badbull 20-Sep-22
RonP 20-Sep-22
orionsbrother 20-Sep-22
Grey Ghost 21-Sep-22
greenmountain 21-Sep-22
fuzzy 21-Sep-22
20-Sep-22

Grey Ghost's Link
OK, this may be a little "out there" for some, but....Ever since watching the The Horse Whisperer starring Robert Redford back in the late 90s I've often wondered if some humans truly have a unique ability to relate and communicate to certain animals.

We all know that animals can read a human's body language. For example, horses can sense when their riders are anxious, or afraid. Many of us see it almost daily with wildlife around our places. Deer and turkeys around my place rarely pay any attention to me, as long as I do the same. But, as soon as I stop whatever I'm doing to stare at them, they suddenly become aware of me and alerted. But my question goes beyond animals simply reading human body language. Do you think the concept of an animal "whisperer" truly exists?

I ask because for some reason wild foxes seem to have little or no fear of me. The first time I experienced it, I was about 2 miles deep in the wilderness elk hunting. I spotted a red fox on the game trail ahead of me. I assumed he'd spook as soon as he saw me, but instead he just sat there as I approached. As I walked by, he began following me like a dog right on my heels. He followed me for probably about 500 yards before he decided to go on his way. I'll admit, the thought that he could be rabid and might attack without provocation entered my mind, but he showed no signs of aggression whatsoever.

Since then, I've had 2 foxes that lived behind our condo display the same behavior. The latest one is this little silver fox in my video that I took last Sunday (see link). Yes, I know I shouldn't feed him, but he loves baloney, and, well, I just think is damn cool that I'm the only human he'll get close to. It's not like I conditioned him to food, either. He's showed no fear of me from the first day I saw him. Yet, as soon as he sees anyone else nearby, he spooks.

So, do any of you think you have some sort of weird connection with a certain species of wild animal? If so, I'd love to hear your stories, and/or thoughts.

Matt

20-Sep-22
Foxes are just that way. The only red fox I've seen in my town exhibited fearless behavior and just trotted under the yard light and stared at me from 30 yards before trotting off under the yard light. Foxes I've encountered near Grand Lake CO behaved the same way.

As for deer, once you figure out how they react when you're on the ground with them, will determine how good you can get at stalking. That being said, their behavior will vary from season to season, and property to property.

20-Sep-22
“So, do any of you think you have some sort of weird connection with a certain species of wild animal? If so, I'd love to hear your stories, and/or thoughts.“

Mutual connection with wild animals in general…no. With individual wild animals based on interactions over time…yes.

Ironically, we had a red fox hang around us elk hunting this year for about 30 minutes. I chalk it up to a juvenile who didn’t know any better.

20-Sep-22
I communicate with my 10yr old everyday. She is an animal, it’s amazing!!!

20-Sep-22
My experience is foxes are one animal that for whatever reason often isn't afraid of people. I've had them just watch me, had them hang around nearby, and on several occasions while butchering game had them wait for me to toss bones, fat scraps or whatever to them.

So I hate to rain on your parade but I don't think your interaction with foxes without fear of humans are particularly rare. All of the interactions I describe were away from towns/civilization.

20-Sep-22
Not wild animals but my son’s girlfriend is a magnet for both our dogs. We have a Sheltie that just showed up on our porch two years ago and has been here ever since that doesn’t like anyone to touch him……..except her. She can pet him and touch him all she wants. Our JRT acts just like a puppy when she’s here and he’s a senior citizen. I can’t explain it but it’s there.

20-Sep-22

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
There's a reason foxes are what they are in fairy tales. They're super smart and it doesn't take them long to access whether they are quicker than the animal around them and to test the limits. Up north we see them pester polar bears and steal from their kills.

