smarba 20-Sep-22
WhattheFOC 20-Sep-22
Will 20-Sep-22
Beendare 20-Sep-22
aDrenalinJunkie21 21-Sep-22
WV Mountaineer 21-Sep-22
Beendare 22-Sep-22
19-Sep-22
But hey its archery related for once, and not political............. I think.

I am upping my arrow weight to 475 grains, from 400 grains.

Do you folks think that under twenty yards the two arrows will hit the same? I would like to use my 100 grain judo points on my remaining lighter arrows for grouse, while I am elk and deer hunting. Better to blow through those arrows than the new 20 dollar arrows.

19-Sep-22
No, they won't for me. But the only way you will know for sure how it affects you is to try them.

Also depends to a certain degree on your draw weight/grains per pound percentage.

19-Sep-22
I don't think that you need to change. 400 grains are more than adequate for deer and elk. If you just want to change, go ahead. I don't think the point of impact at 20 yd will be the same. Just my opinion. Scott

19-Sep-22
If your shoot well it won’t be the same. If you spray arrows hither and yon you may not be able to tell the difference.

19-Sep-22
Highway Star, that ship has sailed, stuff is is on its way. I agree with you but I am curious to see if I also get some better broadhead flight. I have no complaints, been shooting the same thing for twenty years. I figured 475gr is the perfect compromise between not too light and not too heavy.

19-Sep-22
I would just shoot a few and see what happens. When my form is good and my release is clean, I can get away with a LOT in the way of spine variation. And I’m shooting off of my fingers. If you’re using a trigger, your release is bound to be a helluvalot cleaner than mine will ever get.

You could also get yourself some glue-on Judos and some screw-in adapters for glue-on broadheads and come out a lot closer to your BH total weight. The glue-on Judos are 135, so you’re half-way there. Between steel & aluminum and short/long, there’s gotta be one close enough.

And/Or you could put on some much bigger fletchings if they shoot squirrely…

Your built-in advantage is that it’s hard to get a compound arrow too stiff, so no telling what you might be able to get away with…

19-Sep-22
The lighter arrows will likely shoot 1-2" higher at 20 yards, assuming your bow is well tuned, and you shoot well enough to tell the difference. Not a big deal, if you remember to aim a little lower on small game.

Matt

19-Sep-22
They’ll probably be about 15 FPS slower. But they’ll hit harder, have more penetration and hold their speed longer. Well done.

19-Sep-22
At 15fps. difference in speed there will be about 5ft.lbs difference in energy.

20-Sep-22
How well can you shoot? If you can hit a half dollar at 20 yds every time then the lighter arrow will be slightly higher. I don’t think that will be a big deal for small game. 30 yds and farther will be the more noticeable differences.

20-Sep-22
Yeah, close range like that I bet almost zero difference at 20-yards, especially when you're talking about flinging arrows at small game I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll know for sure after you shoot a few times.

20-Sep-22
I have two arrows that I shoot from my hunting bow. The light one is 518g :). The heavy is 705g. The difference in impact point at 20 yards is very little. I use the 705 from a treestand where I will only get a 20 yard shot. I set my slider for 21 yards and forget that I’m using the heavier arrow.

20-Sep-22
Pete - I think you MAYBE go 1" off or something. inside 20, I bet it's small enough to be hard to really parse. I mentioned it on the MA forum as well in your question there, but I think the best move is just to shoot both, see what/if there is a difference, and then you can just adjust aim if needed.

Go get some mountain chickens!

20-Sep-22
Move your sight and they will hit the same.

475 is a good weight and good all around performer. Your bow will be quieter with less vibration.

just make sure to BH tune your bow….

21-Sep-22
I forget where I saw it, but I think if you have a difference of more than 10 grains between arrows, you'll see the ballistic differences at 20 yards.

At 100 yards, its a 1-2 grain difference to see ballistic changes.

My practice arrows are 400 gr, my hunting arrows are 500, and boy. There's a big sight adjustment to be done end of summer.

21-Sep-22
At twenty and under, the difference in impact is going to be determined by draw length and draw weight. The longer and higher of both will shrink it dramatically.

On a compound, the difference for me is less then an inch at 20 yards. . But by the time I get to 30, it has stretched to about 3” low. 40 yards is about 8. 50 is a foot low.

If I could add sone inches of draw length, those gaps would tighten sone. The longer the draw the closer those differences would be.

People truly under estimate the role draw length has on an arrows trajectory.

For reference, I draw 26.5” and shoot 70 pounds on my compound.

I hope that helps put things into reference. Good luck and God Biess.

22-Sep-22
“I forget where I saw it, but I think if you have a difference of more than 10 grains between arrows, you'll see the ballistic differences at 20 yards.“

^ Maybe in scientific tests

I saw a comment by Randy Ulmer years ago where they asked him how many grains did it take for him to tell the difference in arrows ( on the 3d range) I think he said 15g.

It really depends on your shooting ability. A guy shooting angle of pie plate at 30y is not going to be able to tell the difference in +/-30g.

I would say as a WAG, that the avg decent compound guy 65# shooting an avg hunt arrow 450g+ at bowhunting distances 40y and in …..can’t tell the difference with 25g.

• Sitka Gear