SaddleReaper 17-Aug-22
Cj0n3s12 17-Aug-22
CTBobcat 17-Aug-22
Ron Niziolek 17-Aug-22
TD 19-Aug-22
11-Aug-22

Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Sending my Super Slam paperwork in today has me remembering all the hunts and why I decided to take on the challenge in the first place.

11-Aug-22
Happy for you Tim, amazing effort and accomplishment!

11-Aug-22

So still new to Archery in 2001, I’d taken Whitetail, Black Bear, Hogs and some Exotics, felt my shooting and hunting abilities were “top notch”, little did I know! Got invited on a Central Barren Ground Caribou hunt, only knew it was Caribou and was unaware there are 5 species. This hunt really ignited my thoughts of hunting different species. With 2 tags, I arrowed a nice Bull on the first day ended the hunt with a larger bull but because I didn’t know as much as I thought, he had a bullet hole in him. I vowed to get better!

11-Aug-22
This will be good…

11-Aug-22
Great accomplishment that very few archers get to achieve.

11-Aug-22
Looking forward to the recap!

11-Aug-22
Outstanding!

11-Aug-22
Congratulations

I remember reading your stories on bowsite when I first found it a long time ago.

This will be awsome!

11-Aug-22
Again, an amazing accomplishment, worthy of a book. Happy we get the 1st hand account here!

11-Aug-22
Congratulations Tim, such an incredible accomplishment!

11-Aug-22
Thanks for posting the harvest sheet. It looks like a 21 year effort!! We don't hear too much about elk hunting in Mexico. A big congrats again......

11-Aug-22
Congratulations that’s a great accomplishment.

11-Aug-22
Awesome!

11-Aug-22
Awesome Tim!

11-Aug-22
Impressive. Congratulations on a hard earned accomplishment.

11-Aug-22
Good thread... MBGA ! Make bowsite great again ;)

11-Aug-22
Congratulations that’s a great accomplishment.

11-Aug-22
Species that you have killed more than one of how did you decided which to list. First one, biggest one, the hunt that stands out most?

11-Aug-22
Keep 'em coming bud!!

11-Aug-22

2002 finds me hunting Canadian Moose near Lesser Slave Lake, Alberta. Again no idea there are 3 species but I’ve learned to shoot Broadheads before heading out. Some here will remember certain heads shot on certain shafts better, used to number arrows, #1 was always the best shooter!

First afternoon out we’re calling and get 3 Bulls answering, finally one comes into our clearing at last light, I hit him with number 1 right behind the shoulder, he jumps 5 yards and I hit him with number 2. He’s down in less than a minute! Walking up on him I’m shaking I’m so excited, I never looked at his antlers before I shot! Still was over the top excited!

I named this Moose Lilly as Hurricane Lilly hit my hometown directly the day I shot him, I was completely unaware!

11-Aug-22

Whitetails and Bears consumed 2003/2004, in 2005 I’m off to Lilooet, BC for a cat hunt. Flying into Vancouver late, Abe Dougan picks me up and we drive all night, in a heavy snowstorm, to Lilooet. We wake Abe’s Dad and friend, eat breakfast and are waiting for enough light to see tracks. We head out, 100yards into our area we cut a smoking hot track, put a dog down and she strikes! Turn ‘em loose boys! 30 minutes straight up and the cat is bayed! Too fast for houndsmen so they “dick around” until the cat jumps the tree. 3 hours later I put a well placed arrow through his heart!

11-Aug-22

2006, saw Jack Brittingham’s video of new P&Y Brown Bear, found an outfitter around Lake Iliamna Alaska. Hunting with best friend Bert Stelly was a bonus, he took me under his wing and I became a much better Bowhunter. Late spring had us starting slow, I’d only seen one juvenile boar in the first 8 days of hunting, Bert had seen zero. Day 9 we motor up a small stream to a lake, I spot a good boar, I learned that day to take control of your hunt. Non-Bowhunting guides sometimes don’t get it, don’t be afraid to ask them to “hold your beer” while you get it done. One arrow and the boar is down, falling into the lake! I learned how to avoid hyperthermia and bears don’t float!

Bert ended up with a dream boar just shy of 10 feet with Literally minutes left to hunt.

11-Aug-22

2008 became the most pivotal year, guess you could call it my awakening! I’d mostly been tagging along with others or going with friends. This year I booked a spring Black-bear with Pat Garrett, he was a sponsor of Bowsite! I’d shot several Black Bears with my bow by then, all black, I wanted a color phase. 4th night on stand, a stud of a boar, jet black comes in. 2 tags in my pocket, I take him. 2 hours later a B&C boar steps over the boar I shot earlier and quarters away. I can’t let down.

