Beendare 18-Sep-22
Iowabowhunter 19-Sep-22
PECO2 19-Sep-22
backcountrymuzzy 19-Sep-22
Hackbow 19-Sep-22
RJ Hunt 19-Sep-22
Grey Ghost 19-Sep-22
17-Sep-22
I’ve got my favorite replaceable blade knife, a good edc knife but next up I’d like a camp knife (also saving for an Iron Will skinner as I’m a huge fan of their heads).

Something that can withstand prying, good steel & not serrated. Think “end of the world” type survival Bowie style knife.

Whatcha got? I’d prefer a non commercial (like no Buck or Gerber brand) but more of a entrepreneur type guy.

17-Sep-22

Well-Strung's embedded Photo
Well-Strung's embedded Photo
I made these 2 San mai Damascus camp knives this year. I've started to like a bigger custom for camp chores and general work.

17-Sep-22
Sounds like you need a KA-Bar

17-Sep-22
My go-to all purposed end of the world survival knife would be my Randall Model #18, made with 440 stainless steel. The handle is a convenient storage for waterproof matches, or other fire starters. The handle cap also has a compass. The 440 steel is tough enough to take almost any abuse, easy to resharpen, and doesn't corrode.

Matt

17-Sep-22
Buck 104 in 3V

17-Sep-22
I'm with DanaC, Ka-Bar... For a beater camp knife, you can get a KA-Bar knockoff for under $25, got mine a Master Cutlery MT-122MRCS in March for $19.99 plus tax at Dunham's ...

17-Sep-22
I have owned many been blessed . Really like the " Off Grid " Back Country fixed blade . 60 bucks plus tax off AMAZON . A heck of alot of knife for the money .

18-Sep-22

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
This is my camp knife I make. Is a clay hardened W2 high carbon.

18-Sep-22
Dam RJ. Your knives are a thing of beauty! Good job.

18-Sep-22

18-Sep-22
Thanks Lung

18-Sep-22
My favorite camp life would have to be a multi tool….an old Sog with pliers that I carry

19-Sep-22
Ah man RJ that is fantastic. I’ll be reaching out via Instagram once we get our house sold & all moved in!

19-Sep-22
Knives of Alaska Bush Camp Knife.

19-Sep-22
Been using a Ka-bar USN Mark 1 for years as a camp knife for splitting wood (batoning) and everything else you're not supposed to do with a knife and it has taken zero damage. The black rubber grips they use are awesome

19-Sep-22

Hackbow's embedded Photo
Hackbow's embedded Photo
I'd also like to find the perfect camp knife. But camp means so many different things, that the best knife for one type of hunt isn't necessarily the best for another.

So far, my favorite all-time, do-everything blade is a Gerber with some serrations, so it already misses on two of your criteria. It has been a full-tanged, thick-spined, rubber-scaled beast.

Certainly not pretty, but I've used it to skin and break down animals, split wood, food prep, dig out broadheads from trees and pry stuff. It has held up extremely well. Don't remember when I bought it, but it was not expensive.

Of course, this model is no longer offered. If I needed to buy another all around blade, I'd probably get the Gerber Strongarm.

19-Sep-22
I kinda agree that a camo knife can mean many things.

A camp knife for me is simple chores like food prep, cutting rope, and other simple things. I use a hatchet for the hard work.

19-Sep-22
The original question is conflicting. A "camp knife" and a "end of the world" survival knife are 2 different tools, IMO.

Matt

• Sitka Gear