sticksender 04-Jul-22
Inshart 04-Jul-22
Wildan2 04-Jul-22
MA-PAdeerslayer 04-Jul-22
DanaC 04-Jul-22
Buffalo1 04-Jul-22
DanaC 04-Jul-22
03-Jul-22
I collected my computer chips from trail cams this week. On one chip I have 151 images. When I click on an image I get the following message:

"The file image0001.jpg could not be opened in BOLD print. It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn't recognize"

I admit I am not highly trail cam user literate. Does this message mean that the images are lost or can I go to some type of "format program" on my computer to get them to display?

What would be the cause of this issue?

Thanks for your assistance. I'm all ears !!

03-Jul-22
Do not reformat the SD card...you'll loose everything.

Open up the SDHC file and it should show all the files (pics/vids) on the card. Put your pointer on any of the files and a little pop-up should show that tells you how big that file (pic) is. It should show something. If it shows "0", that file is empty and a dud. If all the files show any size and your double click doesn't open it, then right click on it and a pop-up will show. In that pop-up should be a command to "Open". Click that and try that.

I'll also mention that you can have a bunch of files that show "0" in size. Often that is an indication your cam batteries are dying. There is enough juice to start a file but not enough to take a pic.

03-Jul-22
SD card may be corrupt.

03-Jul-22
I had those problems with most of them. Could be about format. If you accidentally format the camera to the chip and then put chip into another camera without reformating chip, it will do that. That's why I use the easiest one's available... happens to be the cheapest ones on the market. Primo. No hassles.

03-Jul-22
Spike.....FWIW

I always reformat my SD cards in my laptop when I'm done viewing and saving the vids or pics I want. The different cams I use do not have an issue with a laptop reformat. I do not need to use the cams to reformat a card if it was done with my laptop.

04-Jul-22
Try reading the card with a different device. If you get the same message, you'll just have to see if you can re-format the card (losing any images that are on it) and then start over. Those memory cards are prone to flaking out.

04-Jul-22
Try putting the chip in a camera and looking at them that way.

04-Jul-22
Also do a full format not a quick format.16gig about 15 minutes,32 half an hour.Have two cards for each camera and don't switch between cameras.

04-Jul-22
I bet the formatting was bad. Unfortunately if it won’t work in a card reader or camera those pics may be gone forever

04-Jul-22
Try opening the files in another program. (I've had this problem with Preview - a Mac program.) I have opened them in LibreOffice - a free Windows clone - and also with Quicktime on my Mac.

04-Jul-22
Thanks for the suggestions. As much as I hate to face the facts, I think my chip is corrupt and the photos are therefore unobtainable.

04-Jul-22
Like I said, try Quicktime. Highlight the file name, use command-I to go the the information panel, set it to that program instead of Preview.

If you click the 'open all files like this with this program', you'll have to go back and reset the preference later

• Sitka Gear