11-Aug-22

August, I’m able to learn so much from guys on Bowsite that I feel prepared for what many call the toughest (physically) hunt in North America, Mountain Goat. I’d signed up for and completed a full marathon in Pocatello Idaho a few weeks prior. Had sourced good gear and was shooting out to 100 yards. We are hunting Telegraph Creek area, bought tags from Outfitter, so hunting unsupported, ie: lots of Bushwacking!

Day 4 we find Billeys, rifle hunter Bob Schermer takes a B&C, I’m able to get an arrow into a monster! Took us until the next afternoon to recover him but we thought we had the new P&Y record. I attended Grand Slam that winter to get an award, learned of this N/A 29 challenge!

11-Aug-22
Congratulations Tim!!

11-Aug-22
This will be a good one. Thank you for taking the time!! Hunter

11-Aug-22

Got back a day early from that hunt, ran the marathon at 203 lbs, I was weighing 185 lbs by the time I got home. I’d completely forgot I’d promised 2 friends I’d got to New Mexico for a Pronghorn hunt if I got back in time. We drove straight through to Silverton, up the next day we met the landowner we purchased tags from, he showed us the boundaries of the ranch and turned us loose. Monsoons had water everywhere and we were too early for rut so a decoy wasn’t working. Spot and stalk was the option. Day 2 Bert arrows a nice Buck, day 3 I draw on a giant, at release the arrow blows up, QAD failure. I learned to always pack a whisker biscuit that day. I borrow the 3rd hunters backup bow, inch longer draw, adjust my anchor, shoot in the parking lot of the hotel until the manager gets fussy! Back out in the field, I’m closing in on a great Buck, 67 yards and I can’t get closer. He’s calmly feeding, bow has 3 pins, 20-30-40, holdover? I draw and close my eyes, imagining the elevation on a seventy yard shot, open my eyes I’m about 6” over the back of the Buck, I steady and release. He scored like 82” if I remember.

11-Aug-22
That is awesome and inspiring!!! Congrats on your success.

11-Aug-22

2008 was also the first year to draw a tag, New Mexico Elk in the Gila. We had an outfitter set up a base at the trailhead and hunted out of it. 3rd evening Bulls we’re pretty quiet, heard 2 fighting, I ran in and shot one, both were satellite Bulls but my first Elk DYI Archery.

11-Aug-22

So after that year, 8 animals in towards the slam, I figure 3 animals a year, 7 years. Easy right? I was pretty dumb for a 46 year old!

2009 my first Sheep Hunt, Dall Sheep in Alaska. Met Chris Blair a Kiwi in New Zealand who also guided in Alaska, I had no idea NWT existed! I called the Outfit Chris guided for and talked to Coke Wallace, he had a good laugh when I said I was coming up with the bow. I remember winning a bet at the airstrip waiting on a bush flight, I hit an 8” circle at 100 yards. Shot my Ram on day 2 at 70 yards, didn’t see why people thought sheep hunting was so hard. Like I said dumb as a rock!

11-Aug-22

I’d been Hunting the King Ranch for a few years by then Nilgia Antelope, Hogs and Predators. I was able to get a trophy Whitetail hunt in the rut. They had a beautiful Wide 10 point with a drip tine on camera, second day in the blind he comes in 16 yards broadside, I let him have it from the ground blind. He runs off, it’s raining, no blood, I was sure the hit was good. We don’t find him, I stay another day to shoot a cull Buck, at first light my Buck is back chasing does. I shoot him again, 2-3 inches further back, he’s down in seconds. The first shot was in the Thoracic Cavity and lungs but just, I learned about the “void” that day.

11-Aug-22
Very nice! Congrats. You've been to some wonderful places on that journey.

11-Aug-22
This is the kind of thread that got me hooked on bowsite years ago!

11-Aug-22

A little Cocky going into 2010, haven’t eaten “tag soup”, only a few missed weather days, travel good and no lost baggage. August I’m in Kavik, I meet Sue Aiken before she’s famous. Overnighting in her camp until I can get flown out to a spike camp. I have my tag and ask her if I can hunt on my own, green light! Several rifle hunters in camp asking the “did you need backup” while drinking beer and sitting on their asses! I see a nice bull but he’s across the river, I peel down to my drawers and start to cross, damn Caribou crosses below me. I throw my clothes on and attempt to cut him off. Thank god he’s not on the move just feeding and being a Caribou. I get out in front but at 92 yards I’m out of cover, the arrow flies true, he’s down. I was able to talk a young guy in camp into helping me pack out, otherwise I might still be there. Rifle hunters were not willing to help and razzing me, claiming I shot a cow. Trophy came in on the last load, Sue saw it and was Unrelentless on the rifle hunters. I stayed the week and hunted with my second tag, ended up taking a cow for camp meat.

