bigswivle 03-Jul-22
IdyllwildArcher 04-Jul-22
Cotton 07-Aug-22
bonehead 07-Aug-22
HD 05-Sep-22
Bearman 05-Sep-22
fdp 18-Sep-22
25-Jun-22
I going moose hunting the first of October in Canada. I have two knees that are worn out. I've been getting Zilretta injections and they have been working great until now. You can get the injections every 3 months . They have been lasting a couple of weeks past the 3 months. I'm 2 months in on the last injection and my left knee is killing me. I'm afraid my doctor is going to say it's time to replace the knee. I will probably have to wait until the end of July for the surgery. The hunt will be basically be going up and down the river and calling, so it's not a tough hunt. My question is for anyone that has had knee replacement, would be can I have recovered enough to go on the hunt?

25-Jun-22
Are you going with a guide? One who is willing to accommodate your limits? You'll be 'mobile' but you won't be humping loads of moose meat.

(No, I haven't had a knee replacement but a lot of friends have. At a certain age you get to observe a lot!)

25-Jun-22
Maybe, it depends on several things. First your doctor, second your physical therapist, third you. I’ve had both of mine replaced and two weeks after my first one I walked about a 1/4 mile to my hunting blind. I wasn’t entirely pain free but I was able to do it. I had a very good physical therapist and did all the exercises he gave me and I listened to what my doctor said post-op. My brother had his replaced by a different doctor and had a different therapist. He struggled to walk without a cane for 6 months. He just had his second done, same doctor, different therapist and is doing much better. I personally think the therapist you chose is just as important as the doctor. Listen to the professionals and do your homework and you could do it. Good luck

25-Jun-22
Wait. Deal with the facts you know. Plan accordingly. Get cut on after the hunt.

25-Jun-22
I had both of mine replaced in two separate surgeries. I had one friend had both done at the same time. I was back at work after the first one in 4 weeks but that was to soon. 6 weeks minimum and I had low impact job. Now mine all went well, others have had issues so that delayed things. If at all possible with pain meds etc, get it done after the hunt. With that said I wish I had replaced mine sooner than what I did. Best thing I have done, the pain I was putting up with was terrible. It is amazing what we can put up with.

25-Jun-22
I’ve had my left knee replaced then I figured out a way to dislocate it twice pain was excruciating to say the least.Surgery in July before Moose hunt in September I think you’re rushing it a bit that’s my 2 cents Good luck Lewis

25-Jun-22
Unless you are in fantastic shape, there is no way you are going to be ready to moose hunt in two months. Walking and rehabbing is different then hunting.

25-Jun-22
Depends on the person, If you are on good shape and the knees are just bone on bone without ligament or tendon damage than I think two months is fine. I know it is not knee replacement but I had total hip replacement and was up in a tree 2.5 weeks later. Re-hab right and work through some of the initail pain and you can do it. That said if ya can hold off on your next injection until 2 weeks or so before your hunt and have surgery after the season. Shawn

25-Jun-22
I had both my knees replaced in November 1 of last year. I am 48 years old, in athletic shape for my age prior to surgery and continue to be. I wouldn’t have been ready in the time frame you speak of even though the surgery went great, the therapist was outstanding, I did exactly what I was told and then continued an exercise regiment to this day. I would definitely be ready now though to fully participate in a moose hunt. Maybe I wouldn’t have been ready because I had surgery on both at the same time, but just giving you my experience.

25-Jun-22
I had both my knees replaced in November 1 of last year. I am 48 years old, in athletic shape for my age prior to surgery and continue to be. I wouldn’t have been ready in the time frame you speak of even though the surgery went great, the therapist was outstanding, I did exactly what I was told and then continued an exercise regiment to this day. I would definitely be ready now though to fully participate in a moose hunt. Maybe I wouldn’t have been ready because I had surgery on both at the same time, but just giving you my experience.

25-Jun-22
Me thinks if ya know your knees are shot anyway, grinding them up some more isn't the issue. Shots can get ya tuned up for the moose hunt. You "think" you can get the surgery at the end of July....what if it gets pushed back? Say ya got the surgery on August 1st.....October 1st is about 62 days later. If it got pushed back to August 15th, now you're down to about 45 to 47 days.

The recovery time from the surgery is the unknown and it's not guaranteed you'll be back to moose shape in time. You'll have some serious coin tied up in the hunt. So...take the pain and shots or roll the dice on the recovery time. As Clint would say...."are ya feeling lucky?"

25-Jun-22
Sorry for the double post, don’t know why it happened.

25-Jun-22
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm meeting with my doctor on Wednesday to talk over my options.The good thing is my doctor is a big time hunter and he understands the desire to go.

26-Jun-22
Sorry for the double post, don’t know why it happened.

26-Jun-22
I’m with bou! Time it out and get the injection about a day before you leave ..

26-Jun-22
I had both knees replaced in my late 60s. I would not have wanted to have gone on a moose hunt that soon after either of them. For recovery a big part is letting the knee heal and keeping swelling down while establishing range of motion. Too much exercise can hurt the healing process. I have two friends who did that and now have what appear to be permanent problems. Can you reschedule the hunt to next year?

