t-roy 20-Sep-22
JohnMC 20-Sep-22
JohnMC 20-Sep-22
JohnMC 20-Sep-22
Thornton 20-Sep-22
badlander 20-Sep-22
Grey Ghost 20-Sep-22
28-Aug-22
Holy cow day four in a blind and I finally have cell service at a new spot. Not even light yet and the day will feel like it is over before it starts!! Will try to post a phone pic or two once light.

28-Aug-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Day 1 & 2 blind

28-Aug-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Day 3 blind

28-Aug-22
Nice picture John. Good luck hunting!

28-Aug-22
Good luck!

28-Aug-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Today

28-Aug-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Sunrise behind me

28-Aug-22
I love blind hunting antelope by a waterhole. Best of luck.

28-Aug-22
g'luck!

28-Aug-22
Good luck John!

28-Aug-22
Great deal! This is like an impromptu semi-live hunt. Good luck....

28-Aug-22
Good luck!

28-Aug-22
Good luck John!

28-Aug-22
How bout some goat pics??!!

Good luck, John!

28-Aug-22
Most the goats (20ish) are about a mile away and across the road in section I hunted last Tuesday. They were there last Tuesday as well but I could not see from blind. One buddy drove by and told me they were same place they are currently and the landowner told me later in day they were on side of road I am on. They have three tanks they could go to. Mine being the furthest. Other two have cows on them. Maybe if when they get thirsty cows will be at other tanks and head my way. Can't see as much ground to east so who knows what might show from that direction. Grass is always greener....once you pick a spot it seems.

28-Aug-22
Would be “convenient” if someone parked a pick up by the other water holes.

28-Aug-22
Done that in past and would consider if cows were not in pasture. But they have a tendency to mess with trucks.

28-Aug-22
^....not to derail this cool thread too much....I can confirm horses will lean into the side of your newly painted truck and dent the side while licking the salt/minerals off the hood of your truck. I watched the horse try to "chew" the mineral off the hood and left numerous teeth marks in the new paint. The horse did it so quick it caught me off guard. So ya....I could see some pasture cows doing the same thing.

28-Aug-22
JL, I can relate to your horse story. When my Tundra was only a week old, I drove it to my neighbors ranch to remove a tree stand. My neighbor had warned me that his horses like to chew on new vehicle paint. As I parked my truck, I saw all of his horses were about 500 yards away, so I figured it was safe for the short time that it would take to remove the stand. When I returned to my truck, those damn hay burners were surrounding it, and they had put chew marks and dents on ever quarter panel, doors, tailgate, and the hood. I had to have my brand new truck entirely re-painted. That was a costly lesson learned.

John, good luck on your hunt. I never cared much for blind hunting for antelope, but I know a lot of guys really enjoy it. Hopefully they get thirsty soon for you.

Matt

28-Aug-22
Good luck John, that was always my favorite thing to hunt. I always described it as ten hours of boredom and ten minutes of pure adrenaline ! It’s surprising some times how they can sneak in on you when you think nothing is within a half a mile. I think they rise up out of the ground ! :-)

28-Aug-22
Looks like the same spot you hunted last year.

29-Aug-22
Nothing harmed yesterday. Work today. Maybe tomorrow

29-Aug-22
Good luck John. Hows the moisture in the area right now? Been thunderstorms and raining here at home the last 2 days.

29-Aug-22
It rained a bunch the day before season. Mostly dry now. Still standing water here and there.

Tomorrow is going to be the day.

29-Aug-22
Yea, water is a killer when you need dry.. Good luck & following your hunt.

29-Aug-22
Robert from CA: would expect no less from someone from CA. Tell Gavin high.

