Buffalo1 29-Jun-22
28-Jun-22
Maybe you can borrow Forestbow"s dog?

;-)

Matt

28-Jun-22
Nerf gun they are scary

28-Jun-22
A lariat braided from the hairs of a horse’s tail. Sit in the middle and those low down belly crawlers wouldn't crawl over it. To irritating and stinky.

28-Jun-22
We captured/trap snakes by using buried silt/fabric fence. We put small gaps in the fence with a pitfall trap to catch them. The snakes get to the fence and can’t go over so they parallel the fence until the get a gap to go through. You could install a fabric fence around the blind that is buried 6 inches or so and about 18-24” high. That would keep them out.

28-Jun-22
Would a pet Mongoose make too much racket in your blind?

28-Jun-22
I don't think I would hunt there... But that's just me :)

28-Jun-22
Stix, you might try bringing your pet King or Gopher snake in there with you. Kidding of course but I once left my antelope hunt area with four less sidewinders. That northern Colorado strain of rattlers has to be the meanest around. I wouldn't put a dog at risk as one put out the eye of my grandfather's dog back in the day. He used kerosene to flush the eye (supposedly to save his life which it may have as the dog lived). BTW, don't think that you are fast enough to stab one in the head with your broadhead (don't ask how I know this), Badbull

28-Jun-22
T-Rex x2

28-Jun-22
I hunted a spot in Nevada that had over a dozen rattlers in the first mile of trail. They were having a convention and forgot to send me the memo.

I like the roll of drain fabric idea. Dig a shallow trench around that blind and bury a skirt of that fabric to seal off the bottom.

28-Jun-22
I took a sheet and pinned it about every 2" with safety pins all around the bottom. It was very tight and I was confident in the situation. One might have struck, but not upward. If you see a moving sheet, beware. I always thought mothballs would help., but its hard to get them cut off.

28-Jun-22
Kill them out.

28-Jun-22
I once had a ten foot tower blind with some carpet-like material in the bottom. Got up in it one morning and before light I hear some movement on the floor. Needless to say I was pretty vigilant until it got light enough to see. It turned out to be a couple of ringtail kittens under that material, but I had several anxious minutes before I figured that out. No help on keeping the rattlers out.

28-Jun-22
Crap, hair on the back of my neck stood up just reading this….

29-Jun-22
Would a pet Mongoose make too much racket in your blind?

29-Jun-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Prairie rattler from this afternoon

29-Jun-22
Dang JohnMC, that's a cool photo and magazine worthy.... Colorado snake? The skin would have made a great backing for a stickbow...

29-Jun-22
Yep CO

29-Jun-22
Well maybe you could look for a snake guy in the area and see if he might come out and catch some before the season starts, at least it would minimize the numbers. Otherwise , a weed wacker and cut the area down to give little cover for them to hide in? I'd be freaked to hunt that. Kind, I'd find a new one. Good luck.

29-Jun-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
All the chemical deterrents I am familiar with are sulphur based and have a strong odor- not sure if deer/antelope would mind it, but they would sure smell it.

29-Jun-22
Muley- NEVER say never..................I had a Timber Rattler hit me Straight up high on my shin(13”)

29-Jun-22
I hope y'all kill everyone of those you see!

29-Jun-22

Grasshopper's Link
My professional pest removal guy also recomends snake away.

29-Jun-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
for Muley

Hope everybody is wearing their snakeboots now! (17" boots would have saved me a lot of pain, suffering, time off work and $$$) We're coming up on peak activity (and toxicity) for rattlesnakes ..............................................................

29-Jun-22
I had a ground blind once that was setting on top a rattlesnake den but I didn't know until about the 3rd time I hunted it. Big Diamondbacks. Be good if there were several king sankes hanging around, they will eat them for sure

29-Jun-22

Rock's embedded Photo
Rock's embedded Photo
Stix, How about this one that joined me in my Blind a couple of years ago and coiled up right under the doorway. Really got my attention!!!!

29-Jun-22

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Buffalo1's embedded Photo
I created a hostile environment yesterday afternoon while checking trail cameras. Saw this one chilling beside a small pool of water. I was in “killing mode!”

This moccasin was a long skinny variety rather than short and stocky. Still a venomous snake.

• Sitka Gear