Rut Nut 10-Feb-24
Shug 10-Feb-24
Shug 10-Feb-24
Bowboy 11-Feb-24
BC173 11-Feb-24
CTBobcat 12-Feb-24
Ironbow 12-Feb-24
15-Aug-22
BigPizzaman’s thread got me wondering........................

How many Bowsiters have taken the NA 29 with a bow? And who are they?

Also wondering who is currently on the quest?

15-Aug-22
Only 43 people currently have and Archery Super Slam. Bowsite has had a number of these guys post over the years. Kyle Hudgins, Ned Greer, Tim Metcalf (just finished his) Jake Ensign quickly come to mind. Frank Noska and Chuck Adams have posted on here over the years. I know a couple other guys are getting very close. It is one hell of an accomplishment to achieve. My hats off to all of them. One thing that they all seem to have in common, at least the gentleman that I mentioned above, is they all seem to be extremely nice people.

15-Aug-22
Rut,

Usually at the first of the year I pop a thread up titled "how many species" there is a bit of "29" chatter and accomplishments in it. I will bump it up now.

15-Aug-22
Beyond the ones listed above, pretty sure Warren Strickland and Tom Miranda have posted here a bit.

15-Aug-22
Kurt Keskimaki finished up on his last year. He posts on here quite a bit. He introduced me to the bowsite way back in the late 90’s…

15-Aug-22
MrPoindester is planning on it. At this point I believe he has 29 to go.

15-Aug-22
Some thoughts on the current NA 29- it’s both easier and harder to get now then before!

Easier- our equipment is always improving, information is way more available, updated location, how too etc. travel, specialized outfitters etc. Also when Chuck first did it there was only the NA 27!! (Tule elk and CCBG caribou added)

Harder- there are less animals and more competition!!

Very few animals are more abundant than when Chuck first did it. I can only think of Desert Bighorn as more available. (G$CO did make Bison and Shiras moose easier with expanded geographic range than P&Y) while caribou is suffering- QL bou is closed!

But thin horn sheep Populations as a whole are way down, western big game decline, tags are just about impossible to draw, and when you do hunt will be competing with 10 other guys for the same animals!

Which leads to cost increases for the NA getting outrageous especially the last few outpaced inflation by a lot!! This is a killer if needing to repeat some hunts which all Slammers will inevitably have to do.

15-Aug-22
Thanks for the info guys!

One more request...............I know Jake and Tim’s bowsite handles, but not sure of others’

15-Aug-22
I should finish mine in the next few years, only have 27 species’ left

15-Aug-22
Wildwilderness and other interested bowhunters; I believe G$CO is marketing (and accepting harvests of) the expanded range bison and Shiras hunts in violation of a settlement they agreed to. The settlement stated all animals need to be taken in accordance with P&Y rules of fair chase. Personally I don’t care how a bowhunter takes their slam, as long they’re happy with it. What an incredible accomplishment! I’m just wanting to give a heads up to those who want it recognized by G$CO, if any animals were taken not in accordance with P&Y, they might not hold.

15-Aug-22
I had the dream, but reality is catching up to me. The cost of about 8-10 of them just puts it out of reach to most regular guys. Throw in multiple trips for a couple of them and it really hurts

I’m getting close to my super 10, and my deer slam. I will never have all 29, suspect I’ll stall out around 20 or so.

Quite honesty I’m not all that impressed with guys who do all 29 with a rifle, it’s just money IMO. But to do it with a bow is something really special.

Kyle Hudgins slam all make P&Y except 2 and he is working to upgrade those 2 soon. That is another level of accomplishment, I don’t know for sure, but I suspect Frank has one with all P&y animals as well.

43 is a small number, but there are some guys really close right now that should be finishing up soon (huntinelk), but after them I suspect a lull of entries.

—jim

15-Aug-22
Fred Eichler on the Leatherwall .

15-Aug-22
I have 7, nearing 81& I'm a poor man. Think I have a chance fellas? My hat is off to all those who do such an awesome accomplishment. My bowhunting started in 1956 & I have had an awesome journey & many adventures.. I thank God I was never interested in Sheep hunting.. Like one mentioned, cost today will prevent many from it.

15-Aug-22
I think I remember Dr. Frost posting quite a few years ago.

