2Wild Bill 29-Jun-22
elkmtngear 29-Jun-22
Treeline 29-Jun-22
Treeline 29-Jun-22
peterk1234 29-Jun-22
WV Mountaineer 30-Jun-22
Beaneater 01-Jul-22
29-Jun-22
Thinking of going to a one stick tree stand hunting method. Should I get a 3 or4 step aider and has anyone had any experience using them for hunting. Thanks for your replies.

29-Jun-22
Bought a Black Diamond 5 step aider a few months back, and I've been practicing with it . Takes practice, can get a little sketchy, helps to be flexible, and a bit athletic, with good balance.

Was able to get up almost 24 feet, using just 4 tree steps (the "cam type" steps), measuring from the top step, to the ground. Makes it possible to actually hunt waterholes in the evenings, in the elk woods, given the lightweight and compact total of all gear needed.

29-Jun-22

elkmtngear's embedded Photo

29-Jun-22

29-Jun-22
Jeff, you will be set for our deer hunt in SC this fall too~

29-Jun-22
I give it 10 years and this whole one step Tarzan one rope army maneuver stuff will be a thing of the past. Saddles however, are here to stay.

29-Jun-22
Elkmtgear,

When you are standing on the top of one step, where is the next step up? Is it knee high? And, is your harness tether above you as high as you can reach?

29-Jun-22
"Elkmtgear, When you are standing on the top of one step, where is the next step up? Is it knee high? And, is your harness tether above you as high as you can reach"?

I'm using a lineman's belt type rope to ascend. So, the first step basically goes up almost as high as I can reach, I attach the aider to it, and climb the "rope ladder", pushing my toes into the tree with each step. Repeat for each step, putting the next step up as high as possible.

Convert the lineman's rope into a tether at the top, and supplement the top step with 3 standard tree steps, to serve as the "platform" for the "saddle hunt".

29-Jun-22
Elkmtgear, Please excuse my previous post, I see now what you are suggesting in using an "aider". "can get a little sketchy, helps to be flexible, and a bit athletic, with good balance." So every other step is unstable and dangles below you when you get to the top. IMHO, you are too dependent on being lucky.

I can see an aider for the first step, but then as the risk increases I want more stable footing. That's why I bought the twelve step set(12lbs). Also, my harness tether goes up the tree above the top step which I attach neck/chest high, after the next step at my knee.

29-Jun-22
I could easily attach myself via tether to each step, but I'm more comfortable using the lineman's belt. If you are set in the lineman's belt, it's pretty stable using the aider, if you drive your toes into the tree.

I'm somewhat of a tree monkey anyway, this was a Starlink Dish Installation I did at my place a couple weeks back, I was about 75 to 80 feet up..

29-Jun-22
Bought a bunch of stuff after last hunting season and really need to figure out how to use it….

Did not go the “1-step” method, though.

There was a thread a while back that TD had some great advice on using one step. I think I saved it as a favorite. Will look and copy the link here if I find it.

29-Jun-22

Treeline's Link
Found it!

Go down to TD’s info.

Really worthwhile and should help!

29-Jun-22

peterk1234's Link
Just throwing this out there is a compact light and effective set up.

30-Jun-22
Aiders are dependent on climbing method for me. In the scheme to try new things, I’ve accumulated quite a bit of climbing sticks and wild edge steps for saddle use. Here’s my experience.

For wild edge steps, I never really tried an aider. Because it took me about 5 minutes to figure out they weren’t going to be my favorite. At least for now.

For the hawk heliums I modified by cutting, I use a black diamond 5 step aider. It works well. The sticks are ok nice. But, I chose that aider because the stand off from the tree makes getting your foot deep into the ladder type aiders more work then the BD aider. I just clip it onto the rope that I attach the sticks to the tree with.

For the new skeletor sticks, I use ladder type aiders connected to the steps. The stand off distance plus the way the steps angle out from the tree, makes getting your foot comfortably deep into the steps very easy.

Aiders are t going anywhere. Anytime soon. Yes, on the wrong sticks, they can be a pain in the butt. However, if you try out a few and see which one works best for your steps, they are pretty sand handy when you need to get high in the tree.

01-Jul-22
Thanks for all your replies. You've given really good info. I'll be hunting a little over 3000 acres this year by myself. Mostly timbered ridges, dirty ditches, open pastures and lots of croplands. I will not drive on any of these properties. So, I want to stay highly mobile, and the one stick method looks like it will work the best.

• Sitka Gear