29-Aug-22
Good Luck tomorrow John! If you don’t see anything I’m blaming Dr. Kachi

30-Aug-22
Great pix, thanks

30-Aug-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Back at it. Frustrating start. I walked into the blind carrying a bunch of shit from the west (long ways in) because I didn't want to spook the goats that hang out just north of/at the section line. Then someone stops on road to north for 5 mins just as it is starting to get light. I think it might have been game warden. Almost texted the warden out here but was not a 100% because it was still mostly dark. Figured that would be a bad text to send at 5:45 if it was not him and he was in bed. It had the look of warden truck. Probably spooked goat in direction of the tank I was hunting last week. There none in sight currently.

View from the blind.

30-Aug-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
View to the east. Let's hope if they show up it is to the pond and not tanks. Normally that is the case. I am setup between them. It will be tricky to open up window to tanks if need be.

30-Aug-22
Good luck. I love being in a blind or tree stand watching the world wake up with the sunrise.

30-Aug-22
Slow day slow season. I've got a few hanging out across the road to the north. Hard to know how many for sure because there's a little bump in the terrain and I can only see them then there. At least two days I've been out here they cross the road and come to this tank so fingers crossed. One buck headed south about a half mile to my east a few hours ago. Not many seasons I've sat in a blind for five days and not killed one much less had this little action. So getting a little frustrated. But I have not heard the fat lady sings.

30-Aug-22
Gotta be rough in that blind it’s 91 degrees here. Stick with it man...nobody got time for fat lady singing! Good luck this afternoon.

30-Aug-22
5 does 209 yards and closing. Not that that does me any good.

30-Aug-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Couple drinking. I guess the species still drinks.

30-Aug-22
Scoot you are correct!!

I shot a dirt mound

30-Aug-22
So tank I hunted a mile or so a way and in sight Sunday I watch a bunch come to this tank and drink throughout the day. Well I just looked at that tank and about 20 are leaving it currently. Frustrating season.

30-Aug-22
How many more days do you have to hunt?

30-Aug-22
Are the does on the hit list after the 1st or is it a buck or bust?

31-Aug-22
Push my tag is buck only all season. JL hopefully only one more. If not we will see.

31-Aug-22
John...good luck today.

31-Aug-22
I've got to be honest and say I LOVE antelope hunting but am completely a newb at it. Have exactly 3 weekends (1.5 days of hunting each) over the last 2 yrs experience. Never out of a blind and never on a watering hole. Spot and stalk mixed with lots of waiting hoping they would mill into range after getting within 60-200yds from them. 6 days in a blind is amazing! Can't imagine how long those days get (especially if you don't have cell service). Hope you get your shot soon!

04-Sep-22
Back at. Same windmill as Tuesday. A few goat to the north. Going to be a hot day. Got my worn out luck hat on so maybe that the ticket.

04-Sep-22
I both envy you and pity you. Goodluck today John!

04-Sep-22
Keep after it, John!

04-Sep-22
They have to be thirsty... I know I am...97 beeping degrees here today. Good luck John!

04-Sep-22
I am going to have to check on my testicles. Just hoping you can't literally sweat your balls off.

04-Sep-22
We’ll take your word for it, John. No “pics, or it didn’t happen” necessary in this instance.

04-Sep-22
lol at t-roy.

Hope a good one gets super thirsty soon, John.

04-Sep-22
Thanks for the hunt updates. Fun following along.

04-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Slow day. Try again tomorrow. Sunset

04-Sep-22
I’m also cheering for you!

05-Sep-22
Today is the Day man!

Good luck, Robb

05-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Doe just came into 45 yards but never drank

05-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Same thing with a little buck just came to 50 but didn't drink. Didn't seem spoked walked away slowly and now bedded at 371 yards. WTF

05-Sep-22
Same thing happened to some guys I know in Wyoming this year. They just weren’t thirsty. Keep at it!

05-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Well my buddy just shot one on a ranch we can hunt 10 miles or so from here. Picture of his buck shot in last few minutes.

05-Sep-22
He is actually 7.87 miles and 137 feet lower in elevation according to OnX that what you do when bored in a blind

05-Sep-22
LOL good deal...now it’s your turn! Good luck John!

