major fascia. The fascia was incised in line with the fibers and then I bluntly dissected underneath the pec tendon and muscle belly to palpate the anterior humeral cortex and bicipital groove with the associated biceps tendon. I placed a deep blunt blade retractor under the pectoralis tendon and retracted this superiorly. With this I was able to obtain direct visualization of the long head of the biceps tendon which was readily identified. No retractors were placed medially to protect the nearby neurovascular structures. I retrieved the long head of the biceps tendon through the wound. This was resected leaving about 2 cm of healthy-appearing biceps tendon from the myotendinous junction. I carefully identified the bicipital groove and debrided the periosteum using a small curette. I then placed an all suture anchor in the groove just distal to the crossing of the pectoralis major tendon. I used limbs of this suture to place whipstitch through the tendon up and down, and then passed to the opposite limb through the tendon once to draw the tendon down and tie over it. This was done for each suture loaded from the anchor. I then used the free limb to draw the tendon down to the groove using an onlay technique. After this was appropriately tensioned onto the distal bicipital groove, I tied several square knots. This achieved excellent fixation of the biceps tendon. I copiously irrigated with normal saline"

15-Jun-22
TREESTANDWOLF do you use your windshield as a backstop?

16-Jun-22

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Not all of us are like Uncle Rico (Thornton) and everything’s too easy.

I definitely don’t shoot nearly as much as I should. My routine is similar to what APauls mentioned. Sometimes I’ll go months without shooting my bow, then shoot it pretty religiously for a week or two before season, as well as slinging a few arrows each day during season. Definitely not going to win any tournaments, but usually seem to shoot well enough to close the deal, come crunch time.

16-Jun-22
I'm the same as Apauls and Troy. . . . I can't remember the last time I shot my bow, honestly. I'll go months during off season without shooting. Then I may shoot every day for a couple months. I get pretty serious about it when I do shoot a lot, I'm not one of those guys that picks it up the day before the season opens, but I don't shoot year around.

I enjoy shooting, but I'm not into tournaments or organized shoots. Just doesn't interest me at all. If it ain't breathing I'm not really interested in shooting at it.

16-Jun-22
I am alot like Blake..... I start shooting the compound right after July 4th,,,,, get ready for the season..... My recurve is alot like riding a bike, been doing it for so many years,,,, It would be different if I was a competitive shooter........................

As long as you keep the muscle mass and toned well, physical exercise that keeps the body in tune, to me, is more important, as an older hunter,,,,,, If you dont keep the muscles working, then your a more ineffective hunter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I also like close shots. I mean thats what trips my trigger, not 50 yards, etc, but more like 50 steps or less,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

16-Jun-22
Reps in this morning...I try to shoot throughout the year, even if only a few arrows here and there...

From now until season starts in August, at least every other day...Basically non workout days! Keeps everything tuned up..At least I hope! Lol

16-Jun-22
We could have won state if coach would put Thornton in.

I like to shoot and normally my sessions are only 12-15 arrows. I usually shoot at 70-80 yards. My groups aren't great at that distance, but it really sharpens my game. I may go weeks without shooting, but typically I shoot a few times a week. In this nasty hot weather I normally just go to my basement and shoot where I have a 20 yard archery range that I decided to built a house over. :)

16-Jun-22
Nice Mark!

17-Jun-22
T-roy and Bowfreak, if your bows don't shoot in the same spot out to 40 yards every time you pick them up, you've got a screw loose- literally. Had one do that on a Colorado pronghorn hunt about 20 years ago, and found the sight had vibrated loose enroute. I was shooting paper plates at 55 yards prior to leaving and it was a cheap, Golden Eagle package bow from Dick's Sporting goods. I'm not bragging about my skills, but rather stating today's modern bows require little practice. They literally shoot like a gun to 50 yards. I grew up shooting stick bows, recurves, and later a compound with no sights. It takes me a dozen arrows with my recurves, to get warmed up sometimes. But 2 weeks ago, I got to shoot a Black Widow and I was hitting the center every shot from the first arrow at 15 yards. Not knowing the bow , I did not shoot any farther out of respect for the owner. I still remember my first buck, I hit in the femoral artery, nowhere near I was aiming. He died quickly, but that caused me to invest in sights, and my next buck dropped in his tracks, making noises like a dying sheep. I was amazed, I could take a $60 Browning, from the Bass Pro Bargain Cave, and make it so accurate. This was in the mid 90's. As for the state shoot comment, I did win class in 2018 and outshot over 70 other contestants without ever practicing that summer at the Kansas State Sporting Clays Championship. My lack of registered targets that summer is proof, as is the online scorecard, but that's another story.