11-Aug-22
Right after that hunt I head to Redstone for Mountain Caribou with Medicine-man, Warren Strickland and Chase Fultuer, all we’re chasing the slam and have since completed it. We land the Otter on the lake, I get my gear out and begin to help unload supplies. The pipe used to pump water from the lake to the kitchen is frosty and slippery. I fall using my left hand the break, I tear my Rotator Cuff. I try to hunt the week, all the other guys take nice Bulls, tag soup, I learn to deal with setbacks.

11-Aug-22

Sorry, prior to the Kavik Caribou I hunted Musk Ox that Spring in Holman. Got a bunch of gear from guys here on the site and solid advice on how to deal with the cold. I rented a snow machine to avoid the Qumutiik, was an awesome hunt. I tried the get my Bull to charge me like the Miranda Video, I didn’t happen .

11-Aug-22

Spring 2011 I’m back with Coke Wallace in Healy Alaska hunting Grizzly near Denali. Interesting hunt in that we run across barefooted hippies trying to get to the “bus”! There’s a movie, “Into the wild” you guys can look it up, but hippies make a pilgrimage there and throw rice at it. It’s damn cold and the river just broke, no way these guys are going to make it. Day 3 we’re using a foxpro (moose calf distress) to try to get a bear to us. I’m sitting by the speaker, Coke is some 40 yards behind me, I ask him what do we do if a sow and cubs come in, he smiles. We move locations, I pick up movement in some heavy timber, I get an arrow on string. I’m thinking moose but it’s a nice boar, blond with dark feet. I range at 22 yards as he comes out of the timber. Instead of doing what Grizzlies normally do he puts his head down and ears back comes straight at us. I draw, Coke tells me to shoot, no opening! Coke tells me again to shoot and takes the safety off of the gun. The metallic click has the bear pick up his head ever so slightly, I feed him an Easton Shaft with a Muzzy MX 125grain. He falls back on his butt, begins to roar as blood is pouring out of him, he falls over dead in seconds! Lucky I am!

11-Aug-22

I eat tag soup on a Quebec/Lab hunt, took 2 guys on there first travel hunt, played guide and the Caribou disappeared the last two days. While I liked the company, I figured I couldn’t change the fact that I’m going to help friends, maybe I should hunt solo? Early 2012 I’m down in Mexico with Frank Noska, hunting is slow at waterholes, I end up stalking a decent Buck, shot another really good one, left him overnight, nothing left in the morning.

11-Aug-22
Congratulations and thank you for sharing some of your hunts with us. That is an amazing accomplishment!

11-Aug-22
What an incredible accomplishment! Thanks for writing it all up!

11-Aug-22
I’ll ask - what did it cost to get the 29?

I also know the old adage “If you have to ask the price you can’t afford it “

I can’t afford it ;)

11-Aug-22
This is the kind of thread that got me hooked on bowsite years ago!

12-Aug-22
So I am currently at zero out of 29. You said 3 per year, so 10 years, right? lol

I am headed to Africa for my last trip I will ever take in August. That will be reserved for North American hunts now. I need some good stateside stories like you guys have. I look forward to hunting with some of the people here, should I be so lucky.

12-Aug-22
Cnelk without the repeats, inclusive of hunts, travel, tips, taxidermy, gear and misc. I could have done it for about $500k. With all repeats another $185k. Sadly today I think the four sheep would be $250k if you could be successful on all of them the first time.

12-Aug-22

April finds me in Coral Harbour, the great white bear! I bought a cancellation hunt through Grand Slam, wanted to go to Resolute Bay but I couldn’t walk away from the savings. Worst weather I’ve every experienced, was on the island for 3 weeks and had 3.5 days of hunting. Saw one boar on thin ice, we couldn’t consider chasing and 2 sows with cubs. Liking my wounds in Winnipeg, the outfitter calls and tells me to get my ass back up there, he’d pay for Arctic flight. I went home for 4 days, back up on the ice, it’s May now. Weather a little better. Day 2 we see a legal bear, definitely not a dream bear, don’t pass on the first day an animal you would shoot on the last? I don’t always practice that but this time I did. Great story on the chase and kill, but I was elated with my 8.5 foot bear. I learn that sometimes cheap ain’t good.