15-Aug-22
I suspect you’re right, JT. Like we were texting about the other day, I always had that dream but reality is rearing it’s head. It doesn’t help being an average at best bowhunter as well haha

Money and age will start to become obstacles at some point, but suspect I’ll end up with about 20/29. Like you, I want to focus on the Super 10 and my deer slam. Then probably add a few more species over the years.

16-Aug-22
Nice way to spend $500,00 or so. I fantasized about it once and priced out the trips. And that was assuming that I got everything on the first trip. Good on them for making it a place I never well. TMBB

16-Aug-22
Never count another man’s money

16-Aug-22
If I win the free broadheads on the IW giveaway, that would help offset some of the cost of the NA29. New Bowsite handle ‘handout slammer’.

16-Aug-22
The level of commitment that it takes to accomplish that goal is incredible. Balancing that goal against all that life throws at you and sticking to it is damn tough.

I’m at 13 species but have not been focusing on it much. Get distracted by things like exotics, work, and family. Keep hoping to draw some of the special tags (bighorn sheep, desert sheep, bison, muskox, Canada moose, etc) in different states to be able to do those without needing an outfitter as much as possible. Makes it really difficult to plan any big hunts when you are in the top tier of the points races and may draw any given year.

Then toss in the need to work to pay for it all… Hell, I have had to turn in tags for two hunts this year due to work and may end up not hunting much at all this year. Last year was not much better on that front. Pretty sure that I will be looking for a new job if I draw a top tier tag….

Hopefully, I will be able to keep after it and get to maybe to 20 or so.

16-Aug-22
I’m curious if any of the current or chasing “slammers” did anything radical, or out of the norm, to pursue their goal. Relocating to a different state/province, etc.

16-Aug-22
t-roy, most did something radical! Noska and Allen Ladd both relocated to Alaska. A lot of us started side businesses to fund hunts, some slammers when you meet them you wonder how someone so physically unassuming could do it. I believe some put off marriage/relationships. All made sacrifices to families and friends. I remember booking Carmen Island not knowing how I could pay for it, started refurbishing Restaurant Equipment and selling on a new site called EBay! Missed weddings, birthdays, anniversary’s and funerals.

When I committed to the Slam, a Great Friend and Professional Champion Fighter told me this: “The path may change but never the Goal”. These 8 words I live by and have served me well.

16-Aug-22
I think all NA 29ers possess 3 common qualities- desire, determination and dedication. These are essential elements of success- that is why they are NA 29ers ! I applaud them all.

The ones that I know or met, I have found them to be humble and helpful.

16-Aug-22
Each hunter successful with the NA29 should publish an autobiography on the hunts, what it took to get there, etc.

16-Aug-22
Habitat— both Chuck and Tom have books about theirs. Both worth a read if you were unaware.

—jim

16-Aug-22
Greg, they all possess one other fairly important attribute - disposable funds. I know how much several Slammers invested in the project, but that was a few years ago. Would be really interested in the cost now, especially considering the need for multiple hunts for some of the expensive species, and the inflation in guided costs for those species.

Some guys, like Kurt, moved to where they could hunt multiple difficult or expensive species DIY. Good for them!

My hat is off to you guys who have accomplished this!

16-Aug-22
Tim- that’s a good point.................forget the money and time off work- that is a huge sacrifice to miss those family events/milestones! (That you can never get back)

16-Aug-22
Lou, on Tim’s NA29 thread I added some info on costs. I looked at the “average” advertised costs in the BSC catalogue, and they totaled about $550,000.

When you factor in travel, tips, license costs, unsuccessful hunts, taxidermy bills, etc I bet the cost for someone starting now would be 3-4X that number.

16-Aug-22
The superslam entered my brain in 1989 or so. I was reading a copy of Bowhunter magazine. It was the big game issue or whatever they called it. Had stories of multiple species. I decided I was tired of reading and dreaming about them and decided that I was going to try to experience hunting them all. Later I came across Gary Bogner's videos of his superslam quest and that instilled the desire within me even more. I had a whitetail and began the superslam dream in 1998 or 1999. Will have to look back at what year that was. My second species was a Quebec Labrodor Caribou. We were in the migration bigtime on that hunt and saw 54 bull get killed the five days or so I was there. I was like a kid in a candy store and killed the first two caribou I had shots at. I remember thinking that I would wait until the end of the slam to chase caribou. They seemed easy. I am glad it didn't play out that way. Funny to me that I even contemplated it that way. QL caribou cannot be hunted now and Woodlands were being threatened to not be hunted at the time I went for them. My third species was a Yellowstone elk that I had drawn a tag for in New Mexico. I killed one the first hour of the first day and got back home a day or so before 911. After having killed three species, I turned to BSC for the next few hunts. Polar bear, mountain goat, and Dall sheep. After those species I began coming out of my shell and meeting other successful archers. Networking with others is where and when I became the most successful.

