cnelk 22-Jun-22
Paul@thefort 22-Jun-22
Don K 22-Jun-22
IdyllwildArcher 22-Jun-22
'Ike' (Phone) 23-Jun-22
Aspen Ghost 23-Jun-22
JSW 25-Jun-22
21-Jun-22
I was reading through the 2022 Nebraska Game & Parks Hunting Regs and saw that they are limiting NonRes tags this year.

No more than 5000 archery tags, no more than 2000 ML tags will be sold.

And only 15,000 E/S or Buck Only tags will be sold.

21-Jun-22
With any luck SD will be following suit.

21-Jun-22
Wow that will have a direct effect of being able to buy 2 archery tags.

Good for Nebraska!

They say deer numbers are back up but I don’t think we are anywhere close to getting back to pre 2013 numbers.

My perspective from the SE part of the state.

21-Jun-22
the deer numbers are not back up. Quite the contrary. At least in South central and SW.

21-Jun-22
Deer moved out with the Husker football team.

21-Jun-22
With all of today's technology, limitations are welcomed.

21-Jun-22
I can't believe they've sold them so cheap for years. They need to at least implement reciprocity prices. Whatever your state charges NRs for a deer permit should be what you pay to hunt in Nebraska.

21-Jun-22
Yah. Wish Colorado would follow suit too. But CPW would rather have all NR then the resident tags.

21-Jun-22
How many did they sell in past years?

21-Jun-22
^^^ Its was OTC

21-Jun-22
I absolutely hope that NM will take it a step further and eradicate ALL nonresident tags to go along with the other states that are doing this. Hunting should only be allowed in the state you reside in.

21-Jun-22
This is great news. Now they just need to push rifle season back a few weeks.

21-Jun-22
Aspen ghost I’m all for that it would save me $200!!!!!! Wisconsin is $160 for buck tag and in some areas up to five doe tags

21-Jun-22
I would like to know how many NR archery tags were sold last year as well.

I did find a report for 2020 and a total for archery tags was 20,341 with a harvest success of 5,185.

I see the season choice quotas for the 2 areas I hunt haven’t changed. That isn’t helping numbers much either.

21-Jun-22
Don't take any good hunting opportunities for granted. The good old days don't last long and it's hard to realize when you're in the middle of them

21-Jun-22
HDE, isn't that a little extreme? What other states have eliminated non resident tags?

21-Jun-22
None has, but the trend has been to reduce. The web has broadened interest and knowledge about out-of-state hunting to an extreme degree. Any state with good OTC opportunities for NR is now headed for limiting it, or most likely will be soon.

21-Jun-22
I think it is ironic, how we all turn on each other,,, Brothers of the Bow,,, I think not unless you are in the right group.... No one wants you to come to their state to hunt, and its getting worse,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it is turninig to s... real fast,,, and that is too bad

I welcome anyone to come to Wis or the UP to hunt and spend money,,,, the local buisnesses love it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have always felt more than welcome in SD, those people are great,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Oklahoma is another great state, the locals make you feel welcome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 4 years ago, we had flat tires in Kansas, at the motel,,, very telling

I love to hunt Canada, those people love that I come up there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

21-Jun-22
Groundhunter50

Stop worrying. I have spent almost 5 decades hunting in lots of different states and I have never had a time or a place that I felt unwelcome

Don’t let one Jackass influence you Into thinking negative things about other states.

Just follow your dreams, wants and wishes and never worry about the HDE,s of the world. They are few and far between

21-Jun-22
HDE that's ridiculous.

21-Jun-22
If I read this correctly, NR killed 5,185 deer in 2020, heck NR kill that many deer in one day of gun season here in Ohio...

21-Jun-22
Zbone, not that was total archery harvest for resident and nonresident.

21-Jun-22
HDE that's a pretty shitty attitude !!

21-Jun-22
“This is great news. Now they just need to push rifle season back a few weeks.”

Yup this was my thinking. Limiting NR’s is great for reducing pressure on public land. However, it doesn’t do much good for hunting quality as long as they have a 9 day peak rut rifle hunt, and 31 day muzzleloader hunt. Those are the quality killers. Iowa & Illinois will always be better because of that.