12-Aug-22

August of 2012 I’m in Medford Oregon, Columbia Blacktail. We scout the day before the season opener, set up and brush a ground blind. Evening of the first day I connect with a really nice Buck. I’m learning that I really prefer spot and stalk hunts.

12-Aug-22
2013 is a kick in the nuts! I’d shot a good whitetail in Kansas a few years back, outfitter was not ethical, I knew this but he was putting us on world class deer and I thought I was completely legal, until I wasn’t. Hunting in the wrong zone is definitely bad, me being unaware is no excuse, I got hammered both in court and here on Bowsite. Deservedly so, at least for here. I was sentenced to Restitution and a year of no hunting, fishing,guiding, or being within 500 feet of such activities. This was by the DOJ (Feds) we had worked out a different agreement with Kansas but. I had 2 Canadian hunts that year and a few in the states, Canada wasn’t effected, I pushed us hunts back. The judge who sided with the DOJ was over 100 years old, he passed away soon after sentencing me. New judge was installed, I requested her to look at my case, she ordered a termination of probation. Still I was only hunting Canada that year. A 4 generation black bear hunt in May was special. I headed to Vancouver Island for Roosevelt Elk, put 2 arrows in the Thoracic cavity of a large Bull, never recovered. Head straight to Lilooet for California Big Horn, shoot I really nice one, he falls into the Fraser river! I eat both tags and limp home. Low point of my hunting career.

12-Aug-22

2014 I’ve got my head and priorities straight. Quebec Lab Caribou in September. Shared camp with Rick Dougan, 8 of us in camp we paired up. I’m with Todd Grimm, he’s here on the site. We don’t see many bulls the first 4 days, with 2 tags a take a fat cow, I like to eat Caribou. Richard Hume moves us, Todd and I get on a couple of very large Bulls. We close the deal, I think Todd’s was #1 for the year.

12-Aug-22
Amazing Tim-I see that Mountain Goat is still #8 in the world!

12-Aug-22
INCREDIBLE and INSPIRING. Thanks Tim

12-Aug-22
Great thread. Looking forward to the rest

12-Aug-22

Bison is next with Mike and Dixie, October. Such an Amazing hunt, Mike (now deceased) was a guy you loved to spend time with, his property was world class and Bison had been a dream since watching westerns as a brat kid. Kyle Hudgins and Travis Todd were in camp, still great friends. I come in late and most guys have shot their Bulls, some hunting Bears on carcasses, some moose and one Stone sheep. I hunt base camp for a few days, head out to spike. Horses are proving to be a major pain, I elect to hike. Shoot a good Bull 3rd day out, hit is solid, I sit down and begin to eat lunch, let the Bull expire. Guide has other ideas, Bull is pushed into heavy timber. With fresh snow it a fairly easy track but we’re very far from camp and are just pushing him further. Back at camp Mike calls, he’s flying me out in the morning, weather coming in. I talk to Mike and we fly over the area where my bull was last seen, we spot him from the air, 1/2 Mile where we broke off pursuit. By the time Mike gets him the predators have eaten most. I get the skull and am able to get a hide. Guide feels so bad he mounts my Bull for me.

12-Aug-22

November, it’s the wife’s Birthday. I get a call from Sergio, Carmen Island. I’d hunted there earlier that year, shot a nice Ram, he rolled down the hill into a gully, my first instinct was to put another arrow in him. Gaspar, amazing young guide hugs me, “ No señor he dead!”, well he wasn’t and even with an Amazing Blood trail, we never recovered him. Sergio was giving me 7 days to get another one, problem was it took me 2 days to get there. Heavy swirling winds blow all our stalks for the first 3 days, we are hunting hard and come down the mountain in the dark. Carmen isn’t high elevation but it’s steep and nasty! I’m stepping in Gaspars tracks to avoid slipping, I remember stepping onalarge flat rock before I tumbled, broke 3 ribs. Next morning getting out of bed was horrible, I’m pissing blood and can’t get my bow back. I rest, eat Ibuprofen like candy and soak in warm seawater. Next morning, last day to hunt, I can draw my bow but see stars as I do. We hunt unsuccessfully all day, late afternoon one stalk opportunity left, we see a very nice ram with a ewe. Close in, wind is cooperating, we see the ewe but not the Ram, she’s up and looking, not moving a muscle. The Ram jumps up and onto a Rock just beyond the ewe, Gaspar is ranging, I’m at full draw. Cactus in the way, he can’t see the Ram. I let it fly for 50, hes down. I don’t remember drawing, Adrenaline is a beautiful thing

12-Aug-22
Congratulations! Nice pictures and beautiful animals.