This spring I was on the tundra and shot some birds. A couple hundred yards off I noticed this cross fox. Turns out they had a den right there. When it first noticed me it bolted. The wind was howling and it was downwind. I knew it would catch scent of my dead birds. Over the course of the next half hour it worked it's way closer and would run every time it spotted me, but then turn around and come closer again due to the smell of an easy meal. I decided to sit down and see how close it got and pick up my camera. I was pleasantly surprised to watch it work to 20 yards and grab a bird before I chased it off. I thought it was funny. Well it turned out to be a real PIA because the thing got so ballsy that I couldn't get him away. I also couldn't carry 9 birds for a half mile back to the quad in one shot with a shotgun and camera gear. Turns out as soon as I separated myself by 8 yards from my birds he's be in there like a dirty shirt. I had to leapfrog my birds in two batches in 8 yard increments all the way back to the machine lol. Very quickly I became the slower polar bear as he worked his way in for a meal. They recognize top end predators, they recognize that we are slow, and they watch for opportunities.

20-Sep-22

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Testing the wind

20-Sep-22
I knew an older fella when I was a kid that could let a skunk out of a trap without getting bitten or sprayed. He'd talk to them like you'd talk to a cat or dog and reach right down.

On Saturdays my dad would take me to the fur post to turn in my furs and that is where I met him. He smelled the skunk on me one day and said he'd show me how to take care of skunks without getting sprayed. Needless to say, it didn't work for me.

Watching him do it was something I'll never forget. I do think some people can just connect with certain species or animals.

20-Sep-22
I had a gray fox follow me for quite a distance barking all the way. It apparently wanted the several abalone that I was carrying from the beach.

20-Sep-22
I really believe you should not look a deer in the eyes.

20-Sep-22
Around here the foxes are super tame. Can feed them by hand

20-Sep-22
Thanks for your response, guys. I never had any experiences with foxes until we bought our place in Winter Park 15 years ago, so I was unfamiliar with their traits.

One thing that made me think they were extremely wary of humans was an article I read many years ago in one of the major outdoor magazines. The author was an accomplished traditional hunter and a student of Native American cultures. He claimed that a common tradition in many tribes was young would-be hunters had to go out in the woods and physically touch their quarry before being allowed to hunt and kill them. So, he decided to see how many animals he could actually touch in the wild, himself.

He was already a knowledgable woodsman, and good at reading sign, trails, etc... so many of his small game "touches" were by sitting and waiting on known trails. He talked about sitting for hours, with an arm draped over a trail like a tree limb, without moving a muscle. For some big game animals he developed a method of super slow motion stalking while in complete view of the animal. He said the animals wouldn't pick up on the motion, if he went slow enough. We're talking taking 2-3 minutes to complete one step. Try it some time, it ain't easy.

Anyway, he claimed he was successful at touching almost every lower 48 animal that Indians typically hunted, then he ranked them by difficulty to touch. I don't remember all the rankings, but he claimed the fox was the most difficult. Of course, who knows if any of his story was the truth, but he was convincing to this young up and coming bow hunter.

So, I guess I don't have any special fox whispering gift. Oh well, it's still pretty damn cool to have one eat from your hands, then lick your fingers, IMO.

Have a great evening every one.

Matt

20-Sep-22
Lots of tame foxes around Steamboat. Used to live in an apartment and had them come in and basically eat out of my hand like a dog or cat. They tame up pretty well around people.

Now, I would definitely not recommend that with the moose or bears in Steamboat....

I have snuck in close enough to touch mule deer, elk, and whitetails on a number of occasions. No whispering!

Have had several instances where I stalked in too close to bedded mule deer bucks to get a shot with my bow when they stood up. Pretty sure I would have been better off with a spear...

20-Sep-22
Maybe they heard you’re not that great of a shooter. Just sayin’

20-Sep-22
I was hunting by a swamp one day and see these animals running up the trail at me I was like wtf so I get my phone camera ready and I’m getting ready to take the pic and they just kept coming closer. I see they are a family of otters and they get to like 6 feet from me and turn around and run then stop turn around and come right back to me was pretty neat. I knew of a fox hole at work and one day brought some leftover lunch back and pulled the truck up like 10 feet from the hole put the dish out on the ground and out it came and sat and ate while I watched no care in the world.