21-Jun-22
Cheesehead Mike - that was the point.

Pop-r - it would be. But no more than others that whoop and holler everytime a state reduces non-resident tags to improve opportunity for its residents, or say a state should charge you what your state charges them.

Bowhunt3138 - you take some things way too seriously...

21-Jun-22
Oh... Thanks Michael...

22-Jun-22
EITHER SEX OR BUCK-ONLY PERMIT CHANGES A sales quota of 15,000 Either Sex or Buck Only (ES/BO) permits has been set for nonresidents. This includes Archery, Muzzleloader and November firearm permits. Once 15,000 permits that allow the harvest of a buck is met, no more either sex or buck only permits will be sold to nonresidents. All landowner and youth permits are exempted from this quota. Nonresident sales of ES/BO permits has increased 50% over the past 10 years; the cap will ensure sales do not increase beyond the levels of 2020 and 2021.

Within that quota, Nonresident Statewide Archery is capped at 5,000 permits and Nonresident Statewide Muzzleloader is capped at 2,000 to ensure permit sales do not shift drastically from previous years. Both quotas are equivalent to 2021 sales numbers, when 5,032 and 2,018 sold respectively.

Resident archery and muzzleloader permits are not affected and still have an “unlimited” quota.

The caps on ES/BO permits that previously had “unlimited” permit quotas are aimed at maintaining the current distribution of hunters throughout the seasons, including Archery, Muzzleloader, Statewide Whitetail Buck and Restricted Statewide Buck.

22-Jun-22
"

"

" The caps on ES/BO permits that previously had “unlimited” permit quotas are aimed at maintaining the current distribution of hunters throughout the seasons"

^^^ And thats still way too many

I’ve hunted Nebraska public land for over 15 years. Used to be much better hunting.

When I filled out my survey this year I mentioned that Nebraska needs to limit NonRes hunters, and that’s coming from a NonRes hunter - I guess they read that one

22-Jun-22
Brad, Yep, nothing has changed especially on SWAs where there are too many deer being killed and no restrictions on hunters numbers or quality deer management. If it is brown, it is down, is the management.

22-Jun-22

Don K's Link
They are also having a Elk depredation season in July, haven't seen any discussion here, but plenty on other places. Private land only, but most think having it in July is a bad idea....

22-Jun-22
It's only management as far as controlling total deer numbers. It certainly is not managing for quality. I think farmers, insurance companies, and hunters can find a middle ground when it comes to buck and doe harvest whereas total deer numbers are brought down in exchange for not absolutely slaughtering all the bucks. The thing is, not all hunters want that. Some want as many deer as possible so that they can shoot as many as they can as quickly as they can do it.

As far as the elk - they form into herds and stick to core areas. They don't fan out like whitetail. That means they're all in certain areas and that means that certain farmers/ranchers are bearing the bulk of their hit to fields, whether that be cropland or pasture. So I can understand the depredation hunt - it only takes a few ranchers crying foul to create a hunt.

It's unfortunate, but elk and private land (where private land is fully used for crops and/or pasture) don't mix that well unless the land owners are either fully vested in sustaining wildlife, or they're getting paid to do so.

23-Jun-22
Interesting for sure…Good for NE!

23-Jun-22
I have mixed feelings about the elk depredation hunt. Having it in July means either killing young calves or leaving them orphaned when you kill their cows. But that is when they are in the fields causing the damage. And if they tried to have it in the fall the herd is elsewhere and then it just becomes an opportunity for landowners to sell trophy hunts rather than a depredation hunt.

Since the permits are unlimited and cheap it will be interesting to see whether the landowners in the area will keep the hunting in the family, attempt to sell hunts for profit or allow others to hunt. I'm guessing the first two options will prevail.

25-Jun-22
We have to accept that there is a limit to what we can take from any population. It sucks when it affects you presonally but there are simply too many of us trying to access a finite resource.

It's a balancing act to provide easy enough access to keep hunter numbers up while not over taxing the populations. These restriction are upsetting but inevitable.

Now if we could only get NE to put an end to rifle hunting during the peak of the rut. Do that for 3 years and everyone would have a better experience, even the rifle hunters.. Pipe dream, for sure, but it's so obvious it's sad.

• Sitka Gear