blackbear62 19-Sep-22
blackbear62 19-Sep-22
blackbear62 19-Sep-22
Tody 20-Sep-22
hdaman 20-Sep-22
deerhunter72 20-Sep-22
deerhunter72 20-Sep-22
19-Sep-22
Bought a portable induction cook top and stainless pot off Amazon. Set it for 200 and walk away. It only stays on for 3 hours then I have to re-start it but I don't have to worry about anything else.

Doing my elk now, I did two deer with it last fall. No more worry about bones falling off or teeth falling out due to to much heat. Just simmmer and wash off with the power washer.

19-Sep-22
Can you post a pic or two? I’d be interested to get one. Thx

19-Sep-22

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo

19-Sep-22
I have a portable induction like that. Never though about using it for skulls. Great idea! I've got some metal lacquer pails that are taller than a standard 5 gallon pail so usually leaves some space under the nose. Keeps the nose together longer.

Bonus is when you get the nasty spillover it won't burn to the propane unit lol.

19-Sep-22

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Can't get the link to Amazon to post
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Can't get the link to Amazon to post
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Here is the one I bought off Amazon 1800W. As well as the eight gallon stainless pot. The elk head just barely fits.

Apauls, I don't get any nasty spill overs due to never reaching a boil.

19-Sep-22
Just buy a Spud vide. set at 180 degree for 24 hours. Power was. Works great. I have down deer bear and my moose with it.

19-Sep-22
Sous Vide cooker also works well. As does a standard electric cook top (vs. induction). I too have gotten sick of propane, having to refill, etc. Good info.

19-Sep-22
Tracker I have a sous vide but my wife cooks with it. I don't think she will let me use it. I was also worried about it clogging up with the meat coming off the head is the reason I didn't go that route.

19-Sep-22
If using a sous vide I assume you’d want to bag the skull somehow, no?

19-Sep-22
I bought a cheap sous vide on Amazon, only use it for skulls, no bag and it doesn't clog and I just pressure wash it off to clean it at the same time I do the skull. A cheap fountain pump ~160gph can be used to pump water onto the portion of skull that is above the water level. They can sometimes clog or be damaged by the heat, but they're only ~$10 on Amazon so not a big deal to replace them.

19-Sep-22
Stainless will not work on induction

19-Sep-22
I went electric years ago. Its saved me hundreds of dollars on propane.

19-Sep-22
Some stainless will work on induction, some won't, it depends on the metallic makeup. Still, I'd think it would just be easier to get a standard electric burner unit.

19-Sep-22
Luckychucky it's working on mine. Just had to make sure the pot had a flat bottom.

19-Sep-22
"Maceration"

It's possible without any heat,just room temp. Takes a few weeks and is fairly disgusting. But it works all the same

19-Sep-22
Just buy a Sous vide. Set at 180 degree for 24 hours. Works great. I have done deer bear and my moose with it. No need to bag it.

19-Sep-22
Thx for the ideas

19-Sep-22
Interesting on the Sous Vide. I'd never thought of that. You must have to bag it? I imagine you submerse the head head it full of water so the air is out and then bag?

19-Sep-22
I have an old deer skull (10+ years old) in a wire crate that I tried to let mother nature take of. It kind of worked but not really. I may try one of these methods to finish it! Do you think this would help clean up the last remain parts still? Anything needed in the water to brighten the skull? TODDY

19-Sep-22

Tody's embedded Photo
Tody's embedded Photo
Just get a water heater element from home depot or similar and a large container (I use a sturdy plastic), mount the element at the bottom of the container, fill with water and boil away. Cost is probably $10-20 and you no longer need the propane. The inductive top should work nice also.

19-Sep-22
In a good dirt pile build a box with holes too small for rodents and just bury for a week or two, the bugs will clean it up. Then bleach if you like.

19-Sep-22
How do you keep antlers above water so they don't bleach out? Cabela's sells a "buck boiler"

19-Sep-22

4nolz@work's embedded Photo
4nolz@work's embedded Photo
It's all electric

19-Sep-22
4nolz@work the only thing I have in the pot with water is dawn Dish soap to cut the oils out of the skull. It doesn't discolore the antlers. Whitening comes after its clean. That's when you don't want to get the product on the antlers.

19-Sep-22
With souse vide cooker you DO NOT need to put skull in a bag.

19-Sep-22
If the antler is submerged in boiling water it will change color

19-Sep-22

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
4nolz@work, the water never boils. I set the temp at 180 to avoid the bones coming apart and the teeth falling out.

19-Sep-22
Ahh

19-Sep-22
Tody could you show a picture of your set up. Thanks. Mark

19-Sep-22

19-Sep-22

20-Sep-22

Tody's Link
blackbear - I don't have any photos handy at the moment. Just look up "homemade buck boiler" and you will get some great ideas. Basically its a bucket, a heater and some electrical cord and you are almost done. Found some video that shows the item.

20-Sep-22
Some great ideas here, thanks! I would also like to get away from propane.

20-Sep-22

deerhunter72's embedded Photo
deerhunter72's embedded Photo
I don’t use propane anymore either. I macerate in a bucket with an aquarium heater until all the meat is gone. Then I degrease several days on low heat using a bucket heater in a timer. Then whiten with 40 Volume. Macerating takes time but is gentle and doesn’t mess up the nasal bones.

20-Sep-22
Scrappy, that is a good idea with the induction heater. I like that it keeps the temp low and is on a timer. Something to consider.

• Sitka Gear