caribou77 20-Sep-22
caribou77 20-Sep-22
Outback 21-Sep-22
Boomer 21-Sep-22
caribou77 21-Sep-22
Boomer 22-Sep-22
caribou77 22-Sep-22
17-Sep-22
Ok I’m flying from Minneapolis to Toronto international then to Deer Lake Regional airport Newfoundland. When do I go through customs? When I arrive in Toronto or when I arrive in Deer Lake? And if it’s in Toronto how does that work if I’m flying with a gun or bow? And meat? I’m about a month out and booking flights and just confused as my only international flight was a nonstop to Quebec. My return flight leaves Deer Lake at 5:15 but the airport opens at 5 ( this is the only option and why I feel it must happen in Toronto)

My flight is business class so it includes 2 free 70lb bags so my thoughts are to stuff my bow and my clothing together, then on return I can fly 70# meat/ antlers back. If I take a rifle, that option gets used up and I can pay for an extra bag. But I’m worried about getting thru customs in time as layovers are 2 hours only ( which SHOULD Be enough time)

Business class has a priority line and I can skip the long line.

17-Sep-22
Toronto, they take your luggage off the plane, you pick it up wherever they tell you it will be , get in the customs line with it, once you clear, you put it back on the convair or whatever they use and they check it through on your connecting flight... hopefully.

17-Sep-22
You probably can’t but if there’s any way to avoid Toronto avoid Toronto the place is notorious for issues and if you happen to be using Air Canada it becomes a bigger challenge

17-Sep-22
Bou bounds right. Hard to avoid it though

17-Sep-22

17-Sep-22
Well aren’t you guys the bearer of great news. Unfortunately Toronto is my best flight. I could move my flight up to Montreal (where I’ve been) but my return is Toronto no matter what. I’ll just ship meat home to make it easier for me.

17-Sep-22
I went thru Toronto in May on Air Canada both ways with no issues. Customs will be done there both ways. Everything is digital now and we didn’t even have to pick up our checked bags any more. It was easier than before Covid. Have a great trip. I’ve been there 8 times and always drive. Everything goes with me and everything comes home with me.

18-Sep-22
Montreal is worse, I will avoid Montreal at all cost. If you can get a flight that goes to Halifax, that's a good option.

18-Sep-22
Weird, I’ve been through Montreal a bunch. Never an issue

19-Sep-22
Caribou... if its in any way possible and youre just taking your bow... use a soft sided case. I used a SKB hard bow case going through Toronto in 2018 and it caused me a shit ton of grief. Everyone assumes its a gun case. Caused me to miss my flight going and they pulled me off the plane on my return trip... but just made it back on before take-off.

19-Sep-22
Toronto is better than it was, but is still a PIA airport. Also be aware that you will be required to wear a mask while in the airport as well as on all Air Canada flights...

20-Sep-22
I had to wear one last year on Alaska air, I’ll live. Just need to break out the good old fake mask USA mask and breath easy.

20-Sep-22

21-Sep-22
Ask US Customs for a declaration form for your return entry into the US. ESPECIALLY if you take a rifle and try to return without a prior declaration form filled out and stamped so no questions asked when you return to the US.

21-Sep-22
Went thru Toronto last year and it was a cluster. Montreal this year was an absolute breeze! (Both times en route to NFLD)

21-Sep-22
Do I have to declare my archery equipment yet?

If there’s a rifle involved it’ll be the outfitters. Not even messing with that, I know it’s not that hard to take, just don’t feel like messing with it.

22-Sep-22
They asked if I was bringing a weapon, I said no, just archery tackle. They put it through as regular luggage. No sweat. I suggest flying first class as your luggage is marked and loaded priority.

22-Sep-22
Always first class

• Sitka Gear