DL 22-Sep-22
goelk 18-Oct-22
bigeasygator 18-Oct-22
GhostBird 18-Oct-22
tradi-doerr 18-Oct-22
29-Aug-22

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
Keep those judo points handy! They’re thick in my area this season!

29-Aug-22

29-Aug-22
I love "mountain chickens", and always have a judo point equipped arrow in my quiver.

Matt

29-Aug-22
There goes $30! lol

29-Aug-22
Adam - you’re a better shot than me if they only cost $30. I’m usually on my way back to the truck for more arrows:)

29-Aug-22
My 4 and 5 arrow in the quiver are the most beat up heads I possess.....to defend myself from deadly grouse attacks.

29-Aug-22

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
This "bird" thread could be pretty good if it keeps going. Folks getting birds with a bow is impressive. Getting a bird with trad is even more impressive. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

29-Aug-22
So it is the "blue grouse" that hangs out in the high country? I'm not good at Grouse identification.

29-Aug-22
Are they all white meat like Ruffed grouse?

29-Aug-22

KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
Here’s a few of the coastal cousins from spring ‘22. Hopefully I don’t get hammered too bad for the rifle kills! Think I have more fun chasing “hooters” in the rain forest than I ever did turkey hunting.

29-Aug-22
They are also know as and officially so in CO as dusky grouse. Not a difficult kill with a bow as many time the just sit there and let you shoot them at 20 yards. They are a great addition to camp food.

29-Aug-22
I have thumped many of them over the years with a rubber blunt. Always have one in my quiver. Great eating over a campfire or on the grill in fire ban years.

29-Aug-22
Love bowhunting the grouse! Hope to post some pictures soon

29-Aug-22
Great pics KB! Looks like a ton of fun!

29-Aug-22
John is correct. The Dusky grouse we have in Colorado aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, and are easy to kill with a bow. If you accidentally flush one up, there's usually at least 1-2 more that will hold on the ground until you can get a shot. I won't shoot at them in a tree anymore because it almost always results in a lost arrow, even with a Judo point. I like the Montec Small Game heads. They've proven to be accurate and durable for me.

Matt

29-Aug-22
Big Finn would be all over this thread! LOL

29-Aug-22
Thanks Poudre. Those are the Dusky’s cousin, the Sooty. More commonly referred to as Hooters up here in AK. In the spring the males stake out a big tree on a prominent terrain feature and send out an 8-9 note “hoot” from the very top, audible up to a mile or more. Thus the need for some glass and a scoped .22. It can be a frustrating couple hours getting to the tree and then finding the damn thing 150+ feet up sometimes. It’s a fun outing after a long dreary winter.

I was in Colorado earlier this month for a sheep hunt and heard a male down the ridge from my glassing spot most mornings. Just one loud note. Flushed him on my hike out the last morning, but no arrows flung as I didn’t think the season was open quite yet.

29-Aug-22
KB - dusky season opens September 1 every year in Colorado. I’m typically dove hunting for the opener, and don’t hunt them specifically very often because I’m usually chasing elk at that time, but never pass up an opportunity to fling an arrow at one when I see them. They really are delicious.

29-Aug-22
I've taken dusky grouse and sharptail grouse with the bow so far. Is there a "grouse slam" I can chase? It might finally be the slam in my budget.

29-Aug-22
Heck yeah, Brotsky!

You’ll need to get a ptarmigan and a Sage grouse to get the western species finished out. Then a trip east for the ones over there… Not sure what the name is for them. How many different ones are there, anyways?

Guess chukars and Himalayan snow cocks would be considered exotics?

I think I am ahead of you with blue (dusky), Sage, sharp tail, and ptarmigan so far.

Hopefully get a few blues and maybe sharp tails this fall… Do love eating them!

29-Aug-22

KB's Link
Here you go Treeline. Awesome resource for planning grouse slams!

29-Aug-22

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo

JL's Link
FWIW.....when I took the above photo of the bird, I was in Montana scouting in the mountains and it was on the side of the two-track. I did a little looking around to see what kind it was and found this MT.gov field guide of Montana birds. There are a bunch of them.

29-Aug-22

kscowboy's Link
Don't forget to get a HIP number in Colorado. This is easily overlooked and I'm sure a lot of people unknowingly violate this one.

29-Aug-22
They can be a bit "chewier" then chicken. We found that brining them overnight really improves their texture for frying. Otherwise, we brown them, then slow cook them in stews or pasta dishes. Some of my favorite elk camps meals have included grouse.

Matt

29-Aug-22
Absolutely loved chasing ruffed grouse in Michigan, and honestly it’s the one thing I miss hunting from growing up there. Question for the Wyoming/Montana peeps, are the populations of them up there worth a week or is it one of those bonus bird type deals? Planning on a Minnesota/Wisconsin hunt one of these years because I would love to get whipped in the face from aspen branches and stung by Yellowjacket’s chasing them again:)

29-Aug-22
Surprised to hear they are white meat, thought they might be dark meat like our prairie chicken in KS.

29-Aug-22
Brotsky and Treeline - Come on down to Georgia! We have a small population but I am happy to lead a chase through our small mountains to round out the slam. Might be dang near impossible with a bow, but that doesn't stop us!