20-Sep-22
I read somewhere (many years ago) that a bear will never forget the scent of a track that led it to a gut pile.

20-Sep-22
Treeline, I've been close enough to touch elk and mule deer in spot and stalk situations on a few occasions. In ambush situations, the list includes whitetail, coyote, rabbit, grouse, ptarmigan, raccoon, badger, and opossum, not to mention various rodents and snakes.

It's funny, but some of those encounters are more memorable than game I've killed at further distances.

That's what bow hunting is all about, IMO. Not launching 100 yard shots, even if you are capable of that shot.

Matt

20-Sep-22

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
This Fox family watched us as we watched them (20 feet). We also have foxes come to our back deck looking for scraps & never run when I open the deck door (8 feet away). Coons by the droves (as high as 15 one time) Some run, some just look & a couple have learned to come to the door for a "cookie". Deer "do not" hang around when they see a person even walk by a window or door & Coyotes know I will try to end their life.

20-Sep-22
MP - You got that right!!!

GG - Absolutely! Those super close encounters make life worth living! Doesn’t get any better than getting to petting distance after putting out the effort on a long stalk, on the animal’s home turf…

20-Sep-22
HAHA mulepower with the win, best response

20-Sep-22
You're not using fox urine for aftershave are you Matt? ;-)

20-Sep-22
WW, not unless fox urine smells like Old Spice Fresh Scent ;-)

Matt.

20-Sep-22
Yep. Black bears seem to be attracted to me. When I worked in the woods, I saw them daily sometimes. It’s gotten to the point they come in my yard.

Anyways, no matter where I go, I see them. And, they are always close. Often under 15 yards. I’ve never tried to hang out and be buds with one. But, I’m pretty certain I could find one in a metro park.

20-Sep-22
Regarding close encounters, coons have been the worst for me. Years ago a raccoon chewed a rope thru that I had hung a deer with in the Black Hills of Wyoming. I then had to fight the coon for the bagged deer on the ground in the middle of the night. What has scared me the most, even more than almost being gored by a bow hit buck in thick brush, was a huge owl that swooped down on me in a narrow creekbed with wings spread wide and talons poised for attack. Don't know what it was defending or what it thought I was but it made me jump aside and fall on my rear end scaring the crap out of me. Some of my bear and rattlesnake encounters come to mind, but they do not top this bird incident for me.

20-Sep-22
this thread reminds of the seinfeld episode when kramer had kavorka. :)

20-Sep-22
Had a button buck feeding within six inches of the heel of my left boot.

Hunting up North at a buddy’s place, I left him out in the woods to hike back to his cabin. He admonished me to “walk normal” down his quarter mile plus driveway because there were deer frequenting the area. I shrugged at the end of his driveway and started sauntering down the driveway, whistling as I walked. At about the halfway point, I saw a young buck looking at me from some trees just off the side of the driveway. I kept whistling and walking and at about fifteen yards, I hesitated and shot him. He was no monster. It wasn’t an epic hunt, but it cracked me up and still does.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just whistle as I stomp to my stand like a logger or something, maybe a surveyor or timber cruiser, but I still try to slip in quietly in the dark. Until I almost step on a grouse.

21-Sep-22

21-Sep-22
Animals measure you by the way you act. Generally stealth puts them on alert. Many years ago I was invited to ride a friend's father's horse. I am not a horse person. I got onto the saddle and the horse walked me around for a bit. I dismounted and the friend got on. The horse immediately bucked and threw my friend off. His sister explained that the horse would only let the father ride him. I never knew exactly why he gave me a pass. I have had my share of close encounters with wild animals too. If you sit still as if napping they often get very close.

21-Sep-22
I dated a lady a few years ago who claimed to be an animal magnet. She may actually have been a squirrel magnet. Definitely a nut.

• Sitka Gear