I sacrificed alot. Never married, never had kids, scrambled to make money for the next species. Lived and continue to live like a miser. Lost girlfriends because of that I think.

Some slammers have boasted that they are the first to do this and that. First with a bare bow, first with recurve, etc. My assertion is that I am the poorest slammer. lol. I was just determined and put my mind to it.

I have told people recently that if i didn't have any species or even a few, that I wouldn't pursue it today. Prices are getting pretty out of line in my mind. Stones sheep are 70 plus now I think. I had to go four times for my stones, twice for Polar bear, twice for AY moose, three times for Canada moose etc. I don't think I would be willing to risk it so to speak. I regret not having the money now because I would have liked to buy property here but have yet to do so. My focus was on the slam

It is a bit weird how I feel at the present. I do feel a bit depressed now. I do not have it to drive me, not in the way that thinking of its completion did. Not all of my animals meet P and Y so maybe I could try to improve some species in the future. I have to fiqure out what the next thing will be that drives me like the slam completion did. I think now that I will catch up on some taxidermy, think about better living quarters, etc. all the while sprinkling in a bowhunt here and there. And then there is my waterfowl habit. Half way to the slam of those feathered birds. Something to ponder.

16-Aug-22
Wow! Thanks to Tim and Ned for sharing their honest and candid comments on what it took them to complete the slam! It really puts things into perspective and shows what level of determination and extreme sacrifices it takes ..............................

You gentlemen have my utmost respect!

16-Aug-22
I bet if a bunch of us were wealthy and had a ton of free time that there would be a mess of us on the list. Its a great accomplishment for sure. But I have always said that if most hunters I know had access to land that pro hunters used that we would do just as good or better. I am not taking away from their accomplishment but something about being able to buy licenses and tags without worrying about cost, and travel freely, have time to stay in shape is a huge advantage over us john doe hunters. I am more impressed seeing a 65+ year man go after an elk with a bow and pull it off.

16-Aug-22
With all due respect to that last opinion, I say "whatever". I worried about cost, travel, and battled health issues all the way. Consider myself a john doe hunter and still do. It's all relative to a person's priorities. Simple as that. I have had people scoff at the accomplishment and that is fine. But if a person doubts the accomplishment, i say go ahead and try to do it and get back to us when they are finished. lol And I am not saying that to be boastful. 33 years it took since I desired it, did things that made it happen. Now that I did it, perhaps and most likely, I wish I would have focused on different goals. Kind of pathetic really.

16-Aug-22
No offense nchunter but as Ned said, some of us didn’t have the money or time either. The drive to hunt and finish something we told our friends/families we’d do made us figure it out. If you want something bad enough you’ll find a way. The pursuit of the slam helped me to become a better businessman, I was just a pizza maker when I started it!

16-Aug-22
If a man sets his mind to something and has the desire and determination to make it happen then he has what it takes to get it done. I have great respect and admiration for anyone who has that kind of drive and it's nice to have men here who have seen it through. To complete the NA slam with a bow is truly an amazing accomplishment.

16-Aug-22
Welcome the "must be nice" crowd.

I haven't completed the slam but have hunted all 29, as of now 3 have eluded me, I'm planning on changing that.

I can guarantee that pursuing the 29 and hunting in general have made me a more successful and driven business owner. Most guys that are driven to pursue the 29 are driven in other aspects in life. So much more to it than having a way to create the time and money to go on the trips.

I believe the misguided poster above is very far off on his assumptions of what it takes to achieve such a lofty goal.

16-Aug-22
Looking at the list of 43 people with an archery super slam....I see three "pro hunters"....Chuck Adams, Tom Miranda and Joel Maxfield. The rest of us run the gamut of careers.

Money certainly helps, but I managed to arrow 20 species of 29 on hunts that were not guided including 3 of 4 sheep species, all 3 moose, 3 of 5 caribou, 2 of 3 elk, all 5 deer, goat, bison, antelope, black bear. Drew some great tags around the west, lived in CO 35 years, (grew up in WI) all the while working for the same company before retiring young. I'd arrowed 20 species before moving to BC for another great job and some new DIY hunting opportunities. The chance to double dip with retirement income plus work income made the last few guided hunts possible as well.