17-Jun-22

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
Someone else chimed in on your comments...

17-Jun-22
You seem to require a great deal of attention. Don’t worry, we can all tell how badass you are…

17-Jun-22
"I'm not bragging about my skills, but rather stating today's modern bows require little practice. They literally shoot like a gun to 50 yards. "

Tell ya what - go to an ASA shoot and compete in the 50-yard 'known' class. I'll be interested in seeing your scorecard vs the field.

17-Jun-22
"Tell ya what - go to an ASA shoot and compete in the 50-yard 'known' class. I'll be interested in seeing your scorecard vs the field." Wow...Levi Morgan wouldn't stand a chance I guess.

17-Jun-22
I just finished shooting about 4 times per week before and during bear season, now the bow gets put away till august, I practice shoulder preservation, as much as I would like to shoot more I think it takes its toll on the shoulder

17-Jun-22

WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
Nope. But, I shot one arrow from 23 yards yesterday. I’m zoned in. No need to shoot everyday. Just often enough to be serious about the cold shot.

Shooting too much is as hazardous as not shooting enough.

17-Jun-22
Shot 2 courses at the Compton rendezvous today. Was by myself so I had time to shoot several arrows at some targets. Bass fishing takes up a lot of my outdoor time right now , but shooting my bow will take up more and more as I ramp up to hunting season.

17-Jun-22
16 arrows, 25, 35 and 45 yards.

18-Jun-22
Off day…

18-Jun-22
Shot a 215, ASA Traditional - unknown yardage. Tough course, first ten targets were all near max for class.

18-Jun-22
Three arrows this morning, each a different yardage…

18-Jun-22
Had fun this morning messing with my Striker Classic longbow 62" 50# "outback " . Purt near Fla everglades @ the edge of Naples , Fl . You talk about heat and humidity . Don't wanna find out but he-l can't be this hot and miserable .

19-Jun-22
Florida is too hot! We have 'unseasonable' cool weather here for the last days of Spring. 50 this morning, won't hit 70. Reach 80's by Friday. Great shooting weather, breeze kept the bugs off. Changing string and arrows today, start re-tuning.

19-Jun-22
I shoot my recurve daily. I enjoy it and it's relaxing to me.

I don't care how much or how little anyone shoots compared to me. I've never had a "mine's bigger" mentality about anything and I'm not going to develop one now at 50.

19-Jun-22
Can't put off getting a verifier any longer. Shooting in the shade to a sunlit target at 80 yds and I can't see my pins. Completely invisible!

19-Jun-22
somebody here send my your cell # so I can send a few vidiows o me shooting on my place with my recurve. I call it the 50 yard pinecone shoot. That is how I practice which I started shooting begining of june of . I am pulling 55lbs at 28 with a 610gr 340. I just shoot 5 arrows a round one being a VPA tipped 3 blade. My land is all sandy so perfect with no broken arrows. It is a hazzardus shoot as you never know when a crazy quail will attack or a momma moose come down the ridge to watch. two days ago I saw a nice muly in the buck brush

19-Jun-22
Boot break in, started with 9 miles today. Too windy to shoot.

19-Jun-22
Shot a local 3D with my wife and two other friends.

19-Jun-22
30 arrows, one per end, from two yards. Goal is to stuff them all in the same hole. Not as easy as you might think.

19-Jun-22
I shot again today, the crazy quail had 4 little ones

19-Jun-22
I shot today. 20 arrows at 70. Shot ok. I normally take my last shot less than 50. 43 yards and right in the dot. 70 is about the point where I struggle to make accurate shot every time. I may shoot a large group or 2 or 3 fliers in a group but it snakes me shoot much better at 60 and in.

• Sitka Gear