wkochevar 25-Aug-22
t-roy 25-Aug-22
hunt forever 05-Sep-22
LBshooter 05-Sep-22
Big Joe 06-Sep-22
Big Joe 06-Sep-22
Bou'bound 06-Sep-22
17-Jun-22
A group of friends and me are heading to South Africa next week. Two of us are hunting Cape Buffalo on the trip. Can anyone recommend a top notch Taxidermy that specializes in Cape Buffalo? It doesnt matter where the Taxidermy shop is located. The Dallas Area is close to my home state but Im open to anywhere. Pictures of others mounts would be amazing.

17-Jun-22
Dip and ship you will be happier. Find a state side taxi

17-Jun-22
There is a taxidermist in Colorado that I used for the past seven years and could not be happier with all of my African man. He does a great job on Cape buffalo. His name is Cliff from non-typical taxidermy in Delta Colorado. If you PM me I'll send you his phone number

17-Jun-22
Brush Country Studios in the Houston area is pretty hard to beat. They've done all our Africa stuff and have done 3 cape shoulder mounts for us.

17-Jun-22

kscowboy's Link

17-Jun-22

Iowa Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Iowa Rut Nut's embedded Photo

Iowa Rut Nut's Link
Joe Meder in Solon Iowa is a master taxidermist and has specializes in African animals. I have had him do several animals including cape buffalo

17-Jun-22
Ks Cowboy,

Would you mind sharing the Buffalo mounts they did for you?

17-Jun-22
Iowa

Nice bull!!

17-Jun-22
already gave you the place LOL kanati studios In Pa best there is

17-Jun-22

Kevin Speicher 's embedded Photo
Kevin Speicher 's embedded Photo
Zimmerman's Wildlife Martinsburg, PA. He is a World Champion taxidermist.

17-Jun-22
Since your in Texas, look up Huffaker Taxidermy in Abilene Tx. Jerry does really nice work. A lot of guys can do nice cape buffalo, but the finish work can make or break the mount.

Honestly, I mount a pretty nice buff, but the finish guy at the shop paints them too dark imo.

Jerry can do both, mount em nice, and finish them also.

17-Jun-22
Iowa Rut Nut - I think Meder is retired.

17-Jun-22
Jerry Huffaker is very good!!

17-Jun-22
I would recommend the Wildlife Gallery in Michigan. They handled our last two safaris and they do incredible work. We were privileged to tour their entire operation before committing to have them do our taxidermy. It’s a very impressive facility & they are extremely pleasant and easy to work with. They personally delivered all our mounts from Michigan to our home in Iowa. I think you’d be happy.

17-Jun-22
There are a ton of really good taxidermists across the country. Call and ask questions, look at their work. Ask to come and visit their studio if you need to. Make your decision on what you feel is best for you. Everyone will have their favorites. I’ve met many great taxidermist’s when I did it and competed. None of them have been mentioned in this thread but they are all very good.

18-Jun-22
I'll have my father get a couple of pics of the bulls for you, Hunt. They are in his trophy room.

18-Jun-22
Kevin, that buffalo mount is outstanding.

19-Jun-22

kscowboy's embedded Photo

19-Jun-22

Beendare's Link
My buddy in Utah Robert does a great job, Capture the Hunt taxidermy…at link Edit; A guy shooting one of these Cape Buff really needs to consider a pedestal mount. Ive seen a couple really cool ones my buddy did though the pics arent on his website.

20-Jun-22
Great looking mounts!!! Is the top bull a wall shoulder mount?

20-Jun-22
They are free standing pedestal mounts. We got the two together out of the same herd. Mine is the top bull and my father's is the bottom bull.

20-Jun-22
Very nice bulls and mounts

20-Jun-22
How did the connect the 2 bulls on the Pedestal?

How big are the bulls bosses?

22-Jun-22
Hunt, he has a metal bar that goes from one mount into the other. It’s detachable to get through a regular doorframe. The good taxidermists can make things suspend like this with ease. Let me know if you decide to go with Brush Country and I’ll get their business development contact to send you tags to take over for shipping. They can also provide some logistical insight.

22-Jun-22
Beautiful bulls everyone. They do make some really cool mounts.

15-Aug-22

hunt forever's embedded Photo
I got a Buffalo with my bow this trip!! Now, I need to decide were to get it mounted. I'm leaning towards a taxidermist near a friend's house in PA. I'm still open for options in the Dallas/Houston areas because I might import the animals through Houston.

15-Aug-22

15-Aug-22
Saw your story on the other thread. So cool your daughter got to be a part of the Buffalo hunt. That's a dandy bull by the way!!

15-Aug-22
Have no personal experience but the photos on here of Dennis Razza's work look real nice. Think the name is right and think he's in Penn. ?

16-Aug-22

pdk25's embedded Photo
pdk25's embedded Photo
Pleased with mine

16-Aug-22

pdk25's embedded Photo
pdk25's embedded Photo
Trophy Solutions Africa

17-Aug-22
Amazing Bull!! Thanks for sharing.

17-Aug-22
Great bulls Brady and Pat

25-Aug-22
I agree with the post emphasizing the finish work makes or breaks it. Look carefully at the details from field photos and you’ll see where things happen. Horns on living/fresh killed bulls have a certain luster, plus they are never perfectly clean and all black. The techniques required to bring back this luster and add realistic coloring to depict mud, tree sap and other stuff which embedded in the bosses and scratch marks on horns are generally time consuming and unfortunately overlooked by some taxidermists. The result is a jet black boss and horns. Ear shredding is common in old bulls and the distinct coloration inside them is not always duplicated well. Again, if these aspects are not important to you then no problem. I’m going next year for my buff with bow and will be doing my own mounting if successful. Some good choices mentioned: Jerry Huffaker in Tx, wildlife gallery and Dennis Razza .

25-Aug-22
They've all got droopy ears though.

25-Aug-22

Bowman's embedded Photo
Bowman's embedded Photo
Bowman's embedded Photo
Lion is suspended off of the bull's right horn that goes up into the lion belly
Bowman's embedded Photo
Lion is suspended off of the bull's right horn that goes up into the lion belly
Here is what our taxidermy shop did with my father's 1st bull he harvested.

25-Aug-22

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Bruce Foster Studios
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Bruce Foster Studios
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Bruce Foster Studios
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Bruce Foster Studios
I also remember this taxidermist in Grasonville, MD Bruce Foster Studios that does a really nice job with details:

25-Aug-22

wkochevar's embedded Photo
wkochevar's embedded Photo
Looking to preserve the character and scars of this old (14-15 yr old) warrior I got 2 weeks ago...following thread. Thanks, Kip

25-Aug-22
LOL@ APauls! At least nobody is longarming them!

05-Sep-22
Thats an old brut!! Congrats!!

05-Sep-22
Some nice buffs guys.

06-Sep-22

Big Joe's embedded Photo
Big Joe's embedded Photo
DonClaire Taxidermy in South Africa is really good when it comes to buffalo. The most realistic I have seen.

06-Sep-22

Big Joe's embedded Photo
Big Joe's embedded Photo

06-Sep-22
that's a big one joe

• Sitka Gear