Since it took me 50 bow seasons (1972 - 2021) and 2/3 were without guides to get 29 species, my costs were a fraction of what was discussed above....but I always was "thrifty". That said there was a ton of sweat equity involved those DIY hunts, especially Stone and Bighorn backpack hunts, most elk hunts, moose and caribou hunts etc.

Having great friends to plan and go on adventures with helped immensely...thanks Randy, Rod, Ray and Lyle, plus many others.

16-Aug-22
I am not taking away from their accomplishment but something about being able to buy licenses and tags without worrying about cost, and travel freely, have time to stay in shape is a huge advantage over us john doe hunters.

The guys I know that have completed the Slam absolutely worried about all of those things. They found time and made sacrifices to be able to afford hunts, take time away from careers and family, and to stay in shape to make it happen. The characterization of them as privileged doesn’t jive with the reality.

16-Aug-22
Gene beat me to it...the "must be nice" crowd is really something. Must suck to go through life with that kind of mindset.

Knowing several of these guys very well, that couldn't be farther from the truth, as explained by Tim, Kurt, Ned above.

nchunter,

Since it just takes money, If someone paid for your hunts to chase the 29 with a bow, but you have to pay them back double for them if you didn't kill the animal, would you do it?

16-Aug-22
Ha, I know several of the guys personally and acquainted with several others, nchunters hypothetical description does not come close to describing a single one of them. He has no clue…

—Jim

16-Aug-22
I admire the accomplishment very much as said before. I am not afraid to say I may be wrong about my judgement of the slammers. I assumed that they all must of been financially well off. I have hunted over 40 years and I know that there is zero chance I could of afforded to hunt like that and still raise my kids and pay for their colleges and weddings. I dont care what kind of drive I would of had to accomplish this, the real world would of coming rushing back to bring me into reality.

16-Aug-22

I bet if a bunch of us were wealthy and had a ton of free time that there would be a mess of us on the list.

I think you are WAY off! I think most people who are honest with themselves will admit even if they had all the time and money in the world, they wouldn’t have the drive, skill and/or determination to pull it off!

16-Aug-22
Kurt called himself thrifty. Ha! I’d say. Not cheap as he pays for dinner now as he did really well professionally. I know quite a few guys who’ve taken all 29. None are regular guys and their finances vary. I think a lot of guys who assume they could do what these guys have done have no idea of the skill and commitment level required. That said I have the utmost respect for all you guys.

16-Aug-22
I'm no archery slammer yet either, but whittling on it. I do know this.....most of the slam-seekers I know weren't just lounging around the bank vault one day, pondering a way to burn up a big chunk of cash, and suddenly realized "oh yeah....I could spend it on one of those slams". I believe it's kinda the opposite, for most. They discover that they're driven/obsessed to achieve the goal, and start working out a plan to overcome the scheduling & cost obstacles. Like Gene mentioned above, succeeding in your own business is one way to overcome the economic burden. No one is barred from taking that kind of risk, but few want to.

Also we hear carping on the high costs of top-end hunts these days, and it's true. I do my share of carping. But I'll bet in 20 years we'll look back in amazement at "how cheap" those Sheep and Grizzly and Tule Elk hunts were, way back in the early 2020's.

16-Aug-22
I admire Loesshillsarcher’s (Ned’s) honesty about his thoughts and reflection after this amazing accomplishment. There is often soul searching involved in evaluating any goal after complete. For some a void may be created. For others what’s next or What did I miss? Everyone of the current 43 that have done it will decide “what’s next”.

When I see Chuck Adams at age 71 with 6 past World records currently going for another I am awestruck at his drive. Bow Hunting offers every one of us a similar opportunity and it’s up to us to find our individual path. For me it’s bow hunt with family and friends a 100 days a year. Go for it guys “it’s later than you think”….

16-Aug-22
Nothing but respect and admiration for the guys that took on this extreme challenge. It’s not only expensive, it’s also brutal, physically.

I thought about it for a hot minute but I loved hunting African dangerous game and after I satisfied that urge I decided to spend the next phase of my hunting passion focused on buying and improving my own hunting properties.

You can’t do it all, getting the slam is a major commitment in time and money. Hats off to the slammers!

