fuzzy 26-Jul-22
ahunter76 26-Jul-22
Fuzzy 29-Jul-22
Fuzzy 29-Jul-22
fuzzy 29-Jul-22
Corax_latrans 29-Jul-22
19-Jul-22

standswittaknife's Link
Can't imagin how a bear could develop such an instinct!

19-Jul-22
'developed' ???

umm...

19-Jul-22
There are several conclusions to be made. People are stupid. Tent walls won’t stop a bear, even a small one. Don’t keep food in your tent if you’re in bear country. Wildlife employees don’t know what they should know. Bears will be bears. And, it bears repeating, people are stupid.

19-Jul-22
Dang that's sad. Mainly the event but also the general understanding of bears by humans.

19-Jul-22
It is sad. It's also a picture of the Grizzly situation in MT. OUT OF CONTROL. Way too many bears. They are being forced into towns to find food. Especially in that part of the state...ungulate populations are down and predators are up. At some point there isn't enough there for them. Every year there are more and more of these events.

19-Jul-22
i'm most impressed that a tax payer teet sucking 11-member committee was assigned to this.

in the real world, we turn to common sense people like drycreek who summed it up perfectly in a few sentences and in less than a minute, and at no cost. :)

19-Jul-22
Wash. Post writer: "....A year later, wildlife officials said the bear that killed her had developed a “predatory instinct."

What a dumb thing to say.

Webster defines "instinct" as: 1 : a natural or inherent aptitude, impulse, or capacity 2a : a largely inheritable and unalterable tendency of an organism to make a complex and specific response to environmental stimuli without involving reason b : behavior that is mediated by reactions below the conscious level

A "Predatory Instinct" is part of the factory installed firmware package for Grizzly bears.

19-Jul-22
I agree! What a rediculous statement! We’re not talking about a black bear. So we’re supposed to believe it is UNUSUAL for a Grizzly to have a “Predatory instinct?” REALLY???!!!

I’d like to know what University they attended................because they obviously didn’t learn much! : (

19-Jul-22
This line says it all, "Although they couldn’t determine exactly how such an instinct evolved."

19-Jul-22
Bizarre

19-Jul-22
Rut, didn’t learn much and came out of school with 200k in debt…..

26-Jul-22
It's very important to the anti-hunting narrative to represent that apex predators are genetically hardwired to see humans as non-prey. This is of course impossible since apex predators by definition view everything as potential prey. The only way humans have established a "paws off" niche with apex predators is by making ourselves too dangerous or too troublesome to be routine prey. We've started to lose that niche and the narrative is unraveling.

26-Jul-22
Many years ago I read an article in Field & Stream or Outdoor life. Anyway, a National sports mag.. I'll give a brief of what I remember. In Canada A fella dropped his son & another kid off to fish a stream & was to come back later & get them. A Black Bear stalked/attacked one of the boys fishing (they had separated). He then drug the boy across the stream to a small island like piece of ground. The Bear then went back across the stream & stalked the other boy, killing him. Feeding some & then covering the body. When the Dad returned he found the horrible scene & notified Game officials. When they got there they told the Dad he could not remove the bodies. They set up a blind & a Warden & the Dad sat, waiting for the Bear to return.. His son was bear bait (I can't even imagine). Anyway, the Bear did return & proceeded to stalk them in the blind. He was killed. Evidence proved it was "the Bear". The Bear was apparently in good health also. We never know what a wild critter may develop to take food.. Lets face it, there are many animals out there that if they truly "realized" how easy prey we are, more would be on the dinner menu.

29-Jul-22
ahunter76, there are several black bear stories like that over the years. Do you know the one about the Irish female oil-sands worker in Labrador a few years back? Very tragic and preventable if even one person at the work site had been armed (Canadian gun laws suck)

29-Jul-22
https://www.cnn.com/2014/05/08/world/canada-fatal-bear-attack/index.html

29-Jul-22
That being said, I like bears, I like living where bears are. I'm cautious and promote caution with friends family and neighbors. I can't imagine living where I do and not being able to be prepared.

29-Jul-22
That there was a mostly empty can o’ spray in the tent does give you pause.

• Sitka Gear