05-Sep-22
There are two spots a mile and half between. I now sat both of them twice each. Current blind I am in has been here since start of season. My truck is parked closed to the other one than the one I am in. The other blind I park 3/4 mile opposite where the goats hang out. Right now for the fourth time they have when to the water and drank at the one I am not at. No way they have any clue to where I am. Just bad dumb luck but it is pissing me off.

05-Sep-22
Are you using odorless mustache wax?

05-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
I have not had any on all weekend Troy. Maybe they smell it in my pocket. Got to keep it handy in case a hero shot.

05-Sep-22
Ha! Are you using any Dapper Dan in the hair?

Good deal for your buddy. Hope ya get a shot and pics today.

05-Sep-22
Well I just missed. Dove at 30 yards.

05-Sep-22
LOL so much for a confidence booster! Need an am/fm radio playing NPR at the other tanks. That should get them to commit suicide at your tank! LOL

05-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Does ugh

05-Sep-22
What did you miss? Big one?

05-Sep-22
He missed a dove…

—Jim

06-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Buck from this morning showed back up. Came inside 100 yards and stared and stared and stared but not come to water. Down wind, blind was there 3 weeks and buttoned up tight I was all blacked out. Only thing I can figure out is smelled me and would not commit. Another pretty sunset.

11-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Day 8 not optimistic. Rained yesterday. Currently 37 degrees and foggy. High today 79. Far from perfect antelope hunting conditions. New spot at least for this year. Kill a nice buck here a few years ago. See how I am feeling when sun comes up. Might turn into a day of dove hunting and spot and stock. Unfortunately this unit is flat and not great terrain for spot and stock, only killed one that way over the years. Can't kill one at home, but can't watch football antelope hunting either.

11-Sep-22
I’m watching a buck chase some does around right now, unfortunately I’m working and no tag anyway. Pull out the decoy. 8 outta 10 times it doesn’t work but when it does it’s awesome. Have to be patient, sometimes curiosity kills the cat. I’ve never killed one from a blind yet. Good luck John!

11-Sep-22
I'd love it to work 2 out of 10 times. Unfortunately that has not been the case for me. It is getting latter in the season and I have not hunted much this late so maybe they feeling the urge to chase a little guy off more.

11-Sep-22
Yep I hear ya there. I’ve decoy killed them in early September, but twice it was because some does got curious and started feeding towards me. The buck wouldn’t get out of his bed until he seen that. Probably sat there for an hour waiting behind the decoy. It’s a rush when they finally commit and gallop in.

11-Sep-22
John....I was hoping you would be out again and posting live stuff.

11-Sep-22
Few of the ranchers cows were out of pasture and on road so I called him. Fence battery dead so will be back soon with a fresh one. One buck bedded on hill about 3/4 mile out. He laid there when he pulled up still there after he left. Might stay here until he either comes this way or heads off another direction. He was telling me about a tank I didn't know was there and that goats have been hanging in area so I might go check it out. Just not sure with the moisture and cool temps if going to be a day for killing one over water.

11-Sep-22
Great pictures of your hunt, keep after them and good luck!

11-Sep-22
The conditions definitely won't increase your odds of killing one but at least the cool weather makes the sit a little more bearable. Goodluck today!

13-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Day number 9. I am begin the think my odds this season rank up there there with Sleepy Joe saying or doing something smart. But it is going to be warm near 90 today and dry. However currently I have on my puffy jacket. As I type this look up and small buck 370 yards out. Nice sunrise this morning minus the windmills.

13-Sep-22
Are you able to tell if there were any fresh tracks around the water hole to give ya an idea if they recently came in?

13-Sep-22
Lots of them but all of the bovine variety. This tank is used by cattle however he only using half the section so there is a Hotwire fence around tank so I can leave blind about 25 yards from water. To much grass in this side of tank to tell about tracks. Fence was dead Sunday and dead again today. Also I think it is high enough goats would go under and not get shocked.