16-Aug-22

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
Ned- here is the issue I think you referred to and the article Neil Summers wrote…

16-Aug-22

16-Aug-22
Mathews man, that is awesome! Look at that price list!!!!!!! I’m living in the wrong decade ;)

—jim

16-Aug-22
I am nowhere near any sort of slam except my thumb in the screen door. I don't have close to the drive and skill these guys have to accomplish that. "Respect" doesn't even describe my regard for them.

I have accomplished and exceeded many of my life goals though, retired early, and I live to hunt. I have been very lucky in life, had some unlucky breaks, but also took career risks and worked my butt off at jobs and with bosses I hated, and made sacrifices along the way. I get the "must be nice" comments too, and to them I reply, "Why don't you figure out a way to earn more money?"

There's always an excuse, which usually involves taking the comfortable path instead of the path less taken.. I started as a ditch digger and became a Vice President. That's just one of the many great things about this country (for now..): We all have the opportunity to achieve massive goals if we are willing to accept risk, apply ourselves, make good choices, and look to the future. To you guys who are close, keep after it and share your stories when you get there.

16-Aug-22
Most of the costs have tripled.

I was trying to do a Dall sheep hunt with my dad in 2003 and was between jobs… even today $6k is not probable even if that were the price.

17-Aug-22
I respect most the mental fortitude it takes to accomplish the NA 29.

To be able to endure through the physical, financial, familial, relational challenges and most of all self doubt- in the ability to do it and the rationale to even attempt it-takes a mental toll on the psyche that may scar you for life….

It’s not for everyone, just those daring enough to sacrifice; maybe more than you bargain; for It….

17-Aug-22
What a great thread! Never even thought of doing this, not capable skill wise, physically or financially. Have a much greater appreciation now for what 43 individuals accomplished!

17-Aug-22
Wow! What an accomplishment congratulations to all of the Super slammers on here and thanks for sharing your story.

17-Aug-22
How many millions of hunters since the NA list was created? Only 43 accomplished it! Probably compares about to the odds of winning a big PowerBall!!

17-Aug-22

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
bigeasygator's embedded Photo
It was hard to make out a few of the numbers in the table, so I kind of took a stab at them. Nonetheless, here's a table showing how all of these hunt prices have changed from 1999-2022 using a rough average of the BSC catalogue prices. I've charted the total price increases and then also turned that into an annualized inflation rate.

For context, CPI inflation from 1999-2022 averaged about 2.5% per annum. You can see hunt prices for some of the most readily available species have basically stayed in line with inflation - deer, black bear, Rocky Mountain elk, etc. Some species - like Desert BH - have seen a lot more supply come onto the market which has kept inflation suppressed. With that said, you can see some fairly massive inflation (5, 6, 7% per annum from 1999-2022) in some of the lower-supply/high-demand hunts - sheep, Shiras moose, Tule elk, etc.

17-Aug-22
Just for those that are going to rush out there and get their Super Slam.....there are no Q/L Caribou hunts as they've been closed since 2017, so you can knock $6,000 off bringing the price down to $530K for 28.

17-Aug-22
From: Habitat for Wildlife 17-Aug-22 Have a much greater appreciation now for what 43 individuals accomplished!

Same here Frank!

17-Aug-22
I don't know any slammers but If I did I'd pester them more about investing than the hunts. I won't ever go for it, but I plan on doing as many as I can.

17-Aug-22
Big savings there Kurt...haha. On Tim's sheet on the bottom it mentions replacement of that species with a wolf is acceptable, not that that is an easy feat with archery gear. I know some here have taken a wolf with a bow, but not sure how many targeted one specifically or if the opportunity presented itself on a hunt for another species. Either way, a tough animal to get with a bow.

17-Aug-22
I’m one of the “degenerates” that did half with a bow and half with a muzzleloader/rifle. I realized early that doing it 100% with a bow probably wasn’t in the cards with repeat hunts, so I up’ed the odds. I have a ton of respect for anyone regardless of weapon that takes on this challenge. For those that say it only takes money…I know plenty of guys with the resources to do a Super Slam that don’t have the drive to do it. I always laugh about “it only takes money” line. Yes, it takes money, but it also takes a whole lot more.

Unlike Treeman, I’m impressed with anyone that attacks this endeavor regardless of weapon. I agree doing one with archery gear is elite and special, but I don’t discount the other 200 guys worldwide that chose another weapon. If it was “easy” or “all it takes is money”, there would be a whole lot more than 200 some Super Slammers worldwide.

17-Aug-22

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Good point Cory!