12-Aug-22
Thanks for sharing….this what Bowsite is all about!

12-Aug-22

12-Aug-22
Congratulations!! The Slam is an amazing accomplishment.

12-Aug-22
I love it!!!!

12-Aug-22
Oh man this is soooo good!! Keep it coming Tim! MBSGA!

12-Aug-22
This is awesome Tim! Congratulations!! And you need to work on those biceps - they look a little wimpy

;-)

12-Aug-22

2015 I hunt public land in Oregon for Roosevelt Elk, no shot opportunity, shoot a Woodland Caribou in Newfoundland but it’s not the one I’m entering. And in November I’m around Limon Colorado. First day we spot a nice Buck and put him to bed, conditions aren’t right for a stalk, we backout, will try again tomorrow. Next morning we wake to horrible conditions, heavy winds and snow, it comes down for a couple hours clears/warms and snow begins to melt. We head out, find our Buck after a couple hours of glassing. He’s with half a dozen does, we get a head of them on the trail they’re using, guide ranges, 40 yards! I wiff it over his back! Runs out and stops, I ask the distance, he says too far, I ask again. 90 yards, how does a man miss at 40 and ten ring at 90? I still have a lot to learn!

12-Aug-22
Spectacular adventures, all of them! Such an amazing accomplishment! The highest of highs and the lowest of lows! Looking forward to more! Keep ‘em rolling, Tim!

12-Aug-22
Very cool! Congrats on the slam!

12-Aug-22
Congrats great job!

12-Aug-22
Jesus, you used to be young! ;)

Congrats brother, —jim

12-Aug-22

2016 a redo on Moutain Bou with Cajunarcher, tag soup. Bighorn in Colorado, shoot a good Ram straight down off the Rimrock, unbelievable blood trail, no recovery. I even go back later in the year looking as someone saw a Ram limping badly and in poor condition. No luck. End up on Kodiak with Treeman (great timing Jim) first week of December, shoot a couple of bucks, one is a hog!

12-Aug-22
As you got to the point of knowing your goal was to kill the 29. Was it more about having to get the 29 killed or did you still enjoy the adventures as much as some of the earlier hunts before you knew the 29 was even a thing? Hope that question makes since.

12-Aug-22

2017 I’m hunting Tuchodi for Stone Sheep, I get up to camp a couple days early to scout, good thing, I’m headed out to a rugged area, only one they didn’t scout with first year guide and a green wrangler. First 2 days of scouting we have a couple Rams spotted, couldn’t be in a worse spot but I’m trying to figure out how they come/go. Opening day, horses ran away during the night, rams disappeared, I glass everything I can, no sheep insight. Horses are back that evening, next morning they’re gone again, we’ll all except 2. Guide and I ride out with intentions of looking for a new campsite, we find 23 rams probably pushed from the next valley, we hit the deck and let them pass then hightail it to catch them. We get on top, can’t find them, cut tracks but they hit rocks and we lose them. We eat lunch and nature calls, I walk a respectable distance, look down and see all the Rams bedded below us! 3 shooters, the largest is over 100 yards but only 92 angle compensated. We wait as he’s bedded, finally he stands, of course interference rams/ewes, he clears holding for 95, arrow releases, takes forever to get there. Guide says miss! Shit, all Rams are up, I range number two as the lead Ram has moved off 15 yards after the shot. Arrow knocked, I’m on string about to start my draw cycle, I glimpse at number one, he’s stumbling! Now he’s rolling! Pack out was a bitch!!! 3/4 slammer

12-Aug-22
John, the way I’m wired, I tell everyone my goals, paint myself in a corner. Stubbornness will have me finishing but yes I enjoyed 99% of it, maybe more, we all have moments during a hunt questioning our sanity. Some of my best hunts were towards the end!

12-Aug-22
Treeman’s a good luck charm on Kodiak for everyone but himself!!

Awesome reliving your journey, Tim!! Gonna have to finish it off with a post of the trophy room ;-)

12-Aug-22

December, back in Colorado, Big Horn, Cajunarcher (Lee duet) is in tow. We meet outfitter in Trinidad to get license/tags/supplies, head out to property after lunch. This is a really different Sheep Hunt, you’re on a high plateau hunting down into a canyon, probably 1/4 scale of the Grand Canyon, still formable. Lee, Shane (guide) and I head out late afternoon to scout, I never drink during the hunt but we have a few beers at lunch, and a few while scouting. We pull up on the Rimrock looking down on a guzzler, 40-50 sheep bedded, spotter out, we see a giant Ram. I’m sitting there like a tourist, like lightening it strikes me, this Ram couldn’t be in a more killable spot! Me and Lee sneak down, I hit him behind the shoulder, he takes off, a follow-up shot puts him down for good!