13-Sep-22
Good luck today, John. I admire your patience and persistence. There's no way I could bake in a blind for that many hours.

Matt

13-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
I know it looks like a Thornton picture. That because they are about 1/2 mile away. But a good buck with some does in sight.

13-Sep-22
Herd is bedded over a little hill about 600 yards away. I reckon if I could go back I would have stared this as a live from CT hunt because it is as actioned packed as those.

13-Sep-22
I guess a belly-crawl sneak isn't an option? Maybe they will head your way after they get up...unless there is a closer water hole for them??

13-Sep-22
It's time for a doe decoy! If he has 18 He'll want 19 and come get her.

13-Sep-22
When you got 5 or 6 football fields and no cover between you don't have much of a play decoy or not. I am guessing I have killed 12-15 lopes over the years with my bow. All but one came from sitting my butt in a blind and waiting for them to show up. This unit just doesn't have the terrain to get close to them.

13-Sep-22
You could go Carlos Hathcock on them.....:-)

14-Sep-22

RD's embedded Photo
RD's embedded Photo
This works anytime for me when the bucks can see you

14-Sep-22
Do ya have to put antelope decoys upwind from your blind?

14-Sep-22
Most pronghorn country doesn't have concealing terrain. Hit the right time of rut, and I've had dominant bucks walk into bow range just trying to figure out what I was. A decoy makes it easier.

14-Sep-22
I always set my blind facing north and don't really worry about the wind. I do spray the decoys with a scent killer but that's about it. When the bucks see the decoy(s) and are hot they just run in. I set the decoys about 12 yards from the blind, I like close shots!

15-Sep-22
My favorite thread on BS. I'm rootin for ya!

15-Sep-22
I was just scanning my browser this AM. A hunter (Hank Osterkamp) just killed an antelope in NM that just missed a 30" spread!! Will post photo later as time allows (unless someone beats me to it)....no mention of weapon used.

17-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Well dammit that is currently dead center on my blind for the morning.

17-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
But I am going to have a positive attitude and going prepared.

17-Sep-22
I never go anywhere without a good butt plug, John. LOL!!

Matt

18-Sep-22
Lol Matt! Good luck John!

18-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Day 11 of solitary confinement. Not very wet out here. But about 3 miles west of me on drive out here looks like got a lot more rain. Did get at least a little here. Gloomy looking morning. It should burn of soon (I hope) get to about 85 this afternoon.

18-Sep-22

20-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Front
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Front
Day 12 last day. Interesting fact. From first day of season to last day, we have 1 hour and 33 mins less day light. Going to sit here half a day. If lopes are around stay if not go spot and stalking.

20-Sep-22
Might try running that newfangled looking mustache grooming tool through the stache for good luck, today, John……..What could it hurt??

Good luck!

20-Sep-22
What do you suggest Troy? Options are limited in blind.

20-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
A stone antelope on the plains build by a real Indian (at least a 1/16th Indian more than Pocahontas Warren)

20-Sep-22
Well I am the worlds biggest screw up. Gave a good glass no a lope in sight. Pull blind and drove and looked over another ranch maybe 5 miles away. Drove through it nothing. Came back to area of blind 45 mins later 2 including a buck drinking at water.

20-Sep-22
They will watch you leave. One time up near Ft. Collins, we watched a herd all morning grazing near a butte. As we pulled away, all of a sudden, they bolted across an entire mile, into a creek bottom, drank, then bolted back out into the safety of the open.

20-Sep-22
One trick I’ve had luck with is if you can drill a hole at the edge of a couple of old CDs and hang them with fishing line from posts next to the water holes you don’t want the goats to visit.

A little wind gets them spinning and glinting in the sunlight and the goats will avoid them.

20-Sep-22
I know the feeling of tag soup, John. And I feel your pain. But you gave it your best shot, which is admirable.

Matt

• Sitka Gear