These days, I would say the “IT ONLY TAKES MONEY” argument applies far more closely to climbing Mount Everest(especially considering you can hire a Sherpa to “drag” your arse up the mountain now)- 4,000 have done that so far compared to 300.......................

17-Aug-22
I know one slammer personally. Gary Martin. A fine man, super nice and very helpful. If you ever get to meet him, you will be better for it. Not sure if he ever posted on BS or not.

17-Aug-22
The mental toughness of those who have completed it is amazing! I think I remember Chuck Adams talking about how he would refi his house to hunt, get home work his ass off to pay it back down then refi again for another hunt. If money and time is all it took there would be a lot more people on the list. I don’t think Trump jr is on the list and he has plenty of both.

17-Aug-22
As of the Spring 2022 Grand Slam magazine there were only 209 individual SSer's, of which 42 were taken with archery.

Those like Frank Noska with more than one archery SS are only listed once in the list. There is actually one hunter with a rifle, archery and muzzleloader SS! I've heard he is working on a handgun SS now.

17-Aug-22
It takes more than money. It takes more than determination and perseverance. It takes more than commitment.

It takes all those things AFTER Someone makes The decision they have any interest or desire to even bother trying.

People may be able To do 25 slams financially and just not care to even try. That does not mean they couldn’t, it means they may care less about trying for 10,000 other reasons.

18-Aug-22
I care about bowhunting enough to have the dedication for it. And I’m not rich but I’m at a point in life where I could see an actual way of pulling it off eventually financially as well…

All that said, I just don’t have the desire or drive or whatever you call it to fully complete it. I’ll be actively trying to fill 14 big game tags with my bow this fall, but zero are new species for me. I enjoy repeat trips with friends far more than the thought of certain new species. I’ll likely hit 20 or so eventually just out of my love for bowhunting and trying new challenges, but I’ll never kill all 4 sheep, I’ll never kill all 5 caribou, etc. I’m super impressed by the accomplishment and sacrifices made by those who have though! A Canadian sheep hunt would set me back the cost of a down payment on a beach condo down in Florida. One is ten days of memories all to chase a sheep a different color from the ones I can chase for the cost of a tank of gas. The other is something my family and kid (hopefully kids) can enjoy annually and pay for itself completely as a long term investment.

I love variety and new challenges bowhunting, but I can’t mentally justify a select few of the species for it to ever be a reality for me. It takes a level of commitment in other areas of life that I’m simply unwilling to make. I relocated to Alaska solely for hunting opportunities and now that I have my outlook has changed drastically. I’m content with exactly how I have it :)

18-Aug-22
Like most things in life, I think this is achieved primarily through drive and hard work, maybe even obsession. money won’t buy it. and if you have the drive and work hard enough you could achieve it without being rich. Congrats to the 43. And the 400

On a sidenote the analogy to Everest isn’t entirely accurate. the NA 29 is primarily an American endeavor so if we take only American Summits of Everest it’s 706

But even with that number it puts the 43 and the 400 into perspective

18-Aug-22
Sorry not 400, 209 total

18-Aug-22
The difficulty of most any task can be determined by how many have accomplished it. Only 42 archery slammers out of all the bowhunters in the world ? That should speak volumes !

18-Aug-22
I admire the passion and determination to complete the SS with bow. The men who completed it have clearly sacrificed many things in getting their goal accomplished. Well done men and Anna Vorisek!

18-Aug-22

Ned mobile 's embedded Photo
Ned mobile 's embedded Photo
I was sitting in this chair in my dorm room at about this time when I was reading the Bowhunter magazine and made up my mind to do it

18-Aug-22
Tmac, there is a lady SSer too!

18-Aug-22
Nice picture Ned!

20-Aug-22
Tip of the ol sombrero to you guys that made that sacrifice. Rare breed, rare air. Embrace it.

24-Aug-22
Dennis Dunn did the archery SS. I do believe it was all with a barebow.

05-Feb-24

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
2 more bowsiters added to the 29 list along with a couple to the Super 10 list this weekend.

05-Feb-24
Good things happening for good people.

05-Feb-24
That's awesome- congrats guys!

05-Feb-24
Outstanding, men!!

05-Feb-24
Congrats Lee and Jim (again!) and congrats Tom and Gene!!!

05-Feb-24
Well done that is something. They don't come easy.

What was the event where this was recognized.

05-Feb-24
Fun weekend in Nashville. Lucky to call all three of those other guys friends.