26-Jun-22
Goyt, I'm going with my brother and my brother's friend who lives in Canada. Thanks for your input.

27-Jun-22
CBD/CBG. 35 MCG under the tongue AM and PM fixed my sore knees and changed my life. Research it before you do something more drastic. It works for many older outdoor people I know with joint issues.

27-Jun-22
I had a double knee replacement about 6 years ago both done at the same time. I did all the physical therapy and more. The left knee turned out adequate but the right did not. I’ve had “manual manipulation” where they anesthetize you and force the knee to bend twice, (horribly painful when you wake up) and internal scar tissue removal once. That knee only bends to about 75 degrees now and is very painful. It has been a life changing experience, I can’t ride a bike or motorcycle anymore, cross country ski or snowshoe and even walking in the woods is quite difficult. Before you have this surgery know that they don’t all turn out well. Cotton

27-Jun-22
Had mine done February 15. Doing great now. Went on bear hunts in Manitoba and Saskatchewan end of May first of June. Just shy of four months. My two cents…… Take the shots… surgery when you’re done with hunt. First couple months are no picnic! Can’t imagine attempting your schedule. Good luck!!

27-Jun-22
Thanks to everyone for the input. I'm probably leaning to waiting till after the hunt, trying CBD/CBG and maybe waiting until after deer rut. I will see what my doctor says Wednesday.

27-Jun-22
Also consider PRP. I get way better results with that over Steroids or Monovyst. Relief starts in about a week, peaks at about 1-3mos (usually lasts all the way through hunting season) and good for 6-12mos unless I do something stupid like ski or hike without a weapon in may hands.

28-Jun-22
I had my right knee replaced the end of February 2018. Three weeks later I was running a chainsaw (that was dumb). I hunted turkeys at 6 weeks. I was told my recovery was really quick. I did my left knee the end of February 2019. A little bit quicker recovery. Still after two months if I did too much I would have some swelling and tenderness. I don't think I would want to risk a moose hunt after two months.

30-Jun-22
Thanks everyone. I went to my doctor (who is a hunter) and he said that he can get me through the moose hunt and the whitetail rut. He said we should schedule the knee replacement around the first of the year.

01-Jul-22
Great. I am glad that it is working put for you. Make sure that you take plenty of pain killers. The opioids are great at first, but my experience is that they lose effectiveness very quickly. That is why people increase the dosage and become addicted. Aleve worked well for me.

02-Jul-22
Good luck. Think you and your doctor are making the best decision. I would be very interested in not only how your hunt goes, but also the following surgery…Greg

02-Jul-22
Good Luck, Now get in shape, strengthen the legs, in prep for the hunt and the surgery. It will aid recovery. Have the surgery, do what you are told, follow PT and no more than told to do. To much can cause issues as well. Good Luck with all of this. Oh ice is your friend!

02-Jul-22
Been through many knee surgeries over the years, but the knee replacement I had several yrs ago took a good year to get my woods legs back, spent many times stumbling and looking up, broke several rips on one fall. Starting up with synvix shots on the other knee that doesn't have a knee cap, replacement will be in future, at 70 had a good journey but a rough ride.

02-Jul-22
Like you my knees are shot. VA Dr's have been trying to get me to do the surgery over 3 years now. I get cortizone about every 6 months & they last (so far) a little over 3. I'm older & asked, can you guarantee I will be better. They say NO. EVERY person recovers differently. I have 3 close friends that have done them (40s, 50 & 60s age) 40 year old says he's worse. 50 is doing great & 60 wishes they had never had it done.. So many variables for each.. Good luck in whatever you decide.

02-Jul-22
I'm in pretty good shape working construction , hunting and hiking. I had both knees replaced at the same time November 29, 2017. I went back to work with limits after 2+ months. A moose hunt is not like a bear hunt. I would not recommend going that soon after the surgery. My worst part was the fact the the inactivity except for therapy caused me to lose 20 pounds. It was all my muscle. Took me at year or more to build back up at age 61

02-Jul-22
Again, thanks to everyone. I do a lot of walking and I am planning to get some pool time. Good thing my brother is a good pack mule. :)

02-Jul-22
Getting new foot gear and GOOD insoles can do wonders!

03-Jul-22
Google “knees over toes” this guy has awesome way to train your knees. I’ve got weak knees and have been doing his exercises for about 8 months now. Crazy how strong my knees have become

04-Jul-22
These threads....

Why don't you talk about your concerns with your doctor?

07-Aug-22
Not all knee replacements go well! I had a double knee replacement and the right one seized almost immediately. 2 manual manipulations were done which were extremely painful and then they opened it back up to remove adhesions and the best it’ll bend is 75 degrees. I was an extremely active hunter, motorcycle rider, skier etc and it ended or limited very much all of those activities. It was the “WORST” decision I ever made. Live with the pain. Cotton

07-Aug-22
have the surgery when the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks

05-Sep-22
I would take some steroid pills that your doctor would get for you. You take a different amount each day over a five day period. They may get you thru the hunt.

05-Sep-22
Take my "cheap" advice. May be all you need.

18-Sep-22

• Sitka Gear