SlzMan 18-Jun-22
bghunter 18-Jun-22
4nolz@work 18-Jun-22
ahawkeye 19-Jun-22
SlzMan 19-Jun-22
Lawdog 20-Jun-22
Lawdog 20-Jun-22
17-Jun-22
Has anyone done this hunt recently that can provide some insight? I am an Ohio Deer hunter and I am ppanning on going down in January with a Muzzle Loader to catch some sun and maybe tag a Deer. Any info would be appreciated. Im pretty sure the Deer should be rutting then....anybody advise on some tactics?

17-Jun-22
Isn't it a draw hunt? Application for most management area quotas was 6/15

17-Jun-22
If there are any left you can reapply in July it looks like

17-Jun-22
Where in Florida are you going? North central rut is late October for wts

17-Jun-22

JTreeman's embedded Photo
JTreeman's embedded Photo
This peeked my intreat, and I certainly have no first hand knowledge, but from my quick search it appears that those tags are issued first come first serve and the quota is 250. Looks like you can purchase on 7/7. Attached pic is FL state website.

4nolz, from the title I assume he is specifically asking about the St Vincent island hunt, not a mainland or northern hunt.

—jim

18-Jun-22
I have not been on this hunt, however reseached the Sambar deer hunt on the same island.

Getting to the island is the most Interesting part as only way is by boat, which depending o. Weather can be an adventure.

You also have to bring everything with you which I recall even means firewood.

You pretty much need a mountain bike and not sure if motorized are allowed.

Everyone says there are tons of snakes so I would suggest snake boots too.

If you do some searching on YouTube you will find some videos.

It sure looks like an adventure.

18-Jun-22
Yeah I am excited! I really hope I can snag a tag! Being on the Gulf of Mexico in January in sunshine sure sounds better than SE Ohio!

18-Jun-22
Good luck. If you don't have a boat, I would start looking at hiring a transporter to and from the island. Not sure how early they book up.

It can get a little chilly down there, bit nothing like OH or WI where I am from.

One of my coldest nights camping was April in central FL for Osceola Turkeys. Froze my ass off. However we slept on an island without a tent.

18-Jun-22
Yes looks like it's a NWR not a State WMA

19-Jun-22
I was in the area 2 years ago I asked around about St. Vincent Island. Local told me he wouldn't set foot on there, no lack of gators is what he said. I'm from Indiana so I don't know much about alligators but I'm pretty sure it's a bit chilly in that area in January. Yes better than here but I would pack some jeans and a jacket, not really sure you'll be sitting on the balcony sipping margaritas. I could be wrong though I've never been there in January. Buy some fresh fish at the fish market though, you won't regret it!

19-Jun-22
Yeah I have a buddy who lives within 100 miles of there and he has hunted it before. Said its full of snakes gators mosquitos hogs and Deer

20-Jun-22

Lawdog's Link
This is a National Wildlife Reserve. Here's the link to their website. NWR's post their own regs.

20-Jun-22

Lawdog's Link
Here is another link to the FWC website for St. Vincent.

• Sitka Gear