12-Aug-22

12-Aug-22
Congratulations Tim, it's been fun following along through the years.....

12-Aug-22
Congratulations on your amazing accomplishment!

12-Aug-22

2018 2 moose hunts (Alaskan and Shiras). Supposed to hunt with Coke Wallace again but a horse almost killed him, kid named Ray would be my guide. 14 day hunt, slow going, seeing Bulls but no shooters, day 13 we spot a shooter that Eric Vaillancourt (Bowsiter and friend) had spotted the day before. He passes the Bull even tho he has a tag, really wants a Ram first. He’s a legal Bull (50” or 4 brows, he has both), I take a pic from across the river and mark the bulls location. We ride horses down and across the river, tie them up and climb to get behind the Bull. Bull is bedded, I can’t see him but am comfortable I’m in the right spot to move on him when he gets up. Ray doesn’t think so, I let him go for a walk. Just as it begins to pour rain the Bull gets up, I’m crawling down to close distance, I’m probably seventy yards out and my pack comes tumbling down to me. As I catch it the Bull turns and stares, thank god a smaller bull is challenging him and draws his attention. Picking up my binos (rangefinder) I find out the hard way the cups are full of water. I’m in panic mode as the Bull is about out of my shooting window. I grunt and stop him, let the arrow fly, hit a small willow and skim his brisket. The bull jumps, I remember entering the alders and coming out on the other side, arrow and release on string. I draw again guess 80 yards, heart shot. Let the work begin! Trust your instincts!

12-Aug-22

Huntsville Utah, I have a Shiras Moose and Elk tag with the option for a Mule deer, good to have friends. I’m able to take a nice Bull Elk early in the hunt. We are seeing lots of Moose, looking for an exceptional one. 5 days into the hunt we get dumped on, heavy snow of coarse we spot a shooter. Way up in a Valley, few cows with him, I begin the stalk. Heavy snow in waist-high chaparral is horrible, I’m up to my armpits. Spot the Bull, mark the bush he’s in and make my final stalk, as I’m moving from one bush to another I see a cow move out, followed by a bull. I shoot him, a little back as he wasn’t completely stopped. Knock up another arrow, at 40 yards my target bull comes out! Crap!!! He’s starring at me, the other bull is 80 yards now, I shoot him again in rump. He runs all the way up a high pass, if he’s crosses we probably won’t get him. We back out and watch until dark. Rain the next morning is melting most of the snow, tough track, takes us 2 days to find him.

12-Aug-22

2019 Rosy Elk, NorCal with Tim Carpenter, I had a chance at a monster and blew it, I was back for redemption. Day 2 we are seeing lots of Elk, bad spot or on the move. We locate a good Bull, looks like he’s with 12-15 cows and a couple spikes. We move in, getting close the wind swirls, all hell breaks loose, 40-50 Elk are running in every direction, including at us, we duck behind a big spruce. Target Bull is in sight, Tim bugles to challenge him, he stops. 85 yards

12-Aug-22
Back to Canol, 3 days of hard hiking/heavy packs have me dehydrated and cramping, we finally see a special bull. Closing in to 75 yards I take the shot, it’s as if someone pushes the arrow left, like a curveball. Glen and I look at each other. WTF? Bow is shot, so is Caribou with a bullet hole in him, instant regret.

12-Aug-22

Tule Elk with Donald Martin, Tim Carpenter is coming along, he’ll bring my meat a trophy from the Rosy hunt. I drove to California to haul meat, hides, horns and some good wine back. Guys were great, camp was great, food was great, wasn’t particularly set up for a Bowhunt but improvise! Blown stalks, pop-up blind that tuned the elk inside out, we were afraid to push the elk off the ranch. Last day I sneak into a hayfield via a-creek bottom, find a pinch point where the Elk had been entering the field. Bury myself in a reed patch, cut a make shift blind and wait. I hear the Ping of wire as the Elk jump into the field, first Bull 5x5 smallish, second one 5x6 not shabby, third one definitely a shooter. Just moving eyes to keep track of them, #1 is past my shooting lane, #2 is in it and #3 is crap, eating some brush I cut for cover and looking at me, #2 gets the shaft.