29-Aug-22
Oohhhh I have the ring neck pheasant as well! I missed a chance at the ptarmigan on Kodiak last year. I’ll have to make another trip for that one. I also have a prairie chicken, partridge, and chukar but they’re gun kills so I’ll need an archery replacement for those.

29-Aug-22
Who needs a bow, I used to carry fishing pole and about 2 ft of line with a sinker on the end it. Just walk up on them, swing the line around their neck and pull their heads off.

29-Aug-22

Boreal's embedded Photo
Boreal's embedded Photo

29-Aug-22
Reminds me of the hunts I had for doves, rails, snipe, and timberdoodles back in MO. Super fun. Super tasty too. Quail and pheasant were fun too but I didn't like their taste as much....and unless you lived in the very north of MO it was hard to find them.

29-Aug-22
I have no idea how they aren't extinct. There's plenty of predators out there and those birds are not hard to catch.

29-Aug-22

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
I like to save my arrows for Beav to use. Stick is my weapon of choice.

29-Aug-22
Wow! The list is longer than I realized! It would be a darn fun one to do, though… especially with a traditional bow!

29-Aug-22
Thumped a few of them with rocks, in Colorado over the years, as well.

They’re a sucker for a back door slider….

29-Aug-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Mtn Chicken Nuggets and gizzards

29-Aug-22
OMG YUM~!!!!!!!

29-Aug-22
Yes sir…

29-Aug-22
Unlike cnelk, I save all my hearts and gizzards for a big gut feast.

We have ruff, spruce, blues and ptarmigan here. The ruffies are definitely the preferred table fare. Blues are pretty good and the other two are dark meat with older birds being tough. The ruffs are not too bad to get with a bow, the blues are near impossible and the other two are dumb as rocks.

29-Aug-22
I actually shot my limit one afternoon with the bow in Wyoming. Never thought I would do that!

29-Aug-22
Huntman those are spruce grouse not blue grouse.

30-Aug-22
Not very tasty. A few years ago, my buddies and I cooked the same bird about three times to get him tender! Think that had anything to do with it? :)

01-Sep-22
Ruffies are fantastic eating. I've taken them with rocks, a hatchet, bows, guns and even popped the head off with the F-150 differential. I'll take em however they come.

01-Sep-22
Shortstop, as I said earlier, if you would have brined your grouse overnight in salt water, it would have been tender. Alternatively, you can slow cook them in a stew or pasta dish, and the meat will fall off the bone. If you just burn one a stick over a fire right after killing it, it will be like chewing on leather in our experience.

Matt

01-Sep-22

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Tasty boot leather GG. Beats the heck out of mountain house. Of course the steak is cheaper than losing arrows all over the mountains.

01-Sep-22
I agree, LINK. I'll take just about anything over dehydrated meals. "Leather" was probably an exaggeration, but they are chewier than chicken, if you don't brine, or slow cook them.

Matt

01-Sep-22
Being that most think they are as dumb as a rock. May I suggest a few members that may consider changing there bowsite handle to 'Blue Grouse'?

08-Sep-22

Dax Morgan 's embedded Photo
My son with his
My son with his

08-Sep-22

09-Sep-22

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Love me some grouse!

09-Sep-22

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo

09-Sep-22

Beav's embedded Photo
Beav's embedded Photo
Great guide! Always has extra arrows just not enough of them.

09-Sep-22

Got this one with a rock.

Beav took all my grouse arrows.

09-Sep-22
Hunt that thing looks like it's ready to pull a Pat on you!

09-Sep-22

samman's embedded Photo
samman's embedded Photo
Get some cheaper rubber blunt flu-flu's for the grouse. They aren't as big a concern if you break or loose them. I always have one in my quiver.

09-Sep-22

09-Sep-22

17-Sep-22

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Elk Hunting is slow this weekend.

17-Sep-22
They had to change the name to "dusky grouse" because one member of the Blue Man Group was offended.

I've used the pioneer trick of flinging a 2' long stick at them just above ground level. Stuns them so you can grab them, and not waste an arrow.

17-Sep-22

17-Sep-22

Made a believer out of a couple grouse newbies at camp tonight.

19-Sep-22

WYOelker's embedded Photo
WYOelker's embedded Photo
William age 12 finally on the board…

22-Sep-22
I finally got smart and brought a pellet gun to camp.

18-Oct-22

goelk's embedded Photo
goelk's embedded Photo

18-Oct-22

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
bigeasygator's embedded Photo
Decided to give this guy a pass on my moose hunt. Assuming it’s a ruffed grouse and not a blue, but I liked the pic so I thought I’d share haha

18-Oct-22
Wrist Rocket slingshot is the way to go... or maybe a blowgun...

18-Oct-22
GhostBird, Last 6yrs I've been using my wrist rocket with 35# pull bands I got out of Germany. Using a 1/2" steel bearing knocks them dead, sounds like their getting hit with a bullet, so far I have taken 4 blue grouse with it. Unfortunately no birds this year, well missed one. Arrows are just to expensive these days to be flinging at small game.

• Sitka Gear