onX Maps
Africa Night Hunt - wheels up in 7 days!
International
Contributors to this thread:
MrPoindexter 05-Aug-22
Chief 419 05-Aug-22
JohnMC 05-Aug-22
Buffalo1 05-Aug-22
Huntcell 05-Aug-22
MrPoindexter 05-Aug-22
Medicinemann 05-Aug-22
MrPoindexter 05-Aug-22
MrPoindexter 06-Aug-22
05-Aug-22
I am headed back to Africa - first hunting trip for me since 2019 due to COVID. This will be a night hunt on a lot of evenings plus a normal hunt during the day. #1 animal on the agenda isn't a big ticket item, but I really want a honey badger. I also saw some photos of a really great looking waterbuck that I am looking forward to getting.

I have upgraded all my video gear to the point I think it is better than what my videography company was using so we are using my gear instead. Everything will be shot in 4k or higher.

In the past, I had all my safaris edited into one long video of the whole safari. I am wondering if I should continue that way or make several shorter videos each dedicated to one animal. When you guys watch hunting videos, do you prefer shorter ones you can watch without dedicating a lot of time to, or something longer and more cinematic?

05-Aug-22
Mike, I prefer video length in the 10-20 minutes. I took an African porcupine while we were out riding around one night. Great fun and they’re a lot bigger than I expected. Plenty of critters to hunt at night. Sounds like a fun trip.

05-Aug-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Poor man’s Leopard hunt.

My Honey Badger hunt was very exciting. Ken Moody’s team hung an Impala in a tree. Put up a camera. Then when 2 badgers were coming in. Built a blind. We were prepared for a long night sit but they came in right before dark.

05-Aug-22
Do which ever floats your boat. Because you and anyone else on the hunt are really the only one that matters. It will likely mean a lot to you. Not so much to anyone else.

05-Aug-22

05-Aug-22
African night hunting is a unique experience- like seeing a totally different side of Africa.

Take enough warm clothes because riding in the back of a pick-up can get pretty chilly.

Enjoy the experience !!

05-Aug-22
shorter the better. no meet and great 5-10 min of back slapping man hugs in the intro. skip the in cab video montage of speedometer, temp and other gauges, and messy dash board, and the dizzying quick in cab camera movements.

a 3 or 4 camera angle of the kill shot and real time blood trailing and call it good and onto the next kill.

05-Aug-22
I remember how cold it can get. I nearly froze myself into a vasectomy when sitting for a brown hyena one night in Namibia. Unfortunately, it was all for naught. Maybe I will have one visit this time.

05-Aug-22
Good luck, Mike!! I don't care how long the video is....as long as you share it here....LOL!!

05-Aug-22
I tell you guys what, I am new to this board but I like it a lot. Beats the hell out of on another talk about archery site. I will be posting a good amount of videos. I have four international hunts in the next 12 months and hope to keep up a good pace for many years to come as I progress on my slams.

06-Aug-22
I tell you guys what, I am new to this board but I like it a lot. Beats the hell out of on another talk about archery site. I will be posting a good amount of videos. I have four international hunts in the next 12 months and hope to keep up a good pace for many years to come as I progress on my slams.

06-Aug-22
Good luck!

• Sitka Gear