Technically I’m a slammer, I just never intended to be anything except an Archery Super Slammer.

12-Aug-22
2020 COVID!

12-Aug-22

2021, still needing only a Mountain Bou to finish, talked with Glenda and we pushed my hunt back to 22 but Tyler Chubb got me a discounted Woodland Bou, mine was not only small but the cape was ruined. If you haven’t hunted with Tyler, consider it, he understands and loves Archery! We got on a great bull, I tend to fall, I did and Unbeknownst to me my release was full of trash. Caribou was unharmed, I was worn out! Next day we head the opposite direction but looking back we find the same big bull, second chance at redemption. During the pursuit we ran a mile in the muck with packs on but an easy 35 yard shot put him down.

12-Aug-22

Story is up on this one! If anyone is going to Grandslam come say HI, first drink on me! Thanks!!!!!

12-Aug-22
Thanks for taking the time to recap and let us follow along. WOW! I need to go shoot my bow more after looking at some of your kill distances. Great accomplishment for sure.

12-Aug-22
Incredible accomplishment and adventures to get there. Congratulations

12-Aug-22
Unreal. What a super human accomplishment. If I did that nobody else would get a chance to tell a story around a campfire. Ever! Congratulations brother!!!!!!

12-Aug-22
Thanks for the recap, Tim! I’m tired out just reading it! Congrats again, on a tremendous accomplishment!

12-Aug-22
Thanks for taking us along Tim! Appreciate your point blank honesty. Should have done one animal/story per day... now what the hell am I gonna do at work? Congrats again.

12-Aug-22
Spectacular achievement! Love the stories! Congratulations!

12-Aug-22
Congratulations on one hell of an accomplishment! I too have enjoyed following your recaps throughout the years. Thanks for sharing.

12-Aug-22
You did really good. Only the 43rd human to accomplish the feat. Congrats!

12-Aug-22
Super awesome congrats

12-Aug-22
Stupendous! Love it! Love your attitude. My sincerest congratulations

12-Aug-22
Awesome journey !! Well earned and deserved award.

Congrats Tim !!

12-Aug-22
Damn! Every hunt is a dream for most people. I can't believe you persevered through all of them. Thanks for sharing!

12-Aug-22
Congrats on a special achievement! Thanks for taking us along on the journey

12-Aug-22
Congrats Tim!! To hear the stories really gives one a sense as to the highs and lows and the physical and mental challenges during this quest. As others have mentioned, thank you for sharing your experiences, both good and bad.

13-Aug-22
What a great lifetime goal.

You did just fine man,

Robb

13-Aug-22
Awesome accomplishment! Congrats on crossing the finish line...and thanks for sharing the journey!

13-Aug-22
Congrats

13-Aug-22
Congrats and thanks for sharing the journey.

13-Aug-22
Congratulations! You are definitely in rare air. This thread really highlights what it takes to accomplish something so amazing.

13-Aug-22
Congrats Tim!A dude for sure....

13-Aug-22
Outstanding... congratulations. Ed F

13-Aug-22
Great collection of amazing adventures, Tim. If I had the resources, I couldn't think of a better way to use them. Congratulations!

13-Aug-22
Atta boy and congrats! Very nice summary of the hunts. Great achievement. Raincheck on that first drink?

13-Aug-22
Thanks Guys! Had to make a lot of Pizzas to make this happen!

Mike you know your first drink is Always On Me!

13-Aug-22
Outstanding. Thanks for taking us along.

13-Aug-22
Don't forget the trophy room pics!

13-Aug-22
Pretty awesome accomplishment. It’s cool to see the recap from guys that have done this and see how long it took and some of the rough roads that were overcome to get there. Congrats Tim. Your are among a pretty small group to see this goal all the way to the end.

13-Aug-22
This has to be one of the greatest threads in the history of Bowsite. The commitment to accomplish that goal is immeasurable. Way to stick with it and finish strong. Well done Tim!

14-Aug-22
Looks like there is positive correlation between the equipment getting better and the beard getting greyer. Thanks for sharing. What a great achievement and could not have been more well deserved and to a nice guy.

14-Aug-22
Congratulations, Tim! One hell of an accomplishment!

14-Aug-22
John x2!! Trophy room pics are a must! Lol

14-Aug-22
Congrats lots of memories

14-Aug-22

Sheep and Goat. Over restrooms.

14-Aug-22

3 Moose, 4 of 5 Caribou, waiting on Woodland to be completed. Pronghorn too.

14-Aug-22

3 bears (Polar in pics, actually waiting on a replica) 5 deer.

