fuzzy 14-Feb-24
Rgiesey 14-Feb-24
fuzzy 14-Feb-24
rickepanton 04-Mar-24
Norseman 04-Mar-24
drycreek 04-Mar-24
fuzzy 05-Mar-24
15-Jun-22
I just learned a few weeks ago that I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have only been on medication for a few weeks and am hoping that they will start to work soon. I am not currently able to draw my bow at 55lbs. Even if I could get it all the way back I am not sure how steady I would be. Has anyone dealt with this issue and what did you do to help?

15-Jun-22

15-Jun-22
RA is treatable. You need to take an active role in your treatment. There are amazing medications that can help your keep your disease activity managed. As a matter of fact, the autoimmune medications available today are game changers. I would suggest getting your doctor to have a Vectra test run on your consults, even if they say it's not necessary.

I have been selling into Rheumatology for 13 years, there aren't enough of them and if I'm being honest, there are some I would trust, and others that are practicing that exact same way they were in 1993. Read reviews, make sure the provider is talking to you about being collaborative and working together. TAKE YOUR MEDS! Many RA patients who choose to ignore their doc can lose joint function in less than a year. Not to mention any autoimmune disease, including RA, greatly increases your risk of heart attack or stroke, particularly if you do not have your disease activity under control.

IDK about archery, but I hear stories everyday about people doing amazing things with RA. Unfortunately I also see and hear about stubborn patients that can't button their shirt. Take it seriously is my advice.

16-Jun-22
I woke up one day in college and felt awful... the onset of arthritis at the age of 20. I suffered with it for almost 2 decades until I could no longer play catch with my children. I always resisted my rheumatologists advice to try medication due to the side effects, but this disease was robbing me of life. I agreed to try Enbrel, a weekly self administered shot. It has changed my life, reducing the pain and swelling by 75%. A good diet and exercise plan is an absolute must as well. Find a good rheumatologist and listen to him/her. Good luck!

16-Jun-22
Luckily I work for the company that makes Humira which is the drug along with Methotrexate that I take. The Rheumatologist that I see said that it would take a few months to get the dosage correct. I am hoping the pain subsides soon. Wisconsin Archery season opens Sept 17th. Only 3 months away!

16-Jun-22
I can't stress enough, RA effects your joints, but it GREATLY increases your cardiovascular risk if you don't manage it.

Good luck, Humira is an amazing drug. FYI the efficacy of these TNFs is often finite, with patients needing to change after time. If it works and you start to feel $hitty in a few years get that Vectra test run.

27-Oct-23
Watch the Joe Rogan podcast with Jordan Petersons daughter on it. She went on the carnivore diet and all her autoimmune issues went away. Pretty much most crap we get is from what we eat and Big Pharm loves to sell you meds. I’ve been on mostly a carnivore diet for over a month and my daily acid reflux went away no more meds needed.

27-Oct-23
My wife has RA and manages it thru diet , no gluten or nightshades and we forage for Chaga and Reishi mushrooms for tea . We have 40 beehives and local raw honey is also in her diet , she is doing well with diet changes now for 7 years . Not against the drugs myself and what ever works , just sharing what works for her.

27-Oct-23
I have arthritis in my neck and shoulders especially the right side. I grew up shooting the bow by drawing my hand straight to my anchor point under my right eye. If I try that now the arthritis flares up and for at least 10 days my right arm is useless. After going to my physical therapist and working with them I can shoot a 50 lb high let off bow by drawing to my chest and then bringing my hand up to the anchor point. Without going to the therapist, I would be strictly limited to using a crossbow. I would definitely check with a physical therapist about changing your drawing motions and bow poundage/let off. Hope you get relief soon.

15-Nov-23
I've had RA for a couple years. I found that methotrexate is terrible. I was so happy to be done with that and on to humira. I found that exercise is very helpful with control. When i started doing more body weight workouts (pullups especially) really helped out. Eating bread products like pizza and similar cause me to have issues the next day.

16-Nov-23
RA is treatable, early onset RA due to Lymes sucks.

Get good meds from the doc, cherry and wild grape/elderberry juice, low fat meats, limited gluten and breads, tumeric, black pepper for spices lots of ibuprophen, lidocaine patches and don't put off the joint replacements.

Floating in a warm pool, lake or river, fully submerged can help as well as motion and chiropractic care. For daily pain, distraction and humor is about the best there is. Jager, Chambord or Drambuie help on the nights I need it.

16-Nov-23
You should research the carnivore diet because if what they say is actually true you may be able to eliminate your arthritis.

14-Feb-24
AI BOT reply strikes again...

14-Feb-24
yea I suffer from arthritis in both my wrists which has cut down on the length of shooting sessions with my recurve. Some days are better than others. I did cut down my draw to 52 pounds. Doc prescribed anti-inflammatory meds but I didn't take them. This is why I never badmouth compounds, never know haha.

14-Feb-24
Send ya a PM

14-Feb-24
I have symptoms consistent with RA but not a diagnosis of same. It has pretty much stopped bow hunting cold for me and severely limits other hunting activities as well as motorcycle riding, physical work, and even daily activities like getting dressed, social interaction etc.

14-Feb-24
RA is not old age

14-Feb-24
Timex I'm right there with you. Been doing the anti inflammatory and alcohol but it is killing me. Had to try another tack

04-Mar-24
I just came across your post about dealing with Rheumatoid Arthritis and archery. I know it's been a couple of years since you shared your concerns, but I wanted to reach out and offer some support.Living with a chronic condition like Rheumatoid Arthritis can be incredibly challenging, especially when it affects activities you love. I hope that over the past two years, you've found ways to manage your symptoms and continue pursuing your passions.Also, have you ever tried using bubblers? They offer a smoother smoking experience compared to traditional pipes or joints, which might be more comfortable for your joints.

04-Mar-24
Try the carnivore diet??

04-Mar-24
Not RA, but I have the plain vanilla arthritis in both thumbs. When the weather changes it hurts like hell. It also hurts anytime I bend my thumb the wrong way or put pressure on the base of them. More aggravating than anything until I bend one and then I want to cry.

05-Mar-24
drycreek try a prescription med called "Daypro"

• Sitka Gear