—Jim

05-Feb-24
SCI and GSCO convention in Nashville over the weekend, bou.

05-Feb-24
Some good people in that photo! Congrats you guys, even you Jim!

05-Feb-24
Very nice! Congrats guys!

05-Feb-24
Congrats again to Gene and Tom on 29!

Also to Jim and Lee on 10!

05-Feb-24
Congrats to Jim, Gene, Lee and Tom and all the rest who were recognized!

05-Feb-24
Pat— to be clear, Lee and I are only super 10 (archery). Tom and Gene are 29. Want to make sure that we aren’t implying that we are something we aren’t.

—Jim

05-Feb-24
Great accomplishment, well done men!

05-Feb-24
Congrats to you gents! Both levels of accomplishment are fantastic. Not many get the 10, and even fewer the 29.

05-Feb-24
I'm at 4. Might get to 5 in my lifetime. To all those who have done 1, 2, 8 ,9, 10, 29, or somewhere in between,... congrats. Any animal with a bow is a trophy.

Quite the accomplishment!

05-Feb-24
Wow, excellent! I know you guys earned it!

05-Feb-24
I havnt been active on here in a long time but I just wanna say thanks to everyone I’ve met on this site . There’s so many people on Bowsite that have helped me along the way on my goal of completing an archery super 10. Some of my best friends come from here ! Congrats again to Jim , Tom and Gene on completing their goals! Thanks again to everyone that’s been a part of my journey!

05-Feb-24
Congrats guys! Amazing accomplishments!

06-Feb-24
Congrats guys!!

06-Feb-24
Congrats guys! Great accomplishments...especially only using archery gear!

06-Feb-24
Congratulations gentlemen, heck of an accomplishment!

06-Feb-24
Outstanding! Huge congrats to all 4 of you!

06-Feb-24
1. Anyone who thinks all it takes is a pile of money to complete a Super Slam is speaking from a position of ignorance.

2. Dennis Dunn has posted on BS in the past and he has a coffee table quality book about his Super Slam called “Bare Bow”

Nathan Anderson used to post on the Leatherwall. I think Tom Hoffman may have contributed to BS way back in the day. Bob Speegle too.

I can’t think of a more impressive accomplishment than an all P&Y Super Slam

06-Feb-24
Congrats guys, you all have put in the work and sacrifice, well deserved.

06-Feb-24
The thought of a book should be in it for anyone that makes it, that would be some awesome reading and photos I'm sure. I know some have recapped hunts here, but it would be cool to read about things such as the logistics, prep work, issues along the way and even the unsuccessful attempts would be cool. Congrats to you all!!

06-Feb-24

bowonly's embedded Photo
bowonly's embedded Photo
Thanks to those who mentioned Dennis Dunn. He has taken the 29 with barebow. And he is only one short of having all qualify for Pope and Young listing. That not only means they meet the minimum scores, but also means each was taken under Pope and Young Fair Chase requirements! Among other requirements, that means they were all wild, un-fenced, naturally bred, and did not involve a firearm.

Along with his coffee table sized book Barebow!, he was recently published in Bowhunter Magazine. The article was Traditional Bowhunting and Trophy Hunting . For those who want to know about the motivation and commitment, it's a good read.

And, Dennis is north of 70 years old and still getting after it. To quote from the article, 'In the realm of hunting, if a person at age 65 no longer has a hunting goal that they've fixed their sights on, then it is very likely that by age 70, they will have become a couch- potato - barring having taken up some other outdoor physical activity."

06-Feb-24
Congrats guys! Awesome accomplishments

10-Feb-24
CONGRATS guys! And cool that y’all got a group picture!

Couldn’t imagine the level of commitment it takes to complete 10................let alone 29! Amazing!

10-Feb-24
Congrats fellas

10-Feb-24
Congrats fellas

11-Feb-24
Congrats guys! This is why I come to Bowsite to see all the accomplished and successful hunters.

11-Feb-24
Awesome! Congratulations to all!

12-Feb-24
I shot a lynx with the late Paul Lowrie in BC back in 2013/2014. He had the Barebow book in camp that I got to read through. If I remember correctly, it took Dennis Dunn quite a few trips for certain species.

12-Feb-24
Dennis is 83 (maybe 81) now. To still be hunting anything is quite an accomplishment. I know too many guys that hung up their bows when they hit 70 or so. And that is whitetail hunting, which is fairly easy compared to many other species.

• Sitka Gear