pav 30-Jul-22
Catscratch 30-Jul-22
Pat Lefemine 30-Jul-22
BullBuster 01-Aug-22
Catscratch 01-Aug-22
Starfire 01-Aug-22
Bow Crazy 02-Aug-22
30-Jul-22
What are your thoughts on Mixing clover and alfalfa together for a new food plot?

30-Jul-22
I think they are very compatible and I just planted a 50/50 alfalfa/clover plot in Ohio

30-Jul-22
Just don't let them go into full bloom in the Spring and Summer. Keep them cut.

30-Jul-22
Tried converting two ladino clover plots into ladino clover/alfalfa plots in the spring of 2021. Today, both plots are 80%+ clover...very little alfalfa survived. Assumed if one legume would dominate the other...it would be alfalfa. Assumed wrong...

30-Jul-22
I mix red clover, white clover, alfalfa, and. chicory in a lot of my plots. Depending on what your conditions are one will eventually win out. Until then the mix is adapted to many situations; when it's hot and dry and the clover is drying down... the alfalfa and chicory is excelling. Etc.

30-Jul-22
Clover will always win over alfalfa. Deer will browse the alfalfa at far higher rates than clover.

01-Aug-22
Agree. Clover always takes over the alfalfa in my plot experience, unfortunately. I’ve even had pure alfalfa stands next to clover and the clover spread into it and soon dominated.

01-Aug-22
I imagine weather patterns, soil composition, and browse pressure all factor in quite a bit. I was in a 7 yr old plot this weekend. After several weeks of 100+ degree temps and no moisture the clovers are pretty dried down. Low and behold there is a significant amount of alfalfa blooming and looking great compared to everything else. Didn't notice it earlier in the summer when the clover was strong but given the opportunity it's shining. Deer are still using the plot so I'm content.

01-Aug-22
My uncle always called alfalfa a type of clover when he was a dairy farmer so I would think you could blend it like any other mixture of clovers. My understanding is alfalfa makes better hay bails because it likes to be mowed and has higher protien and dries better. clover is better for grazing since it does not need to be mowed as often. Alfalfa is more drought tolerant and likes sandier soils than clover which likes more of a loam and likes more moisture.

02-Aug-22
I used a 3-way mix of clover, alfalfa and chicory. The deer love really like it a lot. for the past three springs I've frost seed a mix of 3 forbs into the plot. What I really noticed this year is that the forbs have taken over the plot. There is some clover, but not a lot, the chicory is still going good. The deer still seem to really like it. It will be interesting to see this fall how they like it. We have ag alfalfa around us and the deer love it up until it's covered with snow. BC

• Sitka Gear