14-Aug-22
This thread makes me want to open a pizza shop… Congrats! I remember some reading about some of these hunts as soon as I discovered bowsite, huge accomplishment!

14-Aug-22

3 Elk and a Blackbear.

14-Aug-22

Muskox, Bison and Cougar.

14-Aug-22

Big Gator for Lagniappe!

14-Aug-22
N/A 30 with the gator!

14-Aug-22
Congrats on a great accomplishment. How many different bows did you use over the years? Thanks for sharing your stories.

14-Aug-22
Wow! Hat's off to you sir. Thanks for posting.

14-Aug-22
Pretty awesome!!! Congrats!!

14-Aug-22
Holy cow! Way to go on an awesome journey!

15-Aug-22
Thanks for sharing. So awesome!!!

15-Aug-22
which animal/location did you enjoy the most?

15-Aug-22
What is your next goal

15-Aug-22
Congrats again, big guy! Thanks for take us along Now time for the leopard..

15-Aug-22
Thanks for sharing your accomplishment with us Tim... good work.

Maybe you could share some info on the various bows/set ups used on your journey. Interested in knowing what sight that is in the Canadian Moose pic.

15-Aug-22
Wow! What a read! Gives us some idea of what it takes to get the slam......................

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

15-Aug-22
Tim, Congrats again on one hell of an accomplishment. Since the dawn of time man has been chasing animals with bow and arrow and in that time only 43 people have killed all 29 species with a bow. That is some RARE air my friend!!! Well deserved.

Whats the next goal you are after? Looking back on all the hunts, what were some of the more challenging ones and for what reason?

15-Aug-22
Very nice congratulations!!

15-Aug-22

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
bigeasygator's embedded Photo
Absolutely epic, Tim!

For those that want to follow along graphically, I created a little chart showing how many species Tim was able to harvest each year towards the Slam. He averaged 1.38 species a year, thought it was a little closer to 1.5 when he started taking things a bit more seriously.

For reference, I also mapped a rough cost of hunting the species based on prices in the latest Bowhunting Safari Consultants catalogue. The costs are just for the hunt (no travel, tips, etc) and obviously is for hunting the species a single time - an ambitious assumption for anyone chasing an archery slam. It totals up to $535,000. I imagine when you throw in travel, licenses, tips, unsuccessful hunts and return trips, taxidermy bills, etc the total for anyone starting to chasing the slam these days would be 3-4x that.

Thanks again for the trip down memory lane, bud. We need to go chase something soon.

15-Aug-22
Congratulations on the N29! Thanks for the writeup. I enjoyed it.

15-Aug-22
Congrats again Tim. The NA 29 "summary" was great to read. I remember ready reading the full version of several of these hunts. You have contributed a lot to Bowsite over the years, thank you!!

15-Aug-22
Congrats Tim!! Thanks for the recap it was awesome!

15-Aug-22
Awesome story and accomplishment Tim! Well earned and well deserved, thanks for sharing it with us. Congrats again!

15-Aug-22
Had to wait until I had time to sit down and enjoy the entire read. Well worth the wait!

That's one hell of a bunch of adventure right there. Congrats Tim!

15-Aug-22
What is your next goal now that the slam Is in the rear view mirror?

16-Aug-22
Congrats Tim!! You and the others that have completed the NA29 are a joy to follow. Glad I was able to share a bit of the journey with you at Canol.

17-Aug-22
Tim, it has all been said, but NICELY DONE. Great read. My best, Paul

17-Aug-22
Thanks for taking the time to share the hunts Tim! One thing I found interesting was how many animals were lost falling off cliffs or into rivers. Something an eastern hunter doesn't really have to contend with, but I'm sure it happens often in the mountains. That has to be heart breaking. Your level of drive is very apparent in the pursuit of the 29 and in life in general! You're truly an inspiration Tim. I'd suspect the progression of the (bow) NA29 list is going to slow down.... but your names are forever etched into the records. Pretty dang cool.

17-Aug-22
What an accomplishment.. thanks for the readings

17-Aug-22
Wow. Great read. Congrats

17-Aug-22
As said by others, congrats Tim, and thanks for writing about your journey. Nothing but respect here for having the perseverance, physical ability, hunting ability and dedication to completing your dream!

19-Aug-22
Awesome on a stick. Congrats doesn't scratch the surface, but many thanks for hanging here over the years and sharing your adventures. Pretty special.

Also special was watching the beard phase change over the years. =D

Commitment and likely a side order of stubborn. You never lose until you quit. You never quit until they make you stop. Pretty cool